You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rangermongio

Will HMS Anthony be back?

9 comments in this topic

Question

[PANEU]
Players
6 posts
11,451 battles

Hello everyone. Is there a chance that with the introduction of the Royal Navy DDs the destroyer HMS Anthony will be released again as a premium ship? 

Kind Regards

8 answers to this question

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
894 posts
10,147 battles

It's possible that Anthony wil make a return, but if not; the RN DD line does include the tier V Acasta which is the standard line representation of the A-Class destroyers, so there will still be a playable A-Class.

image.thumb.png.b1529595d2b7e0dc570a5c55a70c61aa.png

[PANEU]
Players
6 posts
11,451 battles

Thank you for your kind answer. However, I do know they're introducing HMS Acasta which is an A-class DD as well. My question came from the perspective of a collector, rather than a gameplayer, in this case at least. 

I do appreciate, though, the fact that it's still possible for it to come back. I am passionate about military history and naval history and the Royal Navy fascinates me the most, so having that destroyer back would really be a pleasure, regardless of the -very welcome- presence of HMS Acasta at Tier V in the upcoming Royal Navy DD line.

Kind regards.

894 posts
10,147 battles

Whether or not Anthony will be distinguishable from Acasta may decide whether the premium is added, but Anthony would be a simple solution for a tier V premium DD, particularly since players who may like to play the A-Class specifically won't have the option of buying a permanent camo since none exist for ships below tier VI.

It is entirely possible that the Anthony could be added with only minor differences, similar to how tier III Valkyrie differs only slightly from tier III Vampire.

[PANEU]
Players
6 posts
11,451 battles

I've never heard about a tier III Valkyrie... I mean I know the ship but I didn't know it was in game or how could you get it...

Anyway I do think that the best option would be to make small differences compared to Acasta and make it obtainable through a combat mission (or a series of them) or in the Arsenal.

Alongside the usual different packs available in the Premium Shop, obviously.

894 posts
10,147 battles

Sorry, Valkyrie will be the new RN Tier 3 DD, but it is a V-Class destroyer the same as the Commonwealth Tier 3 DD Vampire. But, Vampire is of the Commonwealth, which may be the necessary distinction to justify it's existence alongside the Valkyrie (in terms of stats, Valkyrie has 30% faster torp reload with minor improvements to AP damage, HE fire chance and turning circle but at the cost of it's AA suite and armor protection, very little that affects it's playstyle in comparison to Vampire).

Along this line of reasoning, it's also possible for a Commonwealth A-Class to appear as there were two of them.

Although posted some time ago you can find the official dev previews of the RN DD line, and other upcoming ships/features, on the official WoWS Dev Blog FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/wowsdevblog/

The new RN DDs, including the Valkyrie, are presented on the wiki;

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ships_of_U.K.

On the subject of Anthony again, it occurs to me that when they appeared ingame as part of the Dunkirk event, Gallant was made available and not Anthony or Cyclone. If there was a time you might expect them to be available it was probably then, which might indicate they will not return. I guess only time will tell.

[PANEU]
Players
6 posts
11,451 battles

Please excuse me. I completely forgot about the fact that Valkyrie was, in fact, the upcoming Tier III Royal Navy destroyer. I did take a look at the complete line when it was shared on Facebook but I completely forgot about the Valkyrie. Apologies for that.

Anyway, you do make a perfect point, if we could have expected them to be released it would have been last year during the event. My question came from the fact that having introduced it already shouldn't make too much of a problem to re-implement it, maybe in a different iteration. Of course, the Commonwealth variant of an A-Class DD is definitely possible as well. As you said, only time will tell. I was expecting a return of the Anthony though, even for just the one reason above: it had already been given to the players, so -at least in my mind- it made sense for them to give it back again. 

As always, I sincerely thank you for your kind answers.