Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

How to angle musashi/yama vs other yama?

15 comments in this topic

[-AP-]
Players
583 posts
2,674 battles

So quick question: I know i cant go nose in, cause then he will overmatch my armor and frontal cit me, nor can i angle too much, or he will citadel my cheeks. So what is the optimal way to angle a yama vs another yama? If someone could draw a quick pic or just straight up tell me an angle in degrees or something, that would be awesome, cause im currently struggling with doing this consistently well.

Cheers

[POI--]
Players
3,831 posts
4,983 battles

Typically, somewhat nose in still. Yes, you get overmatched. But you typically don't get bow-citadelled (octagonal hull shape reduces the flat frontal surface of the citadel). You cannot bait on the belt, else you get citadelled through the cheek. Pretty much a case of suck it up that you eat a potential 10k per salvo and hope the bow gets saturated soon. Same as what are you going to do vs Conqueror?

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
583 posts
2,674 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

Typically, somewhat nose in still. Yes, you get overmatched. But you typically don't get bow-citadelled (octagonal hull shape reduces the flat frontal surface of the citadel). You cannot bait on the belt, else you get citadelled through the cheek. Pretty much a case of suck it up that you eat a potential 10k per salvo and hope the bow gets saturated soon. Same as what are you going to do vs Conqueror?

Well, vs conq, theres only really two choices, go nose in to give him a smaller target, or try to get all three turrets firing and hope he doesnt load ap.

Anyhow, i guess ill try out a few training battles vs yamas and try to figure out if nose in or a slight angle is best from there.

Cheers

[POI--]
Players
3,831 posts
4,983 battles
Just now, thiextar said:

Well, vs conq, theres only really two choices, go nose in to give him a smaller target, or try to get all three turrets firing and hope he doesnt load ap.

Anyhow, i guess ill try out a few training battles vs yamas and try to figure out if nose in or a slight angle is best from there.

Cheers

Yeah, so you eat your 10k per salvo and think about ways to get a decent trade or you reflect on why you ended up in this crappy situation.

• Funny 1

[QUCA]
Weekend Tester
934 posts
4,157 battles
3 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Cheers

You also can get some range. You will reliably hit from 18-20 km, he won't.

[-AP-]
Players
583 posts
2,674 battles
2 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Yeah, so you eat your 10k per salvo and think about ways to get a decent trade or you reflect on why you ended up in this crappy situation.

Yeah, of course i dont wanna end up like that in the first place, but sometimes you just end up in fights against yamatos, and when that happends, i need to know how to win it. 

And vs a conq, pretty much whatever he does, ill do more damage to him than he will do to me in a yama/musashi

Players
2,339 posts
6,624 battles
10 minutes ago, Lord_WC said:

You also can get some range. You will reliably hit from 18-20 km, he won't.

Personally I think this is best. I try to stay at roughly 15km (conceilment value is 13.5 so minimum of 15km) and try to use all my guns.

And, as been mentioned by others, if I need to brawl (which happens pretty often actually), I just need to "suck it up" :cap_viking:

[POI--]
Players
3,831 posts
4,983 battles
30 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Yeah, of course i dont wanna end up like that in the first place, but sometimes you just end up in fights against yamatos, and when that happends, i need to know how to win it. 

And vs a conq, pretty much whatever he does, ill do more damage to him than he will do to me in a yama/musashi

Yeah, but usually, if two bowcamping Yamatos face each other, either one of them survives on heavy damage based on RNG, one survives because it started on higher hp or the one who messes up first/harder loses. As it should be.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,391 posts
8,707 battles

Note: Since I didn't find anything regarding ballistics in WoWS (i.e. shell trajectory), the usefulness of this is limited, but it can still help I guess ;)

Angles measured with Inkscape's measurement tool...can't do the math right now, but I'd say: When in doubt go bow-in and pray for RNG ('A' is the smallest available surface in this calculation).

Calc I use: https://panzerworld.com/relative-armor-calculator?

Yamato pen curve over distance

zhe1kS9.png

source: 

• 0-30 degrees -> auto ricochet
  • 30-45 degrees -> chance to ricochet
  • 45-90 degrees -> ricochet doesn't occur

source: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

(A)

(nvm that error @ 47° angle, will not re-draw ^^)

wffwfw.jpg

Upper A = 608mm (penned below ~16km), chance to bounce - the shell will arc into the plating from above, tho -> Most effective at very short ranges.

Lower A = 377mm (auto pen) -> could be effective at long ranges, against steep plunging fire (dunno if the game really does that).

edwe.png

(B)

g4eee155.png

Upper upper B: Auto ricochet at close distances.

Lower upper B: Angle steepens to the outside, will use 48° (worst case): 626mm, penned below 15km

Lower B: 503mm, penned below 24km

Conclusion: In reality all of these values are way worse because of shell trajectory. There can be freak bounces at very close (upper citadel) and very long ranges (lower citadel).

If someone can link me a source regarding shell trajectory calculation, I could come up with a definite guide...

Players
1,334 posts
5,325 battles

Someone like Flamu, Aeroon or Flambass has done a video on Yamato vs Yamato regarding bow on tanking and getting the exact angle correct but I can't find it now.

Players
79 posts
6 hours ago, thiextar said:

So quick question: I know i cant go nose in, cause then he will overmatch my armor and frontal cit me, nor can i angle too much, or he will citadel my cheeks. So what is the optimal way to angle a yama vs another yama? If someone could draw a quick pic or just straight up tell me an angle in degrees or something, that would be awesome, cause im currently struggling with doing this consistently well.

Cheers

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,117 posts
2,224 battles
On 9/10/2018 at 5:32 PM, aboomination said:

Updated my post, does anyone have a source regarding shell trajectory calculation in WoWS?

71b3449d6bdeba843615dbd8954c694d.png

@MrConway

Not on hand, sorry.

Sign in to follow this