Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
elblancogringo

gearing upgrades and consumables

16 comments in this topic

Players
1,009 posts
6,188 battles

Hi

I just unlocked the Gearing and I wanted to ask you about the upgrades and consumables.

For now, I am running with the AA range upgrade and DefAA consumable.

However, I'm hesitating and don't know if it's worth it. Should I replace those by aiming system 1 and sped boost?

Also what are your tier 4 captain skills? I have CE and RPF, are you guys using AFT with Gearing?

Cheers

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
13 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Hi

I just unlocked the Gearing and I wanted to ask you about the upgrades and consumables.

However, I'm hesitating and don't know if it's worth it. Should I replace those by aiming system 1 and sped boost?

Also what are your tier 4 captain skills? I have CE and RPF, are you guys using AFT with Gearing?

Cheers

I don't have Gearing so take my advice with a grain of salt but...

1. If you find yourself in a CV match without Def A, you're likely to suffer and curse your choice. Still, most matches you won't see CVs. It's your choice to pick the extremely influential but very situational def. AA or with much less game-changing but consistently useful speed boost.

2. AA range isn't something Gearing has all that much use for. Your AA is more of a self-defense thing and for that great range isn't that important. Then again, aiming system isn't too crucial for short-range gunfights (and at long range your main problem is the shell arc, not dispersion) so if you feel better with a bit more AA coverage, go ahead. Obviously the choice only makes any sense if you use AA consumable - without it any AA buffs are meaningless.

3. AFT on USN and high tier PA DDs is useless. You use 4 points on something that doesn't really affect your effective range (these arcs!) but makes you spotted from further away when you fire guns. Not a good pick. If you find yourself with 4 spare points, it's better to pick some 3-point skill. I mean, Gearing has great use of almost all of them

- SE for extra 3500 hp

- TAE + Fletcher torps to show that Gearing is one of the best torpboats in the game (because why wouldn't the original t10 gunboat be on par in torping with Shimakaze:Smile_trollface:)

- BFT gives you pure DPM

- SI gives you more smokes

- DE is always good on gun-focused DDs because small rapid-fire guns benefit a lot from the seemingly small fire chance increase

- even Vigilance, if you find yourself struggling with enemy torps when you, say, peacefully rain fire on people from your LONG-lasting smoke

As for t4, on the other hand... Well, CE and  RPF seem to be the only t4 skills that are well suited for Gearing.

But, as I already mentioned - I've played Chung Mu and some other t9-10 DDs but I never got that high with USN DDs, so my advice doesn't come from direct experience with the ship. Be warned :Smile-_tongue:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
57 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Hi

Cheers

Hi.

I have had Gearing for long time and I have used it also in Clan Battles.

I am running the following captain setup in randoms and competitive also:

Preventive maintenance

Torpedo acceleration, Last Stand

Survivability expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise

Radio Location, concealment expert

I am also using top torps with 71 knots and 13.2km range.

Upgrades boost faster reload for torpedoes, others depend on if you are using it clan battles or elswhere.

for CB you do not need anything for AA and you should use speedboost, but for randoms AA range upgrade and defensive fire are good ones, just in case there are CV-s.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,594 posts
16,718 battles

Your AA is more for self defense. AA range should only be taken on troll full AA builds.

DFAA however is useful in every match to shoot down catapult planes quickly. Sacrificing the speed boost for that is more than worth it.

And ofc if there's a CV around you can disrupt or even outright kill strikes without relying on your teammates.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,593 posts
14,041 battles

Hi there,

I am using the following setup on mine:

Priority Target, Preventive maintenance

Adrenaline Rush, Last Stand

Survivability expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Basic Firing Training

Concealment expert

Also I am running the Def AA module and consumable, just because I can.

In the end it is mostly all about personal preference, e.g. while @Kenliero has maximized his torpedo power, my build is somewhat more focused on DD gun duels, respectively swiss army kniving (TAE+BFT+AR work nicely together once you did your first couple of clashes and are on below 50% health or similar).

Would not recommend AFT though.

• Cool 1

[BOA2Y]
Beta Tester
4,704 posts
20,626 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

DFAA however is useful in every match to shoot down catapult planes quickly. Sacrificing the speed boost for that is more than worth it.

What he said, Def AA is useful not only in CV games, but to kill the single spotter/fighter when needed. And is fast enough even without speed boost.

AA module because the accuracy module with US destroyer gun arcs dont go well together.

Players
52 posts
4,679 battles

And how often do you really need to shoot down the single spotter plane? Sure it happens, but not that often. I run with def AA on my Gearing, mainly to have another 30 seconds of existence when a TX CV decides to kill you (then he waits until your def AA runs out and kills you anyway), or to save your allies. Since there arent that many CV games, choosing speed boost is also a fine choice imo. And you can easily just swap around and see what you prefer.

If you go defensive AA, definitely take the AA range upgrade. First of all, against TX CVs your AA isn't going to shoot down much anyway. Some people claim that Gearing with defensive AA wipes out flights from a Midway, this is ridiculous and does not happen, once in a while you will shoot down a plane. But if as a miracle you have that cruiser or BB without defensive AA actually support you, then you can save his [edited]when a CV attacks him by at least panicking the planes. And it isn't like the other upgrades in that slot are really useful on a Gearing. 

And like others said, don't bother with AFT. It is a bit a shame Gearing has less range than Fletcher, and despite the gun arcs I wouldn't mind having a bit more range. But you don't need the amount AFT gives you, and I could easily fill in a 25 point commander without using AFT on a Gearing: You have way more useful captain skills to use your points on.

Players
260 posts
4,654 battles

Captain Skills:

PM, LS, SE, CE, AR, BFT, RPF

Modules:

Legendary + gun reload

Speed boost instead of DefAA.

With this setup 5.6 surface detectability range and 2.7s gun reload.
Long range torps.

I play it like a dd hunter.

Beta Tester
234 posts
6,660 battles

Gearing is very versatile so there are a lot of valid builds depending on what you want to emphasise. I've gone for preventative maintenance, last stand, survivability expert, concealment expert, RPF, adrenaline rush and torpedo armourment expertise and equipped the fletcher's 10.5km torpedoes and the module for faster torpedo reload. I'd previously had BFT and priority target instead of RPF which will give you an advantage in a knife fight against another DD but wanted to re-try using radio location and I'm definitely feeling the benefits. Most builds will play around with whether or not you have RPF and which 3 point skills you take with SE, BFT, torpedo expert and superintendent all being valid choices.

Regarding def AA, aside from rapidly getting rid of the odd spotter plane its pretty useless until its absolutely essential. You'll rarely meet carriers and when you do there is only a small chance they'll be any good, but on that rare occasion when they are def AA can prevent a completely ruined game. I've run it up until now out of caution but recently swapped to speed boost for ranked.

Players
52 posts
4,679 battles

I like torps btw, so I do have TAE captain skill + module, but gun boost is also fine option. It really is a matter of preference, and lack of captain skills to do both. Only recently I got 19 point captain, and now for ranked (and also next CB season) I switched DE + PT for RPF. In purely random I think DE (of BFT) + PT has my preference over RPF, but for ranked / CBs it is quite useful.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,628 posts
12,357 battles

I use the Fletcher torps.

Captain skills:

Priority Target + Preventive Maintenance

Adrenaline Rush + Last Stand

Survivability Expert + Torpedo Armament Expertise + Superintendent

Concealment Expert

I might switch to RPF (at the cost of PT and TAE) if Haragumo proves to be a real problem

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,675 posts
11,251 battles

Hi all,

5 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Captain skills:

Concealment Expert

Who gave you permission to use my US "Fletcher" (and "Sims" & "Kidd") Captain settings? :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Funny 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,747 posts
7,236 battles

I don't own Gearing, but I do own YueYang and I believe the playstyle is similar. At least when it comes to the guns.

I went for :

PT, PM, LS, SI, SE, RPF, CE.

As for the module, the good ol' accuracy+other buff in the 500k slot, and torpedo reload for the 3 millions slots.

Why torpedo reload ? Because torpedo are, in any case, a good source of damage and kill, and the module improves the long reload of YueYang a lot.

Now that Gearing got Fletcher torpedo option however, I think the gun DPM is the other good choice you can make.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
1 minute ago, lup3s said:

Captain skills:

Concealment Expert

I might switch to RPF (at the cost of PT and TAE) if Haragumo proves to be a real problem

I use much the same, but no PT (I assume everyone will shoot at me and I don't care if it's 1, 3 or 8 people) and no SI, I use RPF and find it very helpful.

As to modules Aiming Systems is my personal preference, as it helps torp tube traverse and honestly I don't find much value in either of the others.

I DO carry Def AA most of the time on my Gearing (and Fletcher), not because the AA is good, because it isn't, but for the panic effect if being struck by a CV and the "friendly" CV is too busy to help.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I utterly despise CV games and I try to avoid them due to the inequalities in CV skills, but if I do end up in a CV game then I've at least got 1 tool to help.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this