TerTerro

Montana or Conquerer

14 comments in this topic

[BOATY]
Players
255 posts
2,885 battles

Montana or Conquerer to get?

What is better for clan battles, ranked and for random play?

Which is more fun?

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles

Montana.

Better accuracy (Though Conqueror isn't bad either), better armour (Conq eats a lot of HE damage), better AP pen (Conqueror has RN short fuze, thus is questionable at range vs BBs, Montana has super-heavy shells that retain energy better), better AA, gets a spotter plane (not to be underestimated).

Conqueror only beats Montana in concealment, HE damage and effectiveness of repair party. It excels at annoying BBs, but Montana is overall better and more recommended.

Lastly, Montana gets better reception, Conqueror gets you reported more often.

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
131 posts
5,284 battles

Montana

PROS: Accurate, hits very hard, has great armor, the second best torpedo belt at T10, great AA, great turret armor and turret traverse, can slot +11% accuracy upgrade. Also has spotter/fighter plane.

CONS: Sluggish - has high top speed but very poor rudder traverse speed. It can sometimes be citadelled through the deck by what seems to be impossible to penetrate shots (Extremely rare though). AA tends to get wrecked by big HE hits.

Conqueror:

PROS: Fast and maneuverable, the best HE and monster heal. Enemies tend to offer broadside more often to her as she is notorious for being a HE spammer - AP at such occasions has devastating results. Huge AA damage potential. Great concealment values.

CONS: AP is unreliable, has one less heal charge, AP damage and torpedo hit damage can hardly be healed. AA is easily destroyed and has poor range. Ship and turret armor is weak, torpedo belt is almost non-existent.

For me the choice is a no-brainer. Montana FTW! Megazao is fun and all but Monty can carry games with ease.

• Cool 1

Players
689 posts
19,940 battles
56 minutes ago, TerTerro said:

Montana or Conquerer to get?

What is better for clan battles, ranked and for random play?

Which is more fun?

Montana OR Conqueror? Which one? Seems a draw to me: both ships look absolutely great(!), both ships perform real OK...so which is "the better"?? Think both are same strong, but play in different ways. When being attacked by planes to me it seems Montana is the better and when fighting off cruisers destroyers than ConQ ap + he = doing a very fine job. To me, depends on character of player that's gonna play the ships (= "what suits one's peronal preferences the best", I mean). Watch the vids & guides to get an impression of both.

For me playing ConQ was kind logical consequence: I very much like Nelson (VII)...so...for T10 I play The Big Nelson (= Conq). And for me ship is doing fine. Must say I use EL (expert Loader) and also use AP quite often. Firing long range: zooming-out--->target---> hits are OK (both AP for cruisers and HE for BB's at great distance). Never came to research Montana (X), but I see them (Montana's) perform in Randoms and they do realy ok, good ship.

From what I have seen in many battles played in Random: BOTH ships are realy performing very fine. Up to you to decide which one of them you pick (..choose the one that fits/suits yr play-style the most!). Anyway, whatever you choose you have a 100% chance ending up having a very nice/good tier 10 Battleship, that's for sure.:cap_popcorn:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
36 posts
4,726 battles

Depends on your play style, the Conq allows you to use your concealment to let rip a devestating AP volly on cruisers and BBs you will also get less overspens than the Monty. Then you can kite away and use HE to set multiple fires plus massive alpha. The heal is also really strong when used correctly, allowing you to reprint a ship. The monty is a steady ships with a heavy hitting broadside, I like to try and pick engagements 13.5km - 17km for best results. 

IMHO conq is better for ranked and randoms for the damage farming (cough saving cough a star cough). In clan battles the monty is great for its cruiser spanking potential. 

• Cool 2

Players
69 posts
3,366 battles

Totaly different playstyles like mentioned above...I choose both because I have both :Smile_playing:

Still I rather choose my Yamato then Conq and Monty.

[BGNAV]
Players
131 posts
5,284 battles
5 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Noone cares about that spotter plane, huh?

