You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CapitanHarlock98

IJN Yamato Armour

162 comments in this topic

Players
101 posts
3,283 battles

Good morning everyone

My name is CapitanHarlock98 a world of warships player.

I am here today on this forum to talk and highlight a "flaw" I encountered in the game.

The flaw in question, as we understand from the title, concerns the armour of the IJN Yamato, or rather its citadel and its fragility to the cannon blows of the other ships.

I'm going to explain myself better:

I took the Yamato for about 4-5 months, and along with its beautiful features (the power of the main artillery and anti-aircraft defence) I also found flaws in this ship that I now go to list:

1) The citadel too exposed that makes this ship fragile to any type of blow coming from any direction. I can actually say that any blow (either armoured or cruiser) hits the armour from any angle of fire can also damage the ship exaggerated. The other day I received a trip from a Tirpitz and hit the armour. I was at a distance of about 15-16km. I had the bow of the ship facing the enemy ship but the blow managed to provoke me 20000 of damage, even if it did not directly hit the armour (of facts to hit the armour almost smeared).

Now I know very well that you can not expect an invincible armour that is not affected by any blow, but here we are at the opposite extreme

2) The exaggerated ease with which it catches fire: I noticed that the bullets HE fired from other ships manage too easily to cause fires on the ship, which in this way is weakened and destroyed. Now I understand very well that the main purpose of these bullets is that, but I think it is absurd that a ship catches fire almost immediately and turns into a sort of walking bonfire.

3) Weakness in general of armour: this is mainly connected to the discourse on the citadel but also examines the rest of the armour. During the battles with the Yamato I found myself being hit by any direction. Certainly, I know that you should not expose the side of the ship, a critical place where if you hit the citadel you can halve or completely destroy the boat, but when you turn that side is still exposed even if for a short time. But I noticed that any blow came to me, that hit the superstructure, the stern of the ship where there are catapults for airplanes, the bow in front of the first tower, the bridge near the AA batteries etc ... caused extensive damage. In this way it becomes very difficult to use this ship that in practice does not have an armour of iron and steel but of butter or almost.

These are the flaws I noticed.

Initially to understand why the Yamato was so fragile I went to see on the site and I read that the Japanese ships were designed as "sniping" ships, that is, ships that are only good for long distances, thanks to their artillery, and for this reason they are equipped with a not too resistant armour (which contradicts the explanation of the ship's history on the game).

I honestly think this does not make any sense since in reality these ships were good for both long and medium distances. The Yamato then excelled in this visa that had been endowed with a very resistant armour.

Seeing over the other battleships during the battles (Kurfust, Montana etc ..) I noticed that they are much more resistant than Yamato, and this puts the net disadvantage.

Now I understand that you can not expect an invincible ship (nobody would like it) that it is not damaged by anything and that it resists anything, but here we are at the other extreme.

I also know very well that this is not a game that is totally based on reality and therefore does not perfectly follow the ships, but from here to transform a battleship like that in a ship so weak it seems exaggerated.

Having said this and after explaining my motivations I now go to explain my proposal.

In this forum I would like to suggest an improvement of the Yamato that would include a different positioning of the citadel, so that it is less exposed, a strengthening of the armour not exaggerated but enough to avoid exaggerated damage, and a small decrease in the probability of fire on this ship.

Now I do not want the ship to become invincible, but only to be so strong as to prevent any bullets hitting the ship in any position causing exaggerated damage.

Then if naturally the bullet hits the citadel then I do not say anything because that is a vital point and therefore it is right that it causes the right damages, but at least it is not so damn easy to hit it.

This is my proposal, I hope you can understand it. If you have any questions or want to talk, I'm happy to answer you and discuss civilly and calmly my idea.

P.S I apologize if there are any possible grammatical errors in the text, but I am not English and I have used a translator to write the text. If you have any doubt or if there is something unclear, ask me and I will answer immediately.

Thank you very much for the attention.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Beta Tester
2,886 posts
10,763 battles

There is a weak spot under the first turret. It can only be penetrated if you show too much side to use all your guns. So at less than 10km, only use your front guns if you are not comfortable with the enemy reload. 

