Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
TrigJegman

Submarines

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2 posts
3,590 battles

A suggestion for submarines, it's not a big and complete idea but it's a start.

Subs start at the same tier(IV) as carriers and can never matchmake to a tier lower than the sub being played.

this is to prevent "sealclubbing" at the bottom tiers.  (i know tier IV is not high tier)

Mechanic sugestion

subs must run in surfacemode to charge the batteries so they can dive, divetime depends on the charge gathered on the surface.

divetime should be a recharge not a consumable ( cap it at 4 or 5 min for a max charge). maybe ad a slow battery decay ?

To dive, the submarine should take 5 deconds(depending on sub tier), maybe ad a skill to lower it by x% ?

For ease of gameplay there is no deapth of dive controls, unless you are using the Crash dive consumable to go deep. (you nerver "bottom out")

Unless detected by Hydro search a sub under water remains invisible. (can even go under ships)

"Sneak Mode" stationary and submerged (time depends on charge gathered) with the periscope up you only have a 1km detection range

on your submarine, but you can spot enemy ships at your leisure. (locked into First person mode? so it doesn't got too OP?)

On the surface submarines have a comparable detection range to destroyers but a much more limited gun capacity, both in terms of

deck cannons and AA. Can still launch torpedos in surface mode (naturaly).

Standard and Deepwater torpedos can hit submarine in dive mode but only Deepwater torpedos can hit submarine in Crashdive mode.

Sub only consumable

Crash dive: fast (3sec or lower?) and deep dive to avoid deapth charges and gunfire, crash dive puts the sub as low as it can go so there are drawbacks.

charges:1 (or2?)           cost:20% of current health (crash dive never kills you)

duration: equal to same tier destroyer smokescreen.

TO DEEP TO LAUNCH TORPEDOS??

Health

same as equal tier destroyer

Torpedo damage

Tier V example, Nicholas — American Tier V destroyer      11733

Bogue — American Tier V aircraft сarrier.   9867

Suggested tier V American submarine torp damage          10800   (should be alright to do this due to limited launch tubes, maybe 2 front tubes with british cruiser single drop?.)

Suggested range: NEVER more than 4,5KM (maybe 5km)

Ship Speed

Historical (tweak as necessary)

Submarine countermeasures

Hydroacoustic search can get a small submarine only detection range buff (500m more than surface ships?), ad a classic "ping" sound when a submarine is detected in hydro search range

(submarine should also hear the "ping" of sonar detection, could be a skill for sub captain "keen ear"?)

destroyer and cruiser(maybe only some cruisers?) consumable anti sub minefield. (replace smokescreen or speed boost?)

destroyer and cruiser(maybe only some cruisers?) consumable sonar buoy (with a battery timer so it's not infinate, basically a stationary hydro search with a longer timer)

Deep water Torpedos can hit a sub in crash dive mode.

Deapth charges work like Secondary Armament auto fire?

Anti-submarine Mortar (The Hedgehog) British Royal Navy only?

PREMIUM SUBMARINES

French submarine Surcouf

Surcouf had a twin-gun turret with 203 mm (8-inch) guns, the same calibre as that of a heavy cruiser

She had a spotter plane onboard, and was also armed with torpedos

HMS M1 was a submarine of the British Royal Navy, M1 was fitted with a 12-inch (305mm) gun which was intended for use against surface ships in preference to torpedoes.

She had bow torpedo tubes. (only 4)

The I-400-class submarine Imperial Japanese Navy.

They were submarine aircraft carriers able to carry three Aichi M6A Seiran aircraft underwater to their destinations.

They were designed to surface, launch their planes, then quickly dive again before they were discovered. They also carried torpedoes for close-range combat.

(would possibly work well with the new Carrier remake, considering the 3 plane dive and launch attacks seen on the stream)

(could ad in game refit of weapons on the planes while in the hangars, switch from torps to rockets,bombs or machineguns for dogfights)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
37 posts
6,166 battles

Whilst I think the concept of submarines could be quite fun it really wouldn’t fit in with the games dynamic.

firstly the speed of submarines submerged would be circa 8-10knts, with surface speed not much quicker. This would promote more static gameplay which is something I personally would be keen to keep moving away from. 

The torpedos I imagine you would have 2-4 torps that could be individually fired, this would be extremely hard to hit anything at a safe distance. 

Why a safe distance?

Glad you asked, imagine being submerged and constantly hydroed by almost every cruiser, what’s worse is that you can’t outrun anything and hydro lasts for a lot longer than radar. 

My final Point is I don’t see what this would actually add in terms of gameplay experience. Yes it maybe cool to play a sub, but I imagine the actual gameplay would be very low damage and frustrating. The ability to not get close to caps for fear of hydro DDs/CAs/BBs would promote very campish gameplay which isn’t team focused. In addition 12 ships on each side currently represents a good number of targets to engage, with the new CVs we might be possibly seeing 2 CVs in a game reducing realistically surface ships to 10. Add two or three subs to the game and targets for cruisers and BBs are starting to become thin lowering the game pace. 

This is just my opinion. 

Trimmy 

[OCTO]
Players
164 posts
11,237 battles

mmm, if the CV rework fails, there s always an alternative to create a new class, isn't it ?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
37 posts
6,166 battles
2 minutes ago, Steph246 said:

mmm, if the CV rework fails, there s always an alternative to create a new class, isn't it ?

I don’t think there is a possibility it will “fail”. Too much development has gone into AA, ships have been *balenced* using AA rating in combination with other stats. IF CVs were removed it would require a full rework of ships. As you basically have rendered a major perk of the USN ship line obsolete. 

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
164 posts
11,237 battles
1 hour ago, DeTrimmy said:

I don’t think there is a possibility it will “fail”. Too much development has gone into AA, ships have been *balenced* using AA rating in combination with other stats. IF CVs were removed it would require a full rework of ships. As you basically have rendered a major perk of the USN ship line obsolete. 

Well, replace AA by echo/sonar research, anti sub barrels, and create depth, another vertical dimension into the game. ;)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
37 posts
6,166 battles

Which nation already has the sonar locked down? :cap_like:

might as as well just add a a couple of trident missiles into the meta, should help cause a few fires on ships. Fits in with the new meta  :cap_popcorn:

[HAWKS]
[HAWKS]
Alpha Tester
142 posts
6,651 battles

Sadly its never gonna happend, i asked for that in alpha, and you forget 1 thing, air, subs only can stay submerged for hmm 40 secs due to game time then it needs to ree surface to fill tanks, so not so much static gameplay

Players
58 posts
3,510 battles

A 5th class of ship ( although submarines are boats and not ships ) would balance out the game in terms of the rock paper scissor setup it currently has.

But implementing something like submarines, WG would need to add another dimension to the game engine ( sub surface ) which might take some time to develop, time WG really is not to bothered to spend on implementing a class that might not even work in the current game.