Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Isoruku_Yamamoto

Return the Kitakami- for PvE

25 comments in this topic

Players
693 posts
8,841 battles

Hello everyone,

Whomever has seen the kitakami will know what i'm talking about. I'd love to see this ship return to the game- but i really understand why it doesnt quite fit in the regular random matches. However, i feel like it would be insanely cool if we had access to it anyway in some way, even if it is only in coop battles, training rooms and/ or operations. 

I've never played that ship, but i would totally love to- so please bring it back to WoWS. 

• Cool 3

[ONE2]
Players
2,932 posts
17,488 battles

Well, they could just limit it to a maximum of 1 per team just like the CV's, but without mirrored MM (so you could have one in either team or 1 in both teams) and I think it might be OK for randoms too.:cap_yes:

[COMFY]
Players
582 posts
1,475 battles

Can someone explain what’s up with this boat?

all I know that it is a torpedo cruiser that did nothing cause CVs.

(we aready have skillkaze with 3x5 torp wall, so I’m not sure what’s up)

[ONE2]
Players
2,932 posts
17,488 battles
2 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Can someone explain what’s up with this boat?

all I know that it is a torpedo cruiser that did nothing cause CVs.

It is basically a Kuma with 10km torps and fewer guns BUT with 40 torpedo tubes....:cap_haloween:

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,214 posts
6,518 battles
2 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Hello everyone,

Whomever has seen the kitakami will know what i'm talking about. I'd love to see this ship return to the game- but i really understand why it doesnt quite fit in the regular random matches. However, i feel like it would be insanely cool if we had access to it anyway in some way, even if it is only in coop battles, training rooms and/ or operations. 

I've never played that ship, but i would totally love to- so please bring it back to WoWS. 

It was more a meme rather than actually good.

About 1% of the time it managed to sow terror as it managed to launch 40 torps into a group of enemies. The remaining 99% it got spotted and died instantly since it's basically the tier 4 Kuma at tier 8, with less guns.

It also had IIRC the highest amount of TK, because people either launched all 40 from second line and killed their own DD accidentally or because people decided to deliberately launch all 40 at their own team as they leave spawn for TK carnage.

Coop players are.....not always the best and are probably the most likely to second line torp. 

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,744 posts
7,207 battles

It's a Kuma in which they mounted 4x5 torpedo tube. Per side.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's even historical. The IJN really did modify two Kuma like that.

As other said, it's a meme. It was funny but stupid.

Yet I really, really wants it again too.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[COMFY]
Players
582 posts
1,475 battles
8 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

It is basically a Kuma with 10km torps and fewer guns BUT with 40 torpedo tubes....:cap_haloween:

10x4 total torp tubes, 5 per side if Wikipedia is right... so 20 torps per side.

So why was it removed in the first place anyway?

edit:got ninjad by @Xevious_Red

that said, it certainly sounds fun. Also TK system has been changed since then I belive, now its the matter of getting peeps into caps. 

[ONE2]
Players
2,932 posts
17,488 battles
13 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

It was more a meme rather than actually good.

About 1% of the time it managed to sow terror as it managed to launch 40 torps into a group of enemies. The remaining 99% it got spotted and died instantly since it's basically the tier 4 Kuma at tier 8, with less guns.

It also had IIRC the highest amount of TK, because people either launched all 40 from second line and killed their own DD accidentally or because people decided to deliberately launch all 40 at their own team as they leave spawn for TK carnage.

Coop players are.....not always the best and are probably the most likely to second line torp. 

Yeah well, nothing that a little buff to the gun reload, 12 km torpedo range and perhaps DW torps / puff of smoke can't solve methinks. Just lack of imagination on WG's part. After all, we already got the RN Cruisers and Asashio so why the heck not? :cap_haloween:

Of course, the TK problem is whole another thing (because I can totally see, how this would become a potato-magnet), but perhaps the new pinky rules working now so the temptation would be less. Or else make it limited edition award ship, just for the pros or something.:cap_hmm:

And yeah, it is unbalanced, but then again just limit it to a maximum of 1 per team and be done with it. :Smile_great:

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,744 posts
7,207 battles
2 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Of course, the TK problem is whole another thing, but perhaps the new pinky rules working now so the temptation would be less. Or else make it limited edition award ship, just for the pros or something.:cap_hmm:

Make it a ranked reward and I'll work my arse off to get it. You'll never see me this motivated for this game again. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 3

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,214 posts
6,518 battles
3 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yeah well, nothing that a little buff to the gun reload, 12 km torpedo range and perhaps DW torps / puff of smoke can't solve methinks. Just lack of imagination on WG's part. After all, we already got the RN Cruisers so why the heck not? :cap_haloween:

Of course, the TK problem is whole another thing, but perhaps the new pinky rules working now so the temptation would be less. Or else make it limited edition award ship, just for the pros or something.:cap_hmm:

This would be my preference (both for buffs and availability).

