Better than tanks?

20 comments in this topic

Question

19 answers to this question

Players
1,159 posts
9,109 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, lukas8778 sagte:

Is this game better than tanks as I do not like getting hit by artillery?

In this game, you'll be hit by aircraft carriers instead, pending their castra^h^h^hrework in a few months' time.

It's still a LOT better than Tanks though.

For starters, at least theoretically, every ship can damage every other ship. You may at times still feel helpless but there will never be a matchup where there isn't even the theoretical possibility of scratching your opponent's paint.

Also I find the spotting mechanics are a bit more straightforward. You can actually see your opponent a lot more often. once you get a bit used to how things are done, and even if you don't see them, you always know when you are being seen without having to either grind hundreds of games or spend 50 bucks to have sixth sense. After a while, you also learn to develop at least a general idea where any unseen opponents likely are and what they may be doing, and will generally be right more often than not (hopefully).

Also, although without a premium account it can be a bit of a nasty grind at times, at least I never feel as though I was being completely milked and could only make meaningful progress or even have fun by relentlessly spending cash. (Which may have something to do that I in fact do spend relentlessly anyway, but that's neither here nor there ;-)

Not everything that glitters is gold of course, but regarding wholesome enjoyment, it's really no contest.

But do get an invite code from another player though and if need be, set up a new account with it, because the goodies do make life a lot easier, especially if you don 't want to get a premium account right away. Texas is not the best premium ship by far but she can be made to work and at least you have some kind of a cash cow. And as christmas draws nearer, there will probably be really good discounts on offer once again. By then you should have gotten your bearings.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
592 posts
2,686 battles

Tanks is a great game, as is wows. they are entirely different games tho, with completely different gameplay and skillsets required, and both have their issues.

• Cool 2

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,269 posts
7,425 battles
1 hour ago, lukas8778 said:

Try wowp if you haven't played yet after they reworked it.

Beta Tester
40 posts
2,728 battles
On 22.09.2018 at 11:29 PM, Nautical_Metaphor said:
Spoiler

In this game, you'll be hit by aircraft carriers instead, pending their castra^h^h^hrework in a few months' time.

It's still a LOT better than Tanks though.

For starters, at least theoretically, every ship can damage every other ship. You may at times still feel helpless but there will never be a matchup where there isn't even the theoretical possibility of scratching your opponent's paint.

Also I find the spotting mechanics are a bit more straightforward. You can actually see your opponent a lot more often. once you get a bit used to how things are done, and even if you don't see them, you always know when you are being seen without having to either grind hundreds of games or spend 50 bucks to have sixth sense. After a while, you also learn to develop at least a general idea where any unseen opponents likely are and what they may be doing, and will generally be right more often than not (hopefully).

Also, although without a premium account it can be a bit of a nasty grind at times, at least I never feel as though I was being completely milked and could only make meaningful progress or even have fun by relentlessly spending cash. (Which may have something to do that I in fact do spend relentlessly anyway, but that's neither here nor there ;-)

Not everything that glitters is gold of course, but regarding wholesome enjoyment, it's really no contest.

But do get an invite code from another player though and if need be, set up a new account with it, because the goodies do make life a lot easier, especially if you don 't want to get a premium account right away. Texas is not the best premium ship by far but she can be made to work and at least you have some kind of a cash cow. And as christmas draws nearer, there will probably be really good discounts on offer once again. By then you should have gotten your bearings.

I am a player that has migrated from WoT and I find this game much more enjoyable. 

Adding to the points made by Nautical_Metaphor :

• WoWs has no concept similar to premium ammo;
  • overall balance of ships at tiers feels pretty good and stock vs fully upgraded difference is smaller than in most tanks;
  • captain (crew) experience and skills are done SO MUCH BETTER here;
  • experience / credits bonuses are also done better;
  • more frequent special events / game modes.
I also feel that classes of ships and even some ships within their class are just much more diverse and offer different playstyle experience.
I have around 25k battles in WoT,, but I just don't think I will bring myself back to tanks anytime soon.
  • Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles
26 minutes ago, Dehtre said:
  • overall balance of ships at tiers feels pretty good and stock vs fully upgraded difference is smaller than in most tanks;

Never played tanks, but WoWS got a lot better in this regard compared to its old self. Stock IJN BB with WWI stock hulls that had (at times literally) no AA even at T8, retarded stock range and handling. Stock Myogi in T6, back when CVs were still silly OP, those were the fun times. Get spotted from way beyond detection range (still a thing in stock, though they fixed it so there are no ships that can be spotted from further than they can return fire in top configuration), then get stealth fired by whatever wants to crap on you. Might be a Fuso that can be almost untouchable to you or a CV ends your misery.

