CPL_Sivi

Acasta thoughts??

46 comments in this topic

[ORCS]
Players
145 posts
11,709 battles

Being an egoist i will give mine first. I had to notice weaknesses first.

1. No engine boost. 

Dd with no boost is not forgiving mistakes. Tier 5 ship with 35 kts and no boost will not let ppl play offensive. Any jap ca can keep up and pound poor thing. With a plane up Acasta can do very little to save itself.

2. Torps. Short range (6km), slow, low alpha (11k), bad angle.

Acasta has no stelth torp window. If u wanna torp someone u WILL be detected. Chance of survival drops down significantly with no boost to outrun ur pursuers. Devs should atleast compensate with torp speed and punch imo. I own campbel and it has 7.5 km range at t3. Overkill for t3 but compensated with only 3 torps per side. U cant oneshot any bb. On the good side Acasta has 2 quad tubes that can shoot both sides and put 8 torps in the watter in 1 salvo. Will take out any ca and most bbs except new mex. She survived perfect run with 6 hits. And i was in a world of pain to survive a retreat.

3. Smoke. Devs used uk cl smoke trademark. Short burst, short lasting time. U have cca 40 secs of smoke cover, 10 secs of smoke deploying time. He spam from smoke is short lived but it is effective if u know enemy has no dcp. Guns are good firestarters on bbs superstructure. Good side is short cooldown and u cary 6 smoke loads. Somewhat compensated. I use it mainly to cover retreat after a torp run.

Good sides

1. Agility. 

Oh boy. This lill thing moves like a sports car. Fast acceleration, great breaks, u can drive ppl insane dodging everything they throw at u. I even dodged mutsuki perfect torp drop from less than 2 km. Picked a lane in very tight spread and sailed thru his drop. Got him with guns in a knife fight. She feels like a nice dd killer. I wouldnt fight gallant tho. Or higher tier us dds. Acasta turns tightly, doesnt bleed speed in a hard turn, another trademark of uk cl. Probably the best ingame dd considering agility. The only flaw here is top speed. To compensate i put the speedflag up and it works like a charm.

2. Guns

Great angles. U can train 3/4 guns on ur victim without giving much side. 4th gun i use only for the last massive blow.  Very good alpha dmg for a dd guns, good firestarters. A very pleasant surprise for a uk dd. Campbel is much weaker in that aspect. Acasta is worth a gunboat setup. Guns are strong enough to fight ge and ijn dds, so far i didnt have a chance to fight usn of the same tier close range. 

3. Camo.

With ce u have 6km camo range. It would be perfect if they put a 7 km torps on her. This way she will outspot everything except the japs. But she cant use torps unless spotted. Still camo will give u very good idea what lies ahead so u can create attack strategy accordingly. Makes Acasta decent spotter, cap contester a with some cojones a great dd killer. 

Summary

She has a great aggressive potential but refrain from pushing blindly. Spot first, wait for bbs to sink jap cas then rush the dds. She will reward wasd hack and put a grin on ur face when u see curses popping up in a public chat. When having low or no support hunt jap dds with no mercy. They have nothing on u. U will dodge torps with ease and their guns are just too weak. So far 5 fights, 3 wins 7 kills. Not bad at all. And i still havent learned all the tricks she has to offer.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Players
736 posts
6,311 battles

Thanks for this. I got the mission but won't be able to finish it until tomorrow. Good to see she has the RN gimmick of manoeuvrability on her side, I was concerned about the lack of boost.

[ORCS]
Players
145 posts
11,709 battles

I forgot the best feature, she is free. Put ce as soon as possible. I faced a lot of acastas with stock camo and they all died quickly after spotting them. That 10% make a difference between life and death. AA is nothing to write home about, dont rely on it. Keep hidden if cv is around. Also she prints credits nicely for t5 ship.

