Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Yanisin_

Torpedos and Team damage

38 comments in this topic

[KVAKK]
[KVAKK]
Beta Tester
35 posts
4,626 battles

Hello!

I was just in a game with a pink Udaloi. His torpedoes in a former game was of the slow, long reaching type and some dude ran into them after a minute or so.

Then in the game I saw he clearly warned a Montana that he was about to send torpedoes, and from what I saw did everything he could to avoid hitting the Montana, but of course the Montana turned into them and the Udaloi hit him with one.

I have been in the same situation many times, and I have a feeling that there are two kinds of dd players. Those who have been pink, and those who will be. Now, I do understand the need for a team damage system and all that, but why can't we simply have an option to blow up our torpedoes when we see they will hit a friendly shipmate?

This way it will separate better between those who are deliberately team damaging, and those who are just plain unlucky.

I can't see a good reason for why we can't have a torpedo detonation button. Being pink isn't cool plus it sucks for the whole team loosing a ship due to friendly torpedoes.

- _Yanisin_ -

• Funny 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,389 posts
14,339 battles

Then do not fire them. Not everyone reads the chat anyways. One has to weigh the chances every time before firing torps and if it fails, you get pink'd. That is fair enough as far as I can tell and a penalty is well deserved. AND I say this, as an unfortunately way too frequent offender myself (in a Mogami,, 10km torps, 9,3km concealment, fired from max range = Yupp, ship happens). :Smile_smile:

• Cool 4

Players
924 posts
8,443 battles

You have to treat every other team member as a moron who cannot read.

Don't launch torpedoes near your allies because some clown will ignore instructions and eat one or more... They see a target and their brain switches off failing to notice your position or warnings...

• Cool 2

[KVAKK]
[KVAKK]
Beta Tester
35 posts
4,626 battles

Yes yes I hear you but why can't we just have a button to blow up torps and have an end to this problem?

I am talking more of a way to improve the game, rather than listening to "it's your fault bla bla bla".

Plus it is just as much about those long range torpedoes that hits a friendly after a minute or so.

[FRDF]
Players
182 posts
2,810 battles

Don't launch torps past your allies.. even if they dodge said torps, those torps might force to show broadside to enemy team. So it might be better to eat torps from pink player (reduced damage) than get devastated by enemy BBs.

• Cool 4

[POI--]
Players
3,849 posts
4,994 battles

Don't launch torps where allies might steer into them unless they are some div member you are coordinating with. Even if you do not actually hit them, you are often limiting their movement options, which at worst can get them killed just the same. At that point, if I see such torps incoming, I often don't consider dodging anymore if it just presents my broadside to the enemy, because at least when I die, the ally gets a feedback that they f***ed up. Or they go on the boards and complain...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,109 posts
18,112 battles

problem here is players (the ones who launch lol), not torps.... ur torps, ur responsibility!

also:

classic.jpg

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,623 posts
10,863 battles
7 minutes ago, _Yanisin_ said:

Yes yes I hear you but why can't we just have a button to blow up torps and have an end to this problem?

I am talking more of a way to improve the game, rather than listening to "it's your fault bla bla bla".

Plus it is just as much about those long range torpedoes that hits a friendly after a minute or so.

For the same reason you cannot teleport torpedos onto enemy ships.

The game has some skill requirements. You should not blindly launch torpedos at enemies (6km torps at enemies at 16km...)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
171 posts
2,602 battles

I committed the same faux pas the other week, despite being fully cognizant of the maxim 'your torpedos, your fault'. I was sharing a smokescreen with another cruiser, and I thought I could get a salvo off just around the front of him. Unfortunately, he decided to move ahead at that exact moment and ate two of them. He wasn't best pleased and cast aspersions upon my parentage despite my profuse apologies.

The blame has to lie with someone, and it's unreasonable to expect another player to keep an eye out for your torps, or read chat warnings, while at the same time being in a fight and maybe even turning to avoid enemy torpedos. It's your decision to launch torpedos, and so your responsibility to ensure none of your team are endangered by them. It's a hard and fast rule, and it's the only one that works.

But we've all done it..and blamed the other guy...:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[KVAKK]
[KVAKK]
Beta Tester
35 posts
4,626 battles
Just now, MrWastee said:

problem here is players (the one who launches lol), not torps.... ur torps, ur responsibility!

also:

classic.jpg

Yes I can agree on that but still the torpedoes do unnecessary damage to your team. Also as I said I wasn't talking about me personally but a situation I witnessed. I have been pink only once.

Still, I feel it would be much better if we could have a button to blow up our torps when we see they are in danger of hitting someone.

