Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

The Carrier Main's Death Struggle is in full swing

40 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
1,844 posts
12,801 battles

Dear fellow players,

it can't possibly have escaped your attention: now that the CV's fate is sealed, and the deletion of the RTS component of CV play is a done deal, CV players creep back out of the woodwork for an extended good bye tour, and there is hardly any game any more without carriers.

 

So let's all be good sports about this and convert any and all of our ships to full AA builds and use all tools and tactics available to make their remaining days before the inevitable castration as unpleasant for them as humanly possible, shall we?

 

God, I hate the effing things.

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 10
  • Bad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[K-P-M]
[K-P-M]
Players
494 posts
3,003 battles

Time to drive that good ol' Texas out for some decent AA mayhem again ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,085 posts
6,979 battles

Im always full AA-build (and play according ships). DDs & Torps dont really frighten me.

 

But seriously: no need to rubb it in the faces of the people, that like to play CV. Its harsh enough for them, that they are losing the possibility to play the game the way they like it.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ESPA]
Players
1,217 posts
7,019 battles

Hey, I never abandoned cvs, I keep playing them!
Anyhow, yeah, I also noticed there are more carriers, meaning there it's more chances of a 2 vs 2 battle (altought that also can mean that I end facing Ryujos and Independences more often when playing in my Zuiho)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,844 posts
12,801 battles
Alle 9/18/2018 alle 19:09, ForlornSailor ha scritto:

But seriously: no need to rubb it in the faces of the people, that like to play CV. Its harsh enough for them,

I don't blame them. As stated in other threads, I'm fairly evenly divided and I fully blame Wargaming for the whole mess (while applauding them for the attempt of including this RTS element in the first place, which I think showed courage and innovative spirit.)

 

However, that said, the *edited* rub it into my face each and every time they delete me from the map with their overpowered flying sh|t boxes, so...

 

Layers.

 

 

Edited by NickMustaine
Inappropriate remarks
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,575 posts
3,520 battles
1 minute ago, Sargento_YO said:

Hey, I never abandoned cvs, I keep playing them!
Anyhow, yeah, I also noticed there are more carriers, meaning there it's more chances of a 2 vs 2 battle (altought that also can mean that I end facing Ryujos and Independences more often when playing in my Zuiho)

Might even run into a Saipain, after all +2/-1mm..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
1,956 posts
16,187 battles

Oh man OP you might end up hating them them even more after the rework...

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,994 posts
15,704 battles

Full AA is unnecessary for most AA ships. Just AFT + AA range and DFAA is more than enough.

Unless ofc you're playing a Mino. Then pick BFT as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
5,359 posts
6,761 battles
7 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Unless ofc you're playing a Mino. Then pick BFT as well.

 

Actually i will probably swap BFT for SE if WG decides to give a free cptn respec :fish_book: Maybe when the CV rework is live? who knows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
8,338 posts
10,816 battles

I actually like this.

 

Even though it makes my life harder in basically every ship, it adds more flavour. Also tends to kick the isolated back camping BBs into action if they don't get outright nuked, which is what CVs were originally intended to do, punish isolated ships and I'm not going to shed a single tear now that those ships tend to be Spotter Plane Yamatos behind their spawn.

 

Gotta be careful with my DDs now though ...

 

 

And since I see @El2aZeR in here I'm just going to hijack this real quick:

Attack plane HP or plane speed on Taiho? Just recently unlocked her and though I'm tending towards the plane speed upgrade it can't hurt asking someone who got more experience playing CVs!

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,994 posts
15,704 battles
2 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Attack plane HP or plane speed on Taiho?

 

Attack plane HP. It gives strike craft the equivalent of an entire tier worth of HP, effectively making your TBs and DBs tier 10. Plane speed bonus isn't close to high enough to compensate.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ESPA]
Players
1,217 posts
7,019 battles
21 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Might even run into a Saipain, after all +2/-1mm..

Zuiho only meets Tier 4 to 6 ships. Thats one of the many reasons of why I play her.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
8,338 posts
10,816 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

 

Attack plane HP. It gives strike craft the equivalent of an entire tier worth of HP, effectively making your TBs and DBs tier 10. Plane speed bonus isn't close to high enough to compensate.

My thought behind it is since IJN attack planes don't get handicapped with tiering and are already faster, I could cycle through attack runs faster. Plus with the added speed bonus from the higher tier fighters I should be able to intercept and zone out US fighters much easier.

 

Is it a grey area of personal preference betewen the two or is my line-of-thought proven in gameplay to be inferiour? I mean, Essex tier VIII TBs with the HP upgrade are tanky enough for everything without DFAA (ergo IJN tier IX planes should be similarily survivable) and anything with decent AA and DFAA is going to shoot down the Taiho attack craft anyway, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,994 posts
15,704 battles
1 minute ago, Aotearas said:

Is it a grey area of personal preference betewen the two or is my line-of-thought proven in gameplay to be inferiour?

