MrConway

Royal Navy Arc

24 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,723 posts
2,763 battles

Please leave any feedback on the Royal Navy Arc content in this thread.

Players
3,288 posts
15,196 battles

It's been a pleasure to be able to praise Wargaming lately for the Sharks v Eagles event, and for the Portal 2.0. That stops right here.

Normally I would give as full and as honest appraisal as I could. However that would get me banned.

1) In General the "Royal Navy Arc" (Where does this word "Arc" suddenly come from BTW?) is good in itself.

It builds on the ideas from previous events in enabling players to pick their own rewards - which is good.

The rewards are not mega-brilliant, but they are not bad.

The big issue with it from my point of view is that it is another grind. A relatively gentle one, it is true....but yet another grind.

Grinds are not bad things in themselves, but this follows on from the Anniversary grind (where you dare not miss a single day if you want the good rewards), and the Sharks v Eagles grind.

I feel burnt out TBH. I look at the feedback coming back from the upcoming RN destroyer line and I have to ask myself "Is it worth it?"

And I tend to think "NO!", prompted a little bit by point #2 ........

2) Congratulations Wargaming, I didn't think it was possible, but you've :etc_swear:ed-up the Port of London even more.

Fog is barely an improvement on the snow that it had previously. The downbeat, grubby, depressing, satanic wharves and wharehouses remain, but the little bit of colour from the pathetic little funfair seems to have disappeared.

Of course it may be there somewhere, but by this time I was ordering stuff off the internet,( i.e. wax to make models of humans and some large and painful looking pins.) and trying to work out how I can get personal items from WG staff such as hair and/or nail clippings to "personalise" the models.:Smile_smile:

OFF TOPIC: The other contents in 0.7.9 looks pretty good overall, which will follow on from a very nice 0.7.8 Patch.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
516 posts
12,975 battles
8 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

2) Congratulations Wargaming, I didn't think it was possible, but you've :etc_swear:ed-up the Port of London even more.

Fog is barely an improvement on the snow that it had previously. The downbeat, grubby, depressing, satanic wharves and warehouses remain...

True, since still a decade (from the service dates of the two aircraft) until the Luftwaffe start working to remove those and really :etc_swear: up the Port of London. Though financially speaking moving things downriver to Tilbury, which helped to make Tower Bridge being able to be opened to let larger ships through a bit wasted, was probably a more thorough :etc_swear:ing for the docks and their workers. I can agree the fog is only barely an improvement though, very inaccurate as since this is decades before the Clean Air Act it should be much thicker and yellower and be Smog leaving a  thick layer of grime on everything and choking anyone who suffer from respiratory problems. The water is also too blue and clean looking, even if no longer brown with raw sewage (thanks to Bazalgette) it should still be brown with silt and have a layer of scum and pollution on it to reflect it probably already being "biologically dead" (although it wasn't declared as such until the 1950s).

But seriously, what do you want? Clean Air Act and people not burning coal in their homes got rid of the smog, Docklands regeneration got rid of the warehouses and getting a London Assembly added that fencing mask for them to meet in, and the Thames being declared biologically dead was enough of a kick in the balls for it to have been cleaned up over the last fifty years so there's fish and seals in it (with the drawback that the Chinese Mitten Crabs can survive in it and undermine the banks). That all happened long after the 1920s-1930s though and Googling for images of London Docklands at the time shows that if anything this should look more crowded and industrial.

Maybe they should have just modelled Scapa Flow or Portsmouth or reworked the April Fool of Sealand, since that fort originally was protecting Harwich and that port played an important role in both World Wars, since what looks fairly accurate to me from downriver gets such disapproval from an actual Londoner.

• Cool 1

Players
3,288 posts
15,196 battles
3 hours ago, Johmie said:

*Snipped to save space*

Your post (#3) is brilliant!

You sound like an well-educated and shrewd person. :Smile_honoring:

Players
3,998 posts
7,552 battles

I have to say that I find this somewhat confusing, what is it exactly? Some kind of chain of missions/tasks separate from the normal missions, granting some small rewards and the ability to join the hall of fame by being in the top whatever %age of some uncertain metric.

• Cool 1

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
516 posts
12,975 battles
5 hours ago, Capra76 said:

I have to say that I find this somewhat confusing, what is it exactly? Some kind of chain of missions/tasks separate from the normal missions, granting some small rewards and the ability to join the hall of fame by being in the top whatever %age of some uncertain metric.

That sounds about right. It seems like it's an attempt to combine the campaign and Go Navy ideas. I expect MrConway, or someone, will correct me but I think it works like this.

• Play the game and fulfil the "tasks" of the first "directive" of the active "stage".
  • When enough tasks are completed the next directive unlocks and you get a container and a guinea towards getting Cossack (note 1).
  • Continue to play the game and complete tasks, with it being possible to complete any incomplete task of a directive you have unlocked (note 2).
  • Finish the final directive and that allows you to access the Hall of Fame.
  • Continue to play the game and score points in a similar manner to in Go Navy, and thereby earn extra rewards depending on how your total compares with other people. This is fairly easy to see as there is a bar across the top of the leaderboard with point totals and how much needs to be scored to enter the next range band (note 3).

