Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

Wallet Warrior's Gold Guide

21 comments in this topic

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles

Maybe some admin should relocate this thread into the game guides section. I had straight up forgotten it existed, otherwise I would have posted it there in the first place, sorry.

Latest news is I've expanded the original spreadsheet with two more tables real quick.

"Gold and Commanders" is where I outsourced all the previous listings regarding commanders, mainly the cost of skill point redistribution.

Under "Gold and Free XP" some calculations for the cost of converting Elite (ship) XP to Free XP are listed, like the cost of some amounts of XP needed to upgrade commanders to certain higher levels. I also added the cost of Free-XP-ing a "Paypal Musashi" this way, contrasting it with various amounts needed to acquire a complete Yamato by converting Free XP from varous starting points. Listings include sums both discounted and regular price XP conversion.

Upshot:

If you'd like to buy 10-pt commanders for the main tech tree nations - buy anniversary containers in the premium shop, preferably in bulk. That is currently the best bargain by a fairly large margin.

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles

OK, the next new spreadsheet is called "Gold for Ships".

This got a bit confusing; hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes. It's because I got started on this spreadsheet last week already, and NOW, while the anniversary discount in the premium shop has already been available for some time, Wargaming "suddenly" announced an extra anniversary discount, this week only, on those premium ships you can buy for doubloons from the tech tree in the game.

And let me say, while the discount puts the higher tier ships in the region of the summer discount which didn't really grab my fancy - but if you are a goddam sealclubber sucker for "collector of" cute cheap nice little medium / low tier ships, some of these deals look interesting.

Also, note that the quoted prices from the premium shop include a port slot and the doubloon amounts do not. I briefly toyed with the idea to just add these 300 doubloons to the ships' prices but there's also currently a 60% port slot discount. So if you want to take that into account, you just need to mentally add the 120/300 doubloons or the respective amount of cents yourselves.

Anniversary discount amounts are in red.

"Heritage" prices that you can't actually pay are in grey, as well as the names of ships that aren't actually for sale, like Belfast and the Premium carriers. For some reason, doubloon prices for these are given in the tech tree, at least if you have the Aslain extended tech tree mod.

Personally, the best prices seem to be (based on the 49,99 doubloon chest)

- Yubari 3,88

- Murmansk 5,17

- Molotov 10,98

- Leningrad 12,67

- Anshan 8,93

- Perth 11,58

- Blyska 11,58

• Cool 2

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles

OK, time for another quick posting since Wargaming have dropped another discount on super short notice, this weekend only, adding up to 4,000 bonus doubloons to any purchase in the premium shop, depending on the amount you spend in the first place.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-deals/opportune-doubloon/

So, as you do,  I keep trying to conceive of ways to tell myself this is a good offer ;-) although on the face of it, as with most incentives, if you blow 40 Euros on stuff you wouldn't have bought otherwise, just to get the 4,000 bonus doubloons, that would be a very expensive load of doubloons, at an exchange rate of a full Euro Cent per doubloon, when the regular rate is just about a third of that if you buy them by the (small or large) chestfull.

And the first way that comes to mind is obviously to buy doubloons.

If you enjoy this game and play it "seriously", you probably want to have at least a small stash of those to use for any number of things.

Now if you buy 11280 doubloons, which would cost you exactly 40 Euros, you get another 4,000 doubloons into the bargain, so the exchange rate drops from 0.355 Cent per doubloon to a mere 0.262 Cent, which is a 26% discount.

And that is actually the sweet spot for a pure doubloon purchase - I've added another table "doubloons discount" to the spreadsheet which shows the exchange rate does not seem to drop any lower after that amount.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GdW79l1hAu7cDeP6R-zKDkR6F6M2Jjv0YJLdUULC-hE/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT:

OK next thing I did was look at the Premium ships currently on offer from the Tech Tree / inside the game. Sadly, ones that I currently find especially interesting like the Atago or Krasny Krim (don't ask), are not among them at this time. But others are. I've added an extra column to the "Gold for Ships" table of the spreadsheet, labelled "October doubloon discount", and will be filling those in by and by.

Edit: The next obvious idea would of course be to now stock up on doubloons, then convert them into Free XP when the next conversion discount comes up, and use it toward a Musashi, Konshtadt, Nelson or whatever Free XP premium ship is available then and takes your fancy. At 35 Free XP per doubloon, the 15280 doubloons from this weekend would get you 534,800 Free XP.

• Cool 1

Players
508 posts
9,014 battles

A tempting way to look at things.

Have you seen the Ultimate Treat? 13,500 Doubloons, 30 days Premium time, for GBP37.80 (-20% discount) exceeds the GBP36.00 required to quality for the additional 4,000 Doubloons (17,500 total with the promotion; and the 30 days Premium time).

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, DanSilverwing sagte:

Have you seen the Ultimate Treat?