 

The general consensus among skilled CV players is that the aircraft speed upgrade is inferior. I actually don't know whether it has been thoroughly tested or not, but I tried both and in my personal experience plane HP is better. You want to mitigate losses when attacking something with low AA as even those can burn through your reserves very fast if you fly multiple strikes per game.

Or think about it this way:

A Taiho TB moves at 156kn. +5% plane speed makes them move at ~164kn, 8kn faster. That's not gonna significantly increase your strikes per match (as it is the same base speed of Haku TBs and I don't fly more strikes in Haku than I do in Taiho).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
On 9/18/2018 at 7:04 PM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Dear fellow players,

it can't possibly have escaped your attention: now that the CV's fate is sealed, and the deletion of the RTS component of CV play is a done deal, CV players creep back out of the woodwork for an extended good bye tour, and there is hardly any game any more without carriers.

 

So let's all be good sports about this and convert any and all of our ships to full AA builds and use all tools and tactics available to make their remaining days before the inevitable castration as unpleasant for them as humanly possible, shall we?

 

God, I hate the effing things.

Answering to each of your paragraphs...

1. I'm playing mostly Kitakaze (t9) + some Ranked (mostly in Zao) and carriers seem as rare as ever.

2. You really don't need to encourage people - if CVs really become more common, they will switch to more AA-oriented builds on their own.

3. Yeah, we noticed. On the flip side, though...

EDIT

...either.

 

Edited by Kampa1987
Insults

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,085 posts
6,979 battles
31 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

My thought behind it is since IJN attack planes don't get handicapped with tiering and are already faster, I could cycle through attack runs faster. Plus with the added speed bonus from the higher tier fighters I should be able to intercept and zone out US fighters much easier.

 

Is it a grey area of personal preference betewen the two or is my line-of-thought proven in gameplay to be inferiour? I mean, Essex tier VIII TBs with the HP upgrade are tanky enough for everything without DFAA (ergo IJN tier IX planes should be similarily survivable) and anything with decent AA and DFAA is going to shoot down the Taiho attack craft anyway, right?

 

18 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

 

The general consensus among skilled CV players is that the aircraft speed upgrade is inferior. I actually don't know whether it has been thoroughly tested or not, but I tried both and in my personal experience plane HP is better. You want to mitigate losses when attacking something with low AA as even those can burn through your reserves very fast if you fly multiple strikes per game.

Or think about it this way:

A Taiho TB moves at 156kn. +5% plane speed makes them move at ~164kn, 8kn faster. That's not gonna significantly increase your strikes per match (as it is the same base speed of Haku TBs and I don't fly more strikes in Haku than I do in Taiho).

 

How dare you two hijack such a nice, informative, completly not-biased topic and derail it by discussing your filthy OP-[edited] here? Off to gulag with you!

 

Spoiler

:Smile_trollface:

btw:

53 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Full AA is unnecessary for most AA ships. Just AFT + AA range and DFAA is more than enough.

 

I dont really run BFT on any of my ships either. I still have to make the call for Mino, but I dont see that happen. Only when cpt reskills are announced. There is still time untill the CV-rework goes live tho. While deep inside I hope, it will never happen. Year of the Carrier anyone? I wonder what happened to that anyway. :cap_yes: Through my sources I managed to obtain a picture of the brainstorming. This was in the WG-office hanging around for 24 months. Then they went "eff it!"

 

114151372-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.0f7ad786dc9a88c47617cab20db56bbf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester
950 posts
5,065 battles

Mate, i've been running exclusive AA builds ever since the German Cruisers came out... 

Excluding the Yorck... I hate the Yorck...

image.thumb.png.edc3df842d10b758b4d34d9923a132a5.png

 

NO SHUT UP! NOBODY LIKES YOU! Shooo!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,994 posts
15,704 battles
4 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

There is still time untill the CV-rework goes live tho.

 

Well, according to this

https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/18/why-wargaming-is-disrupting-world-of-warships-with-submarines-and-revamped-aircraft-carriers/

sometime 2019 to be exact. That's still at least 3 1/2 months away at least. Heck, I'd be surprised if they release it in January or even February.

 

12 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

I still have to make the call for Mino, but I dont see that happen.

 

Imo BFT is useful in denying spotting via floatplanes as well. A niche use to be sure, but some use nonetheless especially considering you live and die by your concealment.

Besides, what else are you gonna spec into? IFHE like some special people according to Conway? :Smile_trollface:

Seriously tho, imo Vigilance is the only other skill even worth considering. Or Survivability Expert if you're feeling particularly meme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ESPA]
Players
1,217 posts
7,019 battles

" Wargaming found that not enough players were playing aircraft carriers on the highest tier of combat. "

 

Lets see...