Some "fixes" these days are questionable, but a good few things we got in the past really helped.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,073 posts
5,843 battles

Another WOT player here (20K ish battles across servers); I don't think WOWS is *better* than WOT as such, but it certainly is different, and has a number of advantages:

• No premium ammo; I don't believe this ruins WOT, but I prefer the AP/HE approach that WOWS has.
  • Being up-tiered is (usually) less of a disaster than in WOT - I played one game on WOT yesterday, in my premium Firefly; first thing I encountered was a 252U; you can imagine how that went. That kind of stuff is less prevalent here.
  • I don't believe MM is any better in WOWS; now that lots of people have T10 ships, and with the emphasis on playing high tier ships, the MM for T8s is about as bad as it is in WOT. That said, because of the previous point, it matters less.
  • For the moment at least, the in-game environment appears to be less toxic; you still get abusive tossers, but there seem to be fewer of them.
  • Although they're an extremely long way from being perfect, the team running WOWS seems to be rather less bad than that running WOT at things like customer engagement/communications etc.
  • Different pace - WOWS is generally more contemplative, and less frenetic than WOT; which is better will depend on your mood/preferences.

I play both, and which I pick depends on my mood, and how burned out I am with one or the other; lately, I've been mostly playing WOWS though - largely because of the better balance between tiers (I'll jump back into WOT if/when they reintroduce FL mode again)...

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
592 posts
2,686 battles
43 minutes ago, Dehtre said:

I am a player that has migrated from WoT and I find this game much more enjoyable. 

Adding to the points made by Nautical_Metaphor :

• WoWs has no concept similar to premium ammo;
  • captain (crew) experience and skills are done SO MUCH BETTER here;
  • experience / credits bonuses are also done better;
  • more frequent special events / game modes.
I also feel that classes of ships and even some ships within their class are just much more diverse and offer different playstyle experience.
I have around 25k battles in WoT,, but I just don't think I will bring myself back to tanks anytime soon.

All those points are very true, but i would add that your lack of diversity in tanks is most likely because of those 25k battle ;)

Beta Tester
40 posts
2,728 battles
4 minutes ago, thiextar said:

All those points are very true, but i would add that your lack of diversity in tanks is most likely because of those 25k battle ;)

This of course may be a part of it.

But take a look at all available consumables. At captains build variants that all are viable. At huge variety of weapon types.

WoWs just is more diverse. 

Players
886 posts
7,318 battles

I'm a Warships main, Warplanes is my #2 -- dabbled a bit with Tanks (a ~thousand games).

Some thoughts:

• Grind in Warships feels easier than in Tanks, especially when it comes to in-vehicle equipment.  (But Warplanes is still easier compared to Warships)
  • Community is definitely more mature in Warships compared to Tanks.
  • New-player experience is far easier in Warships. As noted above, you can always hurt the enemy. Insta-killing is not common -- and if it happens, it was most typically something you could've avoided by playing better.
  • Pace of game is vastly slower in Warships -- matter of taste whether this is good.
  • Warships is generally very successful in having distinct tactical roles for different ship classes. At times rewarding team play even in Random queue. The core game is actually very good.
  • Aircraft Carriers are somewhat similar to Artillery. They are about to be reworked entirely due to balance issues. But they're not so bad. You can see the planes coming, and there's arguably more you can do to counterplay them compared to artillery in Tanks.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,073 posts
5,843 battles

OP: I might also make the observation that it's fairly easy to stay at least tolerably arty-safe in WOT - it's just a matter of practice.

[GEUS]
[GEUS]
Beta Tester
270 posts

Anything is better than World of Tanks.

I played over 6 years of Tanks but the old problems will never go away in that game. Playing the lowest tier in any tanks battle just plain out sucks, while playing high tier tanks is very expensive to maintain and the premium ammo spam has taken alot of the challenge out of the game. I dont think this will ever change because it all helps WG to sell more premium account, premium vehicles, and other packages on their shop. I can get that a game needs to be profitable but Tanks has the dial tuned up to 11 and WG doesnt seem to care about its Tanks playerbase aslong as they keep paying up. 

So I pretty much moved over to Warships. Compared to Cashcow of Tanks, things are more down to earth here. In this game, high tier gameplay is actually affordable for the average player credit-wise, even without a premium acount. You can even farm credits in these kind of ships fairly easily. Clans are actually usefull in this game for the average player, even if you dont play clan battles at the highest tiers. Clanbases can give you permanent bonuses in special currencies ingame (except doubloons), nice experience point boosts  and can safe you credits on repairing/buying ships. 

Players
345 posts

The game is quite diferent that World Of Tanks. Do not take this as granded though because the majority of players came from world of tanks.

So...despite the numerus tutorial videos made by this developing team , players still act/play like the way they play in world of tanks.

