Vilodrom

Captains - What are they and what do they do

14 comments in this topic

[SIIAS]
Players
35 posts
544 battles

When I say I have no clue about captains, I mean that the only thing I see in them are the different people and names....

I have a feeling they play a big part i  the game and I want to know everything xD

pLEASE help

_vilodrom

[SSA]
Players
519 posts
16,261 battles

Commanders are a major part of ship customization.

Each skipper earns experience when you play that ship and lvl up. For each lvl you get 1 skill point to spend.

Skills cost from 1-4 points (basically the row they are listed is their cost)

note, you can only get a skill if you have chosen at least 1 skill from the previous row before. (1st one excluded ofc)

You can check the skills in game by clicking on the captain or here:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Spending_Commander_Experience

As for which skills to pick depends on the ship and how you want to spec it, but there are some universally recommended choices

e.g preventive maintenance and last stand on DDs, concealment expert on everything except carriers and priority target for cruisers and battleships.

[edit] or you can just read petes article, that works as well ^^

[SIIAS]
Players
35 posts
544 battles

I sWeAr To GoD

THIS DAMN S. CAROLINA!!!!!!!!!

I cannot explain how pissed I am rn arrgghghghhhhh

Puhhhleaseeeee help

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,304 posts
6,186 battles
7 minutes ago, Vilodrom said:

I sWeAr To GoD

Puhhhleaseeeee help

We can't....that ship is terrible

Players
772 posts
12,265 battles

Colonel_Pete and rnat have already pointed you to the corresponding wiki page so I won't extend about it. I'll try to make a simple explanation for better understanding.

There are 3 ways you can improve your ship: you can improve its main elements (modules), thus making it sturdier, faster, harder hitting, etc.; you can improve it's secondary elements with upgrades that ease certain aspects (improved survivability of main battery, rudder response, etc.); and finally you can train its crew, whose embodiment is the captain. Upgrades can be directly bought, modules have to be researched (in order to do so you have to play and gain ship experience) then bought, and captain/crew skill points can also be unlocked by gaining their own experience through battles. Modules are pretty straightforward to find: they have their own tab in port. Upgrades are a bit trickier: within the modules' tab, at the bottom, there are 2 sub-tabs named consumables and upgrades so click on the former and you'll be shown the available slots for upgrades and the ones that can fit there. Finally, captain skills are hidden on a different screen that can be accessed by clicking on the captain.

The more battles a captain has fought, the more experience he and his crew have, and as a sign of this expertise they develop certain traits (captain skills) that further extend their ship's performance: they are better at handling ordnance and artillery, they are sharper at spotting menaces, they get less tired when fighting fire and flooding... It's then up to you to select which of those traits suit you and your ship better. An advantage captains have is that you can move them from ship to ship, thus not having them stuck to their first command, but whenever they jump onto the new vessel they need to familiarize with all the new equipment and only have mediocre performance on their traits until the process is completed, and the more previous experience the captain has, the harder it becomes for him to readjust (in a similar way to the difficulties in learning humans experience with age). You can haste it by performing an accelerated course, but it'll cost you money.

1 hour ago, Vilodrom said:

I sWeAr To GoD

Puhhhleaseeeee help

Some low tier ships are quite the headache, but you still have few battles. There's not much that can be done by others about that but advising to watch how others play, either by guides and videos on Youtube or by staying until the battle is over and not quitting immediately after you're sunk, jumping from ship to ship with your mouse or roaming in free camera. Make wise use of your time in lower tiers, because things get to some extent better but a lot harder later on.

Salute.

[SIIAS]
Players
35 posts
544 battles

Lmao I'm only doing this S.Carolina so I have access to a CV.... thought it might be fun....

Argh I just get - and it's this trio every damn time - Friant, Jurien and on Orion shooting at me at the same time, with no team mates to help me and I just get fugoled over by torps at the end

;(

Screw this Imma go IJN BB's and get a CV that way -_-

Players
1,159 posts
9,109 battles

I'd normally say, go experiment and discover the intricacies of Commander skills yourself after the above pointers. After all, that is no small part of the fun.

However, that usually costs real money, except for a few discount periods each year when (some) players enjoy free skill point redistribution for a few days. It's not a lot of money (compare https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GdW79l1hAu7cDeP6R-zKDkR6F6M2Jjv0YJLdUULC-hE/edit?usp=sharing)

and I am absolutely not opposed to Wargaming earning a profit. But if you keep redistributing, many small sums can soon pile up, and if you don't buy many doubloons, they could soon be gone when you'd possibly rather spend them on other things. So you might just want to know beforehand a little more about what you're in for.

While players have different play styles and may have different opinions on the details, these are mostly reserved for the finer points, meaning to say any additional skills acquired beyond the basic ten skill points that give you access to all four tiers of Commander skills.

However, the crucial first four skills, which can be obtained relatively quickly, are almost universally spent on typical basic builds for each ship type, skills which most players view as the most beneficial and make the biggest difference. They are as follows:

Basic DD build - PM, LS, SE, CE. For gunboating DDs, PT is sometimes chosen instead of PM since it can be helpful when gunboating in the open. PM lets modules break less often. Only LS will give you a chance to survive two broken rudders or engines in quick succession. SE is a fixed-amount health boost, so the ship class with the lowest basic health obviously benefits the most. And CE is so good that builds without it, for any ship type, are fairly rare altogether.

