Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CircleOfSorrow

Emden like gameplay at higher tiers

31 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
319 battles

Hi, I'm a long time WoT player that has only dabbled with WoWS occasionally, and I haven't gotten very far.  I played the game last night, and really enjoyed it, and it seems to be better for my nerves than WoT.  At this stage, I want some suggestions to keep having fun.  Out of all the ships I have, I am enjoying the Emden the most.  Can players recommend ships in higher tiers that I can grind toward that have primarily the high rate of fire I enjoy, and some consideration to the remarkable arc that allows this vessel to bomb ships behind cover.  All replies appreciated! 

Players
145 posts

Your big problem is Emden is tier 2.  The lower tiers 1 to 3 are nicier toward cruisers. From tier 4 and up the game becomes more BBs orientated.

But if you want to stay in CA/CL lines I would say American CLs. They say tier 10 Worcester is problematic OP. 

But that line in general is rapid fire + radar.

• Cool 2

[DSW]
Players
3,792 posts
7,737 battles
1 minute ago, belalugosisdead said:

American CL Cruiser line!

that, pretty much. And if you ever decide to "become serious" about warships to the point where you want a reasonably high tier premium, the Atlanta's one hell of a rapid fire catapult :cap_rambo:

• Cool 6

[CORNG]
Players
658 posts
12,018 battles
3 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

the Atlanta's one hell of a rapid fire catapult :cap_rambo:

The "Lolanta" is so funny to play. But should played only with some higher Tier experiance. I won mine in christmas parcels. My highest tier Ship was Königsberg, Bayern and Fuso. I was soooo bad in it.... omg

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
617 posts
11,569 battles

Of all the suggestions I would support the US light cruisers since they are the closest to OP's requirements (rapid fire - check; island hugging - check; rainbow arcs - double check) 

Chester is a bit meh, but you get through it quickly. 

St. Louis is so much fun at T3

Phoenix is a beast in the right hands at T4

Omaha can be frustrating at times partly because of power creep and also because you start meeting T7s

Though I haven't played Dallas or Helena yet (finished the grind before the split) they generally continue the playstyle of US CLs, and I actually quite enjoy the Boise 

Cleveland is imo a solid T8 with great concealment, firepower and utility (def. AA, hydro, radar) 

Seattle is well.. questionable and for a lot of people an unpleasant grind, but

Worcester at T10 is worth it :) 

BTW, though Atlanta is a fun little premium, it does require a relatively high skill point captain. You kind of need AFT for the range, but also IFHE. Concealment is also good to have. Sooo that's 18 points, or 14 at the very least.

Boise on the other hand is doable with just 10pt and actually has a heal, that could mitigate some misplays 

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,890 posts
5,016 battles
35 minutes ago, Milckenbom said:

Your big problem is Emden is tier 2.  The lower tiers 1 to 3 are nicier toward cruisers. From tier 4 and up the game becomes more BBs orientated.

Yeah, I'd really recommend going up the lines a bit, because no higher tier cruiser can enjoy the freedom of T2 in how crap BBs are they encounter. Mikasa is pretty underwhelming and few have ever called any T3 BB good. But higher tier BBs are lethal, especially to most of the recommended lines that play around shell spam.

[JRM]
Players
943 posts
13,478 battles

There is no such thing tbh, if you like zooming around starting fires on stuff and it has to be a cruser - you cant really since any high tier bb will delete you outright if you wanta similar playstyle try a ijn or russian gunboat dds

[DAVY]
Players
305 posts
8,233 battles
4 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

few have ever called any T3 BB good.

König Albert and to some extent Nassau are quite decent and also frequently mentioned when it comes to T3.

1 hour ago, CircleOfSorrow said:

Hi, I'm a long time WoT player that has only dabbled with WoWS occasionally, and I haven't gotten very far.  I played the game last night, and really enjoyed it, and it seems to be better for my nerves than WoT. 

Oh boy, are you in for a surprise.

