Sign in to follow this  
Nautical_Metaphor

The "What-is-that-thing-on-my-destroyer"-thread

6 comments in this topic

Players
1,159 posts
9,109 battles

As announced, I'm starting a thread to clear up puzzling features and equipment on the highly detailed in-game models. Everyone is of course invited to join in and post their own queries.

And I'm starting topical with RN Tier V DD HMS Acasta.

There are a great many greebles and nurnies on that ship but most are recognizable or self-explanatory.

But look at the X gun (the superposed one on the rear).

Or more precisely, look at the stuff on the deck protrusion extending over the Y gun (and incidentally, does that thing have a name? I imagine it is supposed to work as a kind of blast shield, protecting people and equipment below from the muzzle blast.)

So... what are the pointy "eggs" (blue arrow)?

And then there's clearly a rack with some shells (red arrow.) Why would you put that there of all places? If you want to fire them, somebody has to go out there on the blast shield thingy and get them, possibly in the middle of a firefight. You can't reach them from the deck, either, so if the gun crew of the Y gun wants them, they'd have to climb up there somehow. Whoever does that will not bring back more than one at a time since they weigh almost 23kg and you need one hand to hold on to the ship in rough sees or violent maneouvres. Also they're out in the open, with no protection from the elements, enemy fire, deck splinters or even the blast of the gun muzzle directly above them. Seems like you couldn't find a worse place if you tried.

Acasta_1.jpg

[OGHF]
Players
590 posts
11,099 battles

I would say that they are some kind of sweep floats, poss for mine sweeping etc, just a guess though.

Players
1,159 posts
9,109 battles
Vor 10 Stunden, Cyclops_ sagte:

sweep floats

Vor 6 Stunden, the_british_admiral sagte:

sweep floats as mentioned earlier

Yes but don't those have fins though? Because there are these two things on the rear, and also there are two cranes nearby, I thought that was the minesweeping gear.

Acasta_2.jpg

[TOXIC]
Players
1,154 posts
16,423 battles
On 9/22/2018 at 6:33 PM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Yes but don't those have fins though? Because there are these two things on the rear, and also there are two cranes nearby, I thought that was the minesweeping gear.

Acasta_2.jpg

Those are Paravanes for destroying the see mines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paravane_(weapon)

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this