You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

"Supply Lines" event: feedback

29 comments in this topic

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,986 posts

First and foremost: for it being a first iteration of such an event, it was pretty well thought out and worked as it should have worked. I hope WG will further expand on this event, and make it a semi-recurring thing in the future. Some remarks I have though: 

• Time zone advantage: The issue with the time zones is that the clan who is located more westward is at a clear advantage. They can freewheel a bit and observe what the other clan is doing, and then match their efforts with that of the opponent and do "one more", when the opponent is logging off for the day and can't defend their lead unless they wake up at 4AM in the morning to squeeze in a final few games. For EU vs RU duels it wasn't as much of an issue due to the relative proximity of the populations, but NA clans were at an advantage against EU clans. EU was at an advantage to ASIA. This could be remedied by making the progress "blind" to eachother, so one clan doesn't know how the other clan is doing in terms of stars, or only give "star brackets" to at least obscure the score a bit.
  • External website: good for a first edition, but I'd rather see WG hosting this on their own turf. There were issues with stars disappearing, people getting more than 15 stars, rumours of hacking,... By having it hosted by WG, it is guaranteed to be as neutral as can be.
  • A mere damage-focussed method meant that some players actively abandoned teamplay in order to farm their stars. This is bad design, and needs to be adjusted. Nothing wrong with using damage, but "and win" should give a bonus, in order to entice people to play to their best, instead of farming damage and abandoning the objective of the match.
  • Relatively short windows of interaction. There were only 48hrs during which stars could be farmed, and not everyone can be present during those 2 days. Having that extended to 72 or 96 hours would open the event up to more people.
  • Cool 8

[5D]
Players
473 posts
20,519 battles

The event was just who had more members in their clan. As long as they are at a decent level of competence of course. But it mostly came down to numbers and who could churn out more games. As usual nothing to do with skill at all. 

[PMI]
Players
2,301 posts
5,457 battles

If you were expecting WG to do something sensible...

• Boring 1

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,986 posts
2 minutes ago, Mr_Snoww said:

But it mostly came down to numbers and who could churn out more games. As usual nothing to do with skill at all. 

IIRC, clans were matched together based on performance. So if you have a small clan, or a clan without much activity, you'd be matched against another clan which is in the same boat in terms of participation. It's not that a 5-member clan with T6 ships would be matched against a 50-member Typhoon league clan.

The extention of the battle-window would remedy some of the issues you have. I couldn't participate as much as I'd wanted to to other plans in the weekend. But I could do my stars on a Friday or a Monday.

[NWP]
Players
3,508 posts
5,842 battles
14 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

IIRC, clans were matched together based on performance. So if you have a small clan, or a clan without much activity, you'd be matched against another clan which is in the same boat in terms of participation. It's not that a 5-member clan with T6 ships would be matched against a 50-member Typhoon league clan.

That was only true for stages 2 and 3

Stage one we (4-5 active players) matched vs a Clan who had 22 active members. No way to win that.

Imo it would be better to make it based on maxdamage, then any clan could have a chance vs another. F.e. yesterday i did 200k damage in Hindi for 30k stage. Do that for any tier/Class, you have enough different brackets. Also since damage is valued differently (i.e. stage 5 RN CA was 60k damage and stage 5 fo German CA wa 75k) you could add a modifier to level different nations to each other, like 100k damage in Mino is worth more than 100k in Hindi.

Then Clans could go 1v1 in every tier/class bracket, so that the clan which has highest damage in T10 BB gets a Star and the other doesnt. It also lowers the impact on NA vs EU and EU vs Asia impact, since you just cant squeeze one more in. Only if you are better, but not guaranteed basicly.

Also it emphasizes lowtiers aswell, so even if one clan has less T10s than the other, they can try to win the damage race on lowertiers and be better overall. Currently most clans played T10 only (we didnt :Smile_teethhappy:) because its easiest to get the damage you needed.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,168 posts
2,391 battles

Tin Foil Hat time.

WG want to make Clan Battles a global event. What better way to test a global clan matching algorithm, that setting up a short series of events (3 consecutive weekends), to 'match' clans from different regions against each other and use raw dmg done as a measure of success.

i actually liked the concept of the event. However the communication around it was terrible, and clans spent the first weekend working out what it was they were supposed to do. Clan Admins then spent the next 2 weekends repeating how it works and what needed to be done to their clan members.

[DSW]
Players
3,772 posts
7,712 battles
1 hour ago, Juanx said:

If you were expecting WG to do something sensible...

still better odds than to hope for you posting something useful on the forums... :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[WTFNO]
Players
191 posts
4,665 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Then Clans could go 1v1 in every tier/class bracket, so that the clan which has highest damage in T10 BB gets a Star and the other doesnt.

Yes, this would have been much better.