1 hour ago, CircleOfSorrow said:

At this stage, I want some suggestions to keep having fun.  Out of all the ships I have, I am enjoying the Emden the most.  Can players recommend ships in higher tiers that I can grind toward that have primarily the high rate of fire I enjoy, and some consideration to the remarkable arc that allows this vessel to bomb ships behind cover.  All replies appreciated! 

First of all I had a look at your ships, cause when you say you like a ship best, what else you have seems relevant for that comparison. In your case I don't understand why you like Emden best, when you got a St.Louis in port and most players would prefer the St.Louis. It has a higher rate of fire and excellent survivability.

For higher tiers there is no Emden. Technically ships have evolved from the single-mount guns to the multi-gun-turret-design, have become faster and improved in many dimensions. This is the pure difference gamewise. To that you must add the difference in players. Players take their experiences from low tiers and improve their tactics. You e.g write about using shell arcs to bomb ships in cover. It has not dawned on you that this is more of a defensive asset. Nobody can blame you for that. You play T2-3 and it appears fun to shoot targets behind islands. This will radically change to it being you who hides behind those islands and is glad his gun arcs allow him to shoot over his own cover. Instead of them hiding from you it will be you hiding from them. So this part of the fun of enemies being shot at sitting behind islands wondering how the hell rhey take damage right now, will soon be gone and you will need to look for other pleasures.

The rapid firing guns seem an advantage, but your total dpm might not be high. On the other side fast shooting guns are only effective when being fired continuosly, also continuosly giving away your position. And their high arcs also mean long flying time of shells and give good players enough time to evade your shots. You won't hit the way you do at tier 2. As already mentioned by others, the US light cruiser line will closely reflect your description. But they are not well armored. They depend on islans to hide and shoot over. That can be very effective, given you know your trade. That however requires you knowing the maps and identifying the islands that give enough protection to multiple angles while still being flat enough to shoot over them. That takes practice, active observation and, you may already have guessed it, patience and resistence to frustration.

Another way to go is the russian destroyer lines. They are very fast and nimble. They got fast firing guns, however with flat arcs that cannot shoot over most islands. Their playstyle is staying at distance and spamming HE in open water, protecting themselves from hits by constantly maneuvering. A well played russian DD won't need to hide behind islands cause he dodges most shells and takes no damage. They do use islands but rather to sneak up on Battleships for a fast run with their short ranged torpedos.

But quite frankly, these are your current preferences based on a handful of games in some different ships of tier 2-3. Chances are you will find other playstyles more attractive as they reveal in your grind up the lines. Few lines show their high tier playstyle in low tiers. So I would advise trying out as many lines as possible and then, after a few hundred or even more games to pick a line that suits you. Don't focus a line too early. You won't know the alternatives and maybe make a bad call. And you will be inexperienced in comparison to your opponents, frustrating your own team and being frustrated yourself by constantly being killed without having fun.

• Bad 1

Players
425 posts
8,791 battles
2 hours ago, CircleOfSorrow said:

Hi, I'm a long time WoT player that has only dabbled with WoWS occasionally, and I haven't gotten very far.  I played the game last night, and really enjoyed it, and it seems to be better for my nerves than WoT.  

Hi Captain :Smile_honoring: first off welcome to the Forum and secondly that's the route I came into WoWS too.  Got fed up of the frenetic gameplay of WoT and this game certainly doesn't take so much of a toll on my nerves as that did, although it can get a bit trying at times :Smile_teethhappy:

As others have pointed out, try as many lines as you can until you find your niche.  Personally I like fast, hard hitting cruiser play, battleships on the whole are slow and unmanoeuvrable .  But horses for courses as they say.  Main thing is to have fun :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 2

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

You really want to buy an Atlanta.

Although she is not universally useful, mind. But in the situations where she is, she's a blast unlike any other.

