You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Larky2k

spotted by plane bug?

11 comments in this topic

[WAFU]
Weekend Tester
185 posts
1,285 battles

just had a game in my Belfast where was was permanently spotted by planes even those there was no aircraft with in 10km of me? ii was surrounded by team mates and just was lit up constantly hid behind island was still spotted. died due to everyone shot at me.

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
585 posts
4,396 battles

Do you have the replay or some screenshots at least?

Cause without those it's going to be hard for us to explain what happened....

I'm going to guess magic.

[ONE2]
Players
2,946 posts
17,741 battles

Oh yeah, indeed a good observation - Planes can see behind islands too. Hiding behind an island does not work, if there are spotter planes nearby because they'll light you up every time you shoot (bloom). It only works, if there are no planes in the vicinity or if you are sitting in smoke yourself. :cap_old:

IF you have good LONG RANGE AA you can try shooting it down first by focusing your AA on the plane so it might go down on it's next lap coming near you and then you can fire freely again (but of course, while you are doing this you will still be visible to the enemy, so take care) from concealment. This has worked well for my Hipper on occasion, not sure about the RN CL AA tho. :Smile_Default:

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,622 battles

Planes are visible on 8km, ships can be seen on 11km from the air. So there is a 3km radius where a plane can spot you without you being able to see it.

Players
2,660 posts
4 hours ago, Larky2k said:

just had a game in my Belfast where was was permanently spotted by planes even those there was no aircraft with in 10km of me? ii was surrounded by team mates and just was lit up constantly hid behind island was still spotted. died due to everyone shot at me.

No smoke then?

Players
507 posts
5,039 battles

Welcome to the life of any ship with concealment above 8Km and an AA aura that rarely goes beyond 6Km. Permanent spotted by invisible planes because you can only see them if they are within 8Km of you but they spot you from whatever is your air detection, even behind islands. Yet, people complaint radar works through islands...

This is also the reason why a good scouter/fighter plane build on a cruiser is an optimal farming build because anytime someone shoots they remain visible to you, and add torp spotting to that too. There is a reason why some people opt for double plane setup on Des Moines instead of radar, and it's not just a meme.

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,622 battles
Vor 10 Minuten, EgyptOverseer sagte:

Permanent spotted by invisible planes because you can only see them if they are within 8Km of you but they spot you from whatever is your air detection, even behind islands. Yet, people complaint radar works through islands...

:fish_palm:

Planes are not behind islands. They fly. That means they are above islands. Of course they can spot from there

• Cool 1

Players
507 posts
5,039 battles
15 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

:fish_palm:

Planes are not behind islands. They fly. That means they are above islands. Of course they can spot from there

Interesting. Thought you were aware that there are islands higher than the normal plane flying altitude. Try going to Two brothers, get to middle, put a plane up and notice how you can spot ships behind either islands, despite them clearly having no direct line of sight to the ship itself. The engine ensures they often don't clip the islands so they end up in these crazy vertical flightpaths, but as long as they are up, they spot. It just so happens that most islands are not as tall as the normal plane flightpaths, but when they are, the spotting through islands is beyond clear. I use it myself, the same way I get frustrated when in a BB and unable to target the plane that is permanent spotting me through the island because he is rendered behind the island.

• Cool 2

Players
4,754 posts
9,638 battles
12 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Interesting. Thought you were aware that there are islands higher than the normal plane flying altitude. Try going to Two brothers, get to middle, put a plane up and notice how you can spot ships behind either islands, despite them clearly having no direct line of sight to the ship itself. The engine ensures they often don't clip the islands so they end up in these crazy vertical flightpaths, but as long as they are up, they spot. It just so happens that most islands are not as tall as the normal plane flightpaths, but when they are, the spotting through islands is beyond clear. I use it myself, the same way I get frustrated when in a BB and unable to target the plane that is permanent spotting me through the island because he is rendered behind the island.

I suppose this is basically just a visual, the height at which a plane is flying doesn't seem to affect its spotting distance.

I use this a lot to spot behind islands, the catapult plane will spot any enemy ships right away after the plane is dispatched.

• Cool 1

Players
507 posts
5,039 battles
1 hour ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I suppose this is basically just a visual, the height at which a plane is flying doesn't seem to affect its spotting distance.

I use this a lot to spot behind islands, the catapult plane will spot any enemy ships right away after the plane is dispatched.

True. Just surprised that Cornflakes is unaware of that.

Visual or not, if it's behind an island it can't be spotted by surface ships even within 8Km, but it can spot anything despite land mass being between. That makes it effectively a radar that also spots torps. Planes have always been an issue with surface game mechanics.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles
19 hours ago, Hummus said:

I'm going to guess magic.