You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TheRonson

Shimakaze Enhanced Upgrades .............. very disappointing

19 comments in this topic

Players
198 posts

Just been trying a few of the Tier 10 Unique upgrades for certain ships. 

Such as the Shimakaze with 25% off the reload time, but minus 80% of the traverse speed and -50%  risk of incapacitation.

This makes the torps impossible to use if your normal gameplay is in amongst the enemy, or in situations where quick turns in the cap area are the norm you .......... you can forget it.

If you patrol the borders with 20k torps then this is for you. But I find it impossible to get used too, so that was a couple of wasted weeks.

Gone back the Tubes Mod 3 so it's only 10% loss on reloading time,  but get rid of the -80% traverse speed.

[N0RSE]
Players
1,735 posts
19 minutes ago, TheRonson said:

Just been trying a few of the Tier 10 Unique upgrades for certain ships. 

Such as the Shimakaze with 25% off the reload time, but minus 80% of the traverse speed and -50%  risk of incapacitation.

This makes the torps impossible to use if your normal gameplay is in amongst the enemy, or in situations where quick turns in the cap area are the norm you .......... you can forget it.

If you patrol the borders with 20k torps then this is for you. But I find it impossible to get used too, so that was a couple of wasted weeks.

Gone back the Tubes Mod 3 so it's only 10% loss on reloading time,  but get rid of the -80% traverse speed.

Only a few legendary upgrades are useful. The Shima one can be ok i guess. Montana upgrade for example is useless. 

But then again Yamato, Republique, Zao and Moskva are straight upgrades. 

Needs some work imo. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles

We have a nice poll where people say what they think about the upgrades. There's a lot of "don't know" from people who either don't care for a ship in question or are conflicted but it's still quite interesting to look at.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/105187-the-usefulness-of-the-unique-or-legendary-upgrades-do-you-use-or-strive-for-them/

To sum it up:

- Montana - crap

- Conqueror - rather crap

+ Hindenburg - rather good

+ Henry IV - maybe ok

- Minotaur - rather crap

- Worcester - rather crap

+ Khaba - maybe ok

- Z-52 - rather crap

- Gearing - rather crap

- Yueyang - crap

+ Republique - rather good

+ Groser Kurfurst - good

+ Yamato - amazing

+ Zao - great

- Des Moines - rather crap

+ Moskva - good

- Shimakaze - rather crap

+ Grozovoi - rather good

? Midway - huh?

? Hakuryu - what are carriers?

• Cool 5

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,789 posts
6,422 battles

and no sign of the Harugumo's legendary yet....

Supertester
2,429 posts
10,188 battles

This wasn't meant to simply improve ships, but to enable different playstyles. If you don't want it on Shima, don't take it.

You may not like it, but they haven't done such a bad job in that regard. Note that I do not like their existence in general, but still.

Players
349 posts
15,839 battles

What are you doing on the cap with that useless garbage-barge in the first place? :cap_tea:

• Funny 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,429 posts
45 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

yes. we've had... what? at least three separate threads about the Shima module alone? by now...

Maybe because that specific upgrade is simply so bad that some consider it a downgrade instead?

Some of the special upgrades are straight buffs to already strong ships. Others, like the Shima one, promote a rather stupid way of playing that isn't satisfying or rewarding.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
14 minutes ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

This wasn't meant to simply improve ships, but to enable different playstyles. If you don't want it on Shima, don't take it.

You may not like it, but they haven't done such a bad job in that regard. Note that I do not like their existence in general, but still.

Yeah, but why did they have to reinforce the dumbest playstyle?

Imagine, instead, a module giving +25% gun reload speed and +20% gun rotation speed - huge buffs but in an awkward place (remember that the slot normally gives you torp reload), where you sacrifice some of your primary weapon's potential but instead get guns that are much more viable (it won't make you a gunboat but for those who like to supplement their torp damage with guns it could be a great netto gain - plus being kited by such shima wouldn't be a nice experience for gunboats).

But no, we got a module that lets you spam torps more AND prevents you from getting close to the fight - because torpedo-soup-from-afar is exactly the playstyle we want to encourage, right? :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 2

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,862 posts
8,906 battles

We had exactly the same thread when they first became achievable.  Pity you didn't read the forum.