Also she needs at least a 10-pt captain (CE), better 14 (IFHE), ideally 18 or 19 (AFT) and the problem with that is that the perfect Atlanta captain will not be ideal for any other ship.

So better wait a few more weeks, like until you have reached her Tier (VII) in the regular tech tree and acquired some skill. Which is generally a good rule of thumb for premium ship acquisition.

Regarding your fun down the line, the thing is, it takes a good, long while to build up really good commanders. That is one of the main reasons why it will pay, in the long run, to maybe narrow down the focus a bit initially.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Commander_Skill_Points

It may be a bit early to point that out to you but hear me out.

As you can see, you need 1,708,000 XP to get to 19 points, at which point any extra XP the maxed-out commander gains can be used to level up any other captain ("Elite Comander XP"). The more skill points, the more fun. That said, most ships already become a lot more fun at 10 points.

Assuming you play to three containers per day (37,000 XP), and are able to focus all that XP on one commander, that's still slightly over 46 days.

There are goodies to boost that and shorten the time but unlike in WoT, there is currently no way to divert "frozen" Elite ship XP into commander skill points free of charge. You can buy gold and convert Elite ship XP to free XP, but it is not cheap.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GdW79l1hAu7cDeP6R-zKDkR6F6M2Jjv0YJLdUULC-hE/edit#gid=1509908400

So here's a few tips to remain in control:

- At times, the conversion rate of 25 XP for one doubloon is discounted to 35 XP per doubloon. Pay attention to the news and use these times to stock up if you are prepared to spend some cash. There are also occasional discounts on Port Slots and other items.

- Grind out a Tier V ship fairly soon because that will allow you to benefit from most daily Challenges and Combat Missions (Port screen panel on the left.) Also many later missions in the Science of Victory campaign are for those tiers only. They yield goodies, some of which like certain signal flags and camos will accelerate Commander training, among other things.

- Grind out one Tier VI and VII ship fairly soon thereafter, ideally not DDs, so you can do most PvE Operations. These also yield goodies the first time you complete them while attaining a set number of secondary goals ("stars"). http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Scenarios

- Grind out at least one Tier VIII allied cruiser. This will let you do Operation Cherry Blossom, compete at least in the first half of Ranked Battles (assuming the mode remains the same for now) and get rental Tier X ships for Clan Battles. All of these yield more goodies.

- Find a clan that lets you play at least one Clan Battle session. Doing so at least once per season will give you access to two weeks of free commander skill point redistribution, which can save a lot of gold and be a lot of fun.

Once you have completed these milestones, maybe focusing on just two or three tech tree lines, then you can branch out and explore more without missing out.

Also, if you are prepared to shell out some money now, you have one more week to buy Anniversary containers, which if you buy 30 at a time will get you nine Commanders with 10 skill points at 8,20 Euros a pop in the Anniversary section of the Arsenal.

Use the Wiki to read up on more details.

• Cool 1

Players
921 posts
7,192 battles

My suggestion would be Krasny Krym. 15 gun HE spamming nightmare, only £11 in the premium shop, and great fun to play once you've trained a captain and got your head around her weapons and consumables. 

Otherwise it's US light cruisers all the way. 

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
1,341 posts
5,207 battles
3 hours ago, Yedwy said:

There is no such thing tbh, if you like zooming around starting fires on stuff and it has to be a cruser - you cant really since any high tier bb will delete you outright if you wanta similar playstyle try a ijn or russian gunboat dds

Zao, Hindenburg, rudder Mogami build, Chapayev, Charles Martel to name a few can still zip around starting fires and causing damage with good results.

Players
900 posts
4,141 battles

Hi Circle, good to see another Dinger! :Smile_honoring:

US light cruisers would appear to be the best fit for island-hopping spam cannons, RN cruisers have similar gun arcs but can't fire HE plus they don't have any armour. The US ships aren't dreadnoughts but can at least bounce a few incoming shells if you angle correctly. RN cruisers have an advantage in their mobility and a heal to compensate but they can be difficult to play well.

