EdwardPreble

Standard and use of the English language

4 comments in this topic

Question

[WOG1]
Players
2 posts
577 battles

I am finding the standard and use of the English language across World of Warships to be problematic. This ranges from relatively unimportant faux pas to almost impenetrable technical and game play explanations and guidelines. Rather than cite endless examples, quotations and references I wonder whether the experience of other users coincides with mine? (I speak as a person born and living in England. I am prepared to put my money where my mouth is.)

3 answers to this question

[SSA]
Players
509 posts
16,199 battles

Please do remind yourself that the majority of players are not native english speakers.

With regard to the older portion of the player base please note that many countries used to have little to no (compulsory) english in school curricula (e.g. many former eastern block countries). Lastly and most importantly few use their second language regularly in a context that emphasizes it's correct use beyond the level of being understood clearly (if it sees regular usage at all). Imagine the shoe on the other foot, with you and everyone else having to use Russian, German, Portugese or whichever language we assume to be lingua franca in this hypothetical.