Note 1: I noticed a message saying "the next directive will unlock in 30 minutes". So there could be a timelock as well on these, like with the campaigns where each mission unlocked a week later than the previous one.

Note 2: Looking at my progress on the PTS I can still do the incomplete task from directive 2 although I had done enough tasks of that to unlock directive 3, but for directive 3 you need to do all the tasks to unlock 4 and for 4 you need to do all the tasks to unlock the Hall of Fame. So practically speaking it looks like you can complete the incomplete tasks from 1 or 2 while working on 3 or 4 (since you'd have had to complete 3 to be working on 4).

Note 3: Logging into the PTS on Friday I noticed the progress from Thursday had gone and at the top of the leaderboard it says 31st August to 1st September. So on the PTS it seems the directives and Hall of Fame reset daily.

Guess (emphasis guess) on timing for the timelock and resets would be daily and weekly; Seems too much in the way of tasks for people to get through on the live server and have time to score any meaningful points before a daily reset, and a half hour delay to directives would be meaningless. But getting through one directive a day and then having three days to score points before a weekly reset might work, would stop people who play a lot from getting through all the directives and getting a start on the points too quickly while still giving enough time for a lot of points to be scored.

• Bad 1

[HNSA]
Players
39 posts
10,449 battles

In mission No14209 "Spotter's my job" I played three times and no spotting me happened, what I do wrong?
Without completing this mission I can not go further :cap_horn:

Players
2,109 posts
15,278 battles

This has been made needlessly confusing.

At first I got the impression the player needed to select these "directives" manually, like Campaign tasks. In fact, it would seem you can just play and you receive the rewards when/if you fulfill the requirements - like a challenge or combat mission. So why not just roll all of this into the familiar system of challenges and combat missions? Nobody Far fewer players will be confused by that.#

(Incidentally, maybe it's me but I have never understood the difference between a Challenge and a Combat Mission, so why do we need two separate names for these things in the first place if they're the same? More needless confusion.) (But I digress from the RN Arc.)

So then there's this countdown timer to the directives becoming "available". But it would seem the rewards are being granted retroactively as well. So I don't get get why they are on a timer in the first place.

Needless confusion all over.

Edit:

Meanwhile, they have issued a news bulletin explaining the rules, which it turns out are pretty clear and easy to understand.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/royal-navy/

So the confusion was purely a test server issue, because (of course) they needed to speed things up on the test server in order to allow for people testing the whole thing in the limited time available. (Which I didn't understand at the time.) Similar to the new Clan Base, where on the PT server, you get tens of thousands of units of oil after each battle that you won't get on the live server, just to speed things along.

Maybe make that kind of info available to players on the PT server as well, next time. If it was, I sadly failed to find it.

• Cool 2

Players
3,288 posts
15,196 battles
7 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

As well they should.

Now, I think you are an interesting poster, and I detect someone that I could possibly learn from.

Your comment intrigues me but I don't want to hijack the thread more than I have done already.  (mea culpa)

May I PM you, please? :Smile_smile:

[TACHA]
Players
1,300 posts
13,164 battles

I rather enjoyed it - will have to go and look at the port again though I still don't really know why we have London as a port - Scapa, Portsmouth or even Rosyth would be better. I suppose it was related to the Belfast but I tend to use Dunkirk anyway!

The UK camo is a bit silly though - surely this should come with a penalty as it can be seem miles away! :Smile_teethhappy:

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
516 posts
12,975 battles

One comment I'll make is that although I don't appreciate the Union Jack camouflage (despite or because of the fact it seemed to give The Mighty Jingles a "happy moment") I do appreciate the near quote in the description of Admiral AB Cunningham's famous statement during the evacuation of Crete following the German airborne invasion.

9 hours ago, uncleSpyros said:

In mission No14209 "Spotter's my job" I played three times and no spotting me happened, what I do wrong?
Without completing this mission I can not go further :cap_horn:

Directives and tasks have reset, so you're not stuck at this point anymore. From you saying "no spotting me happened" it sounds like you might have been confused though, it was you having to spot them (as indicated by the ribbon) rather than them spotting you. If that was not the problem then all I can suggest is that you watch the "How it Works" video they've just released (https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/videos/how-it-works-7/) as by coincidence that is on the spotting mechanics.

2 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

(Incidentally, maybe it's me but I have never understood the difference between a Challenge and a Combat Mission, so why do we need two separate names for these things in the first place if they're the same? More needless confusion.) (But I digress from the RN Arc.)

