Sign in to follow this  
MrConway

Map Updates (North, Islands of Ice)

11 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,131 posts
2,239 battles

Please leave your feedback about the new version of the maps North and Islands of Ice in this thread.

You can find out more about this topic on the portal.

Players
18 posts
4,310 battles

The new versions of the two map, is very good. I found the map way more balanced and fun to play. It allow much more flanking sneaky dd play. More over now you are never far from actions in any cap. It is a very good life imrovement for those two map expecialy for Islands of Ice.

[BEWBS]
[BEWBS]
Players
6 posts
3,896 battles

After a bunch of matches in different tiers, shipclasses and gamemodes on both map I would like to give some feedback:

North:
Yes, f***ing finally!!! Absolutely great what you did here, the map still offers tons of hidey holes if your ship is small enough and the additional gaps in the central island are offering great ambush spots an nice little torp angles...especially if you can fire single line torpedos :-) Great changes overall. Also the heigth reduction of many of the rocks now offer a more balanced feeling as not only worcester/Atlanta style arcs are able to pass over but "normal" cruiser shell arcs can get over now too. And for the "No BB" signs at the corners to old D cap... :-D ...I think they are still too small.

Ice Islands:
This one though...I understand your approach. Open up the map a bit, add more but smaller cover, create variable lines of sight across the map...great idea. But what it actually created is the campiest map we have in the mappool now. DDs will instantly rush behind the REALLY large rocks in A and C cap and never come out again if they know what they are doing. BB's will push to the first rock they can find and park there to take potshots at 22km to the diagonally mirrored positioned BB's on the other side...which means bow in duels at ranges where even Yamato guns have problems to hit more than 1 shell from a front turrets volley. Cruiser on the other hand might follow their DDs...or pick similar camping positions as the BB's....just one row of rocks further in the map. It is now so incredibly foreseeable that 20KM torps from a flank shima might actually be the best way to play this map now...and that's a really bad sign.

I attached a graphic which pictures my personal experience for T8-10 matches, other people might see it differently but this is what I encountered during EU prime time. The positions for Stalingrad/Krohnstadt can also be occupied by a Moskva sometimes...I think you get what I wanted to say. the rest of the team usually scatters around those positions or get picked off early. The team with the less patient DD usually looses.

islands of ice new.jpg

Edited by milzmilz
forgot half a sentence
  • Cool 1

[OMNI]
Players
772 posts
11,582 battles

Islands of Ice version 3.... the worst map ever designed.

Cap Blocking islands in all 3 caps (boring gameplay for DDS that have to sit and lock)... Confusing island graphics (everything looks the same specially when you are playing on 8-10 lines and looking towards mid)

Imbalanced sides for competitive games (North spawn cap locks are much more protected than south spawn cap locks)

0 Variety between the caps just different island layout. No real open area on the map, no real posibility for flanking.

Horrible map design overall.

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
Players
3,065 posts
11,010 battles

I must say the new North map has some problems in the middle. The two groups of three islands are too symmetrical. They look like someone has drawn them with a ruler.

They also have a tendency to funnel the ships in a predictable way. Other than that the changes are nice.

The new Islands of Ice map is just bad, the new design supports very passive gameplay.

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,991 posts

Islands of Ice: horrendous. Sorry, there is no other word to describe it.
North: acceptable, and an improvement over what it previously was.

[BAD-B]
Players
650 posts
2,313 battles

Had a chance to play both maps.

North: absolutely horrible with the dividing island group in the middle .... Instantly made my worst map list along with Sleeping Giant ...

Islands of Ice: On first look I hated it, but as the battle unfolded I noticed that it will actually be a challenging and interesting map to play, so good job on that ....

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Quality Poster
1,666 posts
8,510 battles

The current Islands of Ice is hands down my least favourite map at the moment.

It leads to more camping, more splitting up of teams, less support for DDs.

The problem with the map was the islands cutting off A, causing ships at A being unable to support B (but often people insisting on going there anyway, leading to a split up team that got dealt with piecemeal).

This is no solution as all you've done is make the ENTIRE map like that.

Small groups of ships, even single ships, cut off from their support.

But every single game mode is about capping and to cap, you need support, because once you cap, you announce your presence.

Players
445 posts
6,334 battles

Dramatic improvements over what was there before. The choke point dividing one cap from the other two is possibly over used, but they are quite playable as they are. 

[CHAOS]
Players
2,359 posts
10,784 battles
Am 1.10.2018 um 11:43, Spithas sagte:

Islands of Ice version 3.... the worst map ever designed.

Cap Blocking islands in all 3 caps (boring gameplay for DDS that have to sit and lock)... Confusing island graphics (everything looks the same specially when you are playing on 8-10 lines and looking towards mid)

Imbalanced sides for competitive games (North spawn cap locks are much more protected than south spawn cap locks)

0 Variety between the caps just different island layout. No real open area on the map, no real posibility for flanking.

Horrible map design overall.

100% agree.

Also the map is simply too small, barely any space to play ships that rely on long range dodging and stealth-play. As BB, half of your spotting radius covers already 30% of the cap (tested with full stealth build on german BBs) when spawning at the left or right side of the map. This actually just encourages more defensive play as BB, because no one wants to be exposed to various HE spammers from different directions at the right at the beginning of the battle. At the same time its actually harder to support your DDs as cruiser, since there are a lot of cover for DDs that allow them to block caps without getting shot. With the map being so small, there is basically no large risk for those DDs getting flanked. 

The small map size + the cover within the caps encourages the DD to just play as passive cap-blocker. Going around the cover to engage the other DD (for example, if you are a Gearing vs Shima) is just too risky, since half of the enemy team will already be behind them - the spawns are too close. At the same time you can't expect any support, since no one can shoot trough that large cover within the caps. And the few DDs that ignore all this and still try to force the engagement, are often the ones becoming first blood.

Iam playing this game for 3 years and sorry wargaming, but this may be the worst map "improvement" you ever did in World of Warships.

Sign in to follow this