Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_RcmOkfI99bBx

RN Destroyers

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
35 posts

I got tier 5 rn dd and every time I got hit at least 2 of my modules getting destroyed and Im gettin so much damage. And I can not stealth torp. Well my guns are not that good, the only thing is Im so fast but if all of my modules gets destroyed by 1 salvo everytime, so what is the point of this? Im like a exp ball when I get spotted everybody is shooting at me cause they know even 1 shell hits I will be punished and lost 2 of my modules. Seems like not playable. I only had 2 matches but, receving damage is huge thats obvious and everybody can see that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
935 posts
7,216 battles

Have you played a Tier V destroyer before, do you really understand how spotting works in the game and do you have a DD spec captain? If the answer to any of those is no, this is the problem. The answer is - play a few more games in a low tier DD, watch the tutorials, make sure your Captain has Last Stand as a skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
2,394 posts
7,746 battles
8 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Have you played a Tier V destroyer before, do you really understand how spotting works in the game and do you have a DD spec captain? If the answer to any of those is no, this is the problem. The answer is - play a few more games in a low tier DD, watch the tutorials, make sure your Captain has Last Stand as a skill.

Like he said, and also Preventive Maintenance skill in level 1. Without those 2 you are in trouble with modules :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,070 posts
17,316 battles

Tier 5 UK Acasta is a hard one, it can not stealth torp, even with a captain with Concealment and added camo,  is spotted at 6 km and has 6 km torps. It has to be played around islands or in caps, like tier 5 US Nicholas. But it does not have Nicholas' smoke or guns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
2,409 posts
14,381 battles
11 hours ago, patr1234 said:

I got tier 5 rn dd and every time I got hit at least 2 of my modules getting destroyed and Im gettin so much damage. And I can not stealth torp. Well my guns are not that good, the only thing is Im so fast but if all of my modules gets destroyed by 1 salvo everytime, so what is the point of this? Im like a exp ball when I get spotted everybody is shooting at me cause they know even 1 shell hits I will be punished and lost 2 of my modules. Seems like not playable. I only had 2 matches but, receving damage is huge thats obvious and everybody can see that.

make sure you have the "preventive maintenance" and "Last Stand" for your captain. Also slot 1 main armaments mod, slot 2 propulsion mod and slot 3 aimin systems mod and all upgrades. Then try again:cap_old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
958 posts
13,500 battles

Acasta works ok for me, no speedbost and not that fast but turns on a dime so its good for knifefighting, also decent guns for starting fires and ok-ish AP for tickling broadside cruisers, torps are a bit meh but servicable espetially with individual launching i ff the captian i got (3pt) to 9pt with free commander xp should be even better when i slap ce on it got nice bunch of +250 commander xp camos handy :Smile_child:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
935 posts
7,216 battles

You can stealth torp in an Acasta, BTW, but you just have to attack something coming towards you. Single fire RN torps can be fired in super narrow spreads which are almost impossible to dodge, and you can always distract a target by opening fire after a torp launch. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XODUS]
Players
737 posts
4,214 battles
2 hours ago, 22cm said:

Tier 5 UK Acasta is a hard one, it can not stealth torp, even with a captain with Concealment and added camo,  is spotted at 6 km and has 6 km torps. It has to be played around islands or in caps, like tier 5 US Nicholas. But it does not have Nicholas' smoke or guns. 

Actually yes it can Stealth torp as WG have made it considerably easier to do so.
Look at a ship you are targeting with your torpedoes, if the heading marker indicates that the ship will enter torpedo range then you have the ability to make the turn about about 7km, drop the fish at 6.5km and fall back without straying into detection range. 

Although this does require knowledge on how to use the mini map. 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,381 posts
15,503 battles
16 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Single fire RN torps can be fired in super narrow spreads which are almost impossible to dodge,

 

Disclaimer: Only works on afk ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
367 posts
1,500 battles
2 hours ago, 22cm said:

It has to be played around islands or in caps, like tier 5 US Nicholas. But it does not have Nicholas' smoke or guns. 

Disclaimer: I don't have any RN DD yet, and honestly will probably grow a 10-point captain in Wakeful before progressing to Acasta.

 

But my understanding was that RN smoke isn't really weaker than US smoke, just different in that is lasts for a shorter amount of time but cools down quicker, arguably making it more flexible. It sounds like an interesting playstyle, though I would be interested to hear how that's working out in reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
2,409 posts
14,381 battles
8 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Disclaimer: Only works on afk ships.

