Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Redcap375

Old skool CV Captains final say and thoughts

27 comments in this topic

Players
1,537 posts
6,446 battles

Chaps :cap_tea:

Spoke to most of my Clan members last night and it's kinda split if the CV change is good or not.

However, nearly all of them agree that it's really dumbed down with less tactics involved, but that wont make it bad for non CV players that wanna have a quick laugh.

Few points that the majority agreed with:

1) WG needed to make CV's more casual friendly and this will kinda do this.  Easier to understand and less "Mind" intensive.

2) Lack of CV training for new players really didn't help the whole line from the beginning.

3) Too much AA currently.  Things had to change regarding AA machinics. Put too many people off earlier (tier 8+). 

4) Console friendly now

Split points

1) Half liked the RTS style and half didn't. Those that didn't, didn't really play CV's or wanted to. 

2) Skill gap.  People agreed that CV captains have the highest skill ceiling and praised there/our playing ability.  However, new players in the clan that tried CV were put off because of meeting these good players.  Half thought that it was more One vs One with the better player normally dominating the battle.  Most felt under pressure when facing a better CV player and after being beaten, didn't want to go though it again any time soon.  Too much toxic messages in Chat and pressure on preforming well for the team.  They didn't want the stress that comes with CV play.

Will they play CV's now?

The majority of non CV players WILL give the new system ago.  To them it's more an like action arcade game like the rest of the game.  Most said it "looks like a bit of fun".

I think they are right.  It does look like a bit of fun.  However, i bet that fun will get boring very fast when you have no competition to play against (other CV) and less tactical flexibility.

I know it's hardly every player on the server :Smile_teethhappy: but it's a small snippet of a mixed bag of Good and new(ish) players. 

WG need CV's to appeal to more players and this is one way of doing it and i think it will.

Last Personal Opinion and thanks :cap_yes:

So the horse has bolted and it's here.  So what do i personally believe?

Enjoyment and old days

*Sigh*, I liked the RTS change when i played the CV line.  It was something different than playing the arcade action like the rest.   When i wanted a real one vs one challenge i picked a CV.  The skill of the player meant more in the game than any other ship class and i enjoyed that, even if i lost.  I enjoyed the challenge of "teamplay" when helping other ships by keeping the enemy planes away or spotting the enemy DD/torp when helping Battleship players, or spotting ahead of DDs and helping them find their targets. The fact that you could TRY and help everyone and play a big part in a battle, just like a CV should, was a good feeling. I enjoyed a hard challenge and CV's provided that fix. 

Toxic chat

The amount of toxic chat I have received was by far the most when playing CV's.  Even if you managed to swat 30 planes for a Solo no-spec BB for half then game, he still flames you when he eventually gets sunk by enemy planes when still soloing forward on his own.  Trying your best for your team and killing 5-6 ships and STILL losing because they have cap issues and camping BB's became extremely frustrating.  Spotting torps for BB players whilst losing them and still they sail in a straight line and flame, unbelievable isnt it? But it all came with CV play and many couldn't hack this or want this type of pressure (compared to my RL job, this isnt pressure in the slightest). 

Clan battle palaver 

Then the exclusion from Clan battles, which i was so strongly against. I never believe you should exclude the minority in any form just like real life.  It worked in inter Clan 8 vs 8 games and made the game even more tactical.  People had a choice between AA or Hydro/Radar and it isn't just a given like it is now. WG saying that the "Skill of the player" was too far part Or some clans don't have CV players? Was IMHO horse s***.  Of course they could have included CV's, they just didn't want to. Doesn't matter how good a CV players is, when you face a team with Super AA that plays like a team, no amount of planes in the world can help.  Most of us that played CV's in that time understands what i mean.  With even Defensive Gearing knocking around.  It spiced things up and people played like a FLEET. 

Teamwork

Teamwork in general has gone down over the years to were we are now. Forced upon us in closed due to share amount of planes knocking around it's fizzled out to the majority of players playing their own solo games in randoms.  It's randoms after all so i'm cool with that, but it used to be "More" teamplayer orientated. Div's and Clans over the years have helped this alot, but when on their own people are still less inclined to provide AA support or radar to friendly Callsigns than ever before.  That's my honest opinion and many might disagree.  Shame their isnt any "stats" for teamplay. 

