Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

sub vs sub

5 comments in this topic

[-AP-]
Players
1,927 posts
4,797 battles

WIth all this talk about subs incoming to the game, i just started wondering, cause i know that there are sink-bombs and such that destroyers can attack subs with, but how are subs supposed to fight each other? Im pretty sure there werent homing torpedoes around during ww2, and they cant possibly hit eachother with torps unless they are surfaced right? Any historian or knowledgeable person out there that can shed some light on this for me?

Alternatively, how do you think that wargaming will make subs able to fight eachother?

Players
959 posts
14,892 battles

There were a few passive homing (i.e., acoustic) torpedoes like the G7es "Zaunkönig", but their targets were a lot more noisy than a submarine running on batteries. Also running depth for torpedoes could be adjusted before launch (something that hasn't been implemented in WoWS, having normal and deep water torpedoes completely separated instead). In any case, sub vs. sub engagements would have been either surfaced or at periscope depth the way invicta2012 described them, which is how I also expect them to be implemented in the game.

Salute.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
29 minutes ago, thiextar said:

WIth all this talk about subs incoming to the game, i just started wondering, cause i know that there are sink-bombs and such that destroyers can attack subs with, but how are subs supposed to fight each other?

Main gun. Or torp surfaced boat. Or torp boat that's on PD. There's only one known ww2 example where one submerged boat torpedoed another succesfully iirc. How? "Analog" TMA (also known as using maths, brains, pens and paper). Other than that - subs didn't really fight each other, sub on sub combat really picked up during the cold war.

I imagine sub on sub in wows will be either like watching old people have sex or something that would put star trek to shame.

[-AP-]
Players
1,927 posts
4,797 battles
6 minutes ago, orzel286 said:

I imagine sub on sub in wows will be either like watching old people have sex or something that would put star trek to shame.

I really hope that wasnt a nab at star trek, dont you harass that masterpiece sir.

Sign in to follow this