Basic Cruiser build - PT, AR. DE, CE. For cruisers with very slow gun traverse, EM is sometimes chosen as the basic second tier skill instead of AR.

Basic British Cruiser build - PT, EM, SI, CE. Especially the lower tier RN cruisers have slow turrets. None have HE shells (except possibly for any secondaries) so DE would be a waste; and they get increasing numbers of very good consumables, so they benefit more strongly from SI.

Basic BB build - PM, EM, SI, CE. Some middle and higher Tier BBs can increasingly make do without EM and would spec into AR as the basic second tier skill instead, like the German Tier VII BBs and up. But if your ship "turns faster than your guns", and you need to interrupt turns to stay on target, that gets really annoying, and that is the case for most all of the early and some of the later BBs as well. - Edit: If you have problems evading torpedoes, maybe consider V instead of SI at least for any more sluggish BBs.

Basic German "Brawler" BB build - PM, AR, BFT or DE, AFT. As of Tier V and possibly sooner, some people feel it makes increasingly more sense to spec into enhanced secondaries with the German BBs. BFT and AFT will at the same time enhance your ships' AA performance. This needs to be compounded with matching upgrades though.

Basic Carrier build - ASE, TA, TAE, AS. For what it's worth.

• Cool 1

[SSA]
Players
519 posts
16,261 battles
10 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Basic BB build - PM, EM, SI, CE

I'd recommend PT instead of PM. Knowing if and how many ppl are trying to kill you is very helpful when considering how to angle and when to pull turns or disengage. PM might be better for less experienced players though.

10 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Basic German "Brawler" BB build - PM, AR, BFT or DE, AFT.

1) Again, imo PT is king, see above

2) SI instead of BFT/DE. Alternatively BoS. If you're trying to brawl, you WILL get focused. The extra heal is invaluable. You can always pick BFT later.

3) That's steering towards a full secondary build. Not bad for a brawl but pls label it correcly. (and add in manual secondaries ^^)

If you just want to brawl a tank build tends to let you do that better, since it allows you to have the HP to make a move when the time comes.

Secondary focused german BBs can be hillarious though. ^^

That being said we prolly shouldn't bombard him with cookie-cutter builds yet when he just learned about captains.

12 hours ago, Vilodrom said:

[...] so I have access to a CV.... thought it might be fun....

Buyers beware:

1) There's a major CV rework in progress. It's still in quite early development but is is coming.

2) CV gameplay is completely different, more of an RTS than action game

3) T4 and 5 CVs are pretty neutered atm. Your strike planes only have auto-drops, which are easy to evade if the opponent knows what he's doing and notices you coming and you can only engage enemy fighters (i.e. you click, they fight), which favours the USN CVs because they have bigger (but fewer) squadrons.

That being said if you like the gameplay from T6 on there's no ship that can win games and terrorize the enemy like a well played carrier. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,138 posts
5,915 battles

The title of this topic reminds me of this lol

[SM0KE]
Players
2,073 posts
5,840 battles

@Vilodrom others have covered off the crucial stuff; I might add a couple of things:

If you're time-poor and/or don't mind spending real money on the game, keep an eye on the premium shop - sometimes, ready-made 10 point captains are available (like now); also, there are several ways to get 10+ point captains free - the easiest is one of the Ops - can't remember which one - that gives you a decent captain for a 4, or maybe 5 star win, plus various chain missions e.g. the current anniversary thing will net you enough tokens for one or more freebies (space captains, or Dasha).

10 points is where (most) captains start getting really valuable for most ships, as that's when you can bag Concealment Expert (CE), which is essential for the majority of ships.

When I first started, I was clueless about optimum captain's builds (as you'll see from this thread, there is often disagreement as to what 'optimum' actually is, and your own personal play style will also factor in e.g. many people swear blind that Priority Target (PT) is optimal for DDs at level 1; I personally usually get Preventative Maintenance (PM) instead as the way I play often gets me shot at - doesn't mean I'm right though); I found that looking at the ship entries in the wiki was very helpful, as they all include an indication of which captains skills are most helpful for which ships.

When you're thinking about captain builds, another useful resource are LWM's reviews of the various premiums (the more recent ones at least - the captains skills changed since she started writing them) - there is a link from most premium ship entries on the wiki; LWM often doesn't agree exactly with the wiki's suggestions - looking at the differences, and understanding them is helpful in working out how to build optimally for your own captains.

BTW more of a long-term goal at this stage in your career: when you get to 19 points, a captain starts generating elite xp that can be applied to any other captain - this is very helpful for advancing less experienced captains...

Players
131 posts
3,604 battles
On 9/5/2018 at 6:45 PM, Vilodrom said:

Screw this Imma go IJN BB's and get a CV that way -_-

Good luck with the Kawachi, you're going to need it.

I expect you're thinking nothing can be worse than the South Carolina? you could be wrong...

• Funny 1

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles
11 minutes ago, Vilodrom said:

I just get quick scoped by orions with the S.Caro

Orion is a tier above you. You also get wrecked by other T4s.

Also, please don't try play like most Orions who use HE. Won't work.