I explain. I always listen the "order" Destroyer scout the "x" area.

I see players stoping their HUGE Battlehsips behind rocks like they do when they cover their tanks.

I see players moving their ships in reverse like they do in the majority of Heavy WoT Tanks.

I see players staying all the time (camp) in bases like they do in WoT.

I see players move all together forgeting that most maps have more than one winning area and most likely they wil be surrounded and find them selves under crossfire unable to respond!

All these unfitting to World of Warships tactics are a direct heritage of players that spend years playing world of tanks!

Playing a ship is neither a tank or a piece of artilery alone.

But this developing team has its share of respinsibillity why players play ships like playing tanks.

Maps full of rocks and small islands (ocean map is more than rare), spotting system that allows 100m long Destroyers to remain unseen in distances less than 3kms!

That is a direct heritage of the AUFULL gameplay of World of Tanks developing team where a HUGE (like a two stores building) anti-tank machine (tank destroyers)  remains unseen ONLY because they are in a certain class of vechicles!

Another negative direct heritage of wot in wows developing team is the entrance of a large ammount of imaginary or never builded ships that apear superior of battle proven ships.

In wot such imaginary tanks are superior than M48 AND OTHER REAL TANKS.

Conclusion. Yes its a diferent game ONLY if you see it as diferent in your eyes. Otherwise you will play it like you play in wot and lead your teammates in huge ammount of defeats.

• Bad 1

[-GG-]
Players
160 posts
10,601 battles
On ‎22‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 6:51 PM, lukas8778 said:

WoWs imho is the best WG production.

1) NO PREMIUM AMMO ADVANTAGE.

2) Each class has its role and can be decisive. No "free frag" feeling from WoT.

3) There are exceptions, but in general premium ships do not prevail and aren't as OP as in WoT

4) Much better economy, easier grind and much, much better specials, bonuses etc. WoWs is fully playable on high tiers even without premium account.

and a very important one:

5) WoWs plays for objectives, not for run'n'gun "who rushes first" WoT-basic strategy. In WoT two, three idiots that die early equall game over. WoWs = no big deal, team can pull it back. 

Players
11 posts
3,790 battles

As former tankie, in my opinion this game is much better. More balanced, more fun. On top of it there are almost year round all sorts of events/personal missions and oppertunities to get free premium ships. 

Players
5 posts
3,490 battles

Yes, it is definitely better. Much more counterplay options and less static gameplay are the most important things to me. I came here two years ago and haven't looked back even once.

Players
542 posts
5,476 battles
On 9/22/2018 at 5:51 PM, lukas8778 said:

As others have said, WoWs is quite different from Wot and in many good ways.

I played WoT for too long after the game became more roflstomp 6 or 7 minutes of stupid than something that used to be longer, more enjoyable and something that could be somewhat planned rather than reactionary and unplanned.

Generally (but not always...) WoWs is slower paced and games tend to last to full time.

No arty - I quit before the arty nerf and can't really comment on current arty play, but arty was another reason I quit WoT. You will experience Detonation though. It's a wtf moment when it happens, but it doesn't happen often and you learn to laugh when it does.

And you get free anti detonation flags when it does happen ;)

Folk play WoWs because they want to play WoWs, there's less afk/rage quitting/crap talk/team damage. 

Just learn to not torp from the second line...

Play WoWs and have fun :Smile_honoring:

[DSPA]
Beta Tester
256 posts

All in all , at the core ... it's basically the same thing - the only thing different is the slower pace of the game , lack of premium ammunition (replaced by the use of flags in theory). Concepts like angling are still present but others like aiming are obviously different.

1. They constantly release OP premiums or normal ships that are OP just to make people grind towards a certain line . Nerf it in a few patches . Just like in WOT. Some just in time for Ranked (Harugumo I'm looking at you , LoYang when was launched etc)

2.  CVs take the role of Arty. And yes , they can kill you in one "drop". CVs make much more difference in game than arty did in WOT.

3.  Same unbalanced gameplay and worse in consistency than WOT.  (meaning you played gearing all your life having a specific playstyle and then let's release harugumo to basically change everything about how you play your gearing - basically changing your brawling play style to a hide and seek playstyle )

4. WG can't balance games . Actually no , WG does not want to balance games. Balance in MMO does not make money.

5. It's basically the same MM / RNG that frustrated you in WOT but now you CAN do damage to that +2 tier BB and no more bounce bounce bounce nonsense you saw in WOT.

5. If you are playing at a casual level (a few games a day)and don't care about performance it could be better and more fun involved than WoT   - once you see the shortcomings and lack of balance .... nah you realise the bad sides and it would not be so fun anymore.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Sign in to follow this