AP bombs

The majority of CV players never even asked from them in the first place.  I didn't even think about them until they arrived. Adding something to a line that was disliked in the first place by many and then giving them the power to 3/4 or sink a German BB or Heavy Cruiser in one was a VERY BAD IDEA from WG.  Most of the time they are useless and gave DD and CL players a brake, but with so many people buying ships like the Tirps this didn't help things for the image of CV's.  Funny how you didn't hear a peep from DD players or ships that wasn't effected? Only those that refused to expect that they will be a juicy target for AP bombs. However, like i said before, i was never in favour of them and only the Enterprise is my AP ship (no choice). 

It gave CV players a choice which was good for the class and wasn't always a given pick.  Pick AP and you might get a game with no German BBs and alot of DD's? Don't pick them and you get 2 Bis, 1 Trip and a Hindy :Smile_teethhappy:.   But the effects on using them P***** too many people off, even though they are the minority of ships in the game.  Rule number one of WG bible "thy shall not upset BB players in any form".  I couldn't careless about them in my Bis (with AFT, BFT, AA range MOD, flags) and/or any form of cruiser next to me. 

WG hand in all this CV stuff

Those that remember Close days to were we are now know it's been a messy process hasn't it chaps.  Not providing guides to how to play CV's were unforgivable and the knowledge they were reluctant  to pass on (like counter strafing) were appalling. The GZ was the single worse ship that ever set sail and even before it's release, many good CV players said it was "pants and unworkable". Did they listen to actual CV players? Not a jot.  Rushed it out to fit inside of the games day (££££) and what a mess it was.  Only after an outcry from certain popular steamers  and such did they remove it.  This shown us that they:

1) Didn't care about CV players

2) No idea how to balance a CV or play one

New ships at the time like the DOY, Alabama, Massachusetts, Kidd, Kii, Hood, Flint, Atlanta, Black, Kuts ect...coming off the line with very good AA and BB's with defensive AA consumables for the first time.  Then the RN cruiser line like the Mino with dual purpose main guns that turned into a AA monster with 8.6 km of invisible AA death.   Then the new American Light line with the Wocherster and Seattle with the heavy line just as AA intensive and defensive AA consumables across the board.....All this added to the amount of AA we have now.

Good players can mitigate AA to a certain extent thought knowledge and experience, but it is/was simply too much for new CV players.  High tiers.  Not even taking into account the MM that CV''s have to put up with.  A Sho or Lex in a tier 10 battle is a painful experience to most.  More so than if i brought my Alabama or Kid into a tier 10 for example. 

Only 2 silver lines to choice from since the start of WOWS.  Kinda says it all with the amount of lines and countries we have now. 

The laggy interface and UI was the icing on the cake. 

WG will have left a horrendous legacy regarding both CV's and their captains.  I'm sure they will want to close this book quickly and forget about the whole thing and i cant blame them.

My honest thanks 

Thanks to all the players that complemented me after the battles in a CV.  This is what CV's players wanted to see when they finish a hard thinking intensive battle which they won by all that hard work.  It meant that i kept on getting better and better. A quick press of a button costs nothing. However, this also made people a victim of their own success and hence why WG are making the changes. Kinda sad really isn't it?

Big thanks to those other good CV players that i have been up against during the past years.  Learnt more from one game against them than 10 against others.  The best games i've had were against other good CV captains and left the game practically sweating and relieved. No other ship class has quite the same effect, even in nail-biting finishes with 4 kills under your belt. 

A not-so-thank-you to those people that have batted CV players and the line in general with untruths for so long.  Those that haven't even played a single CV game but claim they know what it's like.  Or those that choose crap AA ships and just flame because they get sunk by a CV. Or those that refuse to AA spec or even choose that consumable on a ship and moan when they go down. The only way you can truly know about something is by experiencing it yourself. Just because you got sunk by a CV is the same as being sunk by another ship.  All be it invis torped by a DD or one-Shot by a BB, the only difference is that AA was always an option and many refused to think about it or use it.  If you did, then as many of you know (unheard voices) you had little to fear from Planes. 

