Sign in to follow this  
affondalaflotta

Strategies

11 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
1,412 battles

As a Newbie (and I undoubtedly am one!) I often get scolded for noob playing, but nobody seems willing to offer sensible tips during battles (i  know, there is little time to deliver lectures). As a war buff (history teacher) i am puzzled when i see all ships seemingly moving on their own and see somebody scoffing about "bunch of m***ns and so on. What are the more commonly applied strategies? Should't we form a battle line with BB on the van and go in single line across the map shattering the other party or meeting them also lined up in orderly fashion? why DD don't form wolf packs and stay on the lee of the line waiting to plunge on isolated crippled ship? when I heard of Strategies these are the most frequent question i think about. Can someone give me some insights?

• Funny 2

Players
0 posts
Edited by Rusty_9

[CATS]
Players
19,953 posts
12,415 battles

I suggest to take a look at the map strategies.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/forum/498-maps/

All maps play a bit different. There are also some youtube videos.

You should also consider that tactics differentiate depending on the ship you sail, your opponents and game types.

• Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,432 posts
8,886 battles

@affondalaflotta Firstly, I wouldn't worry too much about what most people say in the in-game chat; much of the time, it's insufficiently priapic people who are annoyed because they just did something stupid with their own positioning, or they're just in a sulk because everyone ignored their 'brilliant game-winning strategies'. If anyone is particularly annoying, black/report them.

That said, there are plenty of sensible stratagems you can usefully apply to WOWS; however, close adherence to historical naval strategy will often be coincidental!

I would start by looking at some YouTube videos, covering off the basics (you may find you already know at least some of it, but it's still worth reprising the basics just to be sure); iChase is not a bad starting point, for example: https://www.youtube.com/user/ichasegaming 

If you're playing randoms, there is a good chance that a lot of what you are seeing is to do with people not having much of an idea what they should really be doing - you're up to T4 so far, so you're in a tier area where the proportion of people who are still learning the ropes is quite high; even at higher tiers though, there are still plenty of less skilled players running around (guilty!). In an ideal world, people would coordinate a lot more, but in practice, most people are just playing for themselves. You can play in divisions, which increases the likelihood of effective cooperation (which goes at least double if you have voice comms).

In general, the best you can hope for is that people at least have a rough sense of what their ship/class is supposed to be doing:

• DDs: spot, and cap (mainly); ruin people's day with torps, if possible, but not at the expense of the first two. Once their protective screen is gone/mitigated, DDs can tear BBs a new posterior with their torps.
  • Cruisers: second line, usually closely supporting the DDs (not too close though - citadels will kill you); exact detail varies with specific ships e.g. RN CAs will be behaving rather differently to, say, Russians. All cruisers tend to be squishy though, so a lot of hiding behind islands/in smoke will be in order. Cruisers are death to DDs, and should be played as such. If/when CVs start to return (post rework), cruisers will most likely be the primary AA class; in theory they are now, but there are so few CVs about that this is a bit moot much of the time.
  • BBs: they *should* be supporting caps, trying to blap cruisers (and DDs if they get the chance) - especially those with radar, and tanking damage; they shouldn't be driving in straight lines at a constant speed. This class seems to be especially prone to being played by the hopeless, so you'll see a lot camp at the back/run for the borders and try and engage at maximum range, whilst not leveraging their massive hp pools/heals. Positioning is key with these things - extend too far, and you get sunk very quickly; too far back and your hp/heals are worthless (and you won't do much damage with the woeful accuracy the class has).

Exactly what this all translates to in specific games will depend on all sorts of stuff e.g. which map, which game mode, is your ship top/bottom/mid tier, how many radars, does the enemy have specifically threatening ships, and so on.

So, I've just spent several paragraphs not really answering your question! The specifics will come with experience; you can get that experience faster by joining a teaching clan (or any clan with people happy to teach), watching lots of videos, and simply playing as much as possible (when playing, if you die early, switch your view to other players who you judge to be sensible, and watch what they do - it may be useful, even if only in a "don't do this" sort of way). Also, have a look at the wiki (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships); besides all the info about specific ships, the sections on game mechanics (vision, especially) will help you a lot.

• Cool 1

Players
1,777 posts
4,482 battles
52 minutes ago, affondalaflotta said:

Should't we form a battle line with BB on the van and go in single line across the map shattering the other party or meeting them also lined up in orderly fashion? why DD don't form wolf packs and stay on the lee of the line waiting to plunge on isolated crippled ship?

