Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
1MajorKoenig

Asashio - fun ship but... can we change on or two things...?

62 comments in this topic

[DREAD]
Players
5,122 posts
5,069 battles

Dear fellow sailors,

I would like to open another discussion on ASASHIO, the T8 premium IJN DD.

There was a lot of fear the ship would be breaking the meta and would only promote selfish damage farming gameplay. Not sure what the numbers say on the larger scale whether that happens but for me the opposite is true. I started playing her a lot more Team focussed than any other DD. Point is, you can't fight DDs alone so you Need to cooridnate with your cruisers. You can't fight CL/CAs at all so you Need to coordinate with your BBs (and CL/CAs again). A lot of times you are only spotting and capping and working for the fleet to Support you until you can actually attack yourself. Well sometimes you can attack slow BBs far back which is fun but usually for the later part of the game - save some lucky shots into spawn or the way from spawn to frontline.

My Problem though is that the gameplay is in my opinion a Little TOO limiting / restrictive. Especially with all the cruisers in the current meta it sometimes feels a bit odd to Scout and cap only without being able to fight until late.

Hence my request would be to add a TAD versatility to the ship without removing it's unique character entirely - through one of the following Options:

1. Add an in-battle Setting to your torpedoes to Change their Settings from 20km DW against BB/CV only and a more universal Setting against all classes with less range (eg. 10-12km) - just to be able to fight other classes as well
  2. Or - add cruisers to the menu of her 20km torpedoes

Don't get me wrong - I like the General Torpedo boat playstyle and I am certainly not hanging back 20km to torp at max range. However if the ship could be a Little less restricted - a Little less "One-Trick-Pony" - that would be awesome!

Cheers

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 3

[BGBRD]
Players
232 posts
9,026 battles

You can allways use Kagero... oh, yeah no 20km torps that have 0,8 km detecetion... oh and I almost forgot the torp reload booster...  bumer.  How rude of the devs to put so much cool stuff in one IJN DD that can use only DW torps, that hit only BB/CVs... the wallet warriors want to farm everyone from 20kms... shame WG, shame on you... 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 1

[DREAD]
Players
5,122 posts
5,069 battles
13 minutes ago, stinkmorchel said:

well, Asashio buyers should know what they have purchased. So, no. Leave it as it is.

Which they probably do. However - you know - drinks, play after parties, be curious, buy random stuff...

And she isn’t broken but switching Torpedo settings during battle would be a nice thing anyway - why not test it on her 

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,679 posts
5,569 battles

Well I own an Asashio would disagree with both options. Adding 10-12km normal torps simply makes it a P2W kagero since it would have possibly longer range torps, as well as having both smoke and TRB while the kagero has to choose.

Having the DW hit cruisers would also be a no for me as well. As hilarious as I might find it, these would absolutely murder cruisers.

Regarding fighting other DD, depends what you face. Obviously you're not going to come out well inn a 1v1 with a gearing, but asashio faces anything from tier 6 - X. There are plenty of DD that you can beat in a gun fight. With plenty of use of islands/smoke you can also break a fight with an enemy DD into several smaller engagements which reduces their DPM advantage. Using this you can sometimes take on stuff that you "shouldnt" be able to win against.

Generally the Asashio rewards patient play. I do have to ask though - how were you expecting it to play? You know it can only torp two classes. You knew it wasn't a gun boat either. It clearly wasn't going to charge into caps screaming "fite me".

Last time I checked the Asashio was best tier 8 DD both in terms of damage but also WR

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
7,293 battles

I've heard on more than one occasion that to make the most of Asashio you must create opportunities to use the guns as well. The torpedoes don't need to be buffed.

Being able to switch torpedoes gives her the best of both words, at will. Even if it required a full reload to unload the DW torps and load standard torps, having the option is a considerable advantage and would be an unnecessary buff.

[BGBRD]
Players
232 posts
9,026 battles
1 minute ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Which they probably do. However - you know - drinks, play after parties, be curious, buy random stuff...

And she isn’t broken but switching Torpedo settings during battle would be a nice thing anyway - why not test it on her 

Why don't think more/watch some reviews before buying?

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
791 posts
2,975 battles

As someone who owns her, I can tell you that either one of these changes would make her absolutely ridiculously overpowered.

• Cool 7

[KAKE]
Players
791 posts
2,975 battles

If I was going to propose a change, it would be to give her an alternate torpedo module with regular Kagero torps (ie choose before battle).

But they'd have to either tweak the base reload or make it so that the alternate module made her lose trb.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,679 posts
5,569 battles
4 minutes ago, Benser said:

Even if it required a full reload to unload the DW torps and load standard torps, having the option is a considerable advantage and would be an unnecessary buff.

Needing a full reload wouldnt even be a problem - you would simply dump your DW against the nearest BB and then use the TRB to almost instantly load the normal torps. You would have them ready in seconds.

[DREAD]
Players
5,122 posts
5,069 battles
7 hours ago, OTECa1 said:

Why don't think more/watch some reviews before buying?

I watched reviews and I do like her. Don’t get me wrong. 

I bought her purely out of curiosity and was surprised she felt different to what I expected.

Still she is a one trick pony and would like to see a little bit of versatility 

8 hours ago, OTECa1 said:

wallet warriors want to

Wallet Warriors keep the game going my friend - a little more respect s’il vous plaît :-)

(wouldn’t call myself one but don’t mind spending on interesting ships)

@Uglesett switching to default Torpedos before battle would be something as well in case you expect only cruisers. The point about the reload booster is valid though 

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,679 posts
5,569 battles

Why don't you just play the kagero? That seems to be the ship you are actually looking for.

It has the same hull, guns, 5.4km detection etc. It has 8x 10km normal torps. It can choose either smoke or TRB.

