Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Maihon

Mikhail Kutuzov

11 comments in this topic

Question

[TAW]
Players
83 posts
3,814 battles

As a newer player I'd really like to have the opportunity to buy Mikhail Kutuzov for my Russian cruiser line, but...

I don't really understand why she still remains in the permanently unavailable pool? 

Is she ever likely to become available again?

10 answers to this question

[1911]
Players
54 posts
8,181 battles

Short answer: Kutuzov was deemed op by Wg and is gone for good (Premium ships can't be nerfed).

Maybe there will be so much powercreep in the future on all the other ships or global mechanics are reworked in such a way that she becomes balanced (like a smoke rework (already happened, and took some of her power), AA rework (will happen), etc). BUT... even then, it doesn't look good for her. If it happens however, she might come back.

I don't own Kutuzov, but from what I have seen, she isn't enjoyable to play anyway. Smoke up, spam He while sitting in the same spot for minutes. Meh gameplay. Obviously also not the best gameplay for the one being spammed, since without radar (and remember that thing has 20 km main battery range, far outranging any radar range) there exists 0 counterplay other than shooting the smoke, hoping for lucky hits, otherwise you just need to run away, or get close to the smoke (hard to do vs good players who smoke in good positions, also, she has torps)

Conclusion: Bad to play, bad to play against, good thing she is gone.

[TAW]
Players
83 posts
3,814 battles

So why not just rebalance, there's always the chance that a premium ship would get buffed, alternatively either offer compensation, or just fix it and bring it back it back as one of the other class names, there are others to use of the same vintage i.e. Admiral Ushakov, Admiral Suvarov, Dmitry Pozharsky, Aleksandr Nevsky, even Ordzhonikidze if a name was wanted with a bit of history i.e. the Lionel Crabbe frogmen incident, 1956, Portsmouth Harbour?

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
7,293 battles
2 hours ago, Maihon said:

So why not just rebalance, there's always the chance that a premium ship would get buffed, alternatively either offer compensation, or just fix it and bring it back it back as one of the other class names, there are others to use of the same vintage i.e. Admiral Ushakov, Admiral Suvarov, Dmitry Pozharsky, Aleksandr Nevsky, even Ordzhonikidze if a name was wanted with a bit of history i.e. the Lionel Crabbe frogmen incident, 1956, Portsmouth Harbour?

WG don't want to offer compensation because they've nerfed a ship because they would have to offer a monetary refund which would constitute a loss.

[TAW]
Players
83 posts
3,814 battles

Surely they could also offer something like super-containers, etc. as an alternative form of compensation?  ... and would it really be a loss, yes you have all those players who've already bought the ship, but then on the other hand surely you also have a whole load of newer players buying it for the first time to offset that "loss"?

Maybe it would also be better for the game, in the long run, if it was understood that premium ships were subject to the same balancing process as all other ships?

370 posts
7,293 battles

If WG were to start balancing premiums as standard practise (or rather, nerfing them, as they do buff premiums that need buffing, and they have tweaked values but what Kutuzov needs is a major change cos of it's smoke stealthfire capability) they would always have to contest with people who will demand refunds because what they own is no longer what they paid for. Obviously people dont care when what they own increases in value but they do care when they get nerfed.

Anything they offer freely as compensation is a loss, even if it's super containers or something that isn't strictly monetary. SC contents like premium time, credits, flags etc all affect how much money a player spends themselves. They dont have to pay for premium if they get it free in a container, they dont spend as long playing the game in general if they get a bunch of flags that expedites their progress, etc.

And then you make a big event about how kutuzov is being nerfed so it can return to the shop, but the stigma associated with it is a once-OP ship, now nerfed. It will be a collectors item, less desirable and not expected to sell well. Whether it will feasibly offset the loss is really down to WG to analyse to a reasonable degree of accuracy and pressumably they already came to the conclusion; no. It's a practise that outdates WoWS and was first implemented in WoT back from 2010 so I wouldnt expect them to change course on this policy any time soon.

[TAW]
Players
83 posts
3,814 battles

Yes I can see that the SC's etc. are still a loss but maybe one of the plus sides of that sort of compensation is that it's not all up front i.e. they wouldn't have to pay it all on the day the rebalance came out, it would spread out over the period of those players spending less. Arguably MK is one the least of these overpowered ships and so probably the easiest  to "fix", at least if they tried it WG might have a model of how to achieve it for the others. As it is, out of the game, it's effectively unused inventory and therefore still a loss, personally I'd still rather have these "lost" ships back in the game than out of it. Anyway it'd be good to hear a WG p.o.v. on this, if such a thing were possible... ... ...

370 posts
7,293 battles

If you're present at all on Reddit you can keep an eye out for when Sub_Octavian holds Q&As on the WoWS Reddit, they're fairly regular, you could pose the question to him then.

Players
451 posts
6,390 battles
On 9/21/2018 at 10:12 PM, Duke_of_Lauenburg said:

I don't own Kutuzov, but from what I have seen, she isn't enjoyable to play anyway. Smoke up, spam He while sitting in the same spot for minutes. Meh gameplay. Obviously also not the best gameplay for the one being spammed, since without radar (and remember that thing has 20 km main battery range, far outranging any radar range) there exists 0 counterplay other than shooting the smoke, hoping for lucky hits, otherwise you just need to run away, or get close to the smoke (hard to do vs good players who smoke in good positions, also, she has torps)

Conclusion: Bad to play, bad to play against, good thing she is gone.

Nah, stupid fun to play. The smoke occasionally gets used to pound on someone, but for the majority of the game it is kiting and fire starting. I play it quite similarly to the Mogami, with hydro as a proper cruiser, though obviously with 19 km guns and smoke it is much better. 

Very pretty and quite historical for looks and paint scheme.

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

Sold mine when WG offered the refund and haven't regretted it one bit.  kept the Belfast :Smile_trollface:

I found it boring to play and the smoke nerf hit it hard when distance was your only friend in Smoke. Plenty of good ships at tier 8, even if the MM is the worst. 

Sign in to follow this