Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Strefs

USS Indianapolis - Review

18 comments in this topic

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
308 posts
5,409 battles

unknown.pngUSS Indianapolis

As a special event for patch 0.7.5, players were able to pick up a USS Indianapolis by completing tasks in a marathon. To those that have been wondering whether it’s worth taking it out of port, or to those that perhaps been wondering whether it’s worth the odd 30 euros, here are my two (euro)cents on this iconic piece of history.

History
Built as a Portland-class cruiser, USS Indianapolis was one of the last cruisers subjected to the Washington Naval Treaty. She can be considered the “step-up” from the Pensacola-class of cruisers. The Portland-class ships were purposefully outfitted as flagships.USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)_underway_at_sea,_in_1943-1944_(NH_124466).jpg
USS Indianapolis herself, is a quite famous ship, unfortunately not as much for her service than the way that she met her end.
Indy served from the North Pacific to the South Pacific. She participated in numerous battles, earning her a total of 10 battle stars.
During her final weeks, she was tasked with a top secret transport mission. She carried Uranium for Little Boy from California to Hawaii and from Hawaii to Tinian. After the delivery, Indianapolis was to continue on to Leyte. Just past midnight on July 30th, Japanese submarine I-58 torpedoed Indianapolis. 2 torpedoes struck the vessel, the first one setting the AVGAS tanks carried by her on fire, while the second one ignited the magazine. Prior to sinking Indianapolis did manage to get a distress signal out, but without confirmation, Navy officers decided to ignore the distress call, due to navy regulations, fearing the possibility of an ambush. The vessel sank rapidly, with the loss of 300 lives.
The remaining - some 900 men - would float for the next 3 days before being found, enduring the burning heat of the sun, thirst, hunger, and perhaps the most violent shark attacks of all time. Out of 1196 crewmen, 317 remained at the time of rescue.

In-game rundown
Indy has a hit-point pool of 32500, with armour ranging from 13mm on the superstructure, 16mm aft and front, to 22mm midships. The Citadel is protected with a 100mm armour belt, 146mm at the thickest in the protrusions going to the barbettes which are 38mm, and 16mm-57mm below waterline. The citadel deck is 63mm – All in all just about mid-range T7 squish.
Indianapolis’ main armament consists of 3x3 8 inch guns, arguably the best at her tier, with a reload of 14.3 seconds and a training speed of almost 26 seconds. She also receives 8x1 5 inch secondaries that work DP. The AA suite is good, consisting of short range Oerlikons, mid range Bofors, and the aforementioned 5 inch batteries. She is decently fast, at 32.5kn, and has a rudder shift of 8.4s, making her quite maneuverable. Concealment fully spec’d goes down to 10.8, which is good for a ship her size.

• Consumable Choice

Indianapolis gets access to standard US Damacon, a choice of either t7 hydro or defensive AA, as well as a long range radar. This is to serve as the highlight of the ship, and elevates her "uniqueness" among other t7 premium ships.

• Captain Spec

unknown.pngI’d strongly recommend taking superintendent at tier 3, and concealment expert at tier 4. I’ve not noticed my engine getting knocked out too often, therefore I’m personally going to put forward Expert Marksman at tier 2, due to the slow traverse of her guns, although your mileage may vary.

Gameplay and Analysis
I did not enjoy Indianapolis too much to be quite honest The downsides as a flexible cruiser outweigh the upsides:

Pros:
    • Strong guns
    • Long range radar
    • Decent concealment for a ship her size
    • Mid-range AA is strong

Cons:
    • Very large target
    • Highly susceptible to both HE and AP from most ships
    • Long reloads

Conclusionunknown.png
Indianapolis is a ship labelled “commit” wrapped in a “don’t commit” package. She is equipped with a radar - one which outperforms other ships’ radars at that tier. This is all well and good, but I just don’t see it outweighing her biggest drawback - her squishy nature, combined with her large size. Everything about her screams “make yourself as hard to hit as possible”, which, to my understanding, doesn’t mean go towards the cap circle with only a destroyer to support you. Unlike other radar cruisers, she can't do it while being stealthed, and doesn't have the armour to minimize the effect of enemy fire, should she want to put herself in harm's way in order to get a radar off.

She’s not all bad, of course. With good use of islands, thinking ahead, and being aware of your surroundings, a competent player can make this ship work. Her guns are capable and her AA is good. Get in, get out, wait for your consumables to get off cool-down. Use that rudder and good speed to your advantage and to position yourself well. But boy does she not make it easy.

Therefore I can’t really recommend this ship. I’ve had my ups and downs in Indy, and I really value her for her historical significance, but she just isn’t something I’d take out for a spin regularly. So for collectors, a definite yes. For the pure pleasure of playing, not so much.

