Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Grouchy_Canuck

Advice for a noob

24 comments in this topic

Players
13 posts
313 battles

Ok new to WOWS EU, yes played WOT NA since the beginning, what I'm looking for is some advice which class is the easiest to start and learn on and which country is the most forgiving and why?

G

[T_D_G]
Players
39 posts
4,888 battles

well, cruiser are more versatile, but would say german bbs are the 'easier' since u dont get citadel and ure very tanky because designed for close combat, but in other hand u will get (in high tier) very long rudder turning time and you move like a brick so careful with dds (u still got an hydro for torp but don't get confident :P)

Beta Tester
1,361 posts
5,279 battles
1 hour ago, Grouchy_Canuck said:

Really? I thought battleship would be easier then cruiser.............

Not in the earlier tiers. If you want to get a grasp on the game in general cruisers are more flexible at lower tiers and not as frustrating to play. Thanks to higher speeds and more forgiving gunnery you can focus more on the minimap and general awarness.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,289 posts
11,774 battles

I'd advice you to go for the IJN cruisers. I think they're the best "allrounders" They excel or suck in anything.

For battleships I recommend the German line first as well. Indeed most "forgiving" Though not the most accurate main guns. But if you learn to handle those, shooting with other BB lines will only be easier

And destroyers I'd go for the USN line.

It's important to grind different lines of shiptype. Even if you don't like them: know thy foe. Can't give you CV advice though. They are as popular as artillery in WOT....

• Cool 2

[T_D_G]
Players
39 posts
4,888 battles

For cvs would say US to start, less squad to handle and strong fighters, to learn the basic its easier than IJN who got a lot more squad but more fragile.

[-AP-]
Players
718 posts
2,853 battles

Ijn cruisers are a good place to start, im currently at tier 9 on that line, and so far there hasnt been a single ship that ive not liked. Although, the furry taco at tier 5 is a shocker of an introduction to the higher tiers of cruisers. If you try to play it like the ship before it, the furry taco will taze you, wait for you to get up, and then taze you again.

Beta Tester
1,361 posts
5,279 battles
2 hours ago, blackgun34 said:

For cvs would say US to start,

Or alternatively don't start with CV's at all. The CV rework is coming and since we have no idea when it will drop or how it will look in the end starting to play a class that might drastically change is a bit of a waste IMO. Better to focus on the other lines for now.

Players
1,077 posts
7,332 battles

Japanese cruisers are good, French ones are also good. You get a modern design (turrets and stuff) at Tier III with Friant and the line is very consistent from there until Tier VII, where you get Algerie, one of the best proper Heavy Cruisers in the game.

People don't really recommend battleships as a starter because the lower Tier III ones have awful aim and shell dispersion. If you try and learn aiming mechanics with those things you'll get frustrated because your shells just won't go where you aim. If you must dive in, though, German ones are good solid ships. 

• Cool 1

[T_D_G]
Players
39 posts
4,888 battles
Il y a 20 heures, ollonborre a dit :

Or alternatively don't start with CV's at all. The CV rework is coming and since we have no idea when it will drop or how it will look in the end starting to play a class that might drastically change is a bit of a waste IMO. Better to focus on the other lines for now.

True, i wonder how it will be, i mean, looks like more 'friendly' to campers , you cant delete them in one blow now x)

[W-C]
Players
468 posts
1,998 battles

As others have said... cruisers to start with (Not RN because they are quite tricky to handle are are better once you have more experience in general game mechanics etc)

For a starter BB line, although I don't have much experience on other lines, I would recommend USN. They will teach you the 'correct' playstyle of BB's - whilst KM BB's are 'easy' in that you don't get citadelled, that can lead to learning very bad habits (broadsiding!). RN are also 'bad' because they are basically HE spammers. USN need careful angling, and pre-planning (they are painfully slow) but they reward you well when played right... and you learn pretty fast what is 'right' and 'wrong'! IJN is the other potential good BB starter line - less heavily armoured, but better gun accuracy. Just don't fall into the 'must use max gun range becos muh sniper BB' trap with them :)

GL & HF:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

Players
23 posts
6,427 battles

I recently was a new player as well. And in my opinion if you want good statistic then franch battleships are the most effective for someone who is new, for example tier VII Lyon would be your main aim, 16 shells per shot doing a lot of devastating kills to anyone who shows broadside and it happens very offten on low tier battles.

Battleships starts to be hard once when you start play with a lot of experienced players, they know tricks, good angles and to hide better, all till then franch battleships will be the most effective for someone new because there will be much players new like you who won't know to use flaws of your ship and all what you have to do is punish mistakes and shot 16 shells (with Lyon) in someone and watch. On bigger tier, Richeliu would teach you how to bow tank and protect your broadside and citadel, Alsace will prepare you for tier X battles since this battleship is good like any tier X ship. On end you will get Republique with very fast reload and great damage but bad armor which will prepare you for reaserching some cruiser line. So I would not recommend cruisers for start especially russian ones, since you will be tasty cookie for any battleship while with franch batteship line you will experience the most what game offers. On tough cruiser opponents you will learn how to play that cruiser line same like tough destroyer opponent will show you how to play destroyers line then you can chose what you like the most.

[UNICS]
Players
1,241 posts
15,368 battles
On 9/15/2018 at 6:43 PM, ColonelPete said:
  • Cruiser
  • US 

us cruiser require more skill , but if u can handle them it will make you a better player.