I mean, randoms are randoms, you never know what they will do, if they read chat or their surroundings so a "blow up"-button would solve a problem in my eyes.

Players
441 posts
6,308 battles

Given the much reduced damage since the last change, the current system is fine. You hit someone and go pink for 2 games. Do it again within the next 50 or so games and it is pink for 5 games. Do it while pink and you ship blows up. 

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,609 posts
5,132 battles

Personally, I don;t understand why some players do not understand the risk of firing torps past or close to an ally when in battle.

The ally may have chat disabled, they may not understand your language, they might not notice the notification, their priorities are not yours. If you are on voice chat and know that the player both hears and understands then yes, the risk is low, any other circumstances, your torps, your responsibility.

• Cool 2

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles
6 minutes ago, _Yanisin_ said:

While it isn't necessarily a bad idea, probably and simply too much is standing against it.

- It isn't really historical at this point. I know, arcade game, but still - this is an argument.

- If you can't select exactly which torp to self-destruct, then would you negate a five-torp spread for a single "friendly" hit? If you do, you might lose a deva. strike, or even the game. If you don't, you might sink an allied ship and lose the game.

- If you can select exactly which torp to self-destruct, then that would still take effort, attention and still would not necessarily be accident-proof. Hell, it might be even worse. But the main problem would be - WG could not be arsed to implement far more simple gameplay elements because "that would be too complicated".

So this would require a fair amount of work to implement, would still not be accident-proof and it would be complicated. ...compared to just not pressing the trigger if you don't have a clear shot.

12 minutes ago, _Yanisin_ said:

I am talking more of a way to improve the game, rather than listening to "it's your fault bla bla bla"

It is true tho'.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,756 posts
10,656 battles
46 minutes ago, _Yanisin_ said:

Then in the game I saw he clearly warned a Montana that he was about to send torpedoes, and from what I saw did everything he could to avoid hitting the Montana

Not launching them like an idiot was more than he could do, then?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[PMI]
Players
2,302 posts
5,457 battles

I made it a point of sailing into torps that have been dropped from 2nd line, try keeping that in mind if you will carelessly drop behind friendlies.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,168 posts
2,391 battles
44 minutes ago, _Yanisin_ said:

Hello!

I was just in a game with a pink Udaloi. His torpedoes in a former game was of the slow, long reaching type and some dude ran into them after a minute or so.

Then in the game I saw he clearly warned a Montana that he was about to send torpedoes, and from what I saw did everything he could to avoid hitting the Montana, but of course the Montana turned into them and the Udaloi hit him with one.

I have been in the same situation many times, and I have a feeling that there are two kinds of dd players. Those who have been pink, and those who will be. Now, I do understand the need for a team damage system and all that, but why can't we simply have an option to blow up our torpedoes when we see they will hit a friendly shipmate?

This way it will separate better between those who are deliberately team damaging, and those who are just plain unlucky.

I can't see a good reason for why we can't have a torpedo detonation button. Being pink isn't cool plus it sucks for the whole team loosing a ship due to friendly torpedoes.

- _Yanisin_ -

His torps, his responsibility, no other team mate should have to be made to avoid them. The Montana could have been angling himself against an enemy, or moving to try and stop an enemy getting into a flanking position on him. Turning to avoid the friendly torps could have exposed his broadside. It's the Udaloi's resposibility to get himself into a position where he can safely fire his torpedoes at the enemy without compromising the rest of his team.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,085 posts
11,626 battles

Been pink  5 times so far.

2 of those were me knowing that I would hit my team mate as well but I would do much more dmg to the enemy team

3 were totally my fault and were a result of me being a dumbass

I am sure I will be pink again.

But yeah overall:

one's torpedoes are one's responsibility

I don't think anything should be changed.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
739 posts
18,304 battles
16 minutes ago, _Yanisin_ said:

If people launch torps carelessly, then they won't care to blow them up anyway, so no need for that feature.

Players
1,583 posts
6,235 battles

"I'm in the firing position known as the sitting position. After the prone position, it is the platform most likely to enable a Marine to effectively kill his target. His target being a human, generally an enemy but sometimes a friend or friendly. We call this friendly fire, or friendly f*cking or getting friendly f*cked." - Anthony 'Swoff' Swofford

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,109 posts
18,112 battles
27 minutes ago, _Yanisin_ said:

Yes I can agree on that but still the torpedoes do unnecessary damage to your team. Also as I said I wasn't talking about me personally but a situation I witnessed. I have been pink only once.