Congratulations to __Helmut_Kohl__ and HMS_Argosax  for getting the last word-hunt. The solution - GOTTAGOFRENCH - was a combination of words found, 1 in each image, and the word go, written in a different font in the text.

unknown.png unknown.png unknown.png

I’ve taken into consideration what has been said on last week’s post, and I’d like to try a new format, a bit different, and perhaps easier. Some of you might be familiar with the game say-what-you-see. Players are given a few images, and from them they need to make a word.

As an example, the image below:

unknown.png

Makes the word firewall. I'd also like to mention that in some cases, words that sound together like another word, can be used, so be imaginative (the letter I followed by a screaming face could for instance be ice-cream). For today’s “riddle” we’ll play a round of say-what-you-see. Again, we have one Super-container for the first person to get it right, and 4x10 subscriber camouflages for those that come in second.

TODAY'S RIDDLE:

SWYS.png

hint 1: a type of sandwich, a loving parent, something you find on your internet browser (and different software), letter(s), a woman with a handbag, a gender symbol, a universal sign found on many plastics nowadays, and a man doing something

hint 2: it's 2 things to do with current affairs in world of warships!

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

Players
310 posts
760 battles

Nice post, pretty interesting that it did actually carry the nuke. Still sad that the higher ups blundering about caused less people to survive when it sank however.

also I’m pretty sure someone got the code before me, if I’m correct it has to do with the vids that WG realeased.

308 posts
5,409 battles

If you think you have the code, send me a PM! At the time of me writing this, nobody has PM'd me.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles

If you put one of the special John Doe captains in command of the Indianapolis, you can make good use of their improved Expert Loader and Expert Marksman skills. The improved Expert Loader skill is especially useful, since you can switch ammo type almost instantly to react to a sudden opportunity.

Nice review! :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

Players
889 posts
7,325 battles
19 hours ago, Procrastes said:

If you put one of the special John Doe captains in command of the Indianapolis, you can make good use of their improved Expert Loader and Expert Marksman skills. The improved Expert Loader skill is especially useful, since you can switch ammo type almost instantly to react to a sudden opportunity.

Nice review! :Smile_great:

This is a good idea -- I run John Doe on the Pensacola, because the guns are so sluggish, and the reload is so long (hence Expert Loader gives a bigger boost). These are ships where the ability to quickly switch to the optimal ammo really pays off.

I like the Indianapolis. It feels like a well balanced premium ship. It's very perilous to play, but it gives you USN 200 mm guns and radar which are monumental assets at T7. There's definitely a high skill floor to avoid insta-deletion and to make most out of those salvos due to the slow reload. 

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles
48 minutes ago, jss78 said:

This is a good idea -- I run John Doe on the Pensacola, because the guns are so sluggish, and the reload is so long (hence Expert Loader gives a bigger boost). These are ships where the ability to quickly switch to the optimal ammo really pays off.

I like the Indianapolis. It feels like a well balanced premium ship. It's very perilous to play, but it gives you USN 200 mm guns and radar which are monumental assets at T7. There's definitely a high skill floor to avoid insta-deletion and to make most out of those salvos due to the slow reload. 

If you run John Doe on the Pensacola, you can probably trust him with the Indianapolis as well. That's what I do, and he's not let me down so far.

And your character description of the Indianapolis is spot on. Played with care and skill (more than really I have, I must admit), she can be very rewarding.

As for the Pensacola, she's a real workhorse in many operations. Have you tried her in Operation Killer Whale? Those ten 203 mm guns... she smashes the forts like they were a game of whack-a-mole, when the enemy ships appear she tears them to shreds (shreds, I say!), and in the endgame - provided you specc her for AA - she will clear the sky of enemy planes like it was a second Great Turkey Shoot. So much fun!

[POP]
Players
315 posts
7,700 battles

Indianajones is a great ship to introduce new DD players to the world of radars.

[POI--]
Players
3,912 posts
5,023 battles
1 hour ago, jss78 said:

The issue though, is that these two don't mesh together with much of the rest of the ship. It's a CA, with armour that cannot withstand much and it gets decent range, so it would suggest being played at range. radar is a short range asset though. On Atlanta, the radar complements the ship. On the Indianapolis, it becomes the thing you get reported for not using, when people think you should go into the cap and kill DDs despite it being one of the most retarded things you can do as long as BBs are around and able to blap you for it. And when you play it at range, it is pretty uninspiring, while up close, you lack armour and torps to survive these stunts. Indianapolis can be an asset, but frankly, every other T7 cruiser felt more comfortable to me than this one, except for NO, which I haven't played, Flint and Belfast which I also don't have, but wich both are OP.

