Sign in to follow this  
Themistocles_

Random English destroyers

23 comments in this topic

[-GR-]
Players
16 posts
10,864 battles

A new event is always welcome and it is a thing that will spice up the game.The way it is implemented though ,i find it,faulty.

Giving random tier dd is a minus to anyone who will get it (if he will get it).You give an advantage to random players by luck!So what happens if someone does not get the tier 8 dd?Why should he stay behind in research?

I think there should be a timeline where EVERYONE gets just one tier the lowest so the advancement will be equal for all.%22Averof%22_at_Spithead_Naval_Review,_1

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles

It is not a big deal.

The idea is:

• spread the launch of a new line over a longer time frame
  • the queue will be less full with DD
  • when the launch comes, players will be at different positions of the tech tree and start research from there, which benefits MM
  • the playerbase will not jump into Tier II ships en masse and disrupt the MM
  • new players will face less more experienced players as some of these do not need to research the low Tier ships
  • players are motivated to play more to get the containers and maybe the mission for a new ship

It brings a lot of advantages for the game as a whole.

• Cool 3

Players
19 posts
2,088 battles
2 hours ago, Themistocles_ said:

A new event is always welcome and it is a thing that will spice up the game.The way it is implemented though ,i find it,faulty.

Giving random tier dd is a minus to anyone who will get it (if he will get it).You give an advantage to random players by luck!So what happens if someone does not get the tier 8 dd?Why should he stay behind in research?

I think there should be a timeline where EVERYONE gets just one tier the lowest so the advancement will be equal for all.%22Averof%22_at_Spithead_Naval_Review,_1

Done the Acasta quest and haven't got the ship!

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles
24 minutes ago, Wardy_2018 said:

Done the Acasta quest and haven't got the ship!

Do you still have the mission?

Did you re-check your port?

[BAD-B]
Players
652 posts
2,345 battles

The problem I have with these kind of giveaway (like the French BBs before) is that there's not way to go backwards in the tech tree ... basically if I get the T8 DD and I want to try the lower tiers, I have to spend FreeXP or grind from scratch ... there should be a possibility to go back in the tech tree for just ship XP.

• Cool 1

[-GR-]
Players
16 posts
10,864 battles
15 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

It is not a big deal.

The idea is:

• spread the launch of a new line over a longer time frame
  • the queue will be less full with DD
  • when the launch comes, players will be at different positions of the tech tree and start research from there, which benefits MM
  • the playerbase will not jump into Tier II ships en masse and disrupt the MM
  • new players will face less more experienced players as some of these do not need to research the low Tier ships
  • players are motivated to play more to get the containers and maybe the mission for a new ship

1.I am not sure if it benefits anyone 

2.the queue is already and always be full of dds when there are new missions that have to be done by....dds!

3.nothing benefits mm it is exactly the same with or without new ships.The algorithm obviously does not change.Being at a higher position at the tech tree was my point.Either give all the ships with an easy grind from 5-8 or do the launch in stages with only one tier at a time!

4.There was never a matter of tier II since it begins from tier V.

5.Again the point is NOT to hope that you get lucky.If i hope for luck i will play Lotto!This is a game where everyone should have equal advancement if he does not pay ofc.

In conclusion the event is good the implementation is not.You enthuse the players but take away the fun in 3 days!You know there are people who play only weekends or maybe a few hours during the week.What are they to do?Hope?

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles

1. It benefits at least me

2. There is a difference between many DD and 300+ DD in queue

3. See 2

4. The line starts at Tier II, that is the point....

5. There is no equal advancement, never was. Better players who play more advance faster.

When you play rarely, I am pretty sure there are A LOT of other ships to research!!

Even I do not own all Tier X ships yet.

1 hour ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

The problem I have with these kind of giveaway (like the French BBs before) is that there's not way to go backwards in the tech tree ... basically if I get the T8 DD and I want to try the lower tiers, I have to spend FreeXP or grind from scratch ... there should be a possibility to go back in the tech tree for just ship XP.

The Free XP nedded for Tier II and III are laughable.