At ranges like 15km, it is usually safe enough to stay at an angle where you are just able to use all your guns. But never show too much side. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

TLDR advice: Use front turrets only and don't use the rears unless you are sure you're safe from enemy BB AP.

Face your opponents head on.

You'll find then that Yam armour is more than up to the task...

Players
4,496 posts
8,202 battles
10 minutes ago, CapitanHarlock98 said:

In this forum I would like to suggest an improvement of the Yamato that would include a different positioning of the citadel, so that it is less exposed, a strengthening of the armour not exaggerated but enough to avoid exaggerated damage, and a small decrease in the probability of fire on this ship.

The thing is: originaly, BBs had an exposed citadel, but recently, WG seems to think, it shouldnt be that way. Now there are that people, that think, its wrong that BBs have things like turtle-back and underwater-citadels and then there are people like you, that want this on every BB. But making it harder to score citadels on BBs is shafting cruisers again. A Yamato is one of the few things I can actually brawl down with a Moskva close combat exactly due to her Citadel. My personal opinion: Every BB should take hits to the citadel if they eff-up. Which would be going the other direction then you suggest.

Anyway, there are ways to work around the weakness of Yamato. Dont show broadside, find good positions and learn to angle are the three most important.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,540 posts
16,660 battles
11 minutes ago, CapitanHarlock98 said:

1) The citadel too exposed

Wrong. The citadel of other BBs is underexposed.

As such to fix this would be to raise all BB citadels to the level of the Yamato citadel or at least similar to it, but meh, who am I kidding?

2) The exaggerated ease with which it catches fire

Being a T10 BB Yamato is one of the most fire resistant ships in the game.

Also ships burned when hit. A lot. This is not unrealistic.

3) Weakness in general of armour

Simply untrue. If you take damaging hits in a Yamato you would likely do so in every other BB.

• Cool 10
  • Bad 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
5 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

There is a weak spot under the first turret. It can only be penetrated if you show too much side to use all your guns. So at less than 10km, only use your front guns if you are not comfortable with the enemy reload. 

At ranges like 15km, it is usually safe enough to stay at an angle where you can just use all your guns. 

Yam is easier to protect in Ranked than Random Battles as you face less enemy BB...

I'm still a bit jittery at giving the rear turret altho you can wiggle vs a single enemy target. Yam agility is OK for a ship of it's size!

All BB should have a similar vulnerability with the magazine citadel. Would teach people to play more thoughtfully.

Beta Tester
2,886 posts
10,763 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Simply untrue. If you take damaging hits in a Yamato you would likely do so in every other BB.

It is even more tanky against the majority of HE penetrations. 

And the massive armor belt can be super strong at long range, even when you show much side. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
6,507 posts
7,482 battles

Has played Yamato only in Coop, and asks for buffs :cap_fainting:

Imagine him playing Yamato in Randoms :cap_fainting::cap_fainting:

Dont really like doing that, but you cant build an arguement from just playing Coop. Its already easymode. If yamato was that bad, noone would play it in Random battles.

I rather give you advice playing Coop than playing Yamato: Dont rush blindly in, your survivalrate is pretty low for Coop.

Learn that first, after that learn to play Yamato.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles

Tl/DR:

32 minutes ago, CapitanHarlock98 said:

Now I do not want the ship to become invincible, but only to be so strong as to prevent any bullets hitting the ship in any position causing exaggerated damage.

Players
579 posts
5,038 battles

Yamatoo is imho the best designed bb in game:

Rewards good aim with it low dispersion, high pen

Puishes bad aim by low number of shells - your chance to "hit something by mass" is lower than in other BBs

Rewards good positioning - tanky if doing it right

Punishes bad positioning - show weakspot? Die potatoe

Every BB in game should be like yamatoo ....

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
5,566 posts
11,223 battles
47 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

bbbingo.jpg.b1e02c814e535972c1dca8172b74

We need to fill them with new ones as the old ones are done.