When it was last brought up to Devs the DW torps now existing was listed as giving it the slimmest chance of coming back (presumably so the second liners don't hit their own DD).

There is of course the possibility of giving it even longer ranges but BB/CV only as a cruiser version of the asashio.

Since the asashio is grumbled about a lot anyway (I personally love it) Because of braindeads in it, but a cruiser version would be even more derpy. The asashio has the utility of the 5.4 detection. Imagine a ship that has no utility but can spam 40 torps. The bot players dream!

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,932 posts
17,488 battles

True all dat @Xevious_Red. Though detection ranges can be adjusted to provide increased utility too (oh wait, tier 8 gets the Concealment module doesn't it? Problem solved.). I would like to see it in game, but perhaps limited edition only (to avoid potato plague) and definitely with a capped MM to max 0-1 per team.:cap_old:

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
1,911 posts
21,039 battles

Very unlikely that it will ever return. It is totally unbalanced ship. Its torpedo armament is too strong even for T10 but on the other hand gun power, AA and ship itself is too week for T8. Even if WG should bring it back just for scenarios they would have to design special scenario just for this ship and I doubt they are willing to waste resources on that. And releasing the ship just for coop is out of question. Maybe for some  specific scenarios like Halloween or April First WG could bring it back temporary just for duration of scenario but it is hard to expect more than that.

Players
1,549 posts
5,911 battles

It would work in a "special" mode like the Halloween/April Fools ships etc do and I think it'd be great to have it as an "Operation Only" ship like the DD's in the original "Dynamo" etc (or available once you have earned over 1000 Stars in Ops or similar) but it couldn't be sold anymore, not with all the limitations people/WG would put on it i.e. not for PvP modes etc.

Players
693 posts
8,841 battles

But don't you all agree that the posed potential problems of this ship are all negated when you simply dont allow it to go into random mode?

Sure, it is broken for random mode- 1 battle you'll be sinking three yamatos while the next you cant even outgun a minsk, but that's why i think it should just get a special status then. It is such a shame to have it removed completely

Players
914 posts
11,130 battles

Now, this might sound like sacrilege to some, but I "always" argued for - similarly to ships obtainable by dedicated competitive play - ships obtainable only by AND for PvE play.

Because let's be real - who is it going to hurt this? In PvE, it doesn't even matter if a ship is not really that competitive (~"useless") as long as it's fun.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
1,911 posts
21,039 battles
48 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

But don't you all agree that the posed potential problems of this ship are all negated when you simply dont allow it to go into random mode?

Sure, it is broken for random mode- 1 battle you'll be sinking three yamatos while the next you cant even outgun a minsk, but that's why i think it should just get a special status then. It is such a shame to have it removed completely

But for example she doesn't fit in any of current operations. And even for coop she is far for good ship as bots are usually good at dodging torps and Kitakami don't have much beside them. It is similar situation with Shira which for randoms is preferable with TRB but in coop smoke is much more valuable. 

Also how do you think that WG should give it to the players. They couldn't sell an T8 ship just for coop games at least not for the same price as "regular" T8 premium. And soon as players buy it there will be outcry because it could be only used in coop. For scenarios WG would need to design optimal scenario for this ship which would be too much job for very limited purpose. If it would be obtainable for steel or coal or FXP or any other "free" way you'll have same situation where people will complain for wasting resources for ship which could be used only in PvE modes. And possibly she won't be the same fun ship as she was before because game evolved from the days when Kitakami roamed maps. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
5 hours ago, howardxu_23 said:

10x4 total torp tubes, 5 per side if Wikipedia is right... so 20 torps per side.

So why was it removed in the first place anyway?

edit:got ninjad by @Xevious_Red

that said, it certainly sounds fun. Also TK system has been changed since then I belive, now its the matter of getting peeps into caps. 

There were several problems

1. The TK issue was a huge problem, especially when the ship ended up in hands of people with little to no DD experience (due to WG premium ship policy where the only thing you need to play a premium ship is money to buy her)

2. The ship was unbalanced. And by "unbalanced" I don't mean OP or UP - she was just so strange. She did nothing other than torping and she couldn't even stealth-torp if I'm not wrong... but when she was torping, the sea was full of torps.

3. She was a premium generating unsatisfied customers. People saw all these torps and they felt like they needed her - and then they got her and realized that it's basically a joke ship in most circumstances (see #2).

4. Torpedo soup was a problem back then. As you can imagine, Kitakami's existence wasn't exactly helping :Smile_trollface:

Players
4,460 posts
9,412 battles
7 hours ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Hello everyone,

I would actually like this idea :Smile_great:

I had been thinking about other things, like PvE ops for CVs or DDs or even a fight against a H44 (or using an H44 :Smile_hiding:).

Obviously stuff like this would never work in randoms, but might still be fun, if only for training room messing around :cap_viking:

Players
693 posts
8,841 battles

On how WG would present it:

1. Through a combat mission

2. Purchasable in the arsenal for a reasonably low amount of coal or even a tiny bit of steel. Just considering that it would be a tier 8 with very limited use, really a prankster ship, should put its corrected cost in doubloons at an estimated 2000 doubloons max IMO. 
3. Just purchasable for money. Believe me, i'd throw in 5eu to get that thing. Not much more, but just for the mere fun of it.

4. As replacement or addition to the horribly poor reward on the "Honorable service" campaing. The Shinonome doesn't exactly shine in my opinion, and i'd gladly trade it in for a kitakame (the PvE kitakami that is, i am never expecting the kitakami to return to PvP). 

I don't feel like it would hurt operations or coop whatsoever, because a proper player can win a tier 8 coop match on his own. If the kitakami would be overpowered or underpowered for PvE gameplay, then that would just be through the players commanding it- some players manage to get winrates of below 80% in PvE while most have a comfortable over 95% win (in coop, operations are somewhat more tricky). 

And as said; whom would it hurt? 
I wouldn't even care if the economics on the ship were horrible, i just want the gameplay. 

• Bad 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
1,911 posts
21,039 battles
8 hours ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

On how WG would present it:

1. Through a combat mission

2. Purchasable in the arsenal for a reasonably low amount of coal or even a tiny bit of steel. Just considering that it would be a tier 8 with very limited use, really a prankster ship, should put its corrected cost in doubloons at an estimated 2000 doubloons max IMO. 
3. Just purchasable for money. Believe me, i'd throw in 5eu to get that thing. Not much more, but just for the mere fun of it.

4. As replacement or addition to the horribly poor reward on the "Honorable service" campaing. The Shinonome doesn't exactly shine in my opinion, and i'd gladly trade it in for a kitakame (the PvE kitakami that is, i am never expecting the kitakami to return to PvP).

I don't feel like it would hurt operations or coop whatsoever, because a proper player can win a tier 8 coop match on his own. If the kitakami would be overpowered or underpowered for PvE gameplay, then that would just be through the players commanding it- some players manage to get winrates of below 80% in PvE while most have a comfortable over 95% win (in coop, operations are somewhat more tricky). 

And as said; whom would it hurt? 
I wouldn't even care if the economics on the ship were horrible, i just want the gameplay. 

Shinonome is a good ship and good prise for the campaign. At least, unlike your proposal for Kitakami, it could be used in all game modes. Selling a ship that is only usable in coops is ridicules. Not everyone plays coop. And even in coop ships that heavily depend on torps as main damage are not a good choice. It have pathetic guns, any DD in 1v1 could kill Kitakami just by using guns. So why will other people buy it for? For operations? There is only single one for T8 and even in it Katakami won't be usable. So WG would need to design operation specifically for that ship and with current rotation Kitakami owners will be able to play it couple of weeks during the year. And how long till the players start complain why they can't use their Kitakami in random matches?

As a sort of dedicated ship for some event scenario like Halloween or April First, ship that will be available for all players I would say yes. For the things you are proposing definitely no.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,711 posts
6,813 battles
12 hours ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

fumtu beat to it but no. Shinonome is a great little tier 6 DD that trades torp range for better dueling power (which IJN lacks almost completely so not a bad tradeoff) and if tier 6 ranked rolls around the Shinonome is a top pick.

Kitakami as a special operation ship yeah sure. But locking it in the boring as hell Coop battles? Very much no.

Players
1,009 posts
6,188 battles

During Gamescom, Sub_Octavian was asked "Will Kitakami come back"?

He looked annoyed, then said the probability is extremely low.

Then he said, "well we now have deep water torpedoes, so I suppose it could increase the probability a little bit, but it stays extremely low."

So translation:

Stop bothering us with Kitakami please this ship was a mistake and will never come back.

Unless we have a riot it will stay buried and never see the sun again.

And if by a totally unlikely miracle, that happens, it will be deep water torps that will hit only BBs or CVs.

Forget about it, the ship was stupid.

Sign in to follow this