Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
vonEtienne

I'm the BB that pushes. Not anymore. And I love it!

98 comments in this topic

[KUMA]
Players
45 posts
11,759 battles

Supposedly the good BB pushes with the rest of the team. I always try to do so. But you know what happens? Cruisers and destroyers just peel off and suddenly you are all alone targeted by 7 ships, rained to death be HE spam. You try to reverse out but whats the point, you are dead. Or die to torpedos, flooding, whatever.

So the last few matches I started to snipe like all braindead BBs do. And you know what? It works. I can still do decent damage while preserving my health pool and being untouchable to half the enemy. I can go undetected anytime I want. Better yet, from these distances I can actually reliable citadel all these bs underwater cits! I really don't see the point of pushing unless its past midgame and you need to chase down targets.

It really sucks that high tier gamepaly turnt to be such a bore, but if this is whats rewards results, i wash my hands.

• Cool 11
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 2

Players
2,199 posts
3,844 battles

This was happening to me quite offen as im BB player. So I wont rush anymore, and I'll let others to move ahead of me, and I dare to someone accuse me to be a camper then I'll give on the table the facts why is rushing as BB aka. ''yolo'' a BS in this game.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Players
97 posts
6,204 battles
38 minutes ago, vonEtienne said:

Supposedly the good BB pushes with the rest of the team. I always try to do so. But you know what happens? Cruisers and destroyers just peel off and suddenly you are all alone targeted by 7 ships, rained to death be HE spam. You try to reverse out but whats the point, you are dead. Or die to torpedos, flooding, whatever.

So the last few matches I started to snipe like all braindead BBs do. And you know what? It works. I can still do decent damage while preserving my health pool and being untouchable to half the enemy. I can go undetected anytime I want. Better yet, from these distances I can actually reliable citadel all these bs underwater cits! I really don't see the point of pushing unless its past midgame and you need to chase down targets.

It really sucks that high tier gamepaly turnt to be such a bore, but if this is whats rewards results, i wash my hands.

Amen. Its best tactic: Just slug it out, thin enemy ranks, and than join the fight. You cannot count on the team, so theres no reason to go in. As both a BB, and Cruiser captain, i can also say, that theres no incentive for pushing, only swift death by a thousand citadels. Game doesnt reward being first one to push, and pity.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[BBMM]
Players
4,147 posts
4,660 battles
37 minutes ago, vonEtienne said:

I'm guessing this is what happens to most players, and by the time they reach tier 10 they are stuck with it.

Players
1,483 posts
10,124 battles

I have to say that as a BB player I try to be close enough to deter an attack, protect a DD or support a cap.. However, like the OP, I am also getting sick of being deserted, I don't ride a speedboat and cannot get away from an unfavourable situation if I am abandoned... I had a game in my Grosse supporting a push by a Kagero, Cleveland and a Roon.. The DD then decides to ignore an easy cap to chase an enemy CV.. the Cleveland turns and runs with the Roon then an enemy Worcester and Zao we were attacking has just one target..me, so I literally burn down to zero in no time at all. The useless Kagero goes into the CV at 2km fires all its torpedoes and every torpedo misses.. it then gets blapped by the CV by its torpedo bombers...

So I think I am going to try this snipe tactic for a while....

• Cool 5

[NWP]
Players
6,595 posts
7,504 battles

Once again we see, that obviously playing a BB leave only 2 options:

Yolo in and die

Camp at maxrange

Both are equally stupid :cap_fainting:

Funny thing is, complaining about the first (= the team lets you down) and then doing the 2nd (= you letting your team down) is the same thing, yet you probably dont even realize it.

• Cool 15

[SCRUB]
Players
3,433 posts
9,234 battles

I dont like this topic. Its misleading.

We all know that BBs have to push at the right time and not yolo at the start. But you are making it sound like you are justifying camping. I dont like what u did here.

• Cool 16

[CATS]
Players
19,991 posts
12,420 battles
6 hours ago, vonEtienne said:

BB play is not about farming damage from enemy BB.....

• Cool 5

[NWP]
Players
2,187 posts
13,994 battles

Cause there obviously is no middle ground between sniping at max range and yolo-ing in.

Too bad that middle ground is really really hard to play in a BB, you go in too close and you can't go stealth anymore, you sit to far and you lose accuracy.