308 posts
5,409 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

T7 cruiser felt more comfortable to me than this one, except for NO, which I haven't played, Flint and Belfast which I also don't have, but wich both are OP.

To be quite fair, this is why I can't really recommend the Indianapolis. She faces too strong competition at her tier. Sure, Belfast is off sale, and Flint is a bit of a grind, but you still have other ships like Atlanta, Boise, and even Abruzzi. Each of those ships has it's strengths and a clear indication of play-style, which doesn't contradict itself in practice.

[POI--]
Players
3,912 posts
5,023 battles
21 minutes ago, BrigadierRosen said:

Im guessing this premium wouldn't be suitable for a newish player like me?

wish they had a tier 7 french cruiser without the gimmick.

As a purchase? No. If you like French cruisers, get a De Grasse instead. 

• Cool 2

308 posts
5,409 battles
45 minutes ago, BrigadierRosen said:

You'll find yourself at the short end of the stick with this ship. As a new player, I'd recommend some more forgiving ships. A lot of people, me included, believe that one of the hardest (and most important) skills to master in a cruiser is staying alive, and this one makes it particularly hard. It's not easy to come by a premium cruiser without a gimmick, the struggle to make them unique for players often brings up some interesting compromises. I myself found Boise to be the most enjoyable out of the current premium ship roster, together with Abruzzi. Both boast a heal which allow players to take more damage (and also make mistakes). Abruzzi is however a bit of an acquired taste (a lot of medium-long range shelling and wiggling). Both work best if you have a at least 10 point captain with IFHE, ideally 14 points with IFHE and Concealment Expert. sidenote: I don't know how far you're into the game itself and the game's lingo, so if there are any questions, don't be a stranger and ask!

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,912 posts
5,023 battles
1 hour ago, BrigadierRosen said:

To give a bit more insight on why Indianapolis isn't for you, as @Strefs stated, one of the hardest skills as a cruiser is staying alive. Next would be to stay relevant. In a way, the game actually is supportive of that, as low tier cruisers quickly get overshadowed by BBs and DDs, before becoming ever more relevant the higher up you go. Indianapolis as a cruiser is pretty lackluster. It's not bad, but it certainly is not a game winner. It has to put in a lot of effort. It has its radar, which is not to be discounted, but even in that aspect, it is the hardest T7 radar to get much use out of. So, Indianapolis is likely one of the harder premium cruisers in the game.

Spoiler

In spoilers, because it goes off-topic, but if you want a premium cruiser, here's some thoughts:

• I doubt you want anything of T5 and lower, given typically premium cruisers are for fun, but also credits. T5 and lower economy is terrible. If you still want a cruiser of low tier, my first recommendation is Yubari. For one, the ship is pretty solid and behaves a bit more like a modern cruiser and you can learn things with it. Second, the ship is not bad and can get nice results with some skill. Last, but not least, Yubari can be acquired for coal. Get your coal containers, this ship is available for free. For other lower tier cruisers. They are basically collector's items.
  • Boise and Duca degli Abruzzi are indeed two light cruisers that are both more survivable due to repair party. I don't know Duca degli Abruzzi's viability, but Boise is considered quite strong due to its insane insane party, while being a proto-Helena (Brooklyn-class) and Helena is a great ship at T7. If you are willing to spend the sum, Boise is likely an overall decent investment, though it needs at least 10 points. Without IFHE, this ship is hard to do meaningful damage with. Boise is recommended over Duca (and over Nueve de Julio, which is the same ship as Boise), because it is American. It has a tech line with which you can share the captain. And American CLs are a decent tech tree line.
  • As you play French cruisers, the only premium French cruiser is De Grasse. It's basically a better La Galissoniere. If you liked La Gal, this ship is basically the same. It's T6, so cheaper with less return, but still viable for a player on a budget. Not necessarily needs IFHE, but recommended upon getting 14 points. It has no repair party though.
  • If we go into T6 with repair party, there's only Graf Spee. And to be fair, that is a survivable ship (for a tier where cruisers are basically all floating citadels). It has hp like a T8, repair party and a citadel that is a bit less easy to hit (but far from safe), making it far less likely to explode with some careful handling. The downside is, it also isn't your typical cruiser. It has BB guns and is slow. Graf Spee can be a ton of fun, but due to its peculiarities, I'd straight up not recommend it to new players. It has 6 guns only, with 20 seconds reload, accuracy inbetween BB and CL level and its HE is terrible, so AP needs to be used often to get results.
  • What might come to mind when thinking of cruisers with repair are Atago and Prinz Eugen. Both are T8, somewhat durable for their tier, but really, I would say, as a new player, do not buy ships at T8 or higher. Against T10s, both ships need a fair deal of effort to stay relevant. At least they do a better job at staying alive than their tech tree counterparts, but you likely got better uses for 40 Euro than a T8 with anaemic dpm and harsh matchmaking.
  • Of the remaining T6 cruisers, the next best is likely Perth in terms of survivability. And that says a lot, given it basically is a Leander without a repair party. It gets the special moving smoke though, which counts for something. I'm going to say though, the ship is straight up not recommended for anyone who has not yet played Leander and found her to their liking. Perth will often feel like a gimmicky Leander (which it is) and will ask more of its captain to realise the full potential of the ship. Perth is a Commonwealth cruiser though and thus will need a dedicated captain of its own.
  • Huang He is basically a Perth with one turret less and more AA, but no defAA. Why would you bother? Pan-Asian too, so the only other cruiser there is the T1 Chengan.
  • Duca d'Aosta is a small fast light cruiser that looks neat but has some damage issues. It gets hydro and defAA in seperate slots though. But that's two consumables that don't help you stay alive. At least Perth had smoke. Duca d'Aosta, like her larger T7 relative is Italian and has no tech tree line (yet).
  • Molotov is  not bad either, it will likely do more damage than the Duca. But it also is a floating citadel, easy to kill.
  • Lastly, of T6/7 cruisers, there is Atlanta. For being T7 and USN, I mention Atlanta pretty late, but for a reason. Atlanta has an easier to use radar than Indianapolis, but it's overall a harder ship. It's an oversized DD with a citadel. Atlanta has no armour nor hp. It has a ton of small caliber guns, which can be fun, but it's better to first learn cruiser gameplay elsewhere. And you likely need at least 14 points to get anywhere decent.

