You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MortenTardo

Arms Race feedback

24 comments in this topic

Players
1,409 posts
12,953 battles

arms.jpg.79b7b0e39b400ea866bc4493304f3586.jpg

Hello speshul people of the internet! :Smile_honoring:

So i have been playing Arms Race a bit today with a bunch of different classes and ships. Solo and in divisions. And i have to say, i love it!

Having basically a battle royal (ish) gamemode really works. I was a bit skeptical when i initially watched it play on different streams, but it came as a positive needed surprise. 

Warning: Its far from realistic, so you realism guys should stay away. :Smile_child:

Why do i think it's fun?

Well, it brings something new to a game that really needs it. We always get new ships, PVE missions ya-ta ya-ta. That is all fine and dandy but it does not bring a new "dimension" to the game. This does. I have not been triggered once in that gamemode(yet). Players do stupid but hilarious things to get a buff to their ship. Things they would NEVER do in even Randoms. It's simply fun. And it works!

It forces players to move around the map to get the different buffs. Those who camp in the back will get HEAVILY punished later in the game. ("stock" Yamato vs Repulique that has 11km consealment and 14 seconds reload is very fun for Republique, but not the camping Yamato.)

Yep, you can get ridiculous numbers like that. Cruiser reload on BB's! That is why you see players play so aggressive and do some interesting things to get those buffs. It creates funny moments. I'm guessing we will see some ridiculous DMG numbers the next few weeks as well.  

Does it need tweaking?

Yeah. Balancing is needed. The buffs needs to be more evenly spread out around the map. You get some games where the flank you are on basically get no or few buffs, and the other flank gets many. The game then becomes quickly one sided. I imagine this can be easily fixed by WG tho. Soon™

DD's also seem benefit a bit to much from the buffs. But so far everything i have played in this gamemode has been fun. 

Economy seems fine, but where are the achievements WG? 

So if you have not tried it out yet, i encourage you to do so and tell us what you think. 

And if you have tried it, what needs work? Did you like it or not? Why? Please tell us so we can scream at the devs. 

I give the gamemode a solid

dice_5.png.29446b30e6db784c89c73286cd3bd24e.png

o7 peeps!

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[BOATY]
Players
546 posts
8,508 battles

I like it! :cap_like:

Had just one in my Seattle to get 200% exp bonus but I like it a lot. The mode rewards the teams that push together and penalize people who stay behind and snipe. 

We won without even seeing last objective... I had 2sec reload on main guns :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
655 posts
6,663 battles

it's a krapton of fun with mino, worcester and dds

but good god guys...the sheer amounts of re.ta.rds. that i'm seeing in this game mode is mind boggling, and i see too many people that doesn't get that the key for victory is playing aggressive

[-LD-]
[-LD-]
Players
11 posts
15,570 battles
5 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

it's a krapton of fun with mino, worcester and dds

but good god guys...the sheer amounts of re.ta.rds. that i'm seeing in this game mode is mind boggling, and i see too many people that doesn't get that the key for victory is playing aggressive

oh really, why would you assume that people who have to look for their balls all the games before (not successfuly of course) suddenly develop balls?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[MOUT]
Players
6 posts
2,305 battles

it's a great mode !

it rewards agressive/proactive play and i had a ton of fun in my Khaba , Henri or Hindy:cap_rambo:

I love seeing TX  BB's pushing hard in full gung ho mode ......not always successfull but when done right it's epic !

Good job WG a nice idea done right :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,678 posts
9,234 battles
8 hours ago, Episparh said:

We won without even seeing last objective... I had 2sec reload on main guns :cap_rambo:

[heavy breathing in Daring]

[UNICS]
Players
1,178 posts
14,957 battles

wonder if weeG33 will make stats for this gamemode, it might destroy the fun factor if they do

This also seems like the perfect mode for storms and cyclones..