And definitely make it completely ingame. Using proships.ru probably scared off many people, not even mentioning the not so clear interface, and the bugs.

Despite all that, a good initiative. Hope we will see a more polished version.

[PMI]
Players
2,301 posts
5,457 battles
4 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

still better odds than to hope for you posting something useful on the forums... :Smile_teethhappy:

Why should I?

Watching the dumpsterfire that WoWs has turned into is much better.

But dont worry, you have nothing to fear, you will still be the most useless poster around, I can not take that title off you...

• Funny 1

[BAD-A]
Players
51 posts
8,135 battles

They need to take the website in house, we had members refuse to sign-up through a 3rd party website. The landing page being in Russian did nothing to help the issue.

Also perhaps making the dd target spotting damage instead might help.

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
2,607 posts
16,239 battles

This event was really fine, but next time it will be better if it was focused on basic experience or something like that. Damage hunting is really bad for normal gameplay.
Next time more info about that event and give them on WG site please.

This event show me how our clan can work and that was good prize for me.

Congatulations to FRAC btw :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,045 posts
5,810 battles
3 hours ago, TVLX said:

They need to take the website in house, we had members refuse to sign-up through a 3rd party website.

This was the clinching reason why I didn't lobby my clan to take part...

• Cool 1

Players
1,017 posts
5,443 battles
7 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

The event was just who had more members in their clan. As long as they are at a decent level of competence of course. But it mostly came down to numbers and who could churn out more games. As usual nothing to do with skill at all. 

Well not really. It was more about activity. Since having full clan but 3/4 of people do not participate won't win you those battles.

• Cool 1

[SLAPP]
Beta Tester
283 posts
9,155 battles

I liked the timing of the event, Ranked is usually when everyone stops communicating as they are off playing solo all the time, this gave us a little bit of a teamplay spark during this usually fallow period.

• Cool 1

[HHOTN]
Players
30 posts
17,889 battles

My clan had a great time - most participated event we have had.  Awesome.  Not perfect.  a few guys "lost" stars etc.  Matchmaking seemed well targeted for us.   We played 1 x NA clan and 2 x RU - it was a blast!!

[OCTO]
Players
624 posts
15,077 battles

It was really a nice event. Much better than expected.

Up the prizes, please ;)  Maybe even a small amount of steel. 

• Cool 1

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

Honestly, in my clan we are not from the same regions, hence not playing all at the same time, and it was hard to communicate with players.

So the fact each player had to register individually to track their battle fu**ed the things up for us.

We had a few players playing, but that was in vain, they didn't register, communication from WG was not good, and the external website really complicated even more the thing.

Please in future, find a way that only the clan commander needs to register.

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
6,229 posts
Vor 25 Minuten, bigredg sagte:

I just registered for the clan and we were all in!

after the clan leader registered the clan, all players that were members of the clan at this time were listed. But to earn stars a player had to log into the page and use the "take part" button (or however it was labeled), then the next 15 random battles were counted...

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
2,607 posts
16,239 battles

He wants, as a commander, to activate the attempts of his own clan members. It's called babysitting.
Sorry, but this event was for active clans only and that was a good idea. WoWs is full of clans, but most of them are just a group of people who get clan bonuses and nothing more.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,973 posts
8,553 battles

Hi all,

On 9/17/2018 at 11:07 AM, MrFingers said:

First and foremost: for it being a first iteration of such an event, it was pretty well thought out and worked as it should have worked. I hope WG will further expand on this event, and make it a semi-recurring thing in the future. Some remarks I have though: 

• Time zone advantage: The issue with the time zones is that the clan who is located more westward is at a clear advantage. They can freewheel a bit and observe what the other clan is doing, and then match their efforts with that of the opponent and do "one more", when the opponent is logging off for the day and can't defend their lead unless they wake up at 4AM in the morning to squeeze in a final few games. For EU vs RU duels it wasn't as much of an issue due to the relative proximity of the populations, but NA clans were at an advantage against EU clans. EU was at an advantage to ASIA. This could be remedied by making the progress "blind" to eachother, so one clan doesn't know how the other clan is doing in terms of stars, or only give "star brackets" to at least obscure the score a bit.
  • External website: good for a first edition, but I'd rather see WG hosting this on their own turf. There were issues with stars disappearing, people getting more than 15 stars, rumours of hacking,... By having it hosted by WG, it is guaranteed to be as neutral as can be.
  • A mere damage-focussed method meant that some players actively abandoned teamplay in order to farm their stars. This is bad design, and needs to be adjusted. Nothing wrong with using damage, but "and win" should give a bonus, in order to entice people to play to their best, instead of farming damage and abandoning the objective of the match.
  • Relatively short windows of interaction. There were only 48hrs during which stars could be farmed, and not everyone can be present during those 2 days. Having that extended to 72 or 96 hours would open the event up to more people.

Some info from Reddit:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1