Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

British Destroyers: Guard the Home Waters - Hidden criteria

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[SCRUB]
Players
7,305 posts
9,548 battles

WG-style transparency and UI shenanigans at its finest again.

 

Take a gander at this:

 

shot-18.09.21_16.04.23-0263.jpg

 

Mission description: Get 3 "Defended", "Captured", or "Assisted in capture" ribbons (by the way, that's without an commata before the "or" if you're interested in that little correction).

The "British Destroyers" prefix makes it obvious it's supposed to be done in RN DDs.

 

Well, so far no problem right? Looks like the same as the previous such "British Destroyer" missions, hop into the Gallant and be done with it, aye?

 

Well, you'd be wrong. Because as it turns out, unlike the previous missions, this one is limited to tier VII-VIII RN DDs only.

And here I was wondering why I wasn't completing the mission with my Gallant games. I was in fact about to make this same topic but just assume the mission was somehow broken pr some such until someone in game chat made me aware that there's a neatly hidden tier limitation you only see when you actually click on the mission itself.

 

shot-18.09.21_16.28.46-0234.jpg

 

 

So yeah ... if you're like me, playing tier VI or lower british DDs (because you didn't have the RNG luck to get an early unlock mission or bought the Cossack in the premium ship) and wondering why you can't get that mission done, that's why.

 

 

That leaves me one question for WG (I summon thee @MrConway, @Crysantos, @Tuccy):

 

Why can't you just put that kind of mission requirements up front along with the other mission requirements where it's immediately noticable rather than being counterintuitively hidden?

 

 

Like, why is it so hard for WG to make an informative UI?

 

 

  • Cool 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI--]
Players
3,908 posts
5,023 battles
1 hour ago, Aotearas said:

Like, why is it so hard for WG to make an informative UI?

Dunno, but that's hardly anything new, is it now?

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,783 posts
10,685 battles

Well, for WG it's not that bad, really...

 

As far as informing players goes, that is. This event is a bit spoiled by the two [edited] moves that:

1. There are missions that require t7+ RN DDs and to get one you need to buy Cossack for almost full price or be REALLY lucky with containers OR spend loads of money on crate gambling.

But that's pretty mild (after all it's not like you really need all missions to be available for everyone and the rewards aren't anything exclusive) when we see that

2. Guineas have no use beyond buying Cossack AND you can't gather enough to get her for free.

 

I mean, seriously. "We prepared this great event and the top prize you're all grinding towards is the opportunity to give us some money!"

It would be ok if guineas had some other use - if they could be exchanged for doublons or if there were other goods purchasable for them - other premium ships, special flags, maybe containers for the event. But that's not the case. Guineas are there literally only to get players to spend money to not miss out on the discount they worked so hard for. This is just so... distasteful.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,580 posts
5,919 battles
3 minutes ago, eliastion said:

This is just so... distasteful.

 

And then even announce BEFORE the event started "hey, you get 48 Guineas but you need 50". Imo thats the worst of all, thats like really rubbing it in our faces.

 

5 minutes ago, eliastion said:

It would be ok if guineas had some other use - if they could be exchanged for doublons or if there were other goods purchasable for them

 

They should just be exchangeable to Sovereigns (like Steal > Coal). So that everyone who choses NOT to buy extra stuff can atleast use them on something else.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,305 posts
9,548 battles

Now for something more or less unrelated (but don't want to make a new topic just for it):

Just got the promotional email about the RN event from WG and I kid you not, they literally translated "British Arc" into "Britischer Bogen". Come on WG, Google translate*, really?

 

 

*And yes, this is precisely what Google translate gives you if you tell it to translate "british arc" into German.

  • Funny 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles

This is specially disgusting, as you can only get a tier 7-8 British destroyer by sheer luck with the containers, or of course by getting yourself a Cossack in the Premium shop.

 

This kind of details make me hate this company.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-FF-]
Players
610 posts
5,414 battles
11 minutes ago, JapLance said:

This is specially disgusting, as you can only get a tier 7-8 British destroyer by sheer luck with the containers, or of course by getting yourself a Cossack in the Premium shop.

 

This kind of details make me hate this company.

This is really nothing new, they want to sell their products, so they make missions that will force you to buy.

Marketing, that's all.

You don't need those missions to complete the objective anyway if you do the other ones.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Players
2,882 posts
12,099 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

 

And then even announce BEFORE the event started "hey, you get 48 Guineas but you need 50". Imo thats the worst of all, thats like really rubbing it in our faces.