Yeah, I've found them quite easy to dodge in fact. Much easier than the normal narrow spread anyways (with narrow spread, you often eat at least one, if they aimed them right). Been facing RN Cruisers in my Mogami nearly daily now and often in close quarters (I generally try to get bow-on close so I can use AP to citadel them to pieces, it sometimes even works). Have only eaten torps twice and that was mainly because I screwed up myself (turned the wrong way than I was supposed to). Other than that, if you are aware they will be coming, they are quite easy to dodge.... Well OK, I do have Vigilance skill and Hydro mounted, which helps a lot too, hehehe. :Smile_Default:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
179 posts
4,738 battles

Got all 4 RN DDs yesterday, and I rly enjoying Lightning.The playstyle is rly good.Although the hidro is sad that only 3km...at least better then nothing, but the acceleration is rly cool.Trolloloo ships:D bought the cossacks this morning, yes, im a collector, but a bit dissapointed..thought they gonna release it later....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles
3 hours ago, creamgravy said:

 

Disclaimer: Only works on afk ships.

Or on ships that are driving in straight lines. They are a far from dying breed... or rather, they die a lot, but they never learn anything from it.:Smile_sceptic:

 

The single shot option should not be underestimated, as it allows for tricks that normal launchers are simply unable to accomplish. Like launching all your torpedoes at a ship that is coming straight at you, and putting every last one of them up its nose. Or launching all your torpedoes through a very narrow gap between two islands.

 

But yes, it can easily backfire. Like that time in my Haida, when I launched all four of my torpedoes at a Kongo battleship that was sailing by no more than 1.8 km from my little smoke cloud... and a passing enemy Blyskawica darted in like Kevin Costner in Bodyguard, and took all four of them for the team. Whether accidentally or not, I really can't say, but I sure hope that Kongo captain thanked her handsomely for it! :Smile_teethhappy:

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,513 posts
10,546 battles
1 hour ago, JaiFoh said:

Actually yes it can Stealth torp as WG have made it considerably easier to do so.
Look at a ship you are targeting with your torpedoes, if the heading marker indicates that the ship will enter torpedo range then you have the ability to make the turn about about 7km, drop the fish at 6.5km and fall back without straying into detection range. 

Although this does require knowledge on how to use the mini map. 

You assume a 10 point captain, otherwise Acasta gets detected at 6,8 km.

 

I didnt have CE and didnt have enough commander XP to boost the captain. Believe me when I say i tried multiple times and it is not really possible, even when target is coming towards you. Torps run out 100-200m form the target.

 

Ship is a turd without CE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
453 posts
6,421 battles

Well I have the Tier 6 and it currently acts like a premium, so I dropped my 19 point Gallant captain in it. The guns are good, the torps 7 km, the hydro lasts for 3 minutes and the smoke is very neat. Lots of fun and probably quite workable. Looking forward to the T7 as it will be better again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XODUS]
Players
737 posts
4,214 battles
2 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

You assume a 10 point captain, otherwise Acasta gets detected at 6,8 km.

 

I didnt have CE and didnt have enough commander XP to boost the captain. Believe me when I say i tried multiple times and it is not really possible, even when target is coming towards you. Torps run out 100-200m form the target.

 

Ship is a turd without CE.

Most Destroyers sadly are
although right now IIRC the ships are considered premium so you can put any British Captain in there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
2,409 posts
14,381 battles
9 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Ship is a turd without CE.

Hhehehe! Oh well, the same thing can be said of almost any DD though. :Smile_Default:

 

But hey, that's what the Elite Commander XP is there for right? Problem solved.:cap_like:

 

Or a little torp practice with a Russian tier 5 DD and this one will soon seem like plenty good, I suspect. :Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CU]
Players
298 posts
3,444 battles

I only have 4 games in the Acasta but if this is a sign of the higher tiers, I am looking forward to working my way up and might even drop my Fiji captain in them for even more fun. 

5 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

You assume a 10 point captain, otherwise Acasta gets detected at 6,8 km.

6.6km with camo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI--]
Players
3,912 posts
5,023 battles
1 hour ago, creamgravy said:

 

Disclaimer: Only works on afk ships.

You don't have to launch them all in a line, but creating a spread on your own certainly helps at range, when you basically can tighten the spread to the the point that most torps don't just run past the target with no chance of hitting anyway. Also, you get no battleship sized gaps if you don't make any...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,613 posts
5,167 battles

How well do they work without IFHE?

 

On the single fire torps - always found those useful at ships that are parked or just moving slowly backwards and forwards....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
35 posts

I mostly play with DD's and I played tier8 so far. I could have played tier 10 too but I did not cause of service costs. Anyway, using torps against enemies coming at me is a nice idea. I already do this but you cant always find someone coming at you. I played every DD except soviets. So I played americans and I got tier7. Actually I know how to play with these kind of dd's but really receiving damage is different this time I can feel it. But I dont know if it is only like that at tier5? Maybe... Cause I have campletown and I did not have any problem like that with it. Thanks for all comments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×