Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
invicta2012

To Tier X or not to Tier X

10 comments in this topic

Players
1,672 posts
8,658 battles

(inspired by the "What Silver Ships have you kept" thread)

I was looking in my port this evening at the various ships I've got and reflecting on the fact that I've stopped levelling ship lines.

Having played lots of games and gone from awful to hopelessly average I'm convinced that I could - with sufficient effort - go on to be thoroughly mediocre at Tier X, but some lines just don't seem worth the candle. I'm told that WG's business model depends on us wanting to go to Tier X where we'll spend lots of £££ on doubloons for Camos and the like, so I guess it's not a good thing if long-term players aren't doing that, and maybe it might be helpful if we told them why?

So. Here's the lines I think I probably will level up to Tier X: 

Battleships - IJN, USA, KM (Germany), MN (France)

Cruisers - USA and KM CA

Destroyers - RN

(I'd also be in to French Destroyers, whenever they turn up. The idea of getting my paws on Mogador is too much fun to ignore). 

I like these lines because they mostly consist of actual ships (or are made-up ones which look cool, in the case of the French) and the lines generally don't seem to end in 1D game play where you have to do one thing well to profit. 

Of the other lines I wouldn't level up, it's because....

Russian BBs (forthcoming) - wholly made up

RN BBs - annoying HE spammers, made up after KGV

Japanese Cruisers - everyone seems to hate Mogami and Ibuki and life is just too short to play 500 games in awful ships

USA CLs - they hide behind islands and annoy everyone with radar

Russian CLs - they're made out of old tincans

RN CLs - I get the feeling you have to be really good to play these with any kind of success after Fiji

French CLs - duller than a week old baguette after Algerie

Japanese DDs - great fun but their torpedoes announce themselves on launching and you have to book them a spot in your diary to be hit by one

Russian DDs - I have an Ognevoi but it appears to be Fubuki two Tiers up. What's that about? The other ones are too fast and have torpedoes where you have to be 3ft from the enemy to hit them

American DDs - dull, dull dull. Gearing Fletcher Benson is a firm of solicitors in Carlisle, so I hear.

German DDs - so dull they didn't even give them names.

Pan-Asian DDs - hide in smoke, dakka, repeat, die of boredom.

So: Are there any lines I've unfairly written off? And even if you're having too much fun at Tier VII for all that high level faff, what are the lines that you think you might finally grind to the end?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
139 posts
6,309 battles

Mogami isnt a bad ship, same as Ibuki but they requiere just like USN CL a certain Playstyle that some poeple dont like or r unable to adapt to.

RN BBs....i have all BBs in the game besides KGM at t10 and honestly, RN doesnt feel that different from a Yamato for example, they all have one thing they r really good at (HE, LOL Pen, Overmatches everything).

Russian Cruisers.....well besides T9 pretty ok, T10 has great armor and plays compl different than the rest of the line.

USN CL.....ok yes they r island huggers and is u dont like that u might want to stay away from them.

and IJN DDs.....try Akizuki/Harugumo or just watch it, its a lot of fun....shimakaze is.....manageable if u know how, but i agree she isnt as fun anymore as she used to be.

German DDs.....well they r DDs with great hydro....i dont have them but i have a Loyang....and i like  that ship.

maybe u just watch some videos or streams with these ships and decide then if u want to grind them or not.

lg maggie

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,299 posts
8,401 battles
12 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I'm told that WG's business model depends on us wanting to go to Tier X where we'll spend lots of £££ on doubloons for Camos and the like, so I guess it's not a good thing if long-term players aren't doing that, and maybe it might be helpful if we told them why?

I have never bought camos for doubloons. More than half of my premium ships is form SC(I'ma lucky boi) or are reward ships like Arkansas Beta. I only ever spent money on premium acc while I was grinding new lines and I did bought Saipan for an example but it was worth the money:Smile_glasses: You can play any tier without spending any real money on this game If you wish to. All you ever going to need to play high tiers is credits so at the point where you manage to get enough free xp for tier 9 premium like Missouri or Yusushi you are good(at least to the point where you get bored of either farming the credits or playing the game at all).

[-AP-]
Players
1,635 posts
3,743 battles

mogami is great fun with 155mm ifhe, ive actually liked all the jap cruisers up to the mogami, cant speak for the ibuki yet, but id there is only 1 stinker in the line, thats fine by me

[TTT]
Players
4,323 posts
7,937 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Russian BBs (forthcoming) - wholly made up

RN BBs - annoying HE spammers, made up after KGV

Japanese Cruisers - everyone seems to hate Mogami and Ibuki and life is just too short to play 500 games in awful ships

USA CLs - they hide behind islands and annoy everyone with radar

Russian CLs - they're made out of old tincans

RN CLs - I get the feeling you have to be really good to play these with any kind of success after Fiji

French CLs - duller than a week old baguette after Algerie

Japanese DDs - great fun but their torpedoes announce themselves on launching and you have to book them a spot in your diary to be hit by one

Russian DDs - I have an Ognevoi but it appears to be Fubuki two Tiers up. What's that about? The other ones are too fast and have torpedoes where you have to be 3ft from the enemy to hit them

American DDs - dull, dull dull. Gearing Fletcher Benson is a firm of solicitors in Carlisle, so I hear.