Operations are well worth doing and a few of them reward you with a 10-point commander. You can only do whichever is the current operation if you're playing solo but they rotate regularly so it's not as though you'd be waiting forever for one to come around. If you're playing in an operation division of 7 ships you can choose the operation you want to play, handy when you're in a clan.

I would strongly advise against buying an Atlanta until you have a decent commander, preferably with at least 14 points. It has destroyer guns (127mm) with only 11km range as stock. With an unskilled commander you have to put yourself into forward positions and you'll be focused by enemy ships as you have no armour and radar, meaning you're a valuable target. I really like the Marblehead but I believe I'm in a minority for that one, it doesn't have the best reputation.

Unlike WoT, you can put a commander from any line into a premium ship of the same nation, so you can train your destroyer captain in a battleship if you wish. At higher tiers that can be a liability because the right captain skills are very useful but it's not such a handicap at lower tiers as many players will only have 3-6 point captains anyway.

Match-making is +/-1 up to tier 4. That's great when you're starting out but it means that when you reach tier 5, you'll suddenly be seeing +2 tiers. Tier 5 is commonly said to have the worst match-making in the game as a consequence, though there's no 3-5-7 nonsense so you can be the only tier 8 in a tier 10 battle too. At least with the way AP penetration works and HE/fires/torpedoes you can still do measurable damage to any other ship regardless of tier, there's no premium ammo to worry about.

Good luck & have fun, all that jazz. :cap_tea:

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
Players
305 posts
8,233 battles
44 minutes ago, Strappster said:

I would strongly advise against buying an Atlanta until you have a decent commander, preferably with at least 14 points. It has destroyer guns (127mm) with only 11km range as stock. With an unskilled commander you have to put yourself into forward positions and you'll be focused by enemy ships as you have no armour and radar, meaning you're a valuable target. I really like the Marblehead but I believe I'm in a minority for that one, it doesn't have the best reputation.

Well, the Marblehead is as sister-ship to the Murmansk, which is arguably the better twin. Both ships are based on the Omaha, which does not cost any real money.

@CircleOfSorrow

So you can try it out and see if you like it before investing any real money.

I would rather advise against putting down real money. If you think you can buy your way to a good ship and decent game experience, that is wrong. Many new players immediately jumping on the Tirpitz and T8- gameplay can testify to that. So most of all I would disadvise buying a mid- or high-tierpremium ship right now. You need experience and you need practice or you won't have fun. These ships cost some 20-50 Euros depending on what you are going for. That is quite an investment for a game.

Might I dare offer an alternative? If you really like WoWs and think you will play it a lot now, take that money and buy a premium account, maybe for a month for 10€. Play the game. With premium time you can grind your way much faster through the different ship lines and see what fits you. Good players with time can do up to 40 games a day. You should be able to get up to 1.5M XP. You will be able to do some missions and campaigns faster, which again give good commanders for certain ships. You will also be getting those ingame containers faster and earn some coal, which again you can reinvest into ships. Don't hurry to make a choice. Don't limit yourself by picking some ship and having to stay with it. Some ship may seem like you like them but then you find out, they don't work under the current meta. An be careful with people recommending certain ships. Maybe they can get a decent winrate cause they blend in with the ship. That does not mean you will be a natural, too. Find your way, take your time.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,654 posts
9,494 battles
6 hours ago, CircleOfSorrow said:

and some consideration to the remarkable arc that allows this vessel to bomb ships behind cover. 

"Remarkable" indeed - I could make quite a few remarks on those arcs:Smile_sceptic: ..... thus ....... US DD with AFT and T9/10 range mod? :Smile_hiding::Smile_trollface: You should be able to get over most islands with that combo. :Smile_trollface:

(Honestly just go for US CL and Atlanta as the others suggested, tough Royal Cruiser cruiser shells are also floaty and Minotaur is known as the "Iron-Umbrella" everywhere ....... just thats its not HE if that what you want).

