Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nautical_Metaphor

Full pen - but no damage?

8 comments in this topic

Question

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

Hi,

there have been a few times now when I got the full, orange-filled penetration ribbon for a main gun hit but was not awarded any damage points. Now I used to tell myself that was because of damage saturation. But in this instance here, I'm fairly certain the target was pristine, it had been only just spotted the first time and this was early in the game. So how can this be please? I could find the replay though it would take some searching.

cigar.jpg

7 answers to this question

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
369 posts
7,286 battles

As Principat has said, it's module damage. If your shell penetrates a secondary gun for example, that turret will take the damage and not the ship itself, potentially knocking out the turret. Or, if a HE shell hits something like an AA gun that AA mount will take the damage, you'll probably see the gun incapacitation indicator on your target but the ship wont have taken damage from the shell.

Modder
3,879 posts
6,947 battles

You also get the orange "penetration ribbon" when your shell penetrates the torpedo belt but not the main armor belt. Thus your shell penetrates but do not inflict any damage.

[T_I_W]
Players
43 posts
9,020 battles

Nautical_Metaphor, check out this video. It is part of the "how it works" series produced by WG. Even after a few years of playing wows I learnt some new things watching these. The part that is pertinent to your question starts at 2mins 36.

Auf

Players
11 posts
531 battles

So why don't I see the yellow Incapacitation ribbon? According to the Wiki, "One ribbon is awarded when a module (Engine, Rudder, etc.) is destroyed on an enemy ship. Modules will regain hit points over time and return to full functionality."

So this is only for some modules but not others?

Players
11 posts
531 battles
Vor 13 Stunden, principat121 sagte:

explained multiple times

And it will be asked again and again, at least until the search function of this forum is rendered functional.

As long as it remains useless - sorry, not sorry.

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
369 posts
7,286 battles
33 minutes ago, HackingCheater said:

So why don't I see the yellow Incapacitation ribbon? According to the Wiki, "One ribbon is awarded when a module (Engine, Rudder, etc.) is destroyed on an enemy ship. Modules will regain hit points over time and return to full functionality."

So this is only for some modules but not others?

Because you could penetrate a secondary gun, and that gun absorb all the damage, but not knock it out. Or, like Principat mentioned, the shell penetrates some armor like the torpedo belt but doesn't penetrate any further and thus does not actual damage.

The modules that get restored are the engine, rudder, primary armament and torpedo tubes, assuming the latter two are not outright destroyed.

Sign in to follow this