 

 

They should just be exchangeable to Sovereigns (like Steal > Coal). So that everyone who choses NOT to buy extra stuff can atleast use them on something else.

I guess I missed a few things. We get 48 but we need 50? For what exactly? Cossack? At least they're upfront with it in some way... Not all clear though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WCWVE]
Players
773 posts
12,008 battles

I was confused by this as well and thought I had completed the mission.

 

The rub is that no British Destroyer is fitted with speed boost, therefore, this makes them the slowest destroyers in the game, so unless the opposition team are real potatoes you do not stand a chance of getting the necessary capture or assist in capture flags and you will struggle to get the defend ribbons as well, therefore this mission is virtually un-completable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BIF]
Players
56 posts
1,972 battles
8 minutes ago, pzkpfwv1d said:

I was confused by this as well and thought I had completed the mission.

 

The rub is that no British Destroyer is fitted with speed boost, therefore, this makes them the slowest destroyers in the game, so unless the opposition team are real potatoes you do not stand a chance of getting the necessary capture or assist in capture flags and you will struggle to get the defend ribbons as well, therefore this mission is virtually un-completable 

Not really, those missions are doable in Co-op. Getting a few spotted and defended ribbon not hard there.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
452 posts
6,410 battles

So there is a mission where you need T7 or T8 RN DD to complete so you can win a container that is in the shop for $4. Why are you all so excited? The mission does not affect the completion of the stage or getting a guinea so what are you all whining about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NED]
Players
4,200 posts
11,706 battles

I had the same thing today OP. Had wonderful matches in Gallant (which I won from a christmas container). Indeed I don't want to whine but it did feel like a slap in the face though.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

I'm cool about this but only because I agreed with myself to only buy 20 boxes and I got a Lighting in one...

 

It's not the worst WG have done. There's always one or two missions in limited campaigns that are behind pay walls. Like the Hood ones awhile back. 

 

A friend got a Lightning in a free box which really is a middle finger at all of us :etc_swear:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
366 posts
1,500 battles
5 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Now for something more or less unrelated (but don't want to make a new topic just for it):

Just got the promotional email about the RN event from WG and I kid you not, they literally translated "British Arc" into "Britischer Bogen". Come on WG, Google translate*, really?

 

 

*And yes, this is precisely what Google translate gives you if you tell it to translate "british arc" into German.

I worked in translation and proofreading for a while (and might go back), and have had slight doubts about how WG go about their translations etc. pretty much since I started playing the game. But that, right there is just.... Eurgh I can't even :fish_palm::fish_palm::fish_palm::fish_palm::fish_palm:

 

Sorry, not the point of the thread, I know. But seriously people, get two pairs of eyes on every translation (translator and proofreader) and make sure at least one pair belongs to a native speaker of the target language. And, if it really needs saying, don't use Google Translate unless you enjoy being laughed at.

 

/rant

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
97 posts
5,915 battles

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth about the missions seems a bit pointless. Even without a Gallant you should be able to score enough Sovereigns to get a Warspite (or a Gallant if you prefer). OK, with the extra Sovereigns you could get a Bert Dunkirk as well, but personally I can live without him as long as I get the Warspite. 

 

With the Guineas you can get a Tier 8 premium DD for less than the price of a coffee/pint. 

 

Let's face it, we're not exactly starved for free stuff. I'm 60,000 free xp away from the Nelson, halfway to the coal needed for the Musashi. Since I started playing WOWS I've received: 3 ARP Kongo BBs, The Southern Dragon, The Graf Spree, A Bismarck, Oktober Revolution, Fushun, Gaede, Queen Elizabeth, Vampire, Duke of York and some French nonsense (that I sold straight away) from campaigns/missions. I got a Murmansk from a container (and some Tier 3 Japanese CA that was rubbish so I sold it to free up the port slot), won a Tirpitz in the Christmas Raffle along with enough Dubloons (when combined with prizes from Ranked) to buy a Gallant. 

 

Every week WG seems to throw free camos out as part of an event or mission and occasionally we get free 10pt captains as well. 

 

Personally I have no complaints with the free stuff they chuck out. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-MM]
Players
437 posts
8,442 battles

I am so confused by this event, is it even possible to gain enough sovereigns (not guinaes) to get the gallant (or warspite) without buying containers? So far the output looks pretty low.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
408 posts
4,215 battles
1 minute ago, ZoidFile said:

I am so confused by this event, is it even possible to gain enough sovereigns (not guinaes) to get the gallant (or warspite) without buying containers? So far the output looks pretty low.

