Sign in to follow this  
the_british_admiral

cossack captain skills

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
2,580 battles

Could do worse than use the exact same skills as you would for the Haida to be honest..

Players
3,581 posts
7,346 battles

Multipurpose build gets the job done just fine

Przechwytywanie.png

replacing DE with SI is an option if you happen to run out of smokes on regular basis

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,159 battles
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, lafeel said:

Could do worse than use the exact same skills as you would for the Haida to be honest..

My thoughts exactly.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, Panocek said:

Multipurpose build gets the job done just fine

Przechwytywanie.png

replacing DE with SI is an option if you happen to run out of smokes on regular basis

The above is certainly a good build. I have the same except that I have Preventive Maintenance and Expert Marksman instead of Torpedo Armament Expertise. Since there is only one single launcher to reload, I'd rather focus on the guns.

Players
3,581 posts
7,346 battles
2 hours ago, Procrastes said:

My thoughts exactly.

The above is certainly a good build. I have the same except that I have Preventive Maintenance and Expert Marksman instead of Torpedo Armament Expertise. Since there is only one single launcher to reload, I'd rather focus on the guns.

EM is borderline useless on Cossack since she got turret traverse buff

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,159 battles
12 hours ago, Panocek said:

EM is borderline useless on Cossack since she got turret traverse buff

It is certainly less called for. I suspect that this buff hadn't yet manifested at the time when I specified the relevant captain skills. However, since a turret can't really traverse too fast, and as I have the same captain - Jack Dunkirk - on the Jervis as well, I don't think I will be dropping Expert Marksman anytime soon.

Players
3,581 posts
7,346 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

It is certainly less called for. I suspect that this buff hadn't yet manifested at the time when I specified the relevant captain skills. However, since a turret can't really traverse too fast, and as I have the same captain - Jack Dunkirk - on the Jervis as well, I don't think I will be dropping Expert Marksman anytime soon.

Lightning, tier 8 already comes with quick enough turret traverse. I was contemplating getting her, but since Cossack got buff I just don't see the reason.

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,159 battles
33 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Lightning, tier 8 already comes with quick enough turret traverse. I was contemplating getting her, but since Cossack got buff I just don't see the reason.

The main difference would be the number of torpedo launchers. The Haida and the Cossack both trade torpedo alpha strike power for better tools in DD vs. DD knife fights. It's a fair trade, and since I hugely enjoy being able to chase off or smash just about any destroyer I happen to bump into, those ships are two of my favourites in the game. I also find that even a single torpedo launcher is most often enough to deter larger ships from rushing my smoke - but there is a definitive lack of area denial capacity. I can also miss the ability to saturate a smoke screen with torpedoes; you need at least two spreads of six to ten torpedoes in total to be able to do this effectively. This is one reason why I also like the Jervis, since she gets those extra torpedoes in conjunction with the combination of hydro and smoke. Still, the moving smoke of the Haida offers unparalleled stealth mobility - she really is the ultimate destroyer hunter!

Players
267 posts

Not been sure what skills to take on the Cossack. I have taken the 3 point skill to reload torps faster. While I know it already has fast reloading torps by default, it still only has that one set of torps to use - so thought it would be best to make the torp reload as fast as possible and help make up even further for the lack of not having 8 to shoot. I feel the torps are the ships biggest asset really with them having 10k range, even if it does lack not having two banks of torps. That 10k torp range is so much better for using at a safer distance - than the 8k range on the Lightning.

But still, I've been in two minds if it's really worth spending 3 point on that skill or not.

Players
267 posts
On 12/11/2018 at 9:41 AM, Panocek said:

The turret transverse to me still feels a tad slow lining up all guns together without the EM skill taken, I'm too used to how the Jarvis/Lightning felt. They ain't bad without it as such and you can get by skipping that skill, but you do notice a better difference with EM skill taken. I do find without the Smoke Expert skill as well, the Cossack can sometimes overshoot it's own smoke screen when you slow down from full speed to a standstill without the smoke screen expert skill used. I also use the "coal bought" module to make the smoke screen last longer while coming to a halt. I do think the Cossack needs it's smoke screen improving one way or another with either of the two mentioned, whether it be expand the size of the smoke screen area, or use the paid coal module for it so you smoke for longer while coming to a halt. Both will help you not overshoot your own smoke screen when slowing down from full speed, but smoke was activated before doing it.

[TOXIC]
Players
1,154 posts
16,431 battles
On 1/14/2019 at 2:39 AM, MRGTB said:

Not been sure what skills to take on the Cossack. I have taken the 3 point skill to reload torps faster. While I know it already has fast reloading torps by default, it still only has that one set of torps to use - so thought it would be best to make the torp reload as fast as possible and help make up even further for the lack of not having 8 to shoot. I feel the torps are the ships biggest asset really with them having 10k range, even if it does lack not having two banks of torps. That 10k torp range is so much better for using at a safer distance - than the 8k range on the Lightning.

But still, I've been in two minds if it's really worth spending 3 point on that skill or not.

Guns and concealment are Cossack selling point, not the torps. Any skill point spent on improving torps is a waste point. PT (of PM), LS, AR, SE and CE are must have on Cossack, just on almost any other DD but Soviets. BFT is a next best choice for 3 pts skill. Last four point you could spend on RL or IFHE or DE + PM (or PT depending on which one you choose first). Basically anything that would improve your guns or make them more useful.

Cossack exceed in fighting other DDs and that's why having RL in combination with that 5.4km concealment and 8 guns with 4.5sec reload, with BFT, is a great thing. IFHE could help you deal more damage to other cruisers, it won't help much against BBs tho. IFHE will give you 26mm pen but that is enough to pen hulls of cruisers with 25mm hull armour like Cleveland or Chapayev but not enough for Balti or Hipper. I personally think that you won't get enough for 4 points you spent on IFHE. Better choice would be DM, to increase already good fire chance and spend last point on additional 1 point skill.

You don't need TR as your torps are already fast reloading and you will get only 6sec faster reload for 3 pt skill. You can go with SI but you already have enough smokes and three hydro consumables are quite enough too. Turret traverse is already good and getting 20% bigger smoke for smoke that last only 45sec is a bad option.

I have one shared captain for Lighting and Cossack with PT, LS, AR, SE, BFT, CE and RL. I 'm planing to build another with same skills except switching for DE and PM instead of RL. I think that those are the best choices for Cossack captains.

[HOME]
Players
752 posts
7,591 battles
On 1/14/2019 at 2:39 AM, MRGTB said:

Why would you try to improve its torps when theyre not very good to ber n with? Theyre there to supplement its guns at best. The torps are actually one of its least appealing assets, its a gunboat. Its most definately not worth 3 points. Take BFT instead if you want to improve your firepower... 

Players
495 posts
2,962 battles

PT, LS, SE, CE, IFHE, AR and BFT in that order. What about other skills?

PM: Nice but not enough points.

EM: Seriously? With the buffed 9 second turret traverse speed? Go play US DDs instead.

SI: Not very useful because Cossack already has so many smokes and no repair party.

DE: Would be useful but where do you want to get the points from? IFHE? Raw HE damage is better than fires and even with IFHE RN DDs have 40% more fire chance than US DDs.

AFT: Have you seen the shell arcs? Cossack is a knife fighter.

RL: Mostly like PM. RL is good for hunting DDs, angling against their torps and torping yourself but Cossack doesn't have many torps and protects itself with hydro. It would be useful but not as useful as on a US, IJN or pan-asian DD.

Sign in to follow this