Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

New & Improved Op Dynamo in 0.7.9 - Now open to all "Allied" T6-7 DD's - What will be your Ship and Captain Skills choice?

111 comments in this topic

Players
1,558 posts
5,924 battles

Hi all, I've given Op Dynamo a go on the PTS and the change from being restricted to two "OP Only" DD's to "any Allied DD" opens up a whole host of possibilities!

So, including Tech and Premium ships, which ship and Captain Skills are you going to be choosing for this Op and why?

For myself I only have the Gadja Mada still in my inventory as an available Tech Ship (sold the rest) but I have several Premium DD's available I can also choose from. As the Op heavily focuses air power I decided that, despite having ships like Blyskawica or Gadja with their phenomenal guns which would shred Schnell Boats, I would instead concentrate on a full AA build DD which should hopefully still be useful against the Schnell Boats at closer range.

So I picked my USN Sims with it's improved 4x Def AA ability (cruisers only get 3x) and added a 19 point Captain skilled solely for this Op, giving it a 3 second Main Gun reload, an increased Smoke Screen size to help shield the transports and most importantly 448 AA DPS at 7.2km using Def AA (112 without Def AA) with Superintendent to give more consumables. I decided to test out this build in the Training Room against a T7 Hiryu and happily deplanned it with 72 plane kills so I know the build works as an AA platform while the notoriously slow and loopy USN DD Guns are still good enough to hit Schnell Boats once inside 4-5km (tested using Faragutt on PTS).

After that ship I think the Blyska and Gadja will be my favourite choice due to their gun strength, then the Monaghan which also has 4x Def AA and can be Captain swapped without issue and leaving the Leningrad/Ashan as my least chosen, purely due to their slow turret rotation time and worse smoke compared to the others.

shot-18_08.31_15_21.46-0876.thumb.jpg.9bd230df8639045ad301148ce2d0887d.jpg

shot-18_08.31_17_09.52-0094.thumb.jpg.ded1af13990eea130ab8ddecd1fdf226.jpg

[BYOB]
Players
3,806 posts
15,458 battles

I'll be using Sims as well, but I won't specc the ship for the OP. The standard loadout will suffice.

[P-W-C]
Players
5,066 posts
28,145 battles
41 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

Hi all, I've given Op Dynamo a go on the PTS and the change from being restricted to two "OP Only" DD's to "any Allied DD" opens up a whole host of possibilities!

So, including Tech and Premium ships, which ship and Captain Skills are you going to be choosing for this Op and why?

For myself I only have the Gadja Mada still in my inventory as an available Tech Ship (sold the rest) but I have several Premium DD's available I can also choose from. As the Op heavily focuses air power I decided that, despite having ships like Blyskawica or Gadja with their phenomenal guns which would shred Schnell Boats, I would instead concentrate on a full AA build DD which should hopefully still be useful against the Schnell Boats at closer range.

So I picked my USN Sims with it's improved 4x Def AA ability (cruisers only get 3x) and added a 19 point Captain skilled solely for this Op, giving it a 3 second Main Gun reload, an increased Smoke Screen size to help shield the transports and most importantly 448 AA DPS at 7.2km using Def AA (112 without Def AA) with Superintendent to give more consumables. I decided to test out this build in the Training Room against a T7 Hiryu and happily deplanned it with 72 plane kills so I know the build works as an AA platform while the notoriously slow and loopy USN DD Guns are still good enough to hit Schnell Boats once inside 4-5km (tested using Faragutt on PTS).

After that ship I think the Blyska and Gadja will be my favourite choice due to their gun strength, then the Monaghan which also has 4x Def AA and can be Captain swapped without issue and leaving the Leningrad/Ashan as my least chosen, purely due to their slow turret rotation time and worse smoke compared to the others.

shot-18_08.31_15_21.46-0876.thumb.jpg.9bd230df8639045ad301148ce2d0887d.jpg

shot-18_08.31_17_09.52-0094.thumb.jpg.ded1af13990eea130ab8ddecd1fdf226.jpg

I have the Kidd and I'm speccing such captain slowly on it. For CV division gameplay. If this was made by Sims....wow :cap_wander:

Kidd will be obliterating planes on such captain :cap_rambo:

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,429 posts

in fact this point about captains skills and ship modules concerns be a bit. On the PTS the op seems to be rather easy, of course everyone who plays the mission there will maximize AA. But on the Live-Server many/most players will take their (tree) DD with normal captain and modules into the scenario, so much less AA power...

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
1,918 posts
21,135 battles

Sims and Monaghan and possibly some RN DDs. Maybe Leny too. Standard captain without any AA modifications. At least for start and then see how it goes.

Players
1,558 posts
5,924 battles
1 hour ago, MacArthur92 said:

I have the Kidd and I'm speccing such captain slowly on it. For CV division gameplay. If this was made by Sims....wow :cap_wander:

Kidd will be obliterating planes on such captain :cap_rambo:

My Kidd running a full AA build (signals, upgrades etc) with the same 19pt Captain swapped from the Sims, runs 570 DPS at 7.2km (127mm) and another 360 DPS at 5.1km (40mm) when using Def AA so over 930 AA DPS at 5.1km in total (although the 127mm Aura works slower than the 40mm one so using "DPS" isn't technically accurate) [plus another 50 DPS (20mm) at 2.9km for almost 1000 DPS, thats only 100 DPS less than my full AA build (same as Kidd) Atlanta - In A DD!!!!