RN CLs sitting in their smoke do care... :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles
8 minutes ago, almitov said:

RN CLs sitting in their smoke do care... :Smile_playing:

But noone except me listed it as a Pro for Montana, Con for Conqueror.

[BGNAV]
Players
131 posts
5,284 battles
20 hours ago, Riselotte said:

But noone except me listed it as a Pro for Montana, Con for Conqueror.

I did, but I was a few minutes late - you posted the first reply when I had just started writing mine... 

Montana has very high shell arcs for a BB and the spotter plane also can help with proper aim behind islands. It is quite funny deleting a Worcester, Minotaur or DM when they spam from behind cover, thinking that they're safe :Smile_teethhappy: 

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles
30 minutes ago, almitov said:

I did, but I was a few minutes late - you posted the first reply when I had just started writing mine... 

Montana has very high shell arcs for a BB and the spotter plane also can help with proper aim behind islands. It is quite funny deleting a Worcester, Minotaur or DM when they spam from behind cover, thinking that they're safe :Smile_teethhappy: 

Spotter plane is great for a lot of reasons, most importantly:

• Spotting, duh... Starting with the obvious, it gives you improved awareness of surroundings. Don't know whether there is another ship outside the smoke or on the other side of the island and no radar? No hydro to spot torps? Pop spotter, it might help you there.
  • Improved targetting view - Great for shooting over cover or into smokes. Needs getting used to, but by T10, you should know how. Invaluable.
  • Improved Range - On some ships like Yamato not much of a factor (or you should rethink your positioning), but for many ships, this is good too. For something like Perth, it is invaluable, for my Hindenburg it replaces range mod, allowing me to use reload mod, on something like Shchors premium spotter was extremely valuable to get that extra bit of comfort.

All that, the Conqueror lacks (except range). Conqueror isn't bad, but (like Nelson and Hood) it is pretty blind and has a harder time shooting targets in cover.

• Cool 1

Players
689 posts
19,940 battles
On 14-9-2018 at 1:38 PM, Riselotte said:

Conqueror isn't bad, but (like Nelson and Hood) it is pretty blind and has a harder time shooting targets in cover.

Very true what you state there. STILL, yeah, being blind re dd detection, true...STILL I opine..ALL-IN-ALL Conqueror (X) + Nelson (VII) are very excellent ships. Tested ConQ now for some 50 battles...and yeah, worth to get the perma camo ( I did today)...being blind to destroyers, ahh, well, anticipate and USE teammates in front of you..when not...play it on feeling. Fact is, when a dd makes the mistake to show (being detected) you CAN obliterate it with 12 shells, relative easily. (...but good dd capts won't, lol...more complicated) Blind?...ok, yes...but practically in battles the ConQ does extremely well. Be aware of yr teammates positions...as some kind of DD buffer. All in all: for me Conq does great and I have destroyed many Montana's, many...but then again do not forget: also Montana = very excellent ship!!!! So, Montana can blow ya out of the water if ya play it the wrong way (..or just suffer bad luck). ConQ, as from now is my fav T10 Battleship (Republique to join it later?, could very well be);  yeah, dd's can have launches of torps at it...but anticipate..you will have to live with that: ConQ will do great for you. Sideline...same kind of ship...Nelson (VII)...excellent = little ConQ..also blind..had ta learn to play it well, took time= my very best credit-maker...120k damage is not surprising with Nelson...USE YR AP at the right moments!!!..then it makes you the real credits + citadels...swith HE--->AP with expert loader. So, in short: both Nelson (VII) + big Nelson..= Conqueror (X) are part of my group of very fav ships, = personal opinion. Great ships, ConQ + Nelson!

[UNICS]
Players
1,208 posts
15,028 battles

if i see 2 montana's on enemy side and i have an island humping ship , i start to shiver

[GAZ]
Beta Tester
476 posts
6,799 battles

I love my MegaZao as you can see by my stats but over the last few weeks I have totally fallen back in love with my Yamato I forgot how great a ship it is 

Sign in to follow this