There is a good chance you have some/enough XP left on the precursor ships.

And Tier I ships are free, so it is easy to get the XP for Tier II.

Players
1,159 posts
9,109 battles
Vor 17 Stunden, ColonelPete sagte:

Yes but of course there are also negatives, mainly that it's a let-down every time you open a container and don't get a British DD while everyone else seems to be getting some and they are driving around all over the place, playing their shiny new ships. And on top of that, the ones that were privileged by the luck of the draw anyway, can now also complete missions inaccessible to the ones who are left out. Piling privilege on top of privilege for others.

It is a recipe to spread frustration, not the least since there are obviously a lot more containers out there without the DD missions than ones that have them.

I really have the feeling they don't quite think these things through. Which is all the more puzzling since the whole basis of their business model that they are exploiting is the human brain's addiction to dopamine and instant gratification. Just like social media. (more: https://medium.com/@Reece_Robertson/why-youre-addicted-to-social-media-dopamine-technology-inequality-c2cca07ed3ee)  So basically you should assume they are aware of these basic interrelations.

Instead, with this launch model, they are withholding the gratification from a sizeable portion of the player base while dangling it tantalizingly in front of their noses. Never mind there's a fun RN Arc to play. The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. That is how people are wired. The RN DDs could also be complete turds (they are indeed not the easiest ships to make work, at least the ones I got) and this model would still lead to a lot of completely predictable frustration.

And what is completely beyond me is that they then go and restrict some RN Arc missions to not only Tier V but Tier VII and above. So they are piling frustration even on those lucky enough to get an Acasta or Icarus in one of their boxes. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to even lift any and all Tier restrictions from all the British DD missions. Then, people too frustrated by not getting the promo DDs and unwilling to wait or miss out, could have just bought a Campbelltown in the shop or ground coal to get it from the Arsenal. It would still have left some people frustrated but at least there would have been some way out. This way, people just feel trapped. And once you feel wronged this way, it is not easy to get your head out of the blue funk and focus on other things instead.

Especially if this game is what you use to compensate for the misery of your daily life anyway. But I digress.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles

It all depends on your expectations.

Contrary to what Themistocles wrote in his starting post, the event is not a "minus to anyone". Everyone gets stuff! And probably a lot of it!

The ships are just a Bonus.

4 days after event start, around 70% of the active playerbase got at least one ship. Considering that some people bought containers, I would guess that around 40% of the active playerbase got a least one ship, after just 4 days of the event. The event will run for three patches....

[BAD-B]
Players
652 posts
2,345 battles
4 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

1. It benefits at least me

2. There is a difference between many DD and 300+ DD in queue

3. See 2

4. The line starts at Tier II, that is the point....

5. There is no equal advancement, never was. Better players who play more advance faster.

When you play rarely, I am pretty sure there are A LOT of other ships to research!!

Even I do not own all Tier X ships yet.

The Free XP nedded for Tier II and III are laughable.

There is a good chance you have some/enough XP left on the precursor ships.

And Tier I ships are free, so it is easy to get the XP for Tier II.

well maybe for you ... but my example: I have the Bismarck from the event, I'd like the Gnei however as well ... tier 7 is something like 150k freexp iirc ... same with the T8 british DD for example ...

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles

And where is your problem?

You got the Bismarck for free, not the Gneisenau. If you want the Gneisenau, you have to research her like everyone else.

Alpha Tester
176 posts
1,483 battles
5 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

-snip-

At this point I must agree with you.

I'm almost done with the RN Arc and no sign of any RN Destroyer drop. Quite frustrating.

Worse, once I've unlocked all the RN crates there is no further chance of getting a drop, right?

[-GR-]
Players
16 posts
10,864 battles
21 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

It all depends on your expectations.

Contrary to what Themistocles wrote in his starting post, the event is not a "minus to anyone". Everyone gets stuff! And probably a lot of it!

The ships are just a Bonus.

4 days after event start, around 70% of the active playerbase got at least one ship. Considering that some people bought containers, I would guess that around 40% of the active playerbase got a least one ship, after just 4 days of the event. The event will run for three patches....