MM struck me badly today all t7 fights with blyska, gallants, mahans... I couldnt play her to her strenghts. Also ru dds have an edge in a gunfights, be careful when fighting them. Use superior camo, spot them, focus them down. When top tier she can be a sealclubber :)

[UNICS]
Players
2,882 posts
12,099 battles
20 hours ago, CPL_Sivi said:

.... Fast acceleration, great breaks, ...

Great acceleration yes, but are the breaks good? It felt differently for me my only game.. like the RN cruisers, I misjudged the Acc vs breaks.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,239 battles

My big surprise is that she has the premium status... I can put my 19 point commander in her.

• Cool 1

Players
925 posts
7,194 battles
24 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

My big surprise is that she has the premium status... I can put my 19 point commander in her.

That's good thinking from WG - gives people a positive first impression of the line. I'm not sure it's possible to give an honest impression of the ship at the moment as the games are in event mode and we've got eight to ten DDs in each one. That and the combination of camo and high-spec captains means the ship is probably over performing.... in normal games it would be a cross between Nicholas and Podvoisky, manoeuverable but not devastating.

[POI--]
Players
3,906 posts
5,023 battles

I wouldn't fight USN or Soviet DDs with this thing. Podvoisky can straight up wreck you at range and Nicholas stock already has more hp than Acasta and 5 guns with decent ballistics or at top configuration 4 USN guns, with better reload and higher HE shell damage. I find the Acasta dodges fast enough that you have issues keeping the guns on target (wouldn't take EM though, as the guns aren't slow and those 2 points might be better spent elsewhere) and unlike Podvoisky or Minekaze/Kamikaze you cannot just hope better ballistics will make up for dpm disparity. These DDs really aren't fast and if you mess up your positioning, you are out of the fight for quite some time. It's correct that IJN cruisers will keep up with you, but it is also worth noting, Soviets will too and Emile Bertin is faster than Acasta. If you ever have to face that thing alone, you're basically toast.

I'll be honest. I don't consider this ship really any good. The one good thing is the maneuverability, the hp, speed, guns, torps, etc are all lackluster to sad. If it wasn't on the way to (hopefully) better DDs and free from mission, I'd not play this ship much and I'd certainly not play it when feeling irritated. I'd take the Minekaze over the Acasta pretty much any day and I'd not even fear the gun duel too much, given IJN ballistics make hitting easier and IJN concealment makes it the Minekaze's choice whether it wants to engage or not (that much on Acasta can fight IJN) Acasta, imo, is not for winning games reliably. It's for annoying the crap out of people by shelling them with 8% fire chance shells and torps spreads at people pushing into you.

• Cool 1

Players
785 posts
3,630 battles
2 hours ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Kinky

• Funny 2

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
535 posts
2 hours ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

They did the same with the french BBs. And it's a nice feature.

To OP
I rly liked her. Only played 2 games in her.

The guns hurt really good against other DDs. Would love some more daka daka speed, but this is tier 5.

I loooove the agility and I don't miss the speed boost at all. Doing 37/38 knots with flags mounted, and hardly felt any loss of speed while turning.

I agree with the torp angles. They are rly rly bad. I'd like them to be more forward angled. And they do tier 5 kinda damage.

All in all a good boat. I like her.

[ORCS]
Players
145 posts
11,709 battles

I have mounted 19 games 9 wins 10 losses but i realy had bad mm last 10 games. She cant do much in tier 7 altho i did take out mahan and akatsuki in those games but due to pilot error not because acasta is stronger ship. So far 17 kills 7 by guns 7 by torps 3 fell to lack of dcp fire/flood. Atlanta was one of them. The problem for me is that i didnt live long after taking down tier 7 ships. I blame the lack of boost cause i realy need to hide asap after the torp run. However i think devs gave us a taste of rn dd line. I do have fun with acasta. She is like no other dd. 

