MrConway

Arms Race Mode

34 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,723 posts
2,763 battles

Please leave any feedback on the new "Arms Race" mode here.

[ZON]
Players
23 posts
10,594 battles

Absolutely love it! 

My motivation was so high 2 play this over and over. Unfortinately my music was so loud at the last game that i didn't saw the Yugumo torps coming in my Gearing...:cap_fainting:

This has 100% to come on Live Server. Permanently.

Cheers!

[Wine & Chocolates (andhim rmx)]

• Bad 1

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts

way too arcade. if this becomes part of the mode rotation in random battles, i will stop playing randoms altogether. well, at least the tiers arms race is restricted to.

• Cool 1

[WOWS]
Players
252 posts
13,635 battles

I wish the old standard back instead of this, and also again the very high tiers are being pushed... Boring using, attacking and seeing the same ships again and again this much!

• Cool 1

Players
170 posts
7,460 battles

indeed it feels... too unrealistic. Imo does not fit in the game atmosphere.

But i have to admit though, you chose great spot for it (tier IX and X games) where the game is quite harder and boring - which once more proves that you are listening to the society :Smile_great:

Also i think that buffs for capturing the zones are too strong, they can completely change way of play and flip upsidedown ships speciality/characteristic.

This game mode greatly supports fast ships - did you think about how bad it is for slow Battleships ?

Also what i would like to say that for me the greatest games i had in WoWs were those which were well balanced - where neither one nor the other team could gain an irretrievable advantage. With this mode unbalance is increasing - causing the game to end prematurely for one on the other team (depends who has more buffs)

So overall it has some flaws (too arcadishh..) for now but i would be happy to see it once in a while and break out myself of tier X game monotony

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,088 posts
2,960 battles

Why not add ranked maps into random i mean this mode seems ok but i feel it will end up like all tier 10 games the DDs dominate unless the Radar spam is out so kinda forces players to go for certain ships, Like radar cruisers and gunboat DDs.

Players
31 posts
3,620 battles

If it stays permanently, please let us either opt out of it in randoms (like assault mode in WOT) or make it separate (just like on PTS).

I'm enjoying it very much as it is, but the balancing is not what I'd call amazing, since the buffs heavily benefit gunboat DDs and light cruisers, making this a Harugumo/Khaba/Gearing/Wooster-only mode... (Mino if you're brave enough:cap_cool:)

That's (I guess) due to the nature of the upgrades and the overall very DD-heavy MM, serving this kind of ship very well - More concealment to get on par with Torpboats, Heal for better staying power and I guess the advantages of more dakka-dakka are quite obvious.

Also one annoying thing are the steamrolls occuring with rather meh teams, where it kinda snowballs due to friendlies getting killed/not getting their boosts -> enemies get more kills/boosts -> even more friendlies die/ don't get any boosts (happens with both teams :P)

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
516 posts
12,975 battles

Was fun the times I played it, though one complaint people often make is how a game can snowball towards a crushing defeat for one side as an early advantage is built on. Having a game mode with buffs seems to increase the likelihood of the snowball becoming an avalanche.

On the other hand people do also complain about games where it is apparent which side is going to win from an early stage, and about having to grind out the victory as the points tick up and enemy ships hide. So having a single capture point appear and give that many points a second does give a definite and sudden end to a game like that.

[UNICS]
Players
3,675 posts
14,441 battles

Better XP reward for picking up the upgrades. It should be rewarded more since it's risky and often brings bonus to the team.

It's pretty fun so far trying to catch them since it brings more immediate action. Although, the gameplay resembles low tiers more, which is fun to some degree, maybe more for those who think high tiers are too campy. The novelty might wear off though, but as a separate gamemode, it might be okay. I doubt it solves any issues in current high tiers meta, or complaints about it.

One issue is that, from my very limited experience, it seems to make the games even more lopsided than Random games. One team gets the advantage and get buffed even more. Shorter games might be good, but it may be an issue given the complaints about current lopsided games in Randoms.

[VOC]
Players
9 posts
7,956 battles

Don't know if it's only on the testserver....but pink marked players looks like has a problem in the loading screen:

Capture.JPG

[OCTO]
Players
1,005 posts
19,363 battles

I don't like it.

It is a total arcade, it has not even a remote resemblance to a naval game or objectives. Maybe use it as a once off event, like halloween for example. Otherwise, absolute rubbish, IMHO. 

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
3,515 battles

After testing the game mode for the past two days, I feel competent to leave some subjective feedback:

First and first, the amount of work the dev team has put into this is obvious. I've lost count of the number of different gamemodes that you announced to have gone into internal testing for the past few months, each of them adding new mechanics that must've taken loads of conceptualising and coding just by themselves. The results of such hard labour are, in my opinion at least, appropiate. Strictly conceptually speaking, Arms Race is nothing short of phenomenal. It rewards agressive play from every ship, it has the potential to fix t8 matchmaking and it's generally a vrey fun and refreshing approach to high tier gameplay. It can easily become the best thing to happen to Warships in a long time. I want to love it to bits. But thank the heavens it's in testing, because I'm struggling to. There's nothing majorly wrong with it, but there's plenty of adjustments and QoL changes that could make it better. For instance, the buff spawns could use some tuning. While they're technically symmetrical, inpracticality they don't feel like that. They also spawn rdiculously often, meaning that it's often just a game of running around grabbing buffs the enemy couldn't possibly contest instead of actually fighting over the buffs. DDs are naturally stronger in this gamemode, which shouldn't be an issue as they aren't exactly the most broken of classes in the current meta. However, where DDs are numerous, radar ships flourish. This creates this weird situation where, depending on the DD/radar ratio, the DDs will either be busted or just plain masochistic. This also brings me to my last and biggest issue, though this is arguably an already existing problem that just gets naturally amplified in this gamemode: Worcester and Harugumo. Both these ships synergise well with all the buffs, make good use of island rich maps and are alrguably very powerful as they are already, meaning they're simply better than every other ship. Of course, being PTS, everybody is playing them as well, which doesn't help. I suppose this will not be such a huge problem on the live servers and is arguably an unrelated issue from Arms Race entirely, but it'd still be great if it was adressed.