Players
5 posts
6,070 battles
22 minutes ago, eliastion said:

We have a nice poll where people say what they think about the upgrades. There's a lot of "don't know" from people who either don't care for a ship in question or are conflicted but it's still quite interesting to look at.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/105187-the-usefulness-of-the-unique-or-legendary-upgrades-do-you-use-or-strive-for-them/

To sum it up:

- Montana - crap

- Conqueror - rather crap

+ Hindenburg - rather good

+ Henry IV - maybe ok

- Minotaur - rather crap

- Worcester - rather crap

+ Khaba - maybe ok

- Z-52 - rather crap

- Gearing - rather crap

- Yueyang - crap

+ Republique - rather good

+ Groser Kurfurst - good

+ Yamato - amazing

+ Zao - great

- Des Moines - rather crap

+ Moskva - good

- Shimakaze - rather crap

+ Grozovoi - rather good

? Midway - huh?

? Hakuryu - what are carriers?

I use thought the same way on the Republique and Groser Kurfurst upgrade, but after I tried the one for Republique today, I change my mind. It is rather crap, the trade is you trade 6km range for 6%(18% faster reload with Unique vs 12% with standard one ) faster reload, 19.7 km range at T10 is just not enough, not without spotting plane. Same goes for Groser Kurfurst one, trade 8% range for 3%(15% faster reload on both main and secondary with Unique) faster reload is not a good trade when your base range is on 20km. Might be somewhat useful if you go for the secondary build, but the secondary build is not really that good at T10.

• Bad 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,247 posts
31,244 battles
5 hours ago, HMSHOOD2rd said:

I use thought the same way on the Republique and Groser Kurfurst upgrade, but after I tried the one for Republique today, I change my mind. It is rather crap, the trade is you trade 6km range for 6%(18% faster reload with Unique vs 12% with standard one ) faster reload, 19.7 km range at T10 is just not enough, not without spotting plane. Same goes for Groser Kurfurst one, trade 8% range for 3%(15% faster reload on both main and secondary with Unique) faster reload is not a good trade when your base range is on 20km. Might be somewhat useful if you go for the secondary build, but the secondary build is not really that good at T10.

19.7 km not enough , seems strange. It is few salvos I fire above 20 km, sure you miss a few opportunities but it is a trade, are you sure you miss on dpm totally?

Beta Tester, Players
628 posts
12,031 battles
8 hours ago, eliastion said:

Hakuryu - what are carriers?

It goes under rather good 

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,745 posts
7,207 battles

Midway upgrade is OP, while Hakuryuu upgrade is terrible. Honestly those two upgrades are the least balanced.

Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles
11 hours ago, HMSHOOD2rd said:

+ Khaba - maybe ok

Really? I've been looking forward to unlocking this. The extra range is very juicy because you already have too much firehose to care about RPM loss. The extra range goes very well with the ballistics too.

[THESO]
Players
583 posts
10,811 battles
11 hours ago, HMSHOOD2rd said:

Yes please stay at range. The one thing that saved that game is BBs spraying their shells at each other at 23 km while a radar cruiser or DD press that F3-button in vain. Plese WG give them a unique upgrade that trades range and gladly even reload for a boost in intitiative. What? You cannot do that? This feature lies with the player? Damn it, there is always a catch.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
50 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

Really? I've been looking forward to unlocking this. The extra range is very juicy because you already have too much firehose to care about RPM loss. The extra range goes very well with the ballistics too.

Well, I was just reporting what the poll results implied.

As for specifics of Khaba upgrade, there's the worry about the rudder shift  - you CAN fight at longer range but you might also NEED to do so to keep the ability to dodge incoming shells. At least these were problems Flamu saw afaik - I don't play nearly enough Khaba to worry about these things for a LONG time :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[STARS]
Beta Tester
132 posts
14,281 battles
51 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

I unlocked it, but didn't fitted it yet. I am in doubt about it, because you give up your ruddershift. And that is something a Khaba relies on a lot. 

The extra range is somehow meh, because at those ranges the shells start to float a lot.

• Cool 1

[BOBS]
Beta Tester
409 posts
13,207 battles

Fitted it, had some success with it dueling another Shima behind the opposing pillars, having both launched as we arrived in cap, he snuck out for his next salvo and mine was already at his bow.
That said I've now removed it as it also cost me in close encounters a couple of times.

Situational at best and when you're not the one dictaating play...