The majority of DD players hated CV's and always did.  Manly because it took their biggest strengths away from them and that they/we cant play the solo game that the casual player wanted.  However, this didn't mean that you had to crucify CV's because of this.  Instead of adapting, most simply wanted to play their own game or refused to equip certain consumables.   

I can hand on my heart say that in all the years of playing this game, i have never had a problem being on the receiving end of a CV.  Either in a DD, CA or BB.  I know what they can all do against CV's and with a little bit of WASD can do to mitigating them.  I never excepted the argument of them being hard to play against. When i'm downing 47 planes in a Simple BB or 64 planes in a Cleveland, I know i had little to fear from CV's.  Even good CV players.  If i died as a result of a CV, then 1) I did something wrong and/or out of place 2) went solo or 3) I simply had a pants AA ship and come to peace with it.

IMHO on the new CV way

I honestly hope they pull it off and it's enjoyable. I never want anything to fail just because it's new and/or different to what i'm used to.  Change is good sometimes and in money making games like this, required. You don't make money on stale games. 

I personally enjoyed the RTS way and the change it gave us, but this never clouded my judgement regarding the whole thing. So i'm personally disappointed in the new action arcade style regarding aircraft. Other games simply do it better.  However, i understand why they are doing it to an extent. Casual players just wanna come home from work (most of them), put their feet up and play a simple arcade type game in a short space of time.  Not to think that much as it is a WG game, not something like HOI4 or CK2 (Spent many many hours on them).  CV play was too much for a simple game.  This is a good game, but no one can ever call it a hard game IMHO.

This new system makes it fast paced and action packed in a short space of time.  Perfect for the average Joe and WG customers, and i think i will bring many new CV players into the mix.  HOWEVER, I personally believe this will become very boring very quickly.  Like some of the button punching games in the past. Little thinking about the overall picture and team play aspect of helping friendly ships. Just Damage, damage and more damage with an endless loop of planes. 

But most of all it will have taken the pride away from being very good in something that is hard to get good in. The satisfaction of being good will be diminished because the skill required to play this type of MIDWAY arcade style will be lowed down quite a bit. The only way to stop this "skill gap" was to lower the bar and make things easy.

I believe this will be a solo game within a solo game with the CV player (is he really a CV player now? or a pilot?) thinking nothing but himself.  That's not what a CV should play or be like, it's a support ship.  Now it's a damage dealer with minimum spotting or defensive capabilities. 

Light at the end of the tunnel?

We have only seen a snippet of whats to come and except that most of this is IMHO.  We don't know the devastation the AA will have and really how it works, as well as other things and they can change any of this just like that.  But what i've heard, seen, what WG vision is and their past dealings with the paying customers, it's gonna lead to a quick win but at the cost of longevity and satisfaction of the gameplay. Only time will tell i suppose.   I hope it works out as i enjoy the game, even through it's faults. 

This isn't meant to be the final swan song and of course i will give the new CV work ago, but regarding the "old skool" way of doing things, mainly thanks.  Just wanted to give my final thoughts on this chapter before it closes for good.  Not enough people realised just how hard playing CV's were at times with the loudest voices against CV's coming from the majority of non CV players or with a grudge to bear.  5% of the total WOWS population? Hardly a whisper were we...

:cap_tea:

• Cool 21

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,391 posts
8,709 battles

I know there aren't many CV mains, but if only 10% of you guys create a separate topic on the forums, it won't serve the purpose of getting your point across to the devs :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,382 posts
13,789 battles
1 hour ago, Redcap375 said:

Not providing guides to how to play CV's were unforgivable and the knowledge they were reluctant  to pass on (like counter strafing) were appalling.

Wanna know something funny?

Counterstrafing is just one of the many hidden mechanics in fighter play. Even click-fighting has its intricacies and isn't decided purely by RNG contrary to popular belief.