Btw not a single jap dd survived brawl with my acasta, and in 19 games not a single torp landed on her hull. She can move with ease thru the jap spreads even when they do it perfectly. Just stay out of zoom until u pass thru. Ru and usn dds are a problem i had to disengage all 3 times because i was losing gunfight. Ge dds are inferior tho. I still need to spec captain for bft and aft to shorten loading time and get some more dpm on guns then i will test it again. So far ru and usn dds i spot for team focus. I dont engage. Only when they smoke up i go for blind torp but that is pure luck. And i did notice that guns cant track targets in a hard turn but i believe it has to do with the ship turning too tightly. I can live with that :)

However i find torps frustrating. I lost 4 kills so far because torps fell short a few inches. Drives me insane. Give them more range devs. i beg u!!!

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,742 battles

I like her. I saved my anniversary tokens especially for the upcoming RN "Gift" ships, so I could put 4  ten point Dasha's in them. I didn't think she would be any good with 6km torps, but she has caught out quite a few DDs, abd charging cruisers. Against other DDs, once they have lost a bit of health, she is lethal. I'm expecting the fun to get better, once my flock of Dasha's have a few more skill points.

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
2,580 battles
On 2018-9-22 at 11:08 AM, CPL_Sivi said:

However i find torps frustrating. I lost 4 kills so far because torps fell short a few inches. Drives me insane. Give them more range devs. i beg u!!!

Maybe you should try to launch them at a closer distance, hm?

[POI--]
Players
3,906 posts
5,023 battles
7 hours ago, lafeel said:

Maybe you should try to launch them at a closer distance, hm?

Yeah, but to be fair, it is frustrating being unable to torp targets that aren't pushing into you and even for torping around corners and such, it can be limiting. Yesterday I played some more Leander and frankly, I feel like I can almost do more with those torps than with Acasta's. Yes, you cannot torp past your concealment, but with 8 km torp range vs 8.8km concealment (8.7 km on Emerald, to get the same tier as Acasta), it isn't much harder to stealth torp pursuers. Leander has a way better torp reload than Icarus too and Emerald has double the number of torps compared to Acasta. And I'll not be going into having smoke with proper duration and hydro with actual range.

Acasta at T5 pretty much is a small boat with dakka dakka guns that feels good (unless you need to reposition and you get to feel that speed) until you look at damage numbers and realise, most of the time it's far more exciting than efficient.

[OGHF]
Players
592 posts
11,109 battles

Torps are pretty crap, got caught out by an Acasta this morning when in my full health (luckily) Leander, took 4 torps from it broadside,( I know my bad, but I did save our DD beside me), they did 28K damage, but I stayed alive, healed and  punished him to death :cap_cool:

[POI--]
Players
3,906 posts
5,023 battles
18 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

Torps are pretty crap, got caught out by an Acasta this morning when in my full health (luckily) Leander, took 4 torps from it broadside,( I know my bad, but I did save our DD beside me), they did 28K damage, but I stayed alive, healed and  punished him to death :cap_cool:

Must have been damage saturation in play. Leander has no real torp protection and Acasta torps are pretty standard for T5, so 4 torps would wreck you for 40k and up unmitigated. Just yesterday got devstriked in my Leander by two torps from a Huang He I just killed (totally messed that one up, no excuses) and those do barely more (14.4k vs 12k). Already had my high caliber and Kraken, so I don't feel like I hadn't pulled my weight, but still cost us the game... But honestly, the torps per se aren't bad, the range is.

[ZEN]
[ZEN]
Players
109 posts
17,332 battles

Interesting thoughts. My first impressions of Acasta are good, she is very maneuverable indeed and add to this the feature that you can fire torpedoes one-by-one...

... to my taste gives you a good basis to work from. Yes you'll have to fight hard and smart with this destroyer but that can be fun too :-) 

Right now, running into a Podvoisky or Nicholas at close quarters would tempt me to turn away, just to be safe, yet that is because of the newness of this ship to me (and because I know of the good gunpower of these other two, which I put to good use myself regularly). 

