Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
pzkpfwv1d

Arms Race - new mode - do you like it or dislike it

Arms Race -   

59 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried the arms race in public test and did you like it

• Yes - did not like it
    • Yes - like it
    • No
  2. 2. Arms Race - will you be playing it on the normal server

• Yes
    • No
    • Do not know

19 comments in this topic

[WCWVE]
Players
774 posts
12,011 battles

In update 0.7.9.0 a new mode will be introduced to the game - Arms Race - for Tier 9 and Tier 10 ships only

Please provide your feedback on your experiences so far and your comments on this mode only.

Do not Provide Feedback for any other content 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,396 posts
8,764 battles

It isn't forced on us - instead it's a nice separate way to derp around and farm some xp and credits. Like it.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
2,089 posts
5,848 battles

I don't feel it does any harm, and there is also the slight possibility that it might make T8 MM a bit less painful - sounds good to me.

At the moment, it doesn't seem to count towards missions etc. - I imagine that'll put some people off though.

• Cool 1

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,374 posts
4,167 battles

When we can't finish tasks or campaign missions in this new mode then i don't think i will play it often!

• Cool 2

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,687 posts
5,569 battles

I like it. It's kinda derpy and arcade bit quite fun. Since its entirely optional I see no harm in it

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
976 posts
10,927 battles

At first glance I can't say I am that impressed as I do not like the idea of even more "magical" bonuses conferred onto ships. That said this is without having seen or tried it and so I have to accept that it may possibly be fun. I doubt I will play it much if I do try it as I prefer the KISS approach to game design.

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
584 posts
3,322 battles

Haven't played it in the test server. But will surely give it a go when it comes to the public servers. Seems really fun! 

Players
577 posts
4,698 battles
51 minutes ago, Arakus said:

When we can't finish tasks or campaign missions in this new mode then i don't think i will play it often!

This is the killer right here, the little detail that totally derails the intent of this mode to alleviate t8 ships by pulling t10s out of the matchmaker. ESPECIALLY combined with the fact that the grand majority of new missions and tasks are skewed towards being completely exclusively in t10s.

Why would I play a mode that can only be played in t10 ships, if I can't get my t10 exclusive missions done in them? Why would I spend 15 minutes playing this mode when I can spend 15 minutes playing a near-identical mode that counts towards my ridiculously grindly legendary mod missions? Without this mode counting towards missions, nobody will end up playing it after a while. It will exist in a vacuum. After the initial "new content" wave dies down people will move back to randoms to keep grinding missions. Even if it ends up being fun, without accomplishing anything at the end of every match the mode will die.

• Cool 4

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
6 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Why would I play a mode that can only be played in t10 ships, if I can't get my t10 exclusive missions done in them? Why would I spend 15 minutes playing this mode when I can spend 15 minutes playing a near-identical mode that counts towards my ridiculously grindly legendary mod missions? 

This is a key point, and I agree 100%.

At the same time (as I posted in the "Public Test" section) I would also hate to see missions/tasks/whatever that HAVE to be done in this Arms Race mode.

I think the new mode is a great new addition for many players (but too arcade-like for me). However it does need some tweaking, as others have mentioned.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Quality Poster
1,666 posts
8,514 battles

It is an entire, separate game mode, like ranked or random.

So you can choose to play it, or not play it.

I see no reason not to add it, it adds more variety.

On the PTS had a few fun games with it, time will tell if has lasting attraction, but even if it doesn't, you can at least play something different when you want to.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,654 posts
9,504 battles
3 hours ago, aboomination said:

It isn't forced on us - instead it's a nice separate way to derp around and farm some xp and credits. Like it.

This. I am simply going to assume thats a choseable game mode, like ranked, or at least opt-out-able like WoT Encounter, therefore isnt crammed down my throat. On the other side if I can play a T8 cruiser in a divsion again and not be the ONLY T8 shitcruiser on both teams ...... yeah, you get the idea.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles

Hard to say how fun it will be - derping around on PT doesn't say much about how things are going to look on live.

Also, what others said about tasks, achievements and missions. ESPECIALLY missions - there are the super-grindy ones for legendary modules AND there are various dailies... especially the latter - playing Arms Race prevents you from completing missions (unless you play enough that you can complete your dailies in other modes and then go for AR), doesn't let you re-stock on flags through earning achievements etc.

I really think the mode should either allow achievements or have their own set - and achievements for Scenarios and AR (if these were non-standard) should be assigned signal flag gains... Plus, of course, missions should allow AR with maybe some exceptions for non-compatible missions... although it's still PvP, so most should be compatible.

Players
3,607 posts
7,323 battles

It's wasn't terribly intuitative on PT so it took a while to work out how to play it, I'm not sure how it'll work out on the live server.

It's an interesting idea, possibly intended to encourage ships into closer combat, will it work?  I don't know.

[OCTO]
Players
639 posts
15,202 battles

<sarcasm> Yey, more magical bonuses, YOLO rushes and summoning of great powers to be bestowed upon reckless!

What is there to not like? </sarcasm>

[IRN]
Beta Tester
60 posts
4,320 battles

"Currently, you cannot earn combat achievements in the new mode. In addition, campaigns and most of the combat missions and challenges are also unavailable. "

= I have no reason to play it even if I'd like to :Smile_sad:

I have so little time to play that at least some mission or companion I can carry on slowly. A mode that does not allow me to progress in those missions does not entice me to be played :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 3

Players
382 posts
2 hours ago, havaduck said:

This. I am simply going to assume thats a choseable game mode, like ranked...

It is; text in highlighted box on https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/arms-race/ says "Please note that to engage in Arms Race mode, you need to click on the current battle type near the Battle! button and change it accordingly." and that was/is the way it worked/works on the PTS.

• Cool 1

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles

When I heard about it, I was a bit concerned because I found the concept too arcady and entirely too unhistorical. But hey, you gotta try everything at least once, so I had a go a few times on the test server. And it was indeed kinda fun.

However, it is limited to high tiers, and high tiers only. While there may be good reasons for that, I disagree with that decision entirely. On most days I detest high tier game play and I don't aspire to even own high tier ships. I only have two Tier IX BBs currently, so I'll very probably only do Arms Race on the main server if there are very enticing benefits to farm while tending to my actual current pet project - grinding Elite Commander XP.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,141 posts
5,915 battles

Looks interesting. 

Sign in to follow this