You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
satoca1

Zao - New class cruiser : Featherweight cruiser

52 comments in this topic

Players
11 posts

Despite Zao being my favourite ship in terms of playstyle, I have had to give it up due to the constant nerfs it's had over the time and with the continuous introduction of new better equipped ships. It is supposed to be a heavy cruiser and yet it struggles even with light cruisers like the Worcester or Minotaur. When WOWS developers came up with this ship (and made up it is, as it does not reflect IJN philosophy of the time), it was built with one trick in mind - Inivisifire. Since then every advantage it had has been wiped out by many means. The only useful play now left for the Zao is distance firelighting and the occasional lucky break with a dd. I don't think the ZAO needs a buff. It needs a rethink as they have made the current one obsolete.

Looking forward to all the wise guys coming in with their "your stats" or "noob" or other cracking comments. Not interested in that. I would be interested in sensible comments about how other players do find Zao these days.

• Funny 6
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,597 posts
16,720 battles

Zao is plenty powerful. Could maybe use a small buff such as a second or two shaved off of her reload but otherwise she's fine.

• Cool 10

[_KTM_]
Beta Tester
109 posts
8,145 battles

I still think they should have just undone the nerfs they did back when stealthfire was a thing . 
Just give back it's 12 sec reload , the 44800 hp and remove the 12km torps , maybe give her 10km torps like on ibuki .

• Cool 7

[POI--]
Players
5,915 posts
7,229 battles

It cannot invisifire, but it can stealthtorp now. Only T10 cruiser that can do that. Zao also still has good ballistics and likely the next best AP broadside after Hindenburg and the new large cruisers (and Worchester/Minotaur at point-blank). Best HE broadside for sure.

I'm pretty sure Zao was one of the new strong picks last season of CB because of its good concealment, stealth torp ability and overally decent kiting abilities and I'd not see it as a bad ship. 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,597 posts
16,720 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

Only T10 cruiser that can do that.

Minotaur frowns upon your lack of ingame knowledge.

Spoiler

:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[POI--]
Players
5,915 posts
7,229 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Minotaur frowns upon your lack of ingame knowledge.

Reveal hidden contents

:Smile_trollface:

Ok. Zao still does it better and isn't just one huge citadel, imo.

[SCRUB]
Players
5,567 posts
11,257 battles
24 minutes ago, satoca1 said:

Looking forward to all the wise guys coming in with their "your stats" or "noob"

Your stats, noob

ewggwee.jpg

• Funny 13
  • Boring 1

[TTT]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

Zao weak and obsolete? Yeah right... it just needs a few braincells to play it. Zao is a fantastic assassin - fantastic AP to oneshot cruisers with, HE to murder DDs, superb torpedoes, the combination of all three means it's amazing at dealing with BBs no matter the situation, and it's got the concealment to use them to boot. One just needs to not be stupid enough to play it like your typical longrange HE spam Hindenburger...

• Cool 2

Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles

I feel that the French and Japanese cruiser lines shine when they are working together with other classes. Someone spotting the DD, stacking fires on targets hit before, etc. If you play them solo you just become a selfish damage farmer and don't really contribute anything in the sense of removing enemy ships from the team. It takes too long for the damage to eat away at the enemy. There is nothing wrong with the power of the Zao itself IMO

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,109 posts
5,022 battles
1 hour ago, satoca1 said:

It is supposed to be a heavy cruiser and yet it struggles even with light cruisers like the Worcester or Minotaur. 

Why?
With HE you do a lot of damage versus such cruisers and when they are broadside you can do a lot of citadels due the dispersion and decent AP shells Zao has.

I do like Zao a lot and it was also the first T10 cruiser I got on this server, mainly because it is a good allrounder. It can help DDs out, because it has awesome concealment, you can kite away and go dark when it gets a bit hot under your feet.
You can also area denial with those fantastic torpedoes; with either the 8km torpedoes or 12km torpedoes.

No, nothing wrong with the ship itself, but we gladly help you to improve. You could always leave a replay of a typical battle.

1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Zao is plenty powerful. Could maybe use a small buff such as a second or two shaved off of her reload but otherwise she's fine.

I don't think she needs any buffs. 

[BBMM]
Players
4,128 posts
4,647 battles

I don't have it, nor do I play that tier. But I have US light cruisers, and I see the 'problem'.

The real problem is that heavy cruisers think they can beat light cruisers.

Forgetting they have the same sort of crappy armour... just heavier guns.

Yeah a heavy cruiser can one-shot my broadside light cruiser.

I'll just three- or four shot that broadside heavy cruiser then, LOL.

Guess who is going to win... I'd not bet on the one giving broadside.

Players
927 posts
8,496 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Zao weak and obsolete? Yeah right... it just needs a few braincells to play it. Zao is a fantastic assassin - fantastic AP to oneshot cruisers with, HE to murder DDs, superb torpedoes, the combination of all three means it's amazing at dealing with BBs no matter the situation, and it's got the concealment to use them to boot. One just needs to not be stupid enough to play it like your typical longrange HE spam Hindenburger...

those torps are also very useful when dealing with the Gearing+2 Woosters combo. One of SCRUBs, i think it was @Aotearas, used them to wreck 2 Woosters sitting in smoke. 

