Sign in to follow this  
Vilodrom

Mutsuki OR Minekaze

22 comments in this topic

[-WB-]
Players
66 posts
1,186 battles

So I've been playing Japanese DD's and they are my fav by far due to the power of torps. I'm up to Isokaze, and love the reload time and destruction of the torps. Now I want to know which ship I should pick next? I don't really mind the guns, but I really want a nice torpedoe layout. Anyone have any ideas?

ty <3

[-AP-]
Players
1,861 posts
4,611 battles

Mutsuki if you want to go down the torpedo-boat line, and minekaze if you want gunboats from tier 8 upwards.

I will say that torpedo-boats do get weaker and weaker the higher up the tiers you go, as more players learn to continuously change course unpredictably and dodge, and more and more ships have hydro and such

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,822 posts
3,634 battles

I'm only at the Fubuki myself (and the Hatsu), but I agree that landing a torpedo on target can be a right royal pain in the *edited* at times.

At this stage, of the two, I'd have to reccomend the gunboat line, ie the Minekaze.

[QTANG]
Players
1,105 posts
18,534 battles

As mentioned take Mutsuki (main line) to follow the path of the torpedo.

Tbf though there's not that much difference between both lines until you hit T8.

The Hatsuharu and especially Shiratsuyu are very much torpedo-focused, so either choice won't have much impact until later.

Please do note that protected mm does not extend past t4, so you might (it's not really rare) face t7s in your t5s with probably more experienced ppl and captains at the helm .

Try to get the concealment expert skill as fast as you can to make sure your concealment stays competitive.

[POI--]
Players
5,915 posts
7,229 battles

Minekaze is the better ship, but it leads to gunboats down the line. Mutsuki leads to torpedo boats. The torpedo line mainly is a bit lackluster, because the IJN torpedoes have high damage, but are easily spotted and more easily dodged than any other torpedo. You will have to learn how to set up torpedoes in ways that are hard to dodge to stay relevant and work on how to get the most out of the concealment advantage. The gunboats are easily more competitive in that regard.

Still, torp boat line isn't too bad.

Players
1,687 posts
16,712 battles

As others said, torpedo boats are 'weak'. Yugumo and Shimakaze are still among my favorite ships to play because I like the challenge. It's fun to wipe the floor with supposedly superior gunboats. :cat_cool:

[-WB-]
Players
66 posts
1,186 battles

it's a shame that the fun of torpedoes get destroyedn by WASD hacks....

I'm not spending any doubloons on this game so I have my 11 slots but are their any ships in the line that are fun and I would want to keep?

[QTANG]
Players
1,105 posts
18,534 battles

Definitely Shima, Yugu maybe Fubuki if torpedoboating continues to be your thing.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,822 posts
3,634 battles
5 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

As others said, torpedo boats are 'weak'. Yugumo and Shimakaze are still among my favorite ships to play because I like the challenge. It's fun to wipe the floor with supposedly superior gunboats. :cat_cool:

Note I did not say weak, I said harder to consistently get good games in. Not quite the same thing

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
16 hours ago, Vilodrom said:

So I've been playing Japanese DD's and they are my fav by far due to the power of torps. I'm up to Isokaze, and love the reload time and destruction of the torps. Now I want to know which ship I should pick next? I don't really mind the guns, but I really want a nice torpedoe layout. Anyone have any ideas?

ty <3

If you're into IJN torpedoes, you should probably advance towards Shimakaze. Be warned, however, that while at early tiers IJN torpboats are easy to play, higher tiers get more and more demanding. Landing torps becomes harder (enemies tend to be more cautious as the average level of experience is higher) and the torpedo reload grows to very uncomfortable values. Even IJN signature advantage of stealth (the DD stealth, their torps are the least stealthy) becomes somewhat unreliable AND DDs of other lines have torps that - while weaker - hold some important advantages over IJN equivalents. It's not that the ships can't perform, mind you, but it's much harder to bring out their potential at high tier.

Also, one more thing about IJN DDs and the choice you have now. The "gunboat" line actually has three gunboats - t8,9,10. Up to that point the line is still firmly in the torpedo boat territory, generally enjoying less tubes but better concealment. Especially interesting is t7 Shiratsuyu - a strange ship that, tier-for-tier might well be the best torpedo boat in the game. It should be noted that she has significant weaknesses though and isn't recommended for beginners. Her speciality (improved TRB that normally only appears on single-launcher DDs further down her line) requires you to give up on her smoke. When you consider her small hp pool, existence of Radars at and especially above her tier AND the fact that her stealth isn't all that reliable against t8+ DDs... she's not very easy to play. And it's going to get harder with some stupidly stealthy gunboats appearing at and above her tier. Still, since you ask about DDs in the context of good torpedo capabilities of these two IJN DD branches, I don't think the thread would be complete without mentioning that little t7 beast, even if she's most definitely not for everyone :Smile_honoring:

EDIT:

Oh, one more tihng

I'm not spending any doubloons on this game so I have my 11 slots but are their any ships in the line that are fun and I would want to keep?

I don't think it's really a good idea to make plans of keeping this or that ship at this point. Setting grind-goals is one thing, but if you're going to grind through the ships anyway? Just decide as you go - and keep these that you have fun playing. No amount of advice will tell you if a ship is worth keeping - it's always your personal experience that you should consult when making this decision :Smile_honoring:

[POI--]
Players
5,915 posts
7,229 battles
3 minutes ago, eliastion said:

When you consider her small hp pool, existence of Radars at and especially above her tier AND the fact that her stealth isn't all that reliable against t8+ DDs... she's not very easy to play. 