Seeing a Jianwei, Mutsuki, Minekaze, Kamikaze, Kamikaze R, or even T-22 approaching up close, I would probably go ahead and engage, yes at the edge of my seat and with full agility, but it would be a good challenge to see if I could get the overhand on any one of those. 

Taking the detectability down to 6.2km with the respective (4-points) Captain's skill 'Concealment Expert' makes her aaalmost able to stealth-torp. 

Using your smoke wisely and timing everything right must then be crucial, yet that applies to pretty much all DD-work... 

What does ring a "be aware"-bell in the back of my mind when using Acasta the coming weeks will be the 95 second torpedo-reload (which can be brought down to 86 seconds with the 'Torpedo Armament Expertise' skill, okay, but that's still a long shot from the quick reload times @IJN DD's , such as 42 seconds @Minekaze... which can also be reduced by 10% accordingly). That feels long, anything close to one-and-a-half minutes... 

Getting such a tier 5 DD for free, as a gift, without requiring any investment certainly does invite me to play her for at least several dozen battles to find out what she is really like (in my hands). 

By the looks of what I like so far, she may well be a "keeper" then :o) 

[POI--]
Players
3,906 posts
5,023 battles
33 minutes ago, Midway67 said:

Taking the detectability down to 6.2km with the respective (4-points) Captain's skill 'Concealment Expert' makes her aaalmost able to stealth-torp. 

Using your smoke wisely and timing everything right must then be crucial, yet that applies to pretty much all DD-work... 

Equip a camo for 6 km. Very helpful and worth the 7.5k for the most basic camo.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,742 battles

The more I play her, the more I like her. Popped a 19 point captain in her, and 7 smokes. I popped up here and there in front of approaching BBs, so easy to set fires, set a fire on one, switched targets, sets fires every where, smoke runs out, move away, repeat. Most BBs and cruisers will put out one first straight away, so for them to take a torpedo shortly after is lethal. With RPF, I can hunt DDs and have my guns/torpedo tubes all pointing their way, once I spot them unleash the torps and start firing, panic usually ensues and they start firing back, until the torps get them.

She has now joined the Kamikaze as a fun ship to play when higher tiers frustrate you. 2 or 3 together or just in the area together make short work of other DDs.

[-KWX-]
Weekend Tester
74 posts
7,012 battles

Only 2 battles so far so maybe early to judge but I love this DD :)

The acceleration is insane and it can turn a circle before you realize where it's gone. With torps the best thing she does is dash around an island fire her torps at close range at that CA that is firing from behind, turn 180, pop smoke and run.

Yeah, this boat is for those of us that like to live dangerously. 

Closest thing so far in game with playing a gunboat I imagine.

Getting the Icarus next, just need to finish the mission. Hope she has the same characteristics.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
736 posts
6,311 battles
18 minutes ago, zetruenando said:

Only 2 battles so far so maybe early to judge but I love this DD :)

The acceleration is insane and it can turn a circle before you realize where it's gone. With torps the best thing she does is dash around an island fire her torps at close range at that CA that is firing from behind, turn 180, pop smoke and run.

Yeah, this boat is for those of us that like to live dangerously. 

Closest thing so far in game with playing a gunboat I imagine.

Getting the Icarus next, just need to finish the mission. Hope she has the same characteristics.

Haven't bothered with Acasta, I just played Icarus a few times last night and this is also my impression. Great fun if you like a swashbuckling style.

[ZEN]
[ZEN]
Players
109 posts
17,332 battles
29 minutes ago, Akula971 said:

The more I play her, the more I like her. 

That says exactly what I was thinking when I started out on her! 

Especially with a high-level Captain, we should be able to make this boat rock and sing :Smile_bajan2:

[POI--]
Players
3,906 posts
5,023 battles
18 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Haven't bothered with Acasta, I just played Icarus a few times last night and this is also my impression. Great fun if you like a swashbuckling style.

Imagine you basically have one less km on the torps, but you got the same guns one tier lower. For T5, the guns are pretty competitive, imo. For T6, I got my doubts.