- A hell lot of AA ships on tiers 9 and 10 (which wouldn't be THAT much of a problem IF Defensive aa fire wouldn't exists and ships don't remain hidden in smoke screen when they use their AA like two years ago)

- The very real chance of having several squads of planes strafed by impossible Midway fighters.

- Uselesness of learning how to properly use tier 10 carriers because they are banned from clan wars.

 

And to add insult to injury the introduction of the Worchester (3500 damage per second of AA fire up to 8,2 km!)...

Those reasons maked me totally quit playing with tier 8+ carriers. Hell, I played Lexington until they removed the 2-0-2 setup. Nowadays it's quite underwhelming (even with AP bombs)

 

And they still wonder why people don't play tier X carriers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
5,469 posts
9,939 battles
1 minute ago, Sargento_YO said:

- A hell lot of AA ships on tiers 9 and 10 (which wouldn't be THAT much of a problem IF Defensive aa fire wouldn't exists and ships don't remain hidden in smoke screen when they use their AA)

- The very real chance of having several squads of planes strafed by impossible Midway fighters.

- Uselesness of learning how to properly use tier 10 carriers because they are banned from clan wars.

  • A real chance to run into Blogis.
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,085 posts
6,979 battles
6 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Besides, what else are you gonna spec into? IFHE like some special people according to Conway? :Smile_trollface:

 

Pff. not gonna fall for that one. Everyone knows manual fire control for Secondary Aramament is the way to go in Minotaur! Seriously. I miss killing stuff with secondaries on RN CLs. The absolute best thing was a kill by fire with, if I remember correctly, Fiji, set through my secondaries. That guy went nuts in the chat, accusing me of hacking, explaning everyone, my Fiji cant shoot HE. Meanwhile, I couldnt stop laughing.

 

11 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Seriously tho, imo Vigilance is the only other skill even worth considering. Or Survivability Expert if you're feeling particularly meme.

 

Yea. Maybe I would have survived the one-shot from Yamato two days ago with ~1k, If I´d have SE - somehow, I doubt it. I wonder if Torpedo Acceleration is worth it tho. I often use torps against rushing enemys. :cap_yes: But then I´d waste 1 cpt point.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
5,359 posts
6,761 battles
10 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Or Survivability Expert if you're feeling particularly meme.

 

Since they changed the SE <-> repair party interaction this actually makes sense, as i said in my earlier post i would go for that rather than BFT.

 

2 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

And they still wonder why people don't play tier X carriers?

 

Because sane ppl, who would turn out to be decent CV players, dont want to be assfucked by Saipan sealclubbers?

I sure as hell dont want to. Also removing manual Drop on lowtiers didnt help me to want to progress further ~~, since i was forced to learn manual drop on T6 basicly (19 games Langley with Manual drop + a dozen or so Bogue where i tried different loadouts back when that was a thing). Then came the removal of Manual drop, and i stopped playing. Tried a bit later, after i grinded through bogue in Coop (~~) with the independence, kinda sucked the first couple of games, played a bit more after that, but i feel i played so little with manual drop vs real player i have to relearn constantly. Only time i use Ryujo/Independence is in OPs (tried Ranger in Ultimate Frontier 2 times i think, and the ships just feel that they have totaly insane AA, spot a DD *bingbing* instantly. Drop the BBs? lose half your squad lol..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ESPA]
Players
1,217 posts
7,019 battles
8 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

 (tried Ranger in Ultimate Frontier 2 times i think, and the ships just feel that they have totaly insane AA, spot a DD *bingbing* instantly. Drop the BBs? lose half your squad lol..)

Again the defensive AA consumable makes using a cv in that scenario (as well as others tier 7 scenarios) quite miserable.
In ultimate frontier, the two initial dds uses defensive aa, then the Indianapolis which sails next to the first wave of bbs also uses def aa, funny thing tho, the Atlanta doesn't uses it. The other ships which uses it are the Dallas which sails with the second wave of ships which are targetted by the base´s planes, and the other Dallas which it's next to Ranger.

Edit: I forget about the "Whisky" group of dds which tries to cap the repair base. One or two of them ALSO uses def aa.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,204 posts
3,518 battles

Meanwhile, I finally saw a Graf Zep up close, too bad he half-killed my divmate but I got to hear the sirens.

Yeah I can see why they wanted that. Cool factor 100+. Too bad they farked it up though. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,575 posts
3,520 battles
1 hour ago, Sargento_YO said:

Zuiho only meets Tier 4 to 6 ships. Thats one of the many reasons of why I play her.

 

 

Nvm then. Also, yeesh that cv really did not like me at all. Just got focused so hard by a Hiryu that I shot down 44 of his planes (4 fighters, 19 db's, 21 tb's), in my Lyon (new personal best)

 

I had the last laugh though, he failed to sink me, and I sank him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×