And lackluster mobility for a DD. Even if I have my all-time damage record on Shiratsuyu, I personally much prefer the Akatsuki, as Shiratsuyu has to make the most out of its torpedo reload booster to really beat the Akatsuki in torpedo utility. Smoke Shiratsuyu just feels sad.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,594 posts
16,718 battles

Honestly if you want a torp boat you should go grind a Fletcher instead. She's far superior in pretty much every aspect to her IJN counterparts, including the combat performance of her torps.

Players
2,109 posts
15,298 battles

Both of course.

Edit: But if you really want to focus on one or the other, I recommend getting a client and an account for the Public Test Server because there you can unlock them and the whole line super quickly and just see for yourself.

You may be limited to Co-op battles because there are far fewer users on the Test server and they usually focus on the "gimmick of the week" (= the actual new stuff they're testing on the server, like currently the Arms Race mode.) But it's a lot better than nothing, especially since you can also experiment with different Commander builds "for free". Only 15-point commanders, and it will be hard to max them out before your progress is wiped for the next update, but still.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,416 posts
8,853 battles

Both!

If you like torps, the 'torpedo' line is the obvious one though, despite the problems with your torps being very easy to spot; they are almost unsurpassed for sneakiness, which you can do an awful lot with (captains with CE are essential).

That said, the Shiratsuyu (T7 'gunboat') is glorious for fans of torp soup - if you run the TRB (instead of smoke), you can put a positively indecent amount of torps into the water at once - this is one of my favourite DDs in the game at any tier.

As an expansion on that idea, lately I've started running Kagero (T8 'torp boat') with TRB in place of smoke as well - with all the radar about at the moment (and since the 'firing in smoke' changes), there is much to be said for this, provided you know when/how to run away - again, you can chuck out enough torps to really ruin someone's day.

I too started off massively favouring torp boats; there is much to be said for playing a few hybrids too though, as they give you even more options - for example, at around T7, the US DD line starts getting rather good; although the torps are rather slow, they have decent range (9.2 km), and the down-sides are more than made up for by the splendid dakka. The KM DDs are good fun too - they're a bit chubby, but effective all-rounders none the less.

[-WB-]
Players
66 posts
1,186 battles

Woah I'm just reading into this "test server" thing. How do i get this? sounds cool, so you get access to all ships or what

Also I was playing V-170 but have kinda gotten out of swing with the whole thing. You lose the advantage of torping then leaving without being seen. Isokaze = a bomb [edited]ship but I tried minekaze and it's just troubling xD. I'll see if I can try and redo The german DD's.

Other than that, anyone got any good cruiser nation lines? I feel like Imma go british BB's, they have quick reload (from what I've seen in game) and I am british so ya'know gotta support homeboy

[-TPF-]
Players
2,265 posts
10,664 battles

I would go for Mutsuki, because it leads to Fubuki, which is one of the most fun DDs in the game. Doesn't really care who she's put up against, you can troll everyone and anyone. 

20 minutes ago, Vilodrom said:

Other than that, anyone got any good cruiser nation lines? I feel like Imma go british BB's, they have quick reload (from what I've seen in game) and I am british so ya'know gotta support homeboy

Japanese and French cruisers are good all rounders. IJN have good torps, the French have high speed and good guns.

[QTANG]
Players
1,105 posts
18,534 battles
9 hours ago, Vilodrom said:

Woah I'm just reading into this "test server" thing. How do i get this? sounds cool, so you get access to all ships or what

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/public-test/public-test-079/

You don't have immidiate access to all the ships but grinding upwards from the ones you get credited (this time T6) is basically trivial,

it only takes 1exp to unlock any module and 2k (most tiers) or 4k (T9+10) for a new ship.

As to the cruisers, imo there's no bad line. I'd recommend trying anything that looks interesting to you. IJN is a good start though.

Stay away from the british CLs for now though, those require a bit more experience to get them to behave.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,416 posts
8,853 battles
17 hours ago, Vilodrom said:

If you're liking DDs (and torps) I would start with the IJN (as suggested above), and possibly the KM cruisers - the latter are ludicrously fragile, but feel a bit like tubby destroyers (to me anyway) with decent AP, at least in the middle tiers.

As others have said, the RN cruisers are not easy mode, but they are great fun; I found them a logical progression from some of the hybrid DDs and KM cruisers in that they're fragile, tend to involve a mix of gun and torp use (mainly the former), and are rather dependent on their consumables (the lack of HE takes some getting used to as well, but they do get single-fire torps, which can be glorious with a bit of practice). I'm still pretty pants in them though...

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
841 posts

To honest, OP. There isn't anything special in the end on the torp DD tree.

U basicly get a one trick pony. The other DDs u face are stronger and better than the Shima.

I unlocked the tier 9 and stopped the grind there. Was so boring.

The other nations offer way more thrilling DD gameplay, and way more challenge.

But if torps are your main buzz, Shima is the boat.

[-WB-]
Players
66 posts
1,186 battles

Dammit not enough space on the disk for the test server ;-; thanks for wasting 3 hours downloading -_-

Sign in to follow this