A lot of these have already been addressed  :cap_hmm:

img.memecdn.com-1621752893657377.jpg

[HEROZ]
Players
764 posts
6,759 battles
52 minutes ago, Wings_of_RNGesus said:

Yamatoo is imho the best designed bb in game:

Rewards good aim with it low dispersion, high pen

Puishes bad aim by low number of shells - your chance to "hit something by mass" is lower than in other BBs

Rewards good positioning - tanky if doing it right

Punishes bad positioning - show weakspot? Die potatoe

Every BB in game should be like yamatoo ....

Every BB has a weakness.

Yamato - exposed citadel.

Conqueror - torpedoes + 32mm all around

Republique - 32mm all around

Kurfurst - bad turret angles, low range,

Montana - here I actually dont know... Citadel maybe...

[-AP-]
Players
1,837 posts
4,576 battles
11 minutes ago, Oderisson said:

Every BB has a weakness.

Yeah, but in addition to their national weakness, they should ALL have exposed citadels, especially since that wont change their balance to cruisers all that much, since they will mostly be citing each other, it will just make them reward good play more. 

[THESO]
[THESO]
2,126 posts
7,118 battles

15km away tirpitz,

bow on yamato

20K hit..

would you be offended If I tell that "I don't believe you?"

any replay may be?

because If you ask me..

that scenario above is impossible

• Cool 2

Players
4,496 posts
8,202 battles
7 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

15km away tirpitz,

bow on yamato

20K hit..

would you be offended If I tell that "I don't believe you?"

On a somewhat different note: Yesterday a Tirpitz shredded me while in Duke of York (yea its not a Yamato I know). Me angled he flat broadside. After two salvos and his secondaries I was roughly 40k down. It was ~10 km. So after the round I went to check the detailed damage report to see how that was possible. That guy hit 16 shells with 2 salvos. Into my nose. With a Derpitz. I was like :cap_wander:

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
2 hours ago, CapitanHarlock98 said:

Good morning everyone

My name is CapitanHarlock98 a world of warships player.

Nice to see you are able to state the obvious, as per the thread creator, and being in a forum about a video game, I can hardly wait to see what other gems of wisdom you are going to provide.

2 hours ago, CapitanHarlock98 said:
Spoiler

I am here today on this forum to talk and highlight a "flaw" I encountered in the game.

The flaw in question, as we understand from the title, concerns the armour of the IJN Yamato, or rather its citadel and its fragility to the cannon blows of the other ships.

I'm going to explain myself better:

I took the Yamato for about 4-5 months, and along with its beautiful features (the power of the main artillery and anti-aircraft defence) I also found flaws in this ship that I now go to list:

1) The citadel too exposed that makes this ship fragile to any type of blow coming from any direction. I can actually say that any blow (either armoured or cruiser) hits the armour from any angle of fire can also damage the ship exaggerated. The other day I received a trip from a Tirpitz and hit the armour. I was at a distance of about 15-16km. I had the bow of the ship facing the enemy ship but the blow managed to provoke me 20000 of damage, even if it did not directly hit the armour (of facts to hit the armour almost smeared).

Now I know very well that you can not expect an invincible armour that is not affected by any blow, but here we are at the opposite extreme

2) The exaggerated ease with which it catches fire: I noticed that the bullets HE fired from other ships manage too easily to cause fires on the ship, which in this way is weakened and destroyed. Now I understand very well that the main purpose of these bullets is that, but I think it is absurd that a ship catches fire almost immediately and turns into a sort of walking bonfire.

3) Weakness in general of armour: this is mainly connected to the discourse on the citadel but also examines the rest of the armour. During the battles with the Yamato I found myself being hit by any direction. Certainly, I know that you should not expose the side of the ship, a critical place where if you hit the citadel you can halve or completely destroy the boat, but when you turn that side is still exposed even if for a short time. But I noticed that any blow came to me, that hit the superstructure, the stern of the ship where there are catapults for airplanes, the bow in front of the first tower, the bridge near the AA batteries etc ... caused extensive damage. In this way it becomes very difficult to use this ship that in practice does not have an armour of iron and steel but of butter or almost.

These are the flaws I noticed.

