Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Verblonde

LWM Cossack Review

11 comments in this topic

Players
332 posts
7,604 battles

Played a few games in her and the review is spot on . Ended up playing it like a US CA with a love island jive but that’s not what I wanted with one of my favourite historical ships.i can envisage it ending up as a port queen unless the rumours of a tier 8 revamp become fact. With a little nerf she might have been happier as a tier 7.

• Cool 1

Players
193 posts
5,515 battles

I think the problem was that Haida was a Tribal with 3x2 turrets (late war configuration) as primary armament, whereas Cossack was given 4x2 turrets (original Tribal load-out) and therefore couldn't possibly be at the same Tier because OP.

But Tribals were gun destroyers, hence the single quad launcher. And so for balancing reasons Cossack gets buffed torpedoes (making her less gunboat and more hybrid) to justify the higher T8. Which it really doesn't.

T8 just makes the shop price higher, and the matchmaking worse in the current incarnation. From a marketing POV this is a fail.

Fair enough that primary armament is a strong factor in determining tiers, but after all the testing it looks to me that the balancing here went the wrong way. Instead of looking for small nerfs that might have suited Cossack as an early Tribal at T7 they have instead looked for other buffs and gimmicks to keep her at T8. 

At T7 I would have bought her without hesitation. At T8, even if I collect all 48 Guineas available, I might let this go and put cash towards a different RN Premium.

LWM and Jingles make the best WOWS content, don't they?

Btw, if anyone is interested in the design history you can read a free, on Google Play via your web browser, an extensive sample of Norman Friedmans' British Destroyers & Frigates: The Second World War & After that covers this period.

• Funny 2

[NED]
Players
1,643 posts
6,131 battles

Its a decent ship but the lightning is so much more comfortable to play its not even funny.

Same detection radius of 5.5 but lightning though only 3 turrets has much better shooting angles and another torpedo launcher.

Cossack has 4 turrets but poor angles and only 1 torpedo launcher though the extra 2km range on the torps and extra damage do help to make up for it a bit.

If wargaming wants to make the cossack better (and it deserves to be) then they need to look at the gun angles first as its the biggest issue and perhaps decrease torpedo reload time as you only have 1 launcher to work with.

For the rest cossack is fine as it is in my opinion.

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,069 posts
17,316 battles

Tier 8 is so screwed by MM so much that tier 8 premiums are not worth buying. 

• Cool 3

[NED]
Players
1,643 posts
6,131 battles
58 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Tier 8 is so screwed by MM so much that tier 8 premiums are not worth buying. 

Well tier 8 MM is rather horrible i agree but DD's are not affected all that much by it (outside of those damned radars everywhere)

[BONI]
Players
1,064 posts
9,333 battles

On the one hand, I've little interest in a UKzuki with no AA and better turning... on the other hand, 2 euromonies? How can I say no to that for a t8? Assuming I get all the guineas. It would be nice to allow buying guineas with doubloons though.

Sign in to follow this