Still, I feel it would be much better if we could have a button to blow up our torps when we see they are in danger of hitting someone.

I mean, randoms are randoms, you never know what they will do, if they read chat or their surroundings so a "blow up"-button would solve a problem in my eyes.

question is in that regard, if unnecessary or not. we do have friendly fire enabled in randoms (and i support that). there's a lot of occasions where i am 2nd line with something carrying torps and have to hold the perfect drop coz someone from my team is in danger to run in line.

sometimes i take the risk and succeed or fail, sometimes i wait or simply let go. important about that is to me, that it adds a layer of skill. if this was not there f.e. dd's could feel encouraged to sit back and just spam torps, as there's no risk for them anymore on allies.

also, we already have a system that protects the victim and punishes the pinkie. sometimes there's people on my team i rather see sink themselves than ruining it furthermore for their team lol :Smile_hiding:...

imho such a button would solve nothing, only thing that can fix stupid is kind of selfawareness of the stupidity itself so to say. or in other words: git gud (not u personally, but in general).

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,389 posts
14,339 battles
7 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Not launching them like an idiot was more than he could do, then?

:Smile_teethhappy:Hhahaa! I was kinda already wondering, how long it would take until someone brought that up. :cap_like:

ace.jpg.2f9025e057d8b6abe2f68f9570fdb200.jpg

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles

Point is I'd like to stress, while it is strictly speaking offtopic...

There is no such thing as "but he could have evaded my torps by simply turning". At this point in my 'career" (stop laughing) I never evade friendly torps. Don't get me wrong, I never turn into them deliberately, because what's the point, but I don't evade them either. Why - it's rather simple.

When I am doing a maneuver, it's usually for a reason (also don't laugh). If I have to evade "friendly" torps, I might show broadside, might get into a part of map that is highly disadvantageous, or just simply would wase a lot of my, and in turn, the team's time. Worst case scenario, the turn would get me killed, and the torp guy would never realize this.

And at this point, I'd rather make a point by taking one or two torps than to get f*cked over all the same but without the game's exact and harsh feedback about it.

So, I get hit, because evading is more often than not almost as bad, but without the penalty for the perpetrator. By this logic, this is why there is no such thing "but the torp guy did everything he could to avoid hitting a friendly", IF he still hits someone. This is the whole "bla-bla" point of "your torps, your responsibility". Because actually hitting with the torps is not required to screw a friendly up, should it force him to evade.

[KVAKK]
[KVAKK]
Beta Tester
35 posts
4,626 battles
6 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

While it isn't necessarily a bad idea, probably and simply too much is standing against it.

- It isn't really historical at this point. I know, arcade game, but still - this is an argument.

- If you can't select exactly which torp to self-destruct, then would you negate a five-torp spread for a single "friendly" hit? If you do, you might lose a deva. strike, or even the game. If you don't, you might sink an allied ship and lose the game.

- If you can select exactly which torp to self-destruct, then that would still take effort, attention and still would not necessarily be accident-proof. Hell, it might be even worse. But the main problem would be - WG could not be arsed to implement far more simple gameplay elements because "that would be too complicated".

So this would require a fair amount of work to implement, would still not be accident-proof and it would be complicated. ...compared to just not pressing the trigger if you don't have a clear shot.

It is true tho'.

Yes I can agree on the historical point, but it is a game with an arcade twist and we could talk all day about what is not historical in the game. Radar seeing through islands for instance ...

Personally I think it would be easy to implement a button to blow up your last salvo of torpedoes. Yes, just blow them all up to avoid the unlucky torpedoes and give the player an option to blow up rather than hurting a team mate.

This way it will be easier to separate from who really wants to hurt team mates, reduce toxicity and anger in chat because someone sends unfortunate torps. We have all seen the yelling in chat after someone gets hit by friendly torps. I am just suggesting an easy way to get a more comfortable environment where we accept that accicedents can happen and to make it so that the whole team won't suffer from it.

Humans are humans after all and do mistakes.

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles
1 minute ago, _Yanisin_ said:

Humans are humans after all and do mistakes.

Sure! I do too, and got pink a few times as well (hell, once a stray shell of mine citadeled a friendly cruser). It happens. Sometimes one calculates the risks and screws up.

But friendly fire, as far as I am concerned, is a legitimate element of team games. In fact, this way everyone could take (if they would take) responsibility without any practical skill. In this sense, the "get out of jail for free card" would, in my subjective opinion, dumb down the game.

And it might even screw over the torp guy, because if you shoot carelessly, blow up your torps, then hello cooldown, compared to just holding your fire.

Sign in to follow this