I would suggest for noobie to play with British CL line , which has its own smoke generator

Players
1,277 posts
9,710 battles
Am 15.9.2018 um 18:29, Grouchy_Canuck sagte:

Ok new to WOWS EU, yes played WOT NA since the beginning, what I'm looking for is some advice which class is the easiest to start and learn on and which country is the most forgiving and why?

Honestly, there are some paradigms but in the beginning, they don't matter very much. Also they keep being broken. Also, in the low tiers, ships are cheap, and unlocked easily, so you should just go ahead and try lots of different things in the first few weeks.

But you maybe want to get some gold and stock up on things like port slots because they are heavily discounted currently, as are a lot of other things.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-deals/three-more-years/

Get a feel for the cost using this thread:

Also, I hope you used an invite code from another player when getting started, because that will give you some real nice goodies now as well as later after you played your first Tier VI battle. If you didn't, you should consider getting a code and setting up a new account right now while you are not too invested in the first account yet.

Also, in stark contrast to my first sentence, you might want to focus on grinding out a Tier V ship as quickly as you can right now, so you can complete the 333 combat mission three times, which gets you a million credits, which is a LOT in the low tiers, especially if you have neither a premium account nor a premium ship.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
2,632 battles

My advice? Watch what the rest of your team is doing any chance you get, and take notes.

Just as much on what not to do as what to do, same goes for any mistakes you make yourself.

Players
13 posts
313 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

My advice? Watch what the rest of your team is doing any chance you get, and take notes.

Just as much on what not to do as what to do, same goes for any mistakes you make yourself.

So far watching Captains Academy on YouTube and flamuu on stream picking up pointers

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
2,632 battles
2 minutes ago, Grouchy_Canuck said:

So far watching Captains Academy on YouTube and flamuu on stream picking up pointers

That works too. Plenty of streamers you can take notes off of around, and most of them don't mind you doing it in the slightest.

Beta Tester
946 posts
7,212 battles

Having been a Sempai for my daughter the last months (now 800 battles), here my 2 cents:

Cruiserwise she started best with Japan and France. IJN now is at Myoko, France is at T5 and works out fine, too. 

We started Russian Cruisers, too, but the lowtiers without modern turrets were a real obstacle. After reaching T5 it went well with these lovely russian Stalinium guns through the great Budjonny and now Schors.

There is hardly anything else comparable to these guns with their high velocity and flat arcs. You are able to hit something even at long ranges and that just feels fine ...

Having a modern turret layout from start is a real advantage for a beginner and his learning and understanding of the game mechanics. 

Destroyers ... Japan again.

To put it simply: we found it easier to get used to torpedo mechanics, than to gunboatstyle, which is hard work at lower tiers. I gifted a Gallant to her and it works ... but as a torpedoboat, not with the guns.

We are working on the gunboat-thing, now she luckily got an Anshan via SC.

Battleship is not her interest ... we left it for later, but my personal opinion is, the german BB are the easiest way to start BB. Really ...

Yes, maybe it spoils some on the way up, but imo its the easiest way to be successful and have fun with BB.

CV ... my kohai did surprisingly well with Hosho and Zuiho (better than me ,... ), but struggles hard with the additional mechanics at T6. Came to a full stop at the moment ... waiting for CV rework,

Just my personal point of view ... TE, try as many lines and techtrees as possible to find out for yourself

Good luck

:Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,401 posts
6,083 battles

Others have given pretty good advice already; I would only further add to the suggestion to play as many ships (of as many classes that aren't CVs - imminent re-work makes taking the time to learn this class now arguably a bit pointless) as you can in the early tiers. Low tier ships are cheap and quick to research, so you don't waste much time.

@Nautical_Metaphor makes a very good point about invite codes, and the current offers though e.g. if you know from your NA experience that you like the game, port slots are currently about as cheap as they ever get, and it might be worth bagging a forgiving (and cheap) T5 premium, to knock over the missions mentioned, although you don't have long to do it (if in doubt, don't - there will be other cheapnesses/missions in the future).

• Cool 1

Players
13 posts
313 battles
2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Others have given pretty good advice already; I would only further add to the suggestion to play as many ships (of as many classes that aren't CVs - imminent re-work makes taking the time to learn this class now arguably a bit pointless) as you can in the early tiers. Low tier ships are cheap and quick to research, so you don't waste much time.

@Nautical_Metaphor makes a very good point about invite codes, and the current offers though e.g. if you know from your NA experience that you like the game, port slots are currently about as cheap as they ever get, and it might be worth bagging a forgiving (and cheap) T5 premium, to knock over the missions mentioned, although you don't have long to do it (if in doubt, don't - there will be other cheapnesses/missions in the future).

Ya wish I had a friends code etc but don't know a soul on EU yet, will clan hunt once I get up in tiers, 

and I am very appreciative of all the advice I've gotten so far

Quality Poster
1,676 posts
8,604 battles

Take a look at the topic linked in my signature.

It has tons of advice from experienced players, after the OP that I wrote myself. :Smile_hiding:

[BBMM]
[BBMM]
Beta Tester, Players
128 posts
1,852 battles
On 9/18/2018 at 8:37 PM, Grouchy_Canuck said:

Ya wish I had a friends code etc but don't know a soul on EU yet, will clan hunt once I get up in tiers, 

and I am very appreciative of all the advice I've gotten so far

As others have said I feel the most forgiving lines are the battleships and the German BB line is very citadel friendly and allows you to make the occasional mistake without paying too dearly for it. I've been grinding that line and find it quite a pleasant grind so far.