• Cool 1

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,483 battles
35 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Last time I checked the Asashio was best tier 8 DD both in terms of damage but also WR

Kidd tops the all time win rate charts, but the Asashio really tops the damage charts by hitting those big boats hard. Apparently though, according to WG's API, it is not a premium ship (most are not correctly flagged), so you can buy it with credits. :Smile-_tongue:

Screenshot from 2018-09-20 08-08-37.png

• Cool 1

[BGBRD]
Players
232 posts
9,026 battles
18 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Wallet Warriors keep the game going my friend - a little more respect s’il vous plaît :-)

(wouldn’t call myself one but don’t mind spending on interesting ships)

@Uglesett switching to default Torpedos before battle would be something as well in case you expect only cruisers. The point about the reload booster is valid though 

Respect for someone that don't understand how to use his brand new premium ship and want it buffed... no, not. I could respect if you asked for a advice, but not a whine for buffs on noob-trap-premium.

29 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I watched reviews and I do like her. Don’t get me wrong. 

I bought her purely out of curiosity and was surprised she felt different to what I expected.

If you've watched the reviews you probably saw that most of the Youtube-ers voted against releasing the ship in it's current form (the one that is in game now). Exactly because it's "one-trick-pony". But you probably skipped that part of the reviews after seeing Flamu/IchaseGaming/Notser pulling 200k+ dmg and 4-5+ kills in a single game, forgetting that those players are unicums that can make almost every ship in the game look OP as hell. Long story short - you done :etc_swear: up. L2P.

Bye

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles
1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Then get a different ship. Your first suggestion makes her basically a Kagero (or proto-yugumo with 12 km) that can switch into a lulzy anti-BB DWT setting at will. Second makes it absolutely ridiculous if it can also nuke cruisers along the way with 21k damage torps. Neither of your suggestions is balanced. Both are just insanely OP and basically straight up better than a Kagero.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the limited versatility either. But any change to Asashio to make it more versatile needs to trade something away too and it will not happen. You knew what you were getting with this ship. Don't like the limited versatility? Don't buy it (and thus stop financially supporting the concept of a one trick pony ship). Get a Kagero, play that. Or you just could have bought a Harekaze instead.

1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Throwing money at the game (and questionable ship designs) doesn't entitle you to not get shot down for this dumb request. You openly state you were knowledgeable of what you were getting. It is clear that the Asashio is "balanced" around its utter lack of versatility (and still overperforms in randoms). Yet you somehow want it buffed and bring up two suggestions that would be straight upgrades, ignoring how they'd powercreep the hell out of the Kagero. What other treatment did you expect?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,728 posts
7,387 battles

Dont worry. Asashio RDWT (really deep water torps) will be able to hit entirelly submerged subs. In the meantime be patient. Ok? 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[TOXIC]
Players
1,154 posts
16,423 battles

No. Asashio is balanced with considering its current configuration. Any changes would need a re-balance of the ship. Asashio is very strong in one thing and mediocre in others. But that was intentionally done, she is designed to counter BBs and that is all. Even tho I think that is stupid but that is what WG has done. You want universal ship play Kagero or Harekaze. Asashio don't need any buffing.

[DREAD]
Players
5,122 posts
5,069 battles
1 hour ago, OTECa1 said:

Respect for someone that don't understand how to use his brand new premium ship and want it buffed... no, not. I could respect if you asked for a advice, but not a whine for buffs on noob-trap-premium.

If you've watched the reviews you probably saw that most of the Youtube-ers voted against releasing the ship in it's current form (the one that is in game now). Exactly because it's "one-trick-pony". But you probably skipped that part of the reviews after seeing Flamu/IchaseGaming/Notser pulling 200k+ dmg and 4-5+ kills in a single game, forgetting that those players are unicums that can make almost every ship in the game look OP as hell. Long story short - you done :etc_swear: up. L2P.

Bye

Unhelpful blabla by random nerd. Thanks and bye

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
235 posts
9,846 battles
3 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Dear fellow sailors,

I would like to open another discussion on ASASHIO, the T8 premium IJN DD.

There was a lot of fear the ship would be breaking the meta and would only promote selfish damage farming gameplay. Not sure what the numbers say on the larger scale whether that happens but for me the opposite is true. I started playing her a lot more Team focussed than any other DD. Point is, you can't fight DDs alone so you Need to cooridnate with your cruisers. You can't fight CL/CAs at all so you Need to coordinate with your BBs (and CL/CAs again). A lot of times you are only spotting and capping and working for the fleet to Support you until you can actually attack yourself. Well sometimes you can attack slow BBs far back which is fun but usually for the later part of the game - save some lucky shots into spawn or the way from spawn to frontline.

My Problem though is that the gameplay is in my opinion a Little TOO limiting / restrictive. Especially with all the cruisers in the current meta it sometimes feels a bit odd to Scout and cap only without being able to fight until late.

Hence my request would be to add a TAD versatility to the ship without removing it's unique character entirely - through one of the following Options:

1. Add an in-battle Setting to your torpedoes to Change their Settings from 20km DW against BB/CV only and a more universal Setting against all classes with less range (eg. 10-12km) - just to be able to fight other classes as well
  2. Or - add cruisers to the menu of her 20km torpedoes

Don't get me wrong - I like the General Torpedo boat playstyle and I am certainly not hanging back 20km to torp at max range. However if the ship could be a Little less restricted - a Little less "One-Trick-Pony" - that would be awesome!

Cheers

Image result for I want everything meme

• Funny 2

[QUCA]
Weekend Tester
936 posts
4,198 battles

The only thing ashashio needs is WG letting it in fail divisions with t10s so you can savor more BBaby tears.

Sign in to follow this