 

maybe if you wait until the final week but look at it this way: spend fifteen currency of whatever your nationality is and you can have the possibility to get multiple ships for cheap at a good value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,394 posts
5,599 battles
47 minutes ago, 10ThousandThings said:

Sorry, not the point of the thread, I know. But seriously people, get two pairs of eyes on every translation (translator and proofreader) and make sure at least one pair belongs to a native speaker of the target language. And, if it really needs saying, don't use Google Translate unless you enjoy being laughed at.

 

I would point towards the port chat and their complete lack of capability to fix that, but that would be beating a rotten carcass that is not even smelly anymore...

 

3 minutes ago, ZoidFile said:

I am so confused by this event, is it even possible to gain enough sovereigns (not guinaes) to get the gallant (or warspite) without buying containers? So far the output looks pretty low.

 

 

Seems the math has been done, answer seems to be no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-MM]
Players
437 posts
8,442 battles
1 hour ago, CraftyVeteran said:

but look at it this way: spend fifteen currency of whatever your nationality is and you can have the possibility to get multiple ships for cheap at a good value.

No.

 

Because If they see that they can do that to us, we won't never get a proper campaign with a free ship anymore. If we have to pay anyway, why go through the hassle with the campaign, just put the ship in the shop at a discount, done! Because that's all it is, a winnable discount.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,818 posts
4,959 battles
1 hour ago, Juanx said:

Seems the math has been done, answer seems to be no.

 

Well, the person who did the maths should ask for a refund or reconsider their career choices :fish_book:.

 

Why? Because if I remember correctly, WG stated that you were able to earn 48 Guineas during the event (two short of the Cossack which means that you can buy a tier 8 premium for around 2 euros if you collect them all). Since we correctly can only collect 4, this means that we will have 11 more sets of directives. 11 more sets of directives will, with the current rewards (and excluding the RN DD missions), yield 660 Sovereigns.

 

If you're still not convinced, this news article contains a timetable for the release of stages/directives, amongst other things.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,358 posts
5,833 battles
1 hour ago, CraftyVeteran said:

spend fifteen currency of whatever your nationality is

 

Aaand there is the entire point of the whole event. Its an event to generate more sales. Not to give something to the players.

 

Guys, just get it over with. Introduce a monthly fee for playing, remove all that back-door-cashgrabbing and we finaly can all have fun. :fish_palm:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-MM]
Players
437 posts
8,442 battles
11 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

 

Well, the person who did the maths should ask for a refund or reconsider their career choices :fish_book:.

 

Why? Because if I remember correctly, WG stated that you were able to earn 48 Guineas during the event (two short of the Cossack which means that you can buy a tier 8 premium for around 2 euros if you collect them all). Since we correctly can only collect 4, this means that we will have 11 more sets of directives. 11 more sets of directives will, with the current rewards (and excluding the RN DD missions), yield 660 Sovereigns.

 

If you're still not convinced, this news article contains a timetable for the release of stages/directives, amongst other things.

What gets me is this line:

Please note that the Royal Navy category and the ability to use Sovereigns to obtain its contents will stay available in Update 0.7.10, so you'll have plenty of time to choose the items you want. With the release of Update 0.7.11, each Sovereign in your possession will be exchanged for yada yada

But the article also says the event goes over 3 updates and that Guinaes well be removed at 0.7.12...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,818 posts
4,959 battles
19 minutes ago, ZoidFile said:

What gets me is this line:

 

That seems a bit silly. Why split up the Sovereign hoarding periods? Unless, only the first 3 stages contains containers but that is way too misleading for what was described to be an "easy to understand" event.

 

19 minutes ago, ZoidFile said:

But the article also says the event goes over 3 updates and that Guinaes well be removed at 0.7.12...

 

That should be correct at least: 0.7.9 -> 0.7.10 -> 0.7.11. Depending on when 0.7.12 arrives, the time you have available to spend Guineas might be somewhat short though (two days if the patch deploys on Thursday the same week as the last stage ends). 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
408 posts
4,215 battles
1 hour ago, ZoidFile said:

No.

 

Because If they see that they can do that to us, we won't never get a proper campaign with a free ship anymore. If we have to pay anyway, why go through the hassle with the campaign, just put the ship in the shop at a discount, done! Because that's it is, a winnable discount.

 

sorry, I have a life. I don't have time to spend endless hours of grinding for the fun stuff. I don't mind paying a few zennies for a few ships I want to play. Why should I let all of a particular class have all the fun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×