Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dapprman

What level ships does radar now start at?

33 comments in this topic

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
61 posts

I always assumed it was tier 8.  Presently playing a tier 7 DD (Gadjah Mada).  If I'm in a tier 8 or 9 battle I assume there will be heavy radar and so I act accordingly.  Now, however, I'm finding the same in tier 7 battles - I'm suspecting Indianapolis and Fuji, and it's getting as bad as at higher tiers.  OK means you now treat all battles the same in a tier 7 DD, but for tier 5 ones ? - going to be a rather hard time for them.

[POI--]
Players
5,894 posts
7,229 battles

T8 for tech tree ships, but some T7 premiums get radar. T7s with radar are only three ships though, the Belfast, the Atlanta and the Indianapolis.

Belfast is the worst enemy of them, as radar range is 100 m less than spotting range, so you spot Belfast and get radared before you can turn around. Likely you die.

Atlanta is next threatening, but has a good window inbetween its 8.5 km radar range (same as Belfast) and its spotting range at, I think, 9.4 or so km (has been some time since I played her). The ballistics make it hard to hit a dodging DD at that range, but a good Atlanta will wreck you.

Indianapolis gets 9.9 km radar, so more range than the others, but Indianapolis is a heavy cruiser. It likely won't hang around too close to the frontlines and when it spots you, it likely won't kill you on its own in the 25 second duration of T7 radar.

After T7, every Soviet, American and British cruiser and PA DD potentially carries radar. British cruisers and PA DDs in randoms go for smoke though, typically, so it's less worrisome there, just keep in mind they could be playing with radar. Once they pop their first smoke screen, you know they are smoke users though. Missouri (a T9 BB) and Black (a T9 DD) are the sole other ships with radar. Missouri is long spotted before deploying it though, usually and the Black is very rare, because while radar can be fun, the ship has torps slower than some ships, making it rather eh to play overall.

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
61 posts

thing is yesterday I was spotted by radar in a tier 7 random battle but the other side did not have any of the three premium cruisers.  I wonder if there's been an option change on lower ships - can anyone with a Fiji confirm it's not become an option for them ?

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
11 minutes ago, dapprman said:

thing is yesterday I was spotted by radar in a tier 7 random battle but the other side did not have any of the three premium cruisers.  I wonder if there's been an option change on lower ships - can anyone with a Fiji confirm it's not become an option for them ?

No. If it was t7 battle then there are exactly two possibilites:

a) You missed the fact that the enemy did have Belfast, Indianapolis or Atlanta

b) What spotted you wasn't Radar but Hydro (the symbol is the same) - this, however, means that a hydro-capable ship got extremely close to you

Players
4,500 posts
8,202 battles
23 minutes ago, dapprman said:

I wonder if there's been an option change on lower ships - can anyone with a Fiji confirm it's not become an option for them ?

Fiji can not slot Radar. Edinburgh is the first RN Cruiser that can. Fiji however has Hydro. And im pretty sure thats whats been spotting you.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
61 posts

From above I suspect the Fiji started it's hydro as I'd just recently sunk their only DD in the area and it feared my torps and I just fell within it's range.

Players
260 posts
4,654 battles

Atlanta 8.5 25s
Salem -//-
Belfast -//-
Indianapolis 9.9 20
USN Cruisers t8 9 30

USN Cruisers t9 9.45 40
USN Cruisers t10 9.9 40
Russians 11.7 20-25

PA dds + usn Black 7.5 15-20
missuri 9.45

Players
126 posts
12,455 battles
56 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

Atlanta 8.5 25s
Salem -//-
Belfast -//-
Indianapolis 9.9 20
USN Cruisers t8 9 30

USN Cruisers t9 9.45 40
USN Cruisers t10 9.9 40
Russians 11.7 20-25

PA dds + usn Black 7.5 15-20
missuri 9.4

Salem and Belfast both the same as Atlanta, 8.5km/25sec. Salem can equip the radar module, would make it 8.5km/30sec.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts

It doesn't help that the detection icons for Hydro and Radar are the same, it's bound to lead to this sort of confusion. It would be nice if there was a separate icon, but since I suspect the coding of Hydro and Radar is the same then they would have to do a bit of work to make it possible.

[CR33D]
Players
3,207 posts
17,044 battles
2 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

It doesn't help that the detection icons for Hydro and Radar are the same, it's bound to lead to this sort of confusion. It would be nice if there was a separate icon, but since I suspect the coding of Hydro and Radar is the same then they would have to do a bit of work to make it possible.

Why would you need it? You know hydro and radar ranges. You know the radar durations. Its easy to know by what you are spotted. I think the symbols need to stay same. It adds some skill to the game. We dont need every information being given so easly.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,817 posts
3,634 battles

Tier 8, apart from the Atlanta, Flint, and Belfast. As it always has been. You sure you weren't hydroed?

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
5 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

Why would you need it? You know hydro and radar ranges. You know the radar durations. Its easy to know by what you are spotted. I think the symbols need to stay same. It adds some skill to the game. We dont need every information being given so easly.

I know them, you know them, probably many of the forum posters know them, but an awful lot of the WoWs player base certainly doesn't, in fact many have no clue what they actually do.

Personally I don't care if there's a different icon, but for quite a lot it would help them understand a bit more.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
57 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

The fact that a skilled player can play around sh*tty interface isn't a good argument for leaving the interface sh*tty.