Also, get summoned Ao. :Smile_trollface:

[STARS]
Beta Tester
132 posts
14,284 battles
1 hour ago, satoca1 said:

Despite Zao being my favourite ship in terms of playstyle, I have had to give it up due to the constant nerfs it's had over the time and with the continuous introduction of new better equipped ships. It is supposed to be a heavy cruiser and yet it struggles even with light cruisers like the Worcester or Minotaur. When WOWS developers came up with this ship (and made up it is, as it does not reflect IJN philosophy of the time), it was built with one trick in mind - Inivisifire. Since then every advantage it had has been wiped out by many means. The only useful play now left for the Zao is distance firelighting and the occasional lucky break with a dd. I don't think the ZAO needs a buff. It needs a rethink as they have made the current one obsolete.

Looking forward to all the wise guys coming in with their "your stats" or "noob" or other cracking comments. Not interested in that. I would be interested in sensible comments about how other players do find Zao these days.

Hahaha.

No.

Zao is very good and don't broadside.

[JRM]
Players
3,019 posts
18,303 battles

Would be nice to either have a bit more range (so you can kit reload mod) or a bit faster reload (kit range mod) but with either of those and her insane fire chance it probabbly would be completely OP, zao is a great cruiser, fun as well

[STARS]
Beta Tester
132 posts
14,284 battles
3 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Would be nice to either have a bit more range (so you can kit reload mod) or a bit faster reload (kit range mod) but with either of those and her insane fire chance it probabbly would be completely OP, zao is a great cruiser, fun as well

The Legendary module is quite nice; 8% more range, -7% max. dispersion and -20% to rudder shift. Reload is still on the slow side, but the Zao has 12 rifles to fire, so you can compensate that (besides the high alpha and fire % chance)

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,797 battles
58 minutes ago, DJ_Die said:

those torps are also very useful when dealing with the Gearing+2 Woosters combo. One of SCRUBs, i think it was @Aotearas, used them to wreck 2 Woosters sitting in smoke. 

Also, get summoned Ao. :Smile_trollface:

I have been summoned, state your wish and I shall gran- ... oh, it's you again.

And yes I recall that one CB match, I think it was against AAO or AONO (one of those two). Those 12km torps are murderous.

Zao is a pretty damn strong cruiser especially after she got the 12km torps which make her a real nightmare to try and push against if the Zao player knows how to kite and use his concealment rather than just fling HE at max range all game long. It's true she isn't the toughest ship of the bunch but the overall versatility in gameplay options is imho second to none.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[BGBRD]
Players
322 posts
9,762 battles

Zao weak???WTF???? April 1th was more then tree mouths ago... oh this isnt a joke... well l2p I guess.

[POI--]
Players
5,915 posts
7,229 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I don't have it, nor do I play that tier. But I have US light cruisers, and I see the 'problem'.

The real problem is that heavy cruisers think they can beat light cruisers.

Forgetting they have the same sort of crappy armour... just heavier guns.

Yeah a heavy cruiser can one-shot my broadside light cruiser.

I'll just three- or four shot that broadside heavy cruiser then, LOL.

Guess who is going to win... I'd not bet on the one giving broadside.

While Worchester can be a pain in the a** of any CA (not really because of the AP though), I'd think it'd be good to not generalise that on a general level, because it's ridiculous and I frankly think that making any claim about knowing the real problem in a debate on Zao is pretty silly when you are all the way up to Dallas so far. 

Beta Tester
237 posts
17,917 battles

Zao is not weak. But it has still rights to get back the lost 4400 HP.

Hard to believe that a cruiser with such heavy armorment has only 40800 HP. Maybe it is made of titanium or aluminium?

[SM0KE]
Players
3,417 posts
8,853 battles

I don't own Zao, but I'm quite often on the naughty end of them (as a DD main) - they certainly seem to be a serious threat, at least to my two T10 DDs, and assuming the driver is competent...

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
4 hours ago, satoca1 said:

Despite Zao being my favourite ship in terms of playstyle, I have had to give it up due to the constant nerfs it's had over the time and with the continuous introduction of new better equipped ships. It is supposed to be a heavy cruiser and yet it struggles even with light cruisers like the Worcester or Minotaur.

"Heavy cruiser" doesn't mean "she beats light cruisers easily". Light cruisers tend to have (vastly) superior DPM and if you manage to get yourself into a DPM race with a light cruiser, woe for you. Also, recently Zao received a big buff in the form of 12km torpedoes - so that now you can reliably stealthtorp if need be. They don't make you into a DD but their usefulness went through the roof compared to the old 8km ones.

When WOWS developers came up with this ship (and made up it is, as it does not reflect IJN philosophy of the time), it was built with one trick in mind - Inivisifire.

Not really.

Since then every advantage it had has been wiped out by many means. The only useful play now left for the Zao is distance firelighting and the occasional lucky break with a dd.

So... you're saying that she's still doing the same things, with or without invisifiring? :cap_hmm:

I don't think the ZAO needs a buff. It needs a rethink as they have made the current one obsolete.

Doesn't seem obsolete in the slightest, though...

Plenty fun and performing reasonably well.

A buff would be nice, though... Why? Well, who doesn't want buffs to their favourite ships :Smile_trollface: