Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DangerousDave2k

Low frame rate at low utilisation

26 comments in this topic

Players
204 posts
9,050 battles

Wasn't sure which bit of the forum to put this in, but anyway: I'm running a GTX1070/5820k/16GB RAM/1440P monitor, but am frequently seeing low frame rates around 40-50FPS. When I check utilisation, both the CPU and GPU are around 50% or below. Temperatures are fine in both cases. I've tried removing the driver and reinstalling but no cigar. Can anyone suggest how to fix this issue?

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,670 posts
11,170 battles

Hi all,

23 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Wasn't sure which bit of the forum to put this in, but anyway: I'm running a GTX1070/5820k/16GB RAM/1440P monitor, but am frequently seeing low frame rates around 40-50FPS. When I check utilisation, both the CPU and GPU are around 50% or below. Temperatures are fine in both cases. I've tried removing the driver and reinstalling but no cigar. Can anyone suggest how to fix this issue?

As far as we know the WoWs is only CPU limited... the GPUs are used with rather low utilization...

BTW, I have nVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB (i7 6700K with 16GB RAM and 2x SSD) and I see 60 FPS 99.99% of time (I play 1920x1200 locked to 60 Hz)...

You play at 1440P ?

Leo "Apollo11"

Players
147 posts
7,186 battles

if have a 1080ti and a 7600k both overclocked and im at around 120 frames at 1080p highest settings and grafic mods

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
717 posts
11,878 battles

I run an old 6700k OC'd to 4.6GHz, and an old GTX680. I get about 70fps. It's quite possible the OP's CPU is the weakest link, one of the cores is probably running maxed out. It is very difficult to make efficient multi-core software, especially in the context of computer games due to the real-time nature and expensive thread synchronisation overheads.

[DAVY]
Players
1,933 posts
10,717 battles

dual core Pentium G3258 and 1060 3gb can easily hit the 60fps limit even running stock at 3.2ghz, most of time it's cranked up to 4.5ghz with no cooling issues...

[_OPC_]
Players
442 posts
12,909 battles

Welcome to soviet stronk coding ... i wonder who code their ICBMs ... I bet 90% will arm and detonate before launch

• Boring 1

[UNOVI]
[UNOVI]
Players
58 posts
18,567 battles

i7 8700 gtx 1080 16g 2560x1080 75hz

getting frame drop as well. it happens randomly. even at the port (the philippines)  while doing nothing.

defo something went wrong with the game client.

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
585 posts
4,395 battles

I was getting pretty horrible frame rates last few days as well.

Dropped to around 20 (while it was above 60 before) yesterday, which was unplayable.

Restarting my comp did get it back to 50 ish for a while, but there is definitely something wrong in this patch.

Players
923 posts
14,649 battles
On 1/9/2018 at 1:36 AM, morgoroth said:

Welcome to soviet stronk coding ... i wonder who code their ICBMs ... I bet 90% will arm and detonate before launch

It might be "faulty" coding, but very few pieces of software are free from that, because...

On 31/8/2018 at 10:57 PM, Armorin said:

It's quite possible the OP's CPU is the weakest link, one of the cores is probably running maxed out. It is very difficult to make efficient multi-core software, especially in the context of computer games due to the real-time nature and expensive thread synchronisation overheads.

A lot of the current software is still devised as running in a single-core, single-thread CPU, with little to no concern put into fine tuning the management of resources. Under such circumstances it's no wonder that most computational time is done by one thread/core while the others stay idle. The couple of programs I've seen that make a somewhat efficient use of multi-cores were almost purpose-built, and in both cases belonged to academic and research institutions.

Salute.

Players
499 posts
5,039 battles

Same thing happened last time they "fixed" the render delay. For me it's mostly a ping jump whenever a new ship has rendered, and mostly stabilises once all ships have rendered at least once.

For reference, I am running a gaming laptop with a GTX970m and get solid 70fps.

[DSPA]
Beta Tester
280 posts

Don't think it's your hardware but more likely out of sync data in the game. I would check your network connection / firewall whatever for consistency.

Players
204 posts
9,050 battles

Welp, still being plagued by this issue. Turning fast sync on (which should allow the system to churn out its maximum fps), the game generally runs at around 75fps but drops to 45fps in many battles when things get busy. I have monitored the hardware usage and the GPU is sitting around 40% while the most heavily taxed CPU core is averaging around 45% over a gaming session. The temperatures are around 40C (CPU) and 50C (GPU) respectively. I can't work out what is holding performance back.

[HALON]
Players
599 posts
9,090 battles
On 31/8/2018 at 9:45 PM, DangerousDave2k said:

That has to be the cpu. I have a 1080 with an i7 and i'm sitting at max 120 min 100 fps at 2k resolution.

Players
204 posts
9,050 battles
1 hour ago, Amon_ITA said:

That has to be the cpu. I have a 1080 with an i7 and i'm sitting at max 120 min 100 fps at 2k resolution.

But in what way? IMO Haswell running at 4.3GHz should not be bottlenecking like that. And CPU utilisation is less than half even on the most heavily worked core.

[HALON]
Players
599 posts
9,090 battles
1 minute ago, DangerousDave2k said:

But in what way? IMO Haswell running at 4.3GHz should not be bottlenecking like that. And CPU utilisation is less than half even on the most heavily worked core.

Difficult to say. Could be a lot of different things.

Even video card drivers. Did you update regularly ? Do you have lower than expected performance in other games / apps ?

Players
204 posts
9,050 battles

Other games seem to perform fine (not that I have a lot of other games). Witcher 3 is getting about 80%-100% GPU utilisation locked at 60fps, and the system scores about where it should in Unigine Heaven, Timespy and Cinebench. Getting around 95-100fps completely maxed out 1440P on World of Tanks.

Players
293 posts
7,242 battles
19 hours ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Do you know what the RAM issue he had was? My RAM is 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 so should be plenty of bandwidth.

Either faulty RAM chip or missmatched RAM - not entirely sure.

[HALON]
Players
599 posts
9,090 battles
8 hours ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Other games seem to perform fine (not that I have a lot of other games). Witcher 3 is getting about 80%-100% GPU utilisation locked at 60fps, and the system scores about where it should in Unigine Heaven, Timespy and Cinebench. Getting around 95-100fps completely maxed out 1440P on World of Tanks.

Well that means that's not your pc we have to look to find the problem no ?

I would start starting the game without any kind of mods ( if you use them ). if that does not solve the problem give a look to the graphical options in game ( triple buffer and vertical sync expecially ) and to the system wide graphical options ( nvidia control panel / rivatuner if you use it etc etc ). I would not force anything from the nvidia control panel / riva tuner and let the game decide everything. having done that i would set the gme to run without vertical sync and triple buffer and see what happens.

If that does not work, last ditch effort would be to entirely remove and reinstall WOWS.

Players
204 posts
9,050 battles

Just to update, I'm now fairly sure that it is indeed the CPU that is bottlenecking the system: when I set the CPU clock to 3.5GHz, the low frame rates got much worse, and GPU utilisation was about 30%; when I set the clock at 4GHz (+15% approx), frame rates rose by about 15%, as did GPU utilisation.

But I cannot understand this at all. Amon_ITA reported achieving 120FPS with his i7. I don't know which i7 it is so let's assume it's an 8700k at 5GHz. That would give it about a 35% single thread advantage over my CPU at 4GHz - but he's getting around double the FPS!!???

This is doing my head in - I upgraded this system mostly to play WOWS but I can't get the game to run even 60fps solid.

Sign in to follow this