The long and short of it is:

This is a video game and thus technically correct and historically accurate strategies typically don't work.

I mean, there are several dozen different ways this game is not historically accurate (radar, hydro and AA go through islands, for example) and hence you shouldn't expect the old strategies to work.

Also, the examples you've listed require a level of teamwork that just doesn't exist in random battles with anonymous people online.

If you want to play strategies, consider joining a clan - T10 clan battles will really put your strategies to the test.

• Cool 2

Players
17 posts
1,412 battles
Alle 4/9/2018 alle 18:16, Verblonde ha scritto:

"people not having much of an idea what they should really be doing"

That's quite the understatement Sir!:cap_like:

I just happened to be rammed TWICE in the same battle by two different "allies". Give me enemies like that...

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,432 posts
8,886 battles
20 minutes ago, affondalaflotta said:

I just happened to be rammed TWICE in the same battle by two different "allies".

Aye, that'll happen quite a lot - leaving aside blithering idiots, much of the time it's people manoeuvering hard, often to avoid torps, or some other imminent threat (taking eyes off the mini-map and their surroundings as they do so).

On the up-side, at least the damage done is modest (certainly compared to ramming an enemy ship, which will often sink both of you)!

• Cool 1

Players
17 posts
1,412 battles
34 minuti fa, Verblonde ha scritto:

leaving aside blithering idiots

I  maintain those two were though. Thank you for your most illuminating post anyway. I feel already I'm doing better lately. Although the transition from St Louis to South Carolina is a bit rough. 

• Cool 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
842 posts
24 minutes ago, affondalaflotta said:

I  maintain those two were though. Thank you for your most illuminating post anyway. I feel already I'm doing better lately. Although the transition from St Louis to South Carolina is a bit rough. 

Yeah. They are slow. But they turn rather quickly. Range isn't that much either. Gets better when u can put on range equipment.

For me the first real gem on that BB line is the Taco Bell (New Mexico). I still have mine. She is just brute force. I usually run speedflags on them....yes, I know...but less slow is less slow.

Tier 8,9 and 10 are fantastic.

Players
2,109 posts
15,301 battles
Am 4.9.2018 um 17:43, affondalaflotta sagte:

Should't we form a battle line with BB on the van and go in single line across the map shattering the other party or meeting them also lined up in orderly fashion?

As far as I understand it, battle lines of capital ships can't be done in this game because of two reasons, which are probably interconnected and actually form a single causal complex: the hit rate is much, much higher in these battles condensed into max 20 minutes than it ever was historically and the ships are not to scale. I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that the ships are actually about 2.6 times bigger than in reality, which in turn can of course also be interpreted as much shorter battle distances and much higher speeds than are shown, which in turn leads to the much higher hit rates, which in turn are needed because this is supposed to be a fun game and not a bloody war. Battles would be super boring if a chase was drawn out over a whole afternoon of mostly repositioning and just occasionally firing the odd broadside. (If you ever get the chance, watch Das Boot as a mini series instead of the trimmed down cinematic version... but I digress..)

Anyway, that is also the reason it is a cardinal sin in this game to give broadside, that "crossing the T" in this game is usually a very bad move, and that you should usually try to angle your armour when there is an increased chance of getting shot at.

Zitat

why DD don't form wolf packs and stay on the lee of the line waiting to plunge on isolated crippled ship?

They are the fastest and stealthiest ships, so they are needed for scouting and capping, their main tasks. If they don't perform these, there is a very high probability of their team losing. You don't really notice how vital these functions are and how badly the other ship classes are suited to them until you get paired up with really bad DDs who just don't do it properly, or even get rolled into a match entirely without DDs. CVs can and should of course do the scouting role but still.

Depending on the map and tier, DD packs do form, especially on the Big Race map where there is usually a fight for the western channel. But that is a very small map so other ships usually also get involved fairly soon. Often, the role of dispatching crippled ships is fulfilled by high DPM cruisers instead, simply because of the damage mechanics (even ships with almost no hitpoints left can often still run full speed and shoot most if not all of their guns) and because they are more efficient at it.

Also sometimes you get DD divisions and if they know their stuff, they can be absolutely brutal. (Usually they aren't because they don't.)

Sign in to follow this