But mostly cause you depend on your fellow BBs to sit in the same danger zone you sit in. And therein lies the biggest problem, so many BBs don't want to get their paint scratched and will only start using their healthpool and heal in the late game. So they don't use that powerfull tool: rather than using 4 heals, they'll barely use up one before enemy fire overwhelms them.

• Cool 9

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
842 posts

There is a difference in moving forward to Close the distance or going balls deep and overextend.

If u Close the distance u put pressure on the caps and u are more support to Your DDs and CA/CLs.

If u go ham, well, Your fault rly.

Many players don't know the time to push or not. Or turn for that matter.

• Cool 5

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,873 posts
10,143 battles

I tried that once.

Got bored and compensated by playing a full secondary Yamato for a few battles the lolz.
Turns out that people are ****ing terrified of a Yamato charging at then, and do the stupidest of things.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
7 hours ago, Exocet6951 said:

I tried that once.

Got bored and compensated by playing a full secondary Yamato for a few battles the lolz.
Turns out that people are ****ing terrified of a Yamato charging at then, and do the stupidest of things.

What do you want. When a big ship comes at you, it IS EDIT terryfying.

giphy.gif

Edited by Kampa1987
Vulgarism
  • Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
7 hours ago, eliastion said:

giphy.gif

Why is there no Shipstorm Saturday overlay?

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,873 posts
10,143 battles
7 hours ago, eliastion said:

I want them to panic some more, as I find it hilarious to see a few lightly armored cruisers lose 9k hp when my 155mm secondaries citpen them, as a sort of amuse-bouche to the 460mm horrors to come :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,892 posts
8,982 battles
8 hours ago, vonEtienne said:

No one asked you to play a BB.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
7 hours ago, Exocet6951 said:

I want them to panic some more, as I find it hilarious to see a few lightly armored cruisers lose 9k hp when my 155mm secondaries citpen them, as a sort of amuse-bouche to the 460mm horrors to come :Smile_teethhappy:

And then there is that match a couple days ago where I sit in my pitiful smoke in my Kitakaze and throw a EDIT stream of fire into the face of approaching Yamato, cursing the fact that he's melting so slowly. And then TRB comes off reload and I have my torps again, but I know that just one or two hits won't be enough. So I cease fire (since he's crossing my shooting-from-smoke range) and watch him approach because I need to torp from around 2km max for that behemoth to die from it. But the torps aren't THAT fast, if I torp from this close, I'll get proximity spotted and I KNOW I'll eat a salvo, no way around it...

EDIT thriller, I tell you :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by Kampa1987
Vulgarism
  • Cool 1

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles

Wondering: why is it more or less proposed as "a player either always has to opt for camping/sniping OR goes goes for pushing-style (thus: playing it the risky way, walk the sharp "edges")? I mean, either way you play it, when battle is finished (you get sunk or not, depends) yr ship will be back in port a 100% restored again and you just click to start the next battle...and the next...and the next. If you after a battle can objectively answer the question "Did you benefit yr team sufficiently" with YES, then yr doing it OK!

Pushing or sniping, personally depends on my mood (what do I like at that moment in time in battle); Nelson(VII) + ConQ(X) are my fav BB's and I play them both styles: (very) agressive + sniping/camping (depends what I like at that moment). Sniping is kind of doing damage more safely (from distance), ok, yes, but I very often also go in boldly (calculated risk-taking...going for gain + fun!). So, after a sniping-battle playing an agressive battle and say rushing in a cap towards smoke, eating 2x torps + sinking enemy destroyer with devastating RN-HE-Shells making way free for teammates I experience from time to time as very nice fun (+ it benefits team). Yeah, you can get sunk faster that way sometimes, but sowhat(???)...after battle ended I get my ship back and  just start another battle. Besides that: it most of the times brings a big smile on my face when i kind of sense that enemy ships wondering "hell, what is that Conq or Nelson gonna do there, that's not standard-play!! omg!!"...lollol:cap_popcorn:

• Cool 1

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
787 posts
4,490 battles

I still need to find that "sweet spot" with the BB's I play. As in finding the right place to position and time to push. 
But I rather try to be useful for the team and lose than to be the player that only wan't to contribute to their own and just sits there farming damage and lose regardless. 

We all know who I talk about in the latter one. I can understand that sometimes it is the right tactic. But only executed correctly by experienced players. That one guy in an IJN BB that yes snipes from the back. But positioning himself in such manner it creates a cross fire or supporting the "front" whilst the team is pushing somewhere. 

I find that still rather difficult to do, as in you need to read the flow correctly and sometimes the team just is doing unexpected things. 