Initially to understand why the Yamato was so fragile I went to see on the site and I read that the Japanese ships were designed as "sniping" ships, that is, ships that are only good for long distances, thanks to their artillery, and for this reason they are equipped with a not too resistant armour (which contradicts the explanation of the ship's history on the game).

I honestly think this does not make any sense since in reality these ships were good for both long and medium distances. The Yamato then excelled in this visa that had been endowed with a very resistant armour.

Seeing over the other battleships during the battles (Kurfust, Montana etc ..) I noticed that they are much more resistant than Yamato, and this puts the net disadvantage.

Now I understand that you can not expect an invincible ship (nobody would like it) that it is not damaged by anything and that it resists anything, but here we are at the other extreme.

I also know very well that this is not a game that is totally based on reality and therefore does not perfectly follow the ships, but from here to transform a battleship like that in a ship so weak it seems exaggerated.

Having said this and after explaining my motivations I now go to explain my proposal.

Then if naturally the bullet hits the citadel then I do not say anything because that is a vital point and therefore it is right that it causes the right damages, but at least it is not so damn easy to hit it.

This is my proposal, I hope you can understand it. If you have any questions or want to talk, I'm happy to answer you and discuss civilly and calmly my idea.

P.S I apologize if there are any possible grammatical errors in the text, but I am not English and I have used a translator to write the text. If you have any doubt or if there is something unclear, ask me and I will answer immediately.

Thank you very much for the attention.

How would you know? You have played 100 coop games on her, hardly a sense of how it works at all.

Try learning the game, usually helps to avoid posting asinine stuff like the OP.

• Funny 1

[DAVY]
Players
1,928 posts
10,716 battles

and he's only ever played co-op in the Yammy... must be those cheating bots again...

[CATS]
Players
19,820 posts
12,377 battles

He wins only 85% of the matches in his Yammy, must be tough. Nobody would want to face these odds. The ship clearly needs some help :Smile_playing:

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,744 posts
7,207 battles
59 minutes ago, Oderisson said:

Every BB has a weakness.

For Montana, the Citadel is very easy to hit under turret A-B at close range. And the belt is nowhere near as thick as Yamato, a close enough Zao can get multiple citadel hits.

Also, the armor scheme is very simplistic compared to other tier 10 BB, which makes it actually more vulnerable to Yamato than the others.

Overall Montana is a jack of all trade-master of none ship however. Armor scheme is good but not impressive. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
41 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

On a somewhat different note: Yesterday a Tirpitz shredded me while in Duke of York (yea its not a Yamato I know). Me angled he flat broadside. After two salvos and his secondaries I was roughly 40k down. It was ~10 km. So after the round I went to check the detailed damage report to see how that was possible. That guy hit 16 shells with 2 salvos. Into my nose. With a Derpitz. I was like :cap_wander:

DoY doesn't have the magic 32mm bow so has no frontal immunity zones. 

32mm bows autobounce all 16" AP or smaller when completely bow in facing said gun.

All T8+ BB either bow tanked or slightly angled will take huge amounts of AP abuse. Often for zero damage. 

13 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

For Montana, the Citadel is very easy to hit under turret A-B at close range. And the belt is nowhere near as thick as Yamato, a close enough Zao can get multiple citadel hits.

Also, the armor scheme is very simplistic compared to other tier 10 BB, which makes it actually more vulnerable to Yamato than the others.

Overall Montana is a jack of all trade-master of none ship however. Armor scheme is good but not impressive. 

I got Rank 1 last season with Monty due to her all round ability.

Think it might be different this season simply due to LM Yam as the extra Yam accuracy changes the meta quite drastically if you ask me as you gain the ability to smash most stuff reliability at almost all ranges.

Players
4,496 posts
8,202 battles
2 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

DoY doesn't have the magic 32mm bow so has no frontal immunity zones. 

32mm bows autobounce all 16" AP or smaller when completely bow in facing said gun.

All T8+ BB either bow tanked or slightly angled will take huge amounts of AP abuse. Often for zero damage.

Yea I know. The point was more, that the Tirpitz managed to score 16 out of 16 shells. I really had no other option then to go bow on into him - we needed that cap and our team was busy putting up tents and roasting marshmellows on the shore behind me, in the cover of the islands.