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
15,278 battles
Vor 7 Stunden, dapprman sagte:

If I'm in a tier 8 or 9 battle I assume there will be heavy radar

There is little need for assumptions since you can just hold the Tab key and look at the team compositions.

Yesterday I spent a large (for me) fraction in high tier games and never had more than one radar ship on either of the teams, several times none at all.

[CR33D]
Players
3,207 posts
17,044 battles
2 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I know them, you know them, probably many of the forum posters know them, but an awful lot of the WoWs player base certainly doesn't, in fact many have no clue what they actually do.

Personally I don't care if there's a different icon, but for quite a lot it would help them understand a bit more.

I know that. But making the game as easy as possible for "players" is not a good solution either. This game has already became to easy. 

1 hour ago, eliastion said:

The fact that a skilled player can play around sh*tty interface isn't a good argument for leaving the interface sh*tty.

Radar and hydro being the same icon isnt a sh.tty interface... 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
5 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

Radar and hydro being the same icon isnt a sh.tty interface... 

Yes it is. And while we're at it, so is the fact that icons for various kinds of spotting, it is unreliable and provides confusing information for no apparent reason.

It's just like with the rendering delay - players who are aware of it can use it to their advantage, "adding skill" to the game. Still, almost everyone agrees that it should go, if only it can be removed without f*cking over players with worse hardware.

[CR33D]
Players
3,207 posts
17,044 battles
7 hours ago, eliastion said:

Yes it is. And while we're at it, so is the fact that icons for various kinds of spotting, it is unreliable and provides confusing information for no apparent reason.

It's just like with the rendering delay - players who are aware of it can use it to their advantage, "adding skill" to the game. Still, almost everyone agrees that it should go, if only it can be removed without f*cking over players with worse hardware.

Rendering delay and having same icon for radar&hydro are 2 very different things. Being aware of ships and checking the minimap (using few brain cells) solves the icon "problem". Rendering delay has no solution. No matter how good you are, you have to wait few secs to be able to shoot.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
43 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

Rendering delay and having same icon for radar&hydro are 2 very different things. Being aware of ships and checking the minimap (using few brain cells) solves the icon "problem". Rendering delay has no solution. No matter how good you are, you have to wait few secs to be able to shoot.

But being attentive you notice the ship before it appears and can pre-aim your guns, giving you effective spotting advantage over an enemy with the same or even better concealment.

Also, no, "checking the minimap" won't tell you if you're hydroed or radared if you happen to be in range of two ships with respective consumables. And that's assuming you know to be in range of these two. This is not necessarily a given as Radar ships like to use cover and remain concealed even while using their consumable and some Hydro platforms are relatively stealthy and can easily be - still unspotted - just on the other side of an island you're taking cover behind...

So, no matter how good you are, you have to get out of range of any theoretically possible Hydro/Radar to tell with certainty that it was the other option that spotted you.

[CR33D]
Players
3,207 posts
17,044 battles
37 minutes ago, eliastion said:

But being attentive you notice the ship before it appears and can pre-aim your guns, giving you effective spotting advantage over an enemy with the same or even better concealment.

Also, no, "checking the minimap" won't tell you if you're hydroed or radared if you happen to be in range of two ships with respective consumables. And that's assuming you know to be in range of these two. This is not necessarily a given as Radar ships like to use cover and remain concealed even while using their consumable and some Hydro platforms are relatively stealthy and can easily be - still unspotted - just on the other side of an island you're taking cover behind...

So, no matter how good you are, you have to get out of range of any theoretically possible Hydro/Radar to tell with certainty that it was the other option that spotted you.

Ofc you see a ship on minimap you pre aim your guns and wait for it to render. This is what rendering delay means. Its an annoying feature. Like i said there is no solution to that. No matter what you have to wait for few secs that ship to render.

"Checking minimap" alone wont tell you ofc. :Smile_facepalm: you know the duration of radars. You know ranges of all hydros and radars. You have to also pay attention to: 

-did radar ship use its radar before? Do you have that info?

-if it did, is it still on cd?

Besides hydro spotting you happens mostly when you sit behind an island with a hydro ship on the other side of it. So you can wait and see if its radar or hydro spotting you. Or you can increase distance without getting into danger (if you can) to see if its hydro or radar.

After 13k battles i wasnt in a situation yet where i couldnt understand which consumable was spotting me. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
15 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

Ofc you see a ship on minimap you pre aim your guns and wait for it to render. This is what rendering delay means. Its an annoying feature. Like i said there is no solution to that. No matter what you have to wait for few secs that ship to render.

But it's an "annoying feature" that gives the advantage to the skilled over those who lack skill. So - according to your logic when it comes to the "spotted" icons, it's an annoying feature that makes the game better. Only, it doesn't (unless the alternative is players with worse computers seeing enemies later than those who have good hardware; a forced delay would certainly be preferable).

Thing is, "annoying features" of the game like render delay and spotted icons that override each other and show the same result for two different methods of spotting - they are, well, annoying. They don't really bring anything into the game. All they are is a piece of worthless artificial difficulty. And, yes, of course such additional difficulty favors these that can deal with it better to perform better than those who lack this skill. Still, it's hardly a strong argument for keeping such "features" in game.

Sign in to follow this