If anyone has some tips for me I would like to take some notes. 

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
737 posts
11,967 battles
9 hours ago, vonEtienne said:

You probably end up with above average spotting and potential damage in such cases, but I would guess it's also called over extending. The point that the cruisers peel off is probably where you need to stop pushing and basically use that as the limit of the battleship influence of the sea. If the destroyers have also peeled off, then you have probably pushed too close for the situation. Also, remember that a cruiser doesn't want to get too close to enemy battleship salvo's and they will either want to use island cover or kite away firing otherwise they will get blapped before the enemy bothers to focus you.

But if you hold back and snipe, the cruisers can't get forward and the DD's don't get effective support if they need to cap. Battleships push the line forward.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
3,098 posts
18,357 battles
1 hour ago, Exocet6951 said:

I tried that once.

Yep works with Musashi as well :cap_haloween:

[HF_30]
Players
4 posts
11,332 battles

Eh...

if you position yourself so that the majority of the enemy team can shoot at you, you allready failed.

If you find yourself in the situation that you have to chose which enemy BB to give broadside, you also failed.

If you camp at max range, poor accuracy being the result, youre also near worthless to your team.

Position is key, try and keep LOS blocked to as much of the enemy team as you can, particulary if they can flank you.

• Cool 2

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles
44 minutes ago, Linkaex said:

I still need to find that "sweet spot" with the BB's I play. As in finding the right place to position and time to push. 
But I rather try to be useful for the team and lose than to be the player that only wan't to contribute to their own and just sits there farming damage and lose regardless. 

We all know who I talk about in the latter one. I can understand that sometimes it is the right tactic. But only executed correctly by experienced players. That one guy in an IJN BB that yes snipes from the back. But positioning himself in such manner it creates a cross fire or supporting the "front" whilst the team is pushing somewhere. 

I find that still rather difficult to do, as in you need to read the flow correctly and sometimes the team just is doing unexpected things. 

If anyone has some tips for me I would like to take some notes. 

You never know how a battle is gonna develop (sheer endless ways it can develop). I myself keep watching mini-map a lot (to keep over-view) and lets say, when I notice enemy team almost gonna take 2 caps and our team having none (caps), enemy threatening getting big points advantage,  thus things gonna realy wrong way for sure (our team waiting, waiting...for what??? ) then I decide to push my ships horn (trying to motivate team!) and typing in chat: "Conqueror is going full-in cap A, pls support with firing and dd protection" and then gonna play ConQ real agressively, balancing on knife-edge. Alternatively, doing NOTHING is team gonna loose for sure anyway, I  mean.

So, imo depends on how battle develops: watch ---> anticipate ----> ACT(!)...at least: give it a try...LEAD when circumstances require such & act, try to make a difference. And some written guide like: "always do this and always do that....doesn't realy exist imo. Only general guidelines fcaus can prove helpfull re further developing reallife skills. Anyway, that's my personal opinion:cap_popcorn:

(...almost forgot to mention: PLAY A LOT!!!...that's very important to gain and improve insight in strategics + tactics...play a lot...and when you get sunk, keep hanging around & watch to see yr teammates...provides lots of info)

• Cool 1

Players
2,052 posts
10,940 battles

Looking at this topic and your other one I think you're just a plain lazy player. Granted the player base can be improved, but you can also try and take advantage of whatever happens during game play. I just played a game in the Friedrich on Mountain range and I spent almost my entire game sailing around the B area in front of spawn instead of A and C. Half the time I was getting torped by a Shima and Ognevoi and shot at by various ships. Yet I only died close to the end of the game. Only did 70k+ damage but came in 2nd. Just you know use your brains when playing the games and take advantage of your teammate or the enemy's play.

20180907_153447_PGSB109-Friedrich-der-Grosse_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

Spoiler

shot-18_09.07_15_48.25-0166.thumb.jpg.42541e9380eeb04447995761759bdf5e.jpgshot-18_09.07_15_48.28-0397.thumb.jpg.464d06c90506616e2865d8e0a7fc88a0.jpgshot-18_09.07_15_48.33-0229.thumb.jpg.c75dc2a9e361744976ae8277a2921766.jpg

• Cool 2

Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles

This sounds to me like OP doesn't understand how to break away from a failed push. Instead he goes in yolo, ends up alone and gets focused to death.

Try using islands or risk a turn to get out of a failed attempt next time.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1