I don't tend to look so much at these, since a) I myself got me a year's worth of premium account at the last discount for around 60 Euros, where there is still no end in sight, and b) it would require more thinking to factor in some equivalent value for the different packaged items.

That said though, I don't think there were any really appealing premium time bundles for the past six, eight months or so. There is bound to be one for Christmas, but what good is that if you want one now...

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
787 posts
4,490 battles

Hhmmzz

I need premium and I can always use some Doubloons. There are a few premium ships I want but not on sale atm. 

Decisions decisions. I could spend my money on a premium ship or even two. But that would net me only 4k in doubloons and leave me to still spend money on premium time. 

Or I can go for the ultimate treat and I have a massive amount of doubloons plus 30 days of premium. I'm leaning to the latter one. 

[BYOB]
Players
3,807 posts
15,469 battles
5 hours ago, Linkaex said:

Or I can go for the ultimate treat and I have a massive amount of doubloons plus 30 days of premium. I'm leaning to the latter one

Buying the ultimate treat this weekend nets you 4000 dubs, that's 15€ worth that you don't need to buy in the future.

Since we haven't seen a proper doubloon discount in ages this is one of the few ways to get extra dubs for your money.

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles

OK, so Wargaming keep having these special offers of very old premiums, like Yubari for €4.49 and Texas for €8.99, and you get compensated in doubloons if you already have those ships. And since there once used to be a similar deal where you really got a crapload of doubloons out of your second Texas, some people seem to think it is still a good idea to do that.

It most emphatically is not a good idea.

As you can clearly read in the description of the items, it says you get 997 doubloons for the Yubari and 2220 doubloons for Texas, so you are paying .45 of a cent or .40 of a cent for one doubloon, respectively, which is a lot more than if you buy a chest of doubloons (=roughly .33 of a cent per doubloon). In fact, .45 is the top exchange rate, which you pay when buying the smallest possible amount of 500 doubloons directly, and even if you buy just 2500 doubloons, your exchange rate already drops below .40 of a cent.

(To say nothing of the Stars'n Stripes perma camo you got in that package back then, which was what actually made me do it, and which you currently don't get any more.)

• Cool 5

[SM0KE]
Players
3,446 posts
8,910 battles
On 10/6/2018 at 10:12 AM, BrigadierRosen said:

This really needs to be pinned, the information in here is very useful.

+1 - all kinds of this.

Since it encourages sensible(ish) purchasing, I'll be surprised if WG do it though!

BTW thumbs up to @Nautical_Metaphor for doing the hard work - much appreciated.

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles
Vor 46 Minuten, Verblonde sagte:

Since it encourages sensible(ish) purchasing, I'll be surprised if WG do it though!

Personally, I've probably been spending rather more since starting to do these calculations... if on different things.

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles

Latest update on very short notice: THE COUPON

players who have been in the game for a year received a 30% coupon valid for three days and for "selected packages" the other day. You might have noticed other forum threads about this, with many people not being really sure what to do with it. Me included.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GdW79l1hAu7cDeP6R-zKDkR6F6M2Jjv0YJLdUULC-hE/edit?usp=sharing

Somebody suggested just getting gold for it and there are definitely merits to that idea. It would seem you can't redeem the coupon for an arbitrary amount of doubloons, and not for any special, time limited or otherwise discounted offers. What you can buy is the big chest with 30,500 doubloons, for 69.99 Euros, giving you an historically low exchange rate of 0.00229 Euro cents per doubloon.

For one thing, as you can see from the latest new spreadsheet called "Coupon discount Gold for ships", spending these discounted doubloons on premium ships available for in-game purchase from the tech tree (column I) does indeed save you a few more Euros over their premium shop prices, even if you compare it to the coupon-discounted premium shop prices (column H).

And what is more, this procedure allows you to use the coupon to buy more than one ship, or buy ships as well as other stuff you can get for doubloons in the game. Like for instance, wait for the next free XP conversion discount, get a bit over a million free XP for that gold and get free XP ships.

One drawback is that several great premium ships are not available for doubloons in-game purchase, like for example the Atago. Then again, the selection is changed now and then and you could just wait and see what happens, extending the time period in which to benefit from the coupon. OTOH, this of course involves the risk that the in-game selection may never include the ships you actually want, or become even worse when they remove ships you're currently on the fence about.

The one thing you must definitely avoid though is to use that gold to buy a ship which is actually more expensive that way than it currently is in the store. They have removed most of the discounted premium ships from the tech tree but apparently, they forgot at least one - the Huanghe.

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles

OK, I am moderately excited about the latest Value-for-money update: They took some premium ships out of the tech tree while making a few more other premium ships available to purchase in-game for doubloons. So if you made use of the October discount and/or bought a chestful with your coupons the other weekend, both of which got you an exchange rate of only 0,002620 Euro cents per doubloon, there is now another chance to make a small killing. And the new selection includes several ships over which I've been nursing a semi for some time!