So: Are there any lines I've unfairly written off? And even if you're having too much fun at Tier VII for all that high level faff, what are the lines that you think you might finally grind to the end?

uh... yes... most of those?

Lion isnt made up - iirc she was actually laid down but cancelled. And Conqueror is at least relatively closely based on existing designs too. Plus, it's only a boring HE spammer if you decide to play it that way - i.e. are too lazy to make use of its concealment.

Mogami with the 155s is excellent, if a bit squishy, and Zao is soooooo worth any pain Ibuki might give you. Murderously good assassin of a ship. Again, only a boring HE spammer if you choose to be.

US CLs: matter of taste I suppose... but life in them is often rather short and exciting, not boring

Moskva, made out of a tincan? Staliniumcan is where it's at! Not everyone's taste, but hella strong if played right, especially after the buffs.

RN CLs: well, yes, but they do reward you...

French CAs: After Algerie is actually where that line stops being boring, now that you get the reload booster to play around with... and Henri IV is a crazy fun ship with its AP and sheer speed.

IJN DDs: the torpedo line is a bit meh these days, but oh boy Akizuki &co can be hilariously fun!

RU DDs: Two vastly different lines here... Ognevoi is indeed a bit meh, but oh boy the rest are good. Try the Kiev at least, embrace the spoodbeest and dakkadakka away - that should tell you all you need to know about the rest. Torps are totally overrated.

American DDs: Fletcher is probably the single best DD tier for tier in the entire game overall (after idiotic premiums like Kamikaze and T61 maybe)

German DDs: Deadly AP, quick loading torps, hydro as an additional tool - about as far away from "dull" DDs as you can get... and the Z52 turns that up to 11 with its 6km Hydro.

PA DDs: uh... if you want to do that, have fun being totally ineffective... amazing allrounders (except the T8, that one is a bit meh), and Yue Yang is arguably the best torpedoboat at T10

Players
2,804 posts
14,922 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Just my opinion with regards to the Pan-Asian DDs Shenyang and Fushun, if all you are doing is sitting in smoke and spamming HE, then you are underplaying these ships.  The extra smoke allows risk taking to gain positions to use the deepwater torpedoes, which are the weapons system that can swing games your way.  These DDs are best used as mobile, scouting, screening, strikers... not static spammers.

Just my opinion.

Players
126 posts
6,714 battles

RU DDs are glorious fun. Seriously, ignore the Ogenvoi as it's utter pants, but the gunboat line is pure joy. 

Powering around the map at high speed (now the spood beast upgrade is available for coal, a 3 min duration is well within everyone's reach) constantly shooting anything within range and citadeling crusiers with AP? Hilarious.

Also with the Heal builds on the Tashkent and Khaba you don't care about the radar meta. You're constantly spotted anyway who cares about how? You don't spot from stealth, you open fire go as fast as you can and let the enemy reveal their positions by firing at you as you evasion tank. (Although German BBs become more of a problem as their dispersion is more likely to hit you by accident as you go evasive).

Also it's so much more enjoyable when you get those 4km torp kills from the occasional ambush from cover. 

Players
1,120 posts
9,202 battles
3 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

I do not know what you are smoking but what the actual -peep- am I reading?

boi.png.6dd7dab888ec6d157ea1e7177d8fb652.png

These DDs require the most amount of situational awareness, feel for the flow of the battle and 'on-your-toes'-mentality of the game. So to call them dull..... Can't wrap my head around it.

Players
993 posts
22,630 battles

???? ....OP, either a novice troll or an experienced  chronic benchwarmer?! OP, may i suggest, maybe this could help "jumpstart-things-up-again(?):

image.jpeg.9229ece59b37b918fb98f145ce8bb599.jpeg

...dunno?...could do the job!.... same goes for "fresh batteries"?!...just trying to be helpful, doing a bit brainstorming here.....

Players
1,672 posts
8,658 battles
10 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I do not know what you are smoking but what the actual -peep- am I reading?

I was offering a light-hearted opinion about certain ship lines and hoping people would inspire me to pick some of these lines up again.

From the opinions so far (thanks!) I think the Japanese cruisers sound worthwhile - although I thought Mogami was a heavy cruiser? The lines where everyone says "The Tier X one makes up for it..." probably not. I'm not that patient. 

13 hours ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

Just my opinion with regards to the Pan-Asian DDs Shenyang and Fushun

You might be right. It's a funny old line, isn't it? The first few are great fun but then at Tiers V and VI you go from German style sneaky torpboats (which I liked) into Russian ones. I hated Russian DDs the first time around and Jianwei and Fushun were a repeat performance. Gadjah Mada sounds fun but it is a Royal Navy design, so now RN DDs are incoming, is there any reason to play the fake line? 

Sign in to follow this