1 hour ago, Klopirat said:

in fact this point about captains skills and ship modules concerns be a bit. On the PTS the op seems to be rather easy, of course everyone who plays the mission there will maximize AA. But on the Live-Server many/most players will take their (tree) DD with normal captain and modules into the scenario, so much less AA power...

Yeap, as a Co-Op main I can easily make "meme" builds without issue as virtually any Captain build works on Co-Op but for PvP players, they'll understandably want to keep with their competitive PvP Captain skills instead and I'm guessing WG will have aimed the Ops difficulty around that which is why I'm hoping that my own AA meme build will be able to do well.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,678 posts
11,301 battles

Hi all,

1 hour ago, aboomination said:

Sims, AA specced

Yep... :Smile_honoring:

BTW, I managed to get 5 starts in 1st try yesterday on the PT... incredibly all players knew what to do (I was in "Farragut")... :Smile_medal:

Leo "Apollo11"

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,509 posts
6,848 battles

I'll probably use Mahan....possibly with the AA defense consumable

[SCRUB]
Players
5,568 posts
11,269 battles
3 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

BTW, I managed to get 5 starts in 1st try yesterday on the PT... incredibly all players knew what to do (I was in "Farragut")... :Smile_medal:

Leo "Apollo11"

Same happened to me - but tbf, it's a very easy operation :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,429 posts

I was suprised that in my run no player went into the mines fields, although they are no shown only on the mini map

but I am sure that even in the current state, the op will be much harder on the live server, more potatos and less AA specced ships

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
1,808 posts
4,221 battles

I was wondering about whether you can bring the Haida. I suspect it would be pretty decent.

[SCRUB]
Players
5,568 posts
11,269 battles
26 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

I was wondering about whether you can bring the Haida. I suspect it would be pretty decent.

For what? Killing the torp boats doesn't require much gun power. What is kinda needed is long range AA dps.

• Cool 1

[DC_DK]
Players
2,725 posts
27,886 battles

Monaghan would be good in this scenario to, advantage is that you have Dfaa on both a and b hull

[POI--]
Players
5,927 posts
7,236 battles

Aigle. Only T6 allied DD I have. Not going to bother going up some other DD line, after I grinded to Algerie, Charles Martel and Chapa for past operations, while the rest of my fleet is useless for it.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

And of those how many did you finish? All 5?

Spoiler

:Smile_trollface: 

Players
1,558 posts
5,924 battles
1 hour ago, hgbn_dk said:

Monaghan would be good in this scenario to, advantage is that you have Dfaa on both a and b hull

I tried it out and I think the A Hull may still be a better choice -

A hull - 240 DPS at 7.2km & 38 DPS at 2.9km.

B hull - 64 DPS at 7.2km and 266 DPS at 5.1km & 38 DPS at 2.9km which, while it is slightly is better for AA, means losing two main guns which is worse against the Schnell Boats.

I just remembered that the figures don't include the additional 30% increase in DPS by CTRL & left clicking the squadrons.

Also (taken from the WOWS WIKI) - remember that deactivating AA fire (P key) will immediately terminate the Defensive AA Fire consumable if it is active and begin its cooldown. This can be used to shave a few seconds off until the next charge is ready if all enemy planes are shot down before your Def AA runs out.

• Cool 2

[KAKE]
Players
1,808 posts
4,221 battles
1 hour ago, aboomination said:

For what? Killing the torp boats doesn't require much gun power. What is kinda needed is long range AA dps.

Well, if someone wants to gift me a Sims or Monaghan, I'll gladly use that. Otherwise, my options are Aigle, Gallant and Haida if it counts. 

[DC_DK]
Players
2,725 posts
27,886 battles

To bad they have changed the scenario. ruin the immersion with US and Russian DD's added.. They could have kept as is with the 2 T-V DD's they provided last time. and Gallant. Only really change needed to be adding Aigle.

Players
1,558 posts
5,924 battles
1 hour ago, Uglesett said:

Well, if someone wants to gift me a Sims or Monaghan, I'll gladly use that. Otherwise, my options are Aigle, Gallant and Haida if it counts. 

The Aigle & Gallant aren't great at AA despite being good ships but the Haida is OK/Average, even without the Def AA skill which comes with the USN ships, but the PTS (as it doesn't have Premium ships) doesn't make clear whether Commonwealth ships are allowed.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,448 posts
15,754 battles
2 hours ago, IanH755 said:

Also (taken from the WOWS WIKI) - remember that deactivating AA fire (P key) will immediately terminate the Defensive AA Fire consumable if it is active and begin its cooldown. This can be used to shave a few seconds off until the next charge is ready if all enemy planes are shot down before your Def AA runs out.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

[DC_DK]
Players
2,725 posts
27,886 battles

Thinks it would have been fun if they kept the T-V bracket and allowed RN and MN cruisers into the mix, together with the T-V DD's WG provided for this scenario, Would better fit the time frame of the scenario.

[P-W-C]
Players
5,066 posts
28,145 battles
6 hours ago, IanH755 said:

My Kidd running a full AA build (signals, upgrades etc) with the same 19pt Captain swapped from the Sims, runs 570 DPS at 7.2km (127mm) and another 360 DPS at 5.1km (40mm) when using Def AA so over 930 AA DPS at 5.1km in total (although the 127mm Aura works slower than the 40mm one so using "DPS" isn't technically accurate) [plus another 50 DPS (20mm) at 2.9km for almost 1000 DPS, thats only 100 DPS less than my full AA build (same as Kidd) Atlanta - In A DD!!!!

That's kind of insane :cap_wander_2:. No T8 CV can handle such AA. Slowly getting points for manual AA.

Sign in to follow this