As per the news bulletin,

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0711-rule-britannia/#content
under "Content Additions and Changes",

gone are

Prinz Eugen, Duke of York, Arizona, Katori, Kii, and Aigle.

Newly available are now

Texas - Sims - Indianapolis

Admiral Graf Spee - Z-39

Hood

Ishizuchi - Mutsu - Atago(!)

Okhotnik

Dunkerque

Duca degli Abruzzi

Anshan

My client has not quite finished updating, so I can't look up the doubloon prices just yet. But if they kept the prices for ships that used to be sold from the Tech Tree earlier, as an example, that would mean a price of €13.10 for the Sims, instead of almost 20 Euros regular store price. And the Atago goes for €28.03 instead of €39.08.

In the spreadsheet, I'll highlight the new ships in green in the A column and set the prices of all currently unavailabe ships to light grey.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GdW79l1hAu7cDeP6R-zKDkR6F6M2Jjv0YJLdUULC-hE/edit#gid=1685859868

• Cool 2

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, 22cm sagte:

Prices in gold you can find on wiki wows. 

Yes, but that does not account for price changes and discounts.

For example, I get a discount flag on the Sims, and the price is only 3,500 doubloons instead of 5,000. Which means it's now slashed to single-digit €9,17 in discounted doubloons!

Also, I notice the ships they said they'd remove are still in there, or at least the Ashitaka is. So possibly there is a slight overlap until the removal takes effect.

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles

Further discounted ships:

Texas

Alabama

Indianapolis

Kidd

EDIT: I failed to see any announcement (as I often do) but PORT SLOTS are also currently discounted to the usual 150 doubloons, which comes to €0.393 at the discounted exchange rate. This good news is marred though by the fact that contrary to some expectations, it turns out that players can't actually keep the slots that came with the Halloween event ships. (Some might say that would indeed have been uncharacteristically generous of WG ;-)

Oddly enough, they still failed to adjust the pice of the Huanghe, which therefore remains the only ship that costs more in-game than in the store if I'm not mistaken.

A LOT more. Like 50% more. Even in discounted doubloons.

[BOA2Y]
Beta Tester
4,708 posts
20,696 battles
1 hour ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Further discounted ships:

Texas

Alabama

Indianapolis

Kidd

EDIT: I failed to see any announcement (as I often do) but PORT SLOTS are also currently discounted to the usual 150 doubloons, which comes to €0.393 at the discounted exchange rate. This good news is marred though by the fact that contrary to some expectations, it turns out that players can't actually keep the slots that came with the Halloween event ships. (Some might say that would indeed have been uncharacteristically generous of WG ;-)

Oddly enough, they still failed to adjust the pice of the Huanghe, which therefore remains the only ship that costs more in-game than in the store if I'm not mistaken.

A LOT more. Like 50% more. Even in discounted doubloons.

Check the website:

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-deals/november-missions-2018/

November 22 – 26: In-Game Discounts and Bonuses

From November 22, 6:00 CET (UTC+1) to November 26, 6:00 CET (UTC+1), don't miss this opportunity to save doubloons and credits when purchasing Premium ships, slots, and consumables!

• You can convert Elite Commander XP into Free XP at the cost of 1 doubloon for 25 35 Elite Commander XP;
  • –50% to the cost of Port slots in doubloons;
  • –60% to the cost of consumables in credits;
  • –50% to the cost of modernizations in credits;
  • –50% to the cost of Equal Speed Charlie London, India Bravo Terrathree, Zulu, Papa Papa, and Zulu Hotel signals in doubloons;
  • –60% to the cost of "Type 1", "Type 2", "Type 5", "Type 6", and "Type 59" camouflage patterns in credits and doubloons;
  • –50% to the cost of US researchable Tier II–V ships in credits;
  • –30% to the cost of US researchable Tier VI–VII ships in credits;
  • –15% to the cost of US researchable Tier VIII–X ships in credits;
  • –50% to the cost of US Tier V battleship Texas in doubloons;
  • –30% to the cost of US Tier VII destroyer Sims and Tier VII cruiser Indianapolis in doubloons;
  • –15% to the cost of US Tier VIII destroyer Kidd and Tier VIII battleship Alabama in doubloons.

[BOA2Y]
Beta Tester
4,708 posts
20,696 battles
1 hour ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Yes, but that does not account for price changes and discounts.

For example, I get a discount flag on the Sims, and the price is only 3,500 doubloons instead of 5,000. Which means it's now slashed to single-digit €9,17 in discounted doubloons!

Also, I notice the ships they said they'd remove are still in there, or at least the Ashitaka is. So possibly there is a slight overlap until the removal takes effect.

Sims is discounted this weekend, and Ashitaka was not supposed to be removed.