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
2,580 battles
6 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Yeah, but to be fair, it is frustrating being unable to torp targets that aren't pushing into you and even for torping around corners and such, it can be limiting. Yesterday I played some more Leander and frankly, I feel like I can almost do more with those torps than with Acasta's. Yes, you cannot torp past your concealment, but with 8 km torp range vs 8.8km concealment (8.7 km on Emerald, to get the same tier as Acasta), it isn't much harder to stealth torp pursuers. Leander has a way better torp reload than Icarus too and Emerald has double the number of torps compared to Acasta. And I'll not be going into having smoke with proper duration and hydro with actual range.

Acasta at T5 pretty much is a small boat with dakka dakka guns that feels good (unless you need to reposition and you get to feel that speed) until you look at damage numbers and realise, most of the time it's far more exciting than efficient.

To be fair, she's not exactly alone among the tier 5 and below DD's in that regard.

Also, in regards to that final line, I have always said that "boring" is one of, if not the, worst things you can say about a ship in this game..

[POI--]
Players
3,906 posts
5,023 battles
9 minutes ago, lafeel said:

To be fair, she's not exactly alone among the tier 5 and below DD's in that regard.

Also, in regards to that final line, I have always said that "boring" is one of, if not the, worst things you can say about a ship in this game..

Those that share this feature of not being able to torp beyond their own max range are all ships that have no hard time gunning down an Acasta, are faster and have smokes that can be used more flexibly. Even Podvoisky is more efficient in being able to dakka down things at range, drawing fire, repositioning when needed and laying smokes for the team.

I found Minekaze exciting too, but Minekaze also has some clear strengths. Acasta is a ship that likely is going to find its niche following, but overall will be among the less competitive ships at its tier, just alone because of its lack of strengths. It's two strong points are maneuverability (but not speed) and fire chance. It's exciting when you run into DDs and try to duel them, it's far less fun when things died or the flank gets overrun and you want to reposition. 35 knots are not much. Königsberg does 32.5 knots, Emerald does 33 knots, Omaha 34 knots, Furutaka 34.5 knots, Kirov 35.5 knots and Emile Bertin 39 knots. Two of the tech tree cruisers you can try to outrun, two are very close and you'll be running for quite some time to get away, two are outright faster and can run you down. I mostly play the ship for missions, because it is new and I want to get used to playing these slow boats with no speed boost. At later tiers, they get other strengths, but Acasta for itself, I find hardly competitive and playing it with a 19 pt commander is hardly the kind of experience people grinding this line will have. It also cannot outrun DDs that would be able to kill it, which makes it very fun not just at its own tier, but as it is T5, have fun vs T7. A Gneisenau or Hood have 32 knots speed...

So, no, I consider the ship to have a lot of inbuild frustration potential, being strong at things that are low impact and not rewarded well and which are hard to translate into solid strengths. You get no speed boost, garbage speed and not even the hydro yet. Unlike other slow DDs, like Akizuki, you also have not gotten the ability to outgun most DDs you run into. I do not get what this ship really is supposed to be (and I fear for the line) with being ships that seem to generally favour staying near allies, due to the issues they have disengaging without support, yet they have smokes that are hard to use for anything but getting away (little team utility) and you are likely better suited running a RN CL in that role as fleet escort. At least an Emerald gets the hydro, has a repair party, gets a proper smoke and a ton of 7 km torps to harass enemies while it supports from its cloud with guns that might not be good, but are likely more effective than Acasta's. And it is rare that you ever get to say something decent about Emerald.

[NWP]
Players
736 posts
6,311 battles
4 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Imagine you basically have one less km on the torps, but you got the same guns one tier lower. For T5, the guns are pretty competitive, imo. For T6, I got my doubts.

The guns, for me, are one of it's strengths; it seems to me to have absolutely no issues wiping of 3-4k per volley, and every DD I've fought has turned tail (to limited effect). I wasn't sure myself about the 120mm guns (4.5in?) but I'm getting good results so far.