Finally, I'll leave a list of proposed tweaks that could potentially improve Arms Race, though even if it hit the live servers in it's current state, it would still definetly remain a nice addition.

-reduce/tweak the ammount of spawn locations for buffs;

-reduce the spawn rate of buffs;

-add more varied maps to the roster;

-reduce player count from 24 to 20, this might also help with the matchmaking in the long term;

-[QoL] when in a buff capture zone, have a timer similar to the existing cap timer showing you the time until the zone will activate;

-[QoL] add zone activation timers to replays;

-[QoL] have the central cap area appear on the map 1 minute earlier with a timer until activation;

• Cool 2

[SLAPP]
[SLAPP]
Players
4 posts
9,421 battles

Played about three hours of the mode so far, over several ship types.

Overall I enjoyed the distinctly different gameplay vs the existing game modes. I have plenty of concerns though;

• Concealment values get out of hand with the current buff levels
  • Destroyers have obvious advantages in obtaining the buffs during the early game, incentiveising their play
  • Buff spawns seemed to often favour one team over the other leading to early game power disparities
  • Possibility of a draw, something I really dislike in all game modes

Some thoughts;

• Increase the variety of buff effects, cooldown duration, ship speed, firing range etc. This would give the basic gameplay more longevity and increase the dynamism
  • Better display the buffs you have in the user interface, buff's you receive from team mate captures require you to mouse over for information right now
  • Make the cap spawn early to promote central fights

• Cool 1

[_KTM_]
Beta Tester
49 posts
15,148 battles

Although I appreciate the work put in by the dev team, I think this is wrong for one big reason: it's altering the ships characteristics. Even if this is already done with the captain skills and upgrades, doing this during the game seems like changing the rules from the go. Altering the 3 fundamental characteristics (visibility, firepower & health) by running from one point to another will make the faster more agile ships more powerful, braking the balance of the ships. Ships like Hindenburg will be in disadvantage over Des Moines for example, because of its gameplay will not stack bonuses in the same way DM or Mino does, making some shis OP in Arms Race Mode.

Imo a better approach would have been by giving buffs to speed, fire fighting time or chance of fire.

• Cool 1

[SPWAR]
Players
31 posts
15,660 battles

Feels much like arcade game, which isn't bad for me. What I like is that finally there is some thought in team decision - they want the buff. There is this urge to get into the battle zone, instead of border hugging. What I don't like is that there is not much explanation on what the bonuses do in the first place, and that the timer indicated when the area will be ready for pick up. My first thought was that I only have 2 minutes to get it untill it's gone. And many other people did so, as they were shouting at people, why aren't they taking the buff. Unsymmetry of the buffs is also an issue - they should either all spawn in the middle, or double - one for each team. Right now it could happen that you get all the buffs very close to you or that all you can do is the other players getting the buff. And the last thing - the "final cap" was usually a formal thing, rather than a chance of salvation. The game was already either won or lost at the time when the final cap spawned. But the idea is nice. There could be hope :)

[TTTPL]
Players
16 posts
14,812 battles

ARCADE but fun, thou i think many players dont have any ide how it works or i was MM with such players :/ it should be more visible when the "buff" is ready to collect

i hope it wont be part of randoms battles but only as another battle type

Players
7 posts
4,162 battles

Very nice game mode that force to play the differents objectives to obtain buffs to become very powerfull.

On the other hand, DD become very powerfull as they are advantaged by an easier way to cap the differents buff zones.

If they survive during all the game, at the end they are very powerfull because of all buffs they obtain.

The mode is very nice and i really enjoy playing on it during the last public test. it will change the way to play the game.

I'm really hype by this mode, i'm impatient that it comes on stable servers.

Have a nice day.

Players
3,288 posts
15,196 battles

Even though I don't personally go for this sort of "very arcade-y" gameplay, I think that Wargaming have done a great job with this. :Smile_honoring:

Sure, it needs tweaking a bit, but that's expected.

This mode is providing what a lot of players want for their high tier ships as a change of pace.

The crucial thing from my point of view is that you have to opt-in to play it. Nobody will be forced to play it.

ONE IMPORTANT CAVEAT

When setting up future events and missions please do not create anything that forces players to play this mode.

Apart from that ... Well Done! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
362 posts
7,233 battles

Very enjoyable game mode, radically different, purists will hate it. 

My only advice would be to slap a large text warning and siren sound the moment a team starts to capture the main Cap point..... as you have very little time to react to it being captured otherwise.... and so many people don't watch the mini-map that you are going to have entire tribes of mashed potato wondering why the game ended. 

Oh PS: PLEASE give it a rest with Tier X on everything fcol.