Challenges have only one stage to them and can have the option to be repeated (once a day, so many times a day, so many times in total)  rather than being done only once. Missions have multiple stages to them and can only be done once. I do agree though that they could be combined into one thing with the option for multiple stages and repeatable as well (no difference between a one stage mission and a challenge that can only be done once).

Beta Tester
22 posts
9,155 battles

I wished they'd not done the London port and did Scapa Floe or Rosyth where the home fleet was based. Rosyth has a better bridge too :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Players
162 posts
11,905 battles

why have the port of london anyway? it was all ways a merchant port not a naval one, for a naval port look at portsmouth, devonport, rosyth and scapa flow, and what happened to the ships that were due today btw 

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
364 posts
7,233 battles

It isnt obvious what you are supposed to do in terms of what qualifying ships needed and if the objectives are restricted to set missions or can be completed *free* during normal gameplay within any game... needs making clearer.

[ANV]
Players
364 posts
7,233 battles

Having played more of this I have to say that this is least immersive, completely uninteresting "mission arc" I've ever seen on WoWs.

There is zero sense of engagement with zero interactivity... you just play games as normal and "magically" you will complete things.

It's utterly boring, lacks any engagement and feels like it's been slapped together in 5 minutes with the attitude of "whatever, that will do".

Seriously sucks Donkey Balls I'm afraid WG.

Even the very worst arc has the engagement of being able to select a mission and know what you are aiming to achieve... this, this is bland beyond belief.

• Cool 1

[AXIOM]
[AXIOM]
Players
9 posts
9,467 battles

Don't see the point of the whole design. Why not put these missions in the campaign area like the other 4 we already have? Or make it at least similar to what we had in the "go navy" event? Because, can't tell what is what from looking at it at first glance. Everything looks new and unfamiliar.

Had to spend 10 minutes just to see what is what and how to proceed. The info about how "to access the hall of fame" - should be visible right away and not by hovering over "some part of the screen" after completing a directive. Was wondering why I don't see my score, then figured out that I need to complete ALL missions from the directive to get on the board... (missed one mission after the first battle). So I basically completed the directive 1, but didn't do all the missions from it. Could go forward and do missions from the next directive 2, completed ALL missions from it, but still not on the board  (since I'm missing the "spot 3 enemies" from stage 1). It would be more logical that the unlock of directive 2, requires completion of all missions from directive 1. Since now,  in my example, I can do directive 3 missions - but still, no score on the board...

Rename or use the same name for both "task" which is shown on the left side when clicking on the crescent and "directive" which is on front page. These two are the same but you are using 2 different titles.

The star system from the campaign mode is more intuitive then this whole design, also more immersive and gives a sense of accomplishment. 

Some of the missions are really a joke. Like for example do 5000 damage to enemy ships. Is this intended for play in Tier 1 ships?

Same goes for:

- hit ships 20x with main battery (that's something like 3 salvos right?)

- destroy 1 ship? mission is at directive 3. Put this on directive 1 or increase the mission to "destroy 2 ships".

- earn 500 base exp at stage 4 (so you basically don't need to do anything to accomplish it, just don't die right away, don't be afk and let your team win). 

What is the point of buying a Royal Navy Container from the Arsenal shop? For 12 "sovereigns" all you get inside is:

- 5 signals

- 1 camo

- 8 "sovereigns" 

Basically you trade 4 "sovereigns" for 5 random signals and a camo. The whole process is pointless. If the Royal Navy Container does not hold any collection item - then there is absolutely no use for the containers in the arsenal shop.  

These are my first impressions. Will add more input later. 

Players
478 posts

@MrConway

Why can't you get a 2nd Bert Dunkirk if you've already bought one earlier (you can get multiple Dasha captains from the same nation)? Because that's a bit like: Thanks for being dumb giving us your money, you could have gotten it for free. That strongly discourages from spending money in the future.

Players
1 post
4,311 battles

After finishing nearly all 4 directives yesterday, today the royal navy directives were reset to zero. So I had to restart all fights again to enter the hall of fame.

Bug?

Players
82 posts
2,147 battles
On 9/1/2018 at 7:16 PM, triumphgt6 said:

The UK camo is a bit silly

Not a bit  - a hell of a lot silly!   As 'Camouflages' go these U.Jax they're brutal  Also how can they be even called Camouflage when they stand out so - that's oxymoronic.

• Funny 1

Players
115 posts
25,468 battles

In my opinion, the points that are obtained in the co-op battles should be increased, since from what I know in the co-op mode no medals are obtained (neither heroic nor honorary), so the points marked in the rules can not be never receive.

rul.jpg

[ANV]
Players
364 posts
7,233 battles

So you finish the Brit arc and.... you get a "coming soon" display with no way to check where you stand in the hall of fame... just that lonely sad, no-info piece of crap message.

Utterly pathetic "Arc", really, really, really low-effort, poor-design, zero-engagement PoC.

I really hope you change this before putting it out live as it is ruddy awful.

Screen Shot 09-10-18 at 03.12 PM.png