And no, I was never going to bother passing any of them on. Why should I when I've known for long time that it all gets removed anyway?

• Cool 2

Players
1,537 posts
6,446 battles
12 minutes ago, aboomination said:

I know there aren't many CV mains, but if only 10% of you guys create a separate topic on the forums, it won't serve the purpose of getting your point across to the devs :Smile-_tongue:

It was never meant for the Devs at all chap :cap_tea:

If they wanted actual CV players opinions or "points across" on anything, then they simply had to got onto the 34,000 view CV captain cabins thread instead. They never commented once.....Sums that one up nicely.

It's purely for the members of this community and my personal thanks and opinions of the old. Nothing more.

Players
175 posts
5,316 battles

Brilliant essay

:Smile_honoring:

CVs are a strategic multiplier, and anathema to lone wanderers because we look for stragglers. But I think some players overestimate what can be achieved on their behalf, because as you stated an alert player that knows what to expect can counter or mitigate much of what the CV can throw at them. And the opportunity cost of doing so.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,391 posts
8,709 battles
52 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

They never commented once

That's not how things work...it's the community manager's job to relay these infos to the devs. And their job doesn't become easier when there's dozens of threads :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,382 posts
13,789 battles
3 minutes ago, aboomination said:

And they're job doesn't become easier when there's dozens of threads

Not that they particularly care what we think, so their job remains the same either way.

• Cool 1

[WOTN]
Beta Tester
409 posts
5,002 battles

I once made a lengthy post asking WG to change CV play to make it more about strategy and less about action. They've gone and made it into a really weak WoWp clone. I guess there will be some market for that, but it does feel like the devs have thrown down the towel on elevating the game. And if they quit, I feel less motivated to keep playing too.

• Cool 1

Players
3,313 posts
5,751 battles
20 minutes ago, th3freakie said:

I once made a lengthy post asking WG to change CV play to make it more about strategy and less about action.

Its not like you have been the only one trying. Many people put a lot of efford and time into thinking ways to improve CV-gameplay for everybody by writing their hands bloody in this very forum. Am I surprised that none of those ideas (doesnt really matter at this point if they were good or bad) have made it into the game? Take a guess...

• Cool 1

Players
1,537 posts
6,446 battles
53 minutes ago, aboomination said:

That's not how things work...it's the community manager's job to relay these infos to the devs. And they're job doesn't become easier when there's dozens of threads :Smile-_tongue:

Oh, I forgot that mouse clicking and browsing pages contained within one website consists of a hard days work now-a-days, must make it easier for them next time  :cap_tea:.  Wouldn't want eye strain would we now.  But i suppose a job is a job and some people actually work for a living so fair play. 

Joking aside, it's not for the devs like i said mate. So to be brutally frank but honest, if they stubble in the dark across this then...I couldn't give a S***, just like their previous mentality towards CV players. I don't think anyone can argue against that fact.  I comment on the forums for us, the players of this game to mainly help other players with the game or give my opinions of ships or tactics. 

The ship has sailed already so nothing anyone can do now. He who pays the piper, picks the tunes regarding CM/Devs and my opinion of them.  I'm sure they are great lasses and guys, but who pays their wages?  Some of the things they have said over the years (or not said) must have been cringe worthy for them.  Saying one thing but believing another is a real test of integrity. 

GZ incident:

"Hey Dave, some very good CV players are telling us on the forums that the GZ is pants, is weak and wont work for a plethora of reasons. I think we need to change a few things before the release?" Dave the Dev replies "that nice love, now go make a cup of tea".

I'm not turning this into a spam or hate thread like so many, just a thank you. I've said my final peace already on the matter so time to move on.