The ships are not just a bonus!That is what we are looking for not droids!The idea to get a premium with event currency is fantastic but my point is different,I will get a tier 8 and by launch time i will have a tier 9 while some other unlucky bastard a tier 5 which will be a tier 6.Is that fair?I will be much closer to the tier 10 than him and if i have free xp (which i personally do) finish the line immediately.So i can go with my dar(l)ing to clan battles while others who would like to play that ship cannot. 

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles

The ships are free. You are not entitled to them.

And not everyone needs new ships for Clan Battles and I am not sure if they are good for Clan Battles.

[ETD5]
Players
268 posts
1,602 battles
On 23/9/2018 at 7:54 PM, 69thBuLLeT said:

At this point I must agree with you.

I'm almost done with the RN Arc and no sign of any RN Destroyer drop. Quite frustrating.

Worse, once I've unlocked all the RN crates there is no further chance of getting a drop, right?

RN Arc lasts for 3 patches. The current event lasts 4 weeks, so you almost completed the first week part of the event, 3 more to go. So you still have more chances to get the mission of at least one of the RN DDs

Players
1,159 posts
9,109 battles

Also it definitely doesn't help that certain very well known CCs / Youtubers seem to be suspiciously lucky at the draw. I don't even mean to suggest there are shenannigans going on but it's just not a good look.

[BEWBS]
[BEWBS]
Players
6 posts
3,896 battles

This community appears to be unable to be happy about possible free stuff. Whenever there is an event where you will get free premium consumables/Super flags/camos with the slight chance of receiving something better (a ship in this case) everyone starts raging about not being lucky...it appears everyone feels entitled to receive every bit of free stuff! Hey News for you guys: Even with ALL quests done, you will have to invest 0,89€ for some Guineas if you want to get the HMS Cossack at the end of this THREE MONTH long event which will throw free stuff at you every week!

Get off your high horses, do your quests, hope for a ship and be happy about the guaranteed camos. And bringing in some of these tinfoil-hat-theories of better draw chances on CC's....ffs. REALLY? Get over it, some people win the lottery, most of us never will. That's how RANDOM number generators work!

And now something less salty and a bit more constructive to the topic: I think the possibility to get the DD's (or french BB's back then) is a clever method to keep the server populated and the premium shop incomes high. WG wants to sell their premium containers (which have a better draw chance on the ship missions) and the more of the UK DD's are around and doing well, the more people will go for a pack of premium containers. Simple econmy school first grader stuff. Create a demand if you have the supplies. The chances are not bad. Just with the free containers from the first leg of the event I got the Icarus quest. Clanmate got the Lightning, others bought 40 preemium containers and also only got one ship quest. I think this is a nice way of WG to offer a little bit of a head start...and I for myself really apreciate that as I hate T5 and below gameplay in a new shipline that everyone is grinding at that moment. Some of you might remember the introduction of German DD's...anyone ever was in a 12v12 G-101 match? 24 DD's? You really want that back? :D

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles
1 hour ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Also it definitely doesn't help that certain very well known CCs / Youtubers seem to be suspiciously lucky at the draw. I don't even mean to suggest there are shenannigans going on but it's just not a good look.

They spend money...

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles

They spend enough money (biggest package or more; what did you spend?). Some of them earn their livelihood by being a Youtuber. Buying crates to get the DD is a business investment.

Alpha Tester
176 posts
1,483 battles
9 hours ago, Vlad_Vado said:

RN Arc lasts for 3 patches. The current event lasts 4 weeks, so you almost completed the first week part of the event, 3 more to go. So you still have more chances to get the mission of at least one of the RN DDs

Thank you :cap_like:

[CU]
Players
298 posts
3,439 battles

If it helps OP, I have unlocked the T5 Acasta, I would love to unlock the T8 but am not going to complain that I got a free ship and am closer than I was to the T10 before I got it. I hope to unlock the T8 in the upcoming stages but if I don't I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Sign in to follow this