You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

From @Sub_Octavian at Reddit - [PTS 0.7.9] Arms race concerns

25 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,678 posts
11,301 battles

Hi all,

From @Sub_Octavian at Reddit - [PTS 0.7.9] Arms race concerns:

Have you guys tried it on new PT (i.e. "Public Test Server") v0.7.9 ?

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

Players
1,009 posts
6,188 battles

It is really fun, and the fact you can choose not to play it will prevent the realistic lovers community becoming crazy.

I was at first disappointed it was for tiers 9 and 10 only but the MM argument makes sense and this is actually a nice idea imo. 

I will love playing these kind of matches from time to time. The fact that it heavily favors DDs and BBs on the other hand is more concerning for me. How to make it as good for cruisers than it is for DDs who can compete for the buff in early game, and BBs who can wait to stack them later with no risks? 

Players
1,009 posts
6,188 battles
5 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

T-VIII already is the bottom tier in random....

Yeah, that's why they decided that, to prevent it being even MORE often low tier

Supertester
2,437 posts
10,229 battles
5 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Yeah, that's why they decided that, to prevent it being even MORE often low tier

My assumption is that the uneven up/downtiering for T8 is the main reason this gamemode exists, to be honest.

• Cool 2

[DC_DK]
Players
2,725 posts
27,886 battles

Don't know if it can be top tier more often, even with ranked around you easily be the only one on your team rest with most T-X

Supertester
2,437 posts
10,229 battles
2 minutes ago, ZoidFile said:

So we have to play this no way to opt out?

Have you read it? It's a selectable gamemode. So, no. Juts like nobody forces you to play ranked, or PvE, or scenarios.

[-MM]
[-MM]
Players
514 posts
10,593 battles
1 minute ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

Have you read it? It's a selectable gamemode. So, no. Juts like nobody forces you to play ranked, or PvE, or scenarios.

I already edited my post.

[HOO]
Players
1,602 posts
3,129 battles
46 minutes ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

My assumption is that the uneven up/downtiering for T8 is the main reason this gamemode exists, to be honest.

So just give T8 it's own protected MM, problem solved.

But the new mode looks like a lot of fun, however if players can't grasp the basic game concepts already, how the hell are they supposed to understand this new mode. Also why take a T9, when a T10 will get more powerful with the boosters. And The T10's that already have good DPM or concealment, and are borderline OP just become OP. Everyone will take those ships and nothing else.

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,429 posts
Vor 9 Minuten, Fat_Maniac sagte:

how the hell are they supposed to understand this new mode.

maybe WG expects that those that do not understand the new mode won't chose it :Smile_child:

(yes I know that this expectation is very likely wrong :Smile_hiding:)

[SM0KE]
Players
3,429 posts
8,886 battles
5 hours ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

I won't be holding my breath on this - they tried something similar with WOT, and the T8s still continued to have a torrid time with MM...

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,865 posts
4,627 battles

Making new game modes for tier 10/9 only for the purpose of getting those tiers out of the mm doesnt work and just leads to frustration. Talk to the world of tanks team about it.

Seems like a fun little mode tho

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,865 posts
4,627 battles

" 2. Tiers. So, we introduce the mode for T9-10, because according to our prediction based on actual production MM stats, if we allow lower tiers there, we have a huge risk of making Random battles MM worse. E.g. if we allow T8 to participate, T8 in Randoms will most likely be lowest tier in battle MORE, and will be in minority in such battles MORE - which is of course bad, and we don't want to make anyone's experience worse. As a good side effect of this decision, T7-8 Randoms MM might actually become better, as some amount of T9-10 ships will migrate to the new mode."

If you want to fix tier 8 matchmaking, this is very simple: Stop making every single event for tier 10. Simple

[DC_DK]
Players
2,725 posts
27,886 battles

Since T-VIII is the biggest tier where you can buy premium ships directly in the shop it would make sense, to run this mode in T-VIII exclusively. It would create a market for more T-VIII players. Meaning newer players spending more money in the shop. Keep Clan battles in Tier X, but spread the goodies evenly in rest of the events.