• Cool 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
655 posts
6,663 battles
2 hours ago, Exocet6951 said:

[heavy breathing in Daring]

trust me, this game mode teach you what fear is:

-a gearing that get spotted at 4.2 kms and drop torps every 50 secs ( and fire every 1.8)

-a minotaur that get spotted at 6.1 kms and fire every 1.7 secs

-a worcester that fire every 2.5 secs and get spotted at 6.3

• Funny 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,119 posts
5,877 battles

Still need some balancing to be done here. Last night enemy team had only concealment buffs on their side while we were getting reload boost and heal. Don't even know how we managed to win that match as they had only shima destroyers plus that crazy stealth. 

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,674 posts
5,558 battles

I really enjoyed it. It's a lot less static. There's a lot more risk vs reward. Also some of the combos can be pretty crazy

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,973 posts
8,553 battles

Hi all,

14 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

arms.jpg.79b7b0e39b400ea866bc4493304f3586.jpg

Hello speshul people of the internet! :Smile_honoring:

So i have been playing Arms Race a bit today with a bunch of different classes and ships. Solo and in divisions. And i have to say, i love it!

Having basically a battle royal (ish) gamemode really works. I was a bit skeptical when i initially watched it play on different streams, but it came as a positive needed surprise. 

Warning: Its far from realistic, so you realism guys should stay away. :Smile_child:

Why do i think it's fun?

Well, it brings something new to a game that really needs it. We always get new ships, PVE missions ya-ta ya-ta. That is all fine and dandy but it does not bring a new "dimension" to the game. This does. I have not been triggered once in that gamemode(yet). Players do stupid but hilarious things to get a buff to their ship. Things they would NEVER do in even Randoms. It's simply fun. And it works!

It forces players to move around the map to get the different buffs. Those who camp in the back will get HEAVILY punished later in the game. ("stock" Yamato vs Repulique that has 11km consealment and 14 seconds reload is very fun for Republique, but not the camping Yamato.)

Yep, you can get ridiculous numbers like that. Cruiser reload on BB's! That is why you see players play so aggressive and do some interesting things to get those buffs. It creates funny moments. I'm guessing we will see some ridiculous DMG numbers the next few weeks as well.  

Does it need tweaking?

Yeah. Balancing is needed. The buffs needs to be more evenly spread out around the map. You get some games where the flank you are on basically get no or few buffs, and the other flank gets many. The game then becomes quickly one sided. I imagine this can be easily fixed by WG tho. Soon™

DD's also seem benefit a bit to much from the buffs. But so far everything i have played in this gamemode has been fun. 

Economy seems fine, but where are the achievements WG? 

So if you have not tried it out yet, i encourage you to do so and tell us what you think. 

And if you have tried it, what needs work? Did you like it or not? Why? Please tell us so we can scream at the devs. 

I give the gamemode a solid

dice_5.png.29446b30e6db784c89c73286cd3bd24e.png

o7 peeps!

I like it as well... and we did have some nice games last evening in it (except that last game when our DM messed up)... :Smile_great:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Funny 1

[DAVY]
Players
1,138 posts
5,106 battles
2 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

Great idea to improve T8 MM. :Smile_teethhappy:

Just played only 1 battle..

which the OP of this thread was on the enemy team..

but I really liked the auto healing and around 19seconds reload Musashi :)

That hindi in the end.. really thought he can get behind of that island before I reload :)

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,969 posts
3 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

That hindi in the end.. really thought he can get behind of that island before I reload :)

Intense and full of surprises - Random Narai.

Just too arcady and unpredictable to my taste.

Good idea as alternative to Co-op, but I hope it is not a preview of the things to come.

Players
1,409 posts
12,953 battles

shot-18_09.21_16_14.26-0404.thumb.jpg.8ad7c7953c891949546e48d34a787740.jpg

So basically the enemy on the flank i spawned got a buff right away. We did not. Next buffs after this also spawned for the enemy. Very hard for us to fight the enemy when they get buffs and we don't.. Yeah its somewhat mirrored on the West flank, but that does not give us on the East flank any chance. They ended up getting multiple concealment, reload and HP buffs. We only got two HP buffs. Automatically we lose that flank. 

This needs to be fixed WG.

Other than that though. This gamemode is fun as hell! 

@Tuccy

@MrConway

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Players
1,337 posts
10,776 battles
11 hours ago, Skyllon said:

Great idea to improve T8 MM. :Smile_teethhappy:

Yes, but all those unicum clubbers had to go somewhere and now are arms-racing through poor randoms there... 