None of these ships is necessarily bad. Just a lot aren't great recommendations for someone looking for nice beginner-friendly cruisers.

• Cool 1

Players
289 posts
977 battles

ok thanks risolette and strefs, didn't realise cruisers were that hard to play in general and need to be that consistent to do well in.

makes me wonder what kind of premium ship i should just go for in general (kinda limited for money soo maybe tier7 maybe tier8 if i save up).

would the musashi be something i should consider getting?

i love the la galissonnaire so the premium version looks fine too me for the most part.

but yeah i still struggle with surviving in cruisers decently.

[POI--]
Players
3,912 posts
5,023 battles
1 minute ago, BrigadierRosen said:

ok thanks risolette and strefs, didn't realise cruisers were that hard to play in general and need to be that consistent to do well in.

makes me wonder what kind of premium ship i should just go for in general (kinda limited for money soo maybe tier7 maybe tier8 if i save up).

would the musashi be something i should consider getting?

i love the la galissonnaire so the premium version looks fine too me for the most part.

but yeah i still struggle with surviving in cruisers decently.

I'd stay clear of T8 premiums entirely, tbh. T8 MM means T10 games and with your experience paying 30-45 Euro to get thrown into high tier as bottom tier ship is not going to go well. Similarly, Musashi at T9 is a bit iffy. It's a good ship (if not OP), but for one, it's likely the hardest T10 BB at T9 with its vulnerabilities even more accentuated, and also it needs 750k free exp. Converting that costs over a 100 Euros. For that kind of money, you could as well go get a nice lower tier ship and premium account for months.

I have no clue what you enjoy in terms of gameplay. I'd say if all you want is more credit income, get some premium account and play more lines to find what is your kind of thing. In terms of income, T5 is basically terrible (unless you roflstomp the field in Giulio Cesare or Kamikaze, I guess), T6 sees some income that might be worthwhile, T7 starts becoming good at proper credit grinding, T8 and higher is where you can get a 500k+ with good signal loadout and a decent game. So, T6 to 7 is where I'd argue is best for newer players, but requires some decent game performance still to give good returns.

For merely learning the game, play tech line ships, play multiple lines to see what style fits you best. Buy a premium for a style you like and you do well at. Also, it's partly up to personal preference. For example, personally, my favourites at T6 and 7 for learning something would be Graf Spee and Hood, but few would recommend these ships, as Spee is just too special, while Hood is... kind of uninspiring to most people and often viewed as not very good. But Graf Spee is a T6 cruiser that still plays much like a cruiser in positioning. More forgiving, but you still get the feedback when you messed up. Its guns are atypical though. Hood, because it's tanky, but only as long as it stays angled. Give broadside, you die. One of the most valuable things to learn in a BB. But both cost money and it is better to know about the game and make an informed decision based on that before buying a premium really. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this