Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

Untitled

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
795 posts
4,327 battles

TL;DR

I lost all motivation upon the third paragraph already. Barely got to my main point even. This is unfinished, but I doubt anyone would care even if I did finish and edited it and organized it etc. which I have not the moral to bother. All I wanted to talk about was how WoWs could benefit from ... I forgot already sorry. Probably something to do with real game design. Felt crucial to WoWs at the time.

World of warships as a game suffers from harsh player reactions, if player experience is negative. More so than other games.

The cause of this is that the player feels they are treated badly, thus the extreme attitudes and reaction. Some things players will always react extremely negatively to are feeling as if their time has been wasted, feeling that they have been disrespected and lied to, unfairness and cheaters, toxicity and direct griefing, and being shown the futility and dark side of life.

This topic is of relevance because, had WG been able to control the initial waves of negative reactions plaguing the early years of the game, the community could have been spared from a lot of terrible and irreversible damage. Furthermore, as I am about to address, the root cause of this issue is actually inseparable from in-game design and mechanics, which had WG knew about, could have designed WoWs to not intrude upon these faults. It is easier said than done, though.

One of the obvious reason WoWs suffers is because of its adherence to WG’s money-making passive-aggressive game design philosophy. I think it is ugly and outdated not to mention slightly inefficient ... but this topic today was not meant to wage war against WG, I do not trust them to be so open to criticism either. Other points will be used.

Another reason why WoWs amplifies negative player reaction is because it provides concise and concrete reason for players to be negative about. It sounds quite obvious, but actually, some games can with design, overcome or lessen this. Two ways this is accomplished by ensuring the overarching narrative of the game

is positive, or that it is impossible to precisely calculate how much negative versus positive there is in the game.

For overarching ensurement, it is crucial that all minor and componified aspects of the game feed back into this grander, flawless, invincible narrative. In the context of WoWs, it means players play it to enjoy sailing a ship, watching the weather, coordinating with team, giving decisions and acting upon their agency into their ship, which can be accomplished by any and all in-game vessels. Not, playing a specific ship in hopes it will grind better, that they can play it better, that they can use it to overcome and grief other players better, etc. trivialised and boxed-in worries. A player will play a FPS series to experience the tactical modern gun fighting narrative, the atmosphere, the feel of shooting a gun, etc. all which can be accomplished with any of the ingame “classes” regardless as long as they have a gun. However you can argue, this is what WoWs does too, everyone gets a ship. So what gives?

Which brings us to the second part. WoWs gsme systems was fundamentally designed to service a business model first, then a gameplay model, latter which is almost nonexistent, while former is the aforementioned passive-aggressive gulag-oppressive toxic-laden hole we all have firsthand experience of. Each and every action in the game can be measured with precise economic returns, just like real life. Each and every ships features, each and every game design mechanic, was meant clearly as modifiers and leverages to this economic core system in plain sight. It is not “hidden” well, nor at all even. When a problem occurs, such as players dislike for ranked, for clan grind, WG’s answer is to introduce more of this numbers systems to enslave players (arsenal). They do not realise is is part of the fundamental problem. With each and every more introduced, players can see and feel more clearly what this system is doing and leveraging against them. It is them versus a system. They cannot win. They can only leave, perhaps in anger.

Deleted a few sections.

other points (not all of them)

Game mode is too recurring, but in a bad and futile way feels like bad dream Groundhog Day. 

Not naval simulator enough, way too shallow.

Sigh mod pls lock this thread. I’d delete it myself as I usuually do but I felt there was something crucially important in here I forgot. I’ll come back to it maybe. Sigh what I would do for a better WoWs.

mod pls lock this thread.

• Boring 4

[WCWVE]
Players
798 posts
12,250 battles
16 hours ago, Flavio1997 said:

wtf did i just read?

I have no idea as there is not subject matter and it is rather disorganised 

Players
176 posts
2,673 battles

O.P. - do you not think you might be micro-analysing and agonizing over what, at the end of the day, is just a computer game ?  Quite clearly, you are an intelligent and articulate soul - surely you can find better ways of spending your time than this. :Smile_Default:

[POI--]
Players
4,195 posts
5,167 battles

You should learn how to structure a text so that it gets a point across. It should be clear at the end what the point was and pretty much all paragraphs should address that point and be in a logical order. With this thread, I get the feeling you just need an outlet for your unstructured thoughts and given few can understand them, you might as well just get a paper bag and scream them into it. The outcome will be the same, but you'd be done faster and get less critical feedback on the boards.

• Cool 1

Players
584 posts
4,700 battles

Every single thread you make is just a wall of rhetoric. They say so much and yet nothing at all. My cats meowing at me are more cohesive and understandable, as I can discern the point of why they're screaming in the first place, usually food. You? not so much.

Players
2,663 posts
6,962 battles

@KarmaQU_EU, I wouldn't post a draft like this as it won't accomplish much.

Some of your points do make sense, and seem kinda obvious (which is not to say that putting them under the spotlight is a bad idea).

There was a video some ex-CC of WoT made not long ago in which he explained (or rather ranted) how frustration was supposedly an actual part of the business model.

Sign in to follow this