11 hours ago, Excavatus said:

I also played only 1 battle, and have enough for now. Also got the heal (on the Gearing...) but our random Steve-squad was match-made by the Greatest WG Algorithm vs triple TWA division and RAIN guy. :cap_old:

TWA Henry together with his Khaba teammate simply RPF-ed me and chased all fkn game, slaughtering helpless potatoes on the way. 

3 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

So basically the enemy on the flank i spawned got a buff right away. We did not. Next buffs after this also spawned for the enemy. 

Exactly. I managed to get the heal buff but TWA div opposite me had concealment for granted and then simply proceeded to push me and grab things on the way. Because of trying to get the boost I got too close to them and then could not outrun 40+ -knot unicums using RPF. Hopeless & helpless. 

I was alone /typical for ALONE ;) / on the whole flank - spawned as totally separate 3-ship group: potato 39% wr /37k dmg Freddy (not accident, 160 games sample) died after few seconds, and 41% wr Zao (not accident, 290 games) suicided a moment later.

Zero help from BBabies in the centre which had the Henry in range & spotted all the time. 

No way Steves (or worse) can be any obstacle for a triple-purple division amplified by grabbed boosts. Some level of skill MM required. :cap_horn:

[TIPC]
Players
344 posts
16,121 battles
On 21/9/2018 at 1:08 AM, Flavio1997 said:

the majority of the player base hasnt learned three years now that the common tactic in randoms is to take and hold (support) the caps..Now imagine the same player base has to adapt in a new mode  1 day old with deferent tactic approach...

So for everyone that understands the gameplay in ARMS RACE MODE those days the game would be like:

ΣÏεÏική εικÏνα

[NWP]
Players
1,761 posts
12,092 battles

What @MortenTardo said, you need to look at the distribution of buffs. So both sides on one flank have at the least the option to get an equal amount (but not the same) of upgrades. 

And why not play around with the spawns a bit? You could go for some diagonal setups or what not in this mode as players will be driven towards the upgrades of which you have plenty to stear the initial movement. I really think this could add an extra dynamic ( as we used to have years ago with teams spawning in four corners and such ).

[CSN]
[CSN]
Players
7 posts
11,236 battles

Definetly good mod, but WG killed it accidentally by not including it in Mission parameters (you could not complete missions there..)

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
On 9/21/2018 at 12:46 PM, Skyllon said:

Intense and full of surprises - Random Narai.

Just too arcady and unpredictable to my taste.

Good idea as alternative to Co-op, but I hope it is not a preview of the things to come.

Thread resurected, because this comment was just too good to leave without a reply.  Salute Sir! :Smile_honoring:

With Arms Race being reportedly included in Tier 9 Ranked Battles, it turns out that it was a preview of things to come.

I personally try to avoid anything that makes the game too "arcade-y", but for those who like that sort of thing I hope that you have a great time playing it!  :Smile_honoring:

[SCRUB]
Players
1,969 posts

7 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Thread resurected, because this comment was just too good to leave without a reply.  Salute Sir! :Smile_honoring:

Thank you Sir!

7 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

With Arms Race being reportedly included in Tier 9 Ranked Battles, it turns out that it was a preview of things to come. 

My first reaction would be  -> :cap_wander:

On the other hand... Ranked are not competitive mode, so...

In my view, if WG wants to inject some life into Ranked, why not do T2?

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
937 posts
13,368 battles

I never liked AR and like the idea of ranked in it even less, hence I for one will only play it if the prizes are really really awsome...

Players
166 posts
8,941 battles

I personally like this gamemode but wont play it again,too frustrating with current playerbase,I mean average players cant find capture point in randoms, how they manage to understand more complicated things:cap_popcorn:

Players
725 posts
9,183 battles

Arms Race for Ranked :

- Need to be symetric : HP buff red = HP buff green.

- Limit the DD to 2 per Team, more is a ninja torpedo war

- T9, so premium land make some problem of balance (Musashi vs Alsace) and DD with radar be better maybe.