RADM_Eclipsenight

Which ship has Torps? Possible addon?

12 comments in this topic

Players
24 posts
147 battles

So I was wondering, certain ships have torpedoes, that's a no-brainer on Destroyers. But is there perchance a way to tell which cruiser or battleship has them? Is there an indication you can distinguish them from? Or is there perhaps even an addon? I am quite tired of ending up too close to vessels that I THOUGHT didn't have torpedoes. Or totally forget to take precaution to them.

[-AP-]
Players
1,845 posts
4,581 battles
17 hours ago, RADM_Eclipsenight said:

So I was wondering, certain ships have torpedoes, that's a no-brainer on Destroyers. But is there perchance a way to tell which cruiser or battleship has them? Is there an indication you can distinguish them from? Or is there perhaps even an addon? I am quite tired of ending up too close to vessels that I THOUGHT didn't have torpedoes. Or totally forget to take precaution to them.

There are generalisations, but really you just learn it along with all the other strengths and weaknesses of the ships in your head.

Anyhow, this is what i can think of off the top of my head:

japanese cruisers all get torps

german cruisers

brittish cruisers

French cruisers

American pheonix and omaha

three german bbs: gneissenau, derpitz and scharnyhorst

Edit:

Also ruski cruisers and jap battleship Kii

These arent all the ships, but its some generalisations.

• Cool 3

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,367 posts
Vor 11 Minuten, RADM_Eclipsenight sagte:

- some contour icons have symbols for torps

- some player panels show torps

but you have to use mods for that...

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,772 battles

Easiest way to answer that question is to point at the tech tree.

If you look at individual ships (even ones you haven't unlocked yourself) you can simply check if the ship in question has torpedo stats (clicking to open the detailed informations will also show the exact characteristics such as number of torps, damage, range, reload, etc.). You can click on the torpedo stats and the camera will automatically pan and focus on the torpedo launchers themselves, showing exactly where they are on the ship (useful to know, as when you see ships explosing that side towards you it's a clear indicator they might've just launched their torpedoes).

As for the other part of your question, it's still very much just a case of memorizing what ships have torps and which one's don't when facing them in battle. It's something you tend to learn relatively quickly though, especially if you end up seeing the ships more often as you play.

Only thing you can't know without looking for third-party informations or playing the ships themselves are the actual torpedo launch angles which can still be surprising even if you know the ship has torpedoes, some ships need to show more or less perfect broadside to launch theirs (which makes it easy to notice), others have much, MUCH better firing angles and barely need to show you sides to launch them which can be easily missed if they're already wiggling defensively.

[ARYA]
Players
515 posts
12,664 battles
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

There are generalisations, but really you just learn it along with all the other strengths and weaknesses of the ships in your head.

german cruisers

brittish cruisers

French cruisers

Add soviet(russian) cruisers and KII(japanese battleship)

and you need to remember their range

IJN have 10 km

French 6 and 9 km 

German 6 km

Soviet 4 km

RN 8 and 10 km 

just play a bit more and u will learn all of them...

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,817 posts
3,634 battles
19 minutes ago, Atorpad said:

Soviet 4 km

Addendum: The Dmitri Donskoy actually has 8km torpedoes.

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles
15 hours ago, thiextar said:

german cruisers

brittish cruisers

French cruisers

Add KII to that.

[CU]
Players
325 posts
3,562 battles

When I first started, my favourite way was to sail close to them, if I got torped, they had torps, if I didn't get torped, they didn't have torps.

• Funny 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles
38 minutes ago, Malfuss said:

if I didn't get torped, they didn't have torps.

And what if they were reloading or torp launchers been destroyed? Not such great way tbh.

[CU]
Players
325 posts
3,562 battles
Just now, _DeathWing_ said:

And what if they were reloading or toprs been destroyed? Not such great way tbh.

Then logically they didn't have torps.

• Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,401 posts
8,787 battles
On 9/1/2018 at 1:42 PM, RADM_Eclipsenight said:

I'm afraid it's just a question of memory; with more battles, you'll learn surprisingly quickly. Although not foolproof, I use the following guidelines, as to who gets torps (at mid-higher tiers):

• DDs: all do; Russians are mostly short-ranged (you'll learn the exceptions as you go).
  • Cruisers: most do; the main exceptions are currently the Americans T6+; again, Russians are short-ranged; Brits can single fire; Japanese have long range (but often fire more to the rear - watch out for cruisers turning away from you at higher tiers); Belfast doesn't get torps.
  • BBs: most don't; the main exceptions are (as mentioned by others) Shinyhorse, Gneis, Tirpitz (not Bismark), Kii, and Mutsu.

Also, bear in mind that just because a ship has torps, it doesn't mean that they're all equally threatening e.g. the Russians are fierce at close range, but you're mostly safe at medium range; several of the Russian premiums (regardless of which nation they belong to) have longer range torps than the default; the previously mentioned weird firing arcs on IJN cruisers; some torps have very low speed (several US and Italian ones); a few ships have optional builds, or their torp armament changes drastically with upgrades e.g. Monaghan has either 'guns' or 'torp' options (the latter's torps are much more threatening), and so on...

Have a read of this: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships - amongst other things, it lists all the ships, including their torp (or not) armament. Suggest not trying to learn everything, but just concentrate on those you're likely to meet at whatever tier you've currently got to. Also, suggest playing as many different ships as you practically can, as that'll give you a better idea of what everything can/can't do...