[WCWVE]
Players
908 posts
14,724 battles

I have tried this mode and it is quite enjoyable - thumbs up for this (instead of Thumbs down for the Epicentre mode)

Players
684 posts
5,469 battles

They tried the same thing with Grand battles in WoT to take the edge of t8. It didn't work and nobody plays it. I am confident this is going to happen here as well, but I don't mind being wrong in this case.

Seperating the queue is good though. The mode isn't for me, but since I don't have to risk playing it in the random queue, that is perfectly fine. Not every piece of content has to appeal to everyone so long as we can pick and choose the parts we actually do like.

• Cool 1

[2137]
[2137]
Weekend Tester
318 posts
6,494 battles
5 hours ago, hgbn_dk said:

Don't know if it can be top tier more often, even with ranked around you easily be the only one on your team rest with most T-X

Not that many people actually care about ranked.

Supertester
2,437 posts
10,229 battles
23 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

So just give T8 it's own protected MM, problem solved.

But the new mode looks like a lot of fun, however if players can't grasp the basic game concepts already, how the hell are they supposed to understand this new mode. Also why take a T9, when a T10 will get more powerful with the boosters. And The T10's that already have good DPM or concealment, and are borderline OP just become OP. Everyone will take those ships and nothing else.

Yeah, protected MM really worked awesomely well so far! Protected MM for T4 totally didn't basically ruin T6 and T5. I'm sorry, the more exceptions you add to MM, the more problems you create. Giving protected MM to T8 (How is it even supposed to work? -2+1 or what?) will very likely simply cause huge problems for T9 and T6 and T7.

[HOO]
Players
1,602 posts
3,129 battles
51 minutes ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

Yeah, protected MM really worked awesomely well so far! Protected MM for T4 totally didn't basically ruin T6 and T5. I'm sorry, the more exceptions you add to MM, the more problems you create. Giving protected MM to T8 (How is it even supposed to work? -2+1 or what?) will very likely simply cause huge problems for T9 and T6 and T7.

And this wont work either. From what I've seen, Arm's race will be a DD and cruiser fest, leaving T10 BB's with no one to match up with except T8. T8 MM will get worse not better as even more T8's are pulled into T10 to build matches, and I bet we see the MM go into panic mode with people waiting over the time limit, and the MM dropping mirroring and class balancing to throw a game together.

Supertester
2,437 posts
10,229 battles
4 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

And this wont work either. From what I've seen, Arm's race will be a DD and cruiser fest, leaving T10 BB's with no one to match up with except T8. T8 MM will get worse not better as even more T8's are pulled into T10 to build matches, and I bet we see the MM go into panic mode with people waiting over the time limit, and the MM dropping mirroring and class balancing to throw a game together.

Completely ignoring the question if anyone will play armsrace alltogether, I very much doubt your assumption in regards to class distribution in the mode itself. I’ve got the suspicion you haven’t understood how it works, honestly.

[HOO]
Players
1,602 posts
3,129 battles
5 minutes ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

Completely ignoring the question if anyone will play armsrace alltogether, I very much doubt your assumption in regards to class distribution in the mode itself. I’ve got the suspicion you haven’t understood how it works, honestly.

I understand, but since Flamu has said its a mode for DD's and cruisers, and don't bother taking a T9, you know what's going to happen ....

Personally I think it looks fun and brings something different to the game, just worried about balance of the buff areas for each team, and ships which are borderline OP or definetly OP - Worchester for example, become real monsters if their team can rack up the buffs. If WG don't get balance right nobody will play

[TTT]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

haven't played it myself yet, but from what I've seen I sort of suspect a secondary reason for the matchmaking limit they set is... playing T8s against T10s is already bad enough... would you really want to play a T8 against T10s that have grabbed a bunch of these buffs (and have a much easier time doing so early on simply because their ships are better at everything)? If they open this up for more tiers at some point, I suspect they will want to give this mode specifically +-1 matchmaking (which would conveniently also serve as an outlet for all the whiners that keep demanding +-1 - they could just go play this...).