Players
59 posts
2,334 battles

The trollanta practically prints money. The rate of fire this ship can put out is ridiculously and you can make a ton of XP with it.

It deletes destroyers with ease, maul cruisers while barely breaking a sweat and burns battleships to the ground with a laugh. If there is a carrier in game you really don't have to worry as the lolanta swats airplanes out of the sky like it was going out of style.

Keep in mind that while the Atlanta is fun to play, it can't tank, can be citadelled (like most US CLs) from any angle and the range of the guns isn't great. Islands are your friend while driving the trollboat.

Players
382 posts
3 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

If you really like WoWs and think you will play it a lot now, take that money and buy a premium account, maybe for a month for 10€.

And remember that Premium Time is common to all three Wargaming titles, so even if you decide that World of Warships is not for you after all you can use that Premium Time in World of Tanks.

• Cool 1

Players
593 posts

I think you'll like the Phoenix and the Omaha. 

You might want to Division with me if you see me online -  especially if you have a headset and Discord.

I can talk you through the basics of playing these ships. Which hull to pick on the Omaha. Captain skills. Game and mini-map options. Where to go at the start of each map. Ammo choice. Target choice. When to charge down enemies and when to kite away. When to camp behind islands and farm damage.

Shooting so you hit is something that takes time and practise to get OK at.

You may well find tier 8 to 10 gameplay a bit too serious and campy, compared to the pew pew gameplay in the Emden.

[DAVY]
Players
305 posts
8,233 battles
10 minutes ago, Johmie said:

And remember that Premium Time is common to all three Wargaming titles, so even if you decide that World of Warships is not for you after all you can use that Premium Time in World of Tanks.

Oh, yes, good point. Forgot to mention that. Thx for pointing it out. Especially for a veteran WoT-player the opportunity to use the premium time, is a bonus.

Players
97 posts
5,912 battles

Russian DDs mate. Best fun ever. Also at the higher tiers you can ignore the main bane of DDs: Radar. 

Who cares if it spots you? You're out in open water zooming around at 40kts shooting at anything in range and already detected anyway. If you're not being targets by at least 3 people you're not doing your job (Note: this is three people at long range, 3 at close range and you're dead). 

The other advantage is, that because most of the time you play as a harasser on the flank, if your team potatoes or the flank your on folds like a broken deckchair you can just run away and HE spam the ships chasing you. (It's also work investing some coal into the special upgrade that makes your Speed Boost last 50% longer). 

Players
17 posts
319 battles

Can somebody please tell me what skills I should be giving my Admirals?  I am guessing that just like WoT, respeccing is expensive.

I'm going to grind the US cruiser line for the island hopping pew pew action, the Russian Destroyers for WASD pew pew action, and the British BBs because the HE shells are supposedly very good.  I have questions;

Is there a good guide for Admiral skills I can read somewhere?

The Russian Destroyer line splits after Minsk.  Which line is better?

Is the skill that increases HE pen by 30% powerful?

Thank you to all that have responded so far!

Oh oh, and if I was to get a premium ship to support each of these nation grinds, which ones are best?  I only want to get one for each of those three nations as they go on sale.

[POI--]
Players
3,890 posts
5,016 battles
22 hours ago, havaduck said:

"Remarkable" indeed - I could make quite a few remarks on those arcs:Smile_sceptic: ..... thus ....... US DD with AFT and T9/10 range mod? :Smile_hiding::Smile_trollface: You should be able to get over most islands with that combo. :Smile_trollface:

(Honestly just go for US CL and Atlanta as the others suggested, tough Royal Cruiser cruiser shells are also floaty and Minotaur is known as the "Iron-Umbrella" everywhere ....... just thats its not HE if that what you want).

I guess you could likely fire over the mountains on Two Brothers with that.

Also, for small caliber AP spam, RN DD endgame shapes up to be this. 

Sign in to follow this