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
656 posts
6,676 battles

wg doesn't get that making the cvs more viable might actually be the thing that throws this game into the sink

Players
1,537 posts
6,446 battles
12 hours ago, Flavio1997 said:

wg doesn't get that making the cvs more viable might actually be the thing that throws this game into the sink

I hope not mate. In my opinion, Old CV's were the last bastion of really studying a way to play and knowing thy enemy, if you know what i mean.  The one vs one ship class game and you need to not only deal with your opposite number, but also with the rest at the same time. Not just a bunch of ships clashing into eachother and shooting at what ever gives his broadside first, token RN cruiser or poor lit-up-like-a-Christmas-tree DD:Smile_teethhappy:

But even casual players will get bored of the new way if things get too repetitive and easy. I hope WG adds more meat to the bones, but to keep the skill gap closer, they really cant. 

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
656 posts
6,676 battles
1 hour ago, Redcap375 said:

I hope not mate. In my opinion, Old CV's were the last bastion of really studying a way to play and knowing thy enemy, if you know what i mean.  The one vs one ship class game and you need to not only deal with your opposite number, but also with the rest at the same time. Not just a bunch of ships clashing into eachother and shooting at what ever gives his broadside first, token RN cruiser or poor lit-up-like-a-Christmas-tree DD:Smile_teethhappy:

But even casual players will get bored of the new way if things get too repetitive and easy. I hope WG adds more meat to the bones, but to keep the skill gap closer, they really cant. 

ofc i get what you say, as a cv player myself. The problem that wg doesn't get is that cv's will always be the most hated class, because is the "coward class" that strikes you without you managing to strike back, and this will be even truer if planes reserves are infinite. But right now players don't yell too much because at lower tier there are only a buch of noobs, and at higher tier is only an annoyance that the avg joe will have to face everyo 15-20 games. If the class becomes more popular however.....we will see people riot, trust me.

p.s.: i will love when a 2 man unicum division with cvs will permaflood 4 ships in a single run ( the first force their dcp, the 2nd permaflood them) with tbs, then light up the enemy 4 dds with unavoidable rockets ( following the same path, and a  permafire on a dd is a death sentence, not for the damage, but because it makes you  visble from the moon for 30 secs)

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
569 posts
9,431 battles
12 hours ago, Flavio1997 said:

Interesting point. What if it gets to 3 CV's + 5 BB's per game meta?

I hope the CV rework makes the game more fun, but if it gets to 8 capital ships per side there is not enough room for the other ship classes.

[5D]
Players
473 posts
20,530 battles

Cvs are fine as they are now. All they had to do was fix some UI elements, look into AP bombs, provide some tutorials for new players (reflectively in depth tutorials) and then look at some of thee AA ships and find a way that they can't delete 20 planes in 3 seconds cough cough worscester. A complete overhaul was not necessary at all. 

• Cool 3

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,609 posts
5,132 battles
15 hours ago, Caurinus said:

A well written and thought through post about the oncoming CV change? Kudos to you good sir, well done. :cap_like:

Will repeat this to save me some typing :) 

[good post OP]

Players
1,537 posts
6,446 battles
1 minute ago, Mr_Snoww said:

Cvs are fine as they are now. All they had to do was fix some UI elements, look into AP bombs, provide some tutorials for new players (reflectively in depth tutorials) and then look at some of thee AA ships and find a way that they can't delete 20 planes in 3 seconds cough cough worscester. A complete overhaul was not necessary at all. 

And 90% of the current CV population know just where you are coming from and agree.  However, 5% isnt alot of voices with the remaining 95% screaming for blood.  Not everyone of course as some people do have unbiased views regardless of what class they play, but a high percentage of players don't.  

WG has had every opportunity to fix ALL of this, but haven't. They simply haven't.  One of the best CV players i've played against was @Farazelleth.  That guys KNOWS Cv's and nearly almost everything he has said i have agreed with regarding CV excluded from clans, Tactics and general CV play.....Not even WG listen to him so us peasants have no chance. 

CV's need to be more popular to make money.  WG, rightly or wrongly has came to the conclusion that this is the way of the force and you know what? It will.....I think it will work but that has never been my main issue.  It will have that quick fast action popcorn kinda gameplay that this game requires for their punters.  My main issue was that the skill was being dumbed down so much that the satisfaction would die out and this whole thing will turn out to be a short lived monster eventually being lynch mobbed by lite pickforks. 

Remember this is now console friendly too which is another quick win.

All we CV players can just do now is hop on board this experimental train and forget about the trains of the past.  I just hope that it has breaks, an inbuilt automatic sprinkler system and an emergency exit. 

42 minutes ago, Armorin said:

Interesting point. What if it gets to 3 CV's + 5 BB's per game meta?

I hope the CV rework makes the game more fun, but if it gets to 8 capital ships per side there is not enough room for the other ship classes.

We all do and hope it does become fun, however shorted lived it might be.  Alot of speculation at the moment so we simply cant tell for now.  

Like 2 unicom Clan members with good comms bulling a Shimmy to death with rockets and endless bombing runs that NEVER need to reload? Oh the rage if that comes to pass.

Sometimes it's better the devil you know

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
569 posts
9,431 battles
Just now, Redcap375 said:

Remember this is now console friendly too which is another quick win.

Which seems to be the main motivation for the change. Perhaps they want their slice of the console crowd connected to the same servers as the PC crowd. Otherwise fixing the old skool UI, and reducing a CV's influence by reducing the number of squads in the air with an AA rebalance would probably have worked just as well.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,057 posts
17,279 battles

The real problem was that CV had too much impact in a battle for a single ship. That had to go.

• Cool 2

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

@Redcap375 When I see your posts I make sure that I read them properly rather than skimming through them.

You have surpassed yourself in this thread - top quality comment. :Smile_honoring:

If it is any consolation, I can see all the classes being dumbed down in future in the name of making the game "more accessible" (a common theme of our times).

If Wargaming find a link between profits and dumbing down ...well it could become unrecognizable.

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
569 posts
9,431 battles
3 minutes ago, 22cm said:

The real problem was that CV had too much impact in a battle for a single ship. That had to go.

If the impact of the ship could be balanced, then taking a CV into a clan battle could be a choice.

[OCTO]
Players
625 posts
15,090 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

@Redcap375 When I see your posts I make sure that I read them properly rather than skimming through them.

You have surpassed yourself in this thread - top quality comment. :Smile_honoring:

If it is any consolation, I can see all the classes being dumbed down in future in the name of making the game "more accessible" (a common theme of our times).

If Wargaming find a link between profits and dumbing down ...well it could become unrecognizable.

But dear sir, this is well underway! Just consider that every single patch results in a simpler game. As OP said, CV was the last class that required the player to LEARN to play it. And that is what I will miss the most. Frankly, the new "CV" play (it is actually a pilot play) is complex as a game on a mobile phone.... 

After more than 10K random battles, for me the challenge that game offers is less and less. Campaigns and weekly missions are just a mindless grind,  with close to zero skill requirement. New lines are just full of silly gimmicks, the link to reality (or should I say a potential for immersion, rather....) is getting weaker and weaker. 

At the end, this game will be a simple shooter with glorious graphics. Sadly, WG seems to fail to understand that the audience they are targeting (i.e. players who couldn't be bothered to learn) are not always the ones that stay with game and that are willing to pay. The majority of the players would "muh duh shoot at ships" and then LEAVE when another glorious graphics game comes around. And the appeal to the hardcore players of this game will be less and less as it gets so dumbed down, that it doesn't offer a (mental) challenge anymore.

Maybe I am a bit pessimistic, but, I have (sadly) been right before.....

• Cool 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
656 posts
6,676 battles
3 hours ago, 22cm said:

and that could be fixed easily: cv are the only class of ship that have almost the same damage potentian from tier 4 to tier 10...and that is retarded.

us cvs has the same strike potential for tier 4 to tier 9 (1 tb squadron) that then doubles at tier 10

ijn cv have the same strike power from tier 4 to tier 8, and then you add 50% at tier 9-10

and above all: the torpedo damage remains the same from tier 4 to 10...that is the most retarded thing of all. 1 torp hits on a yamato does 4.6k of damage (5% of his hp pool), 1 torp hits on a wyoming  does 8.5k damage ( 20% of his hp). We asked wg to revisith this things since the 1st day of alpha...sigh

Sign in to follow this