Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Amaterasu_Regale

Anyone else get burnt out on this game?

74 comments in this topic

Players
194 posts
2,239 battles

This game is starting to feel like an abusive relationship to me. I desperately want to find the love I once had for the game but I just feel... So bored. Any advice? Play some lower tier? 

• Cool 15

[NED]
Players
4,377 posts
12,061 battles

Take a break. I've played games most of my life. The burn out feeling will always come. Stop for a while. Two things will happen: either you start liking it again or you'll move on to something else. Using your comparison with abusive relationships: there are plenty of fish in the ocean or the relationship with re flourish.

• Cool 4

Players
32 posts
3,686 battles

If you feel burnt-out from playing this game, better take a brake, find another game or a hobby. Nothing good will come if you are not enjoying yourself while playing.

• Cool 2

[NED]
Players
1,833 posts
7,016 battles

Just have a second game to play do you wont feel the need to play this game just to have something to play.

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
1 hour ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

This game is starting to feel like an abusive relationship to me. I desperately want to find the love I once had for the game but I just feel... So bored. Any advice? Play some lower tier? 

Same happened in World of Warcraft when they introducead the "Daily Grind".

Advice? Not really. "Deal with it" or "upgrade to a better game".

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
19,985 posts
12,420 battles

Take a break.

It is a game. Do play when you have no fun.

• Cool 1

Players
547 posts
2,019 battles

Taking a break for a week or something is definitely a good idea. I've also found that it helps (and with a lot of other things in life besides WOWS) if you to have a few days where you spend more of your free time away from a screen altogether. Reading a good book, getting out for a walk in the countryside, or getting down the gym have all worked for me.

Another thing that I've found helpful is trying to make sure I close the game while I'm still enjoying it. I'll very rarely play more than 10 games a day now, and even then about 6 is usually my maximum. But if battle number 5 is a good result and I'm going to have to go offline soon, I'll often close the game then and end on a high. Quit after 3-4 losses or bad games in a row and do something else.

Your mileage may of course vary, but the fundamental point is that by not playing until you're fed up in each session, you will probably help yourself have a more enjoyable experience. You'll also play better as your mind will be fresher, and you won't be playing when you're tilted. (As an aside, the catalyst for me rethinking how I played WOWS was 17 games played almost directly after one another when I first got the Nicholas. I lost 14 and just kept playing worse and worse hoping for a good game). You'll therefore probably win more, which is more fun. It might slow down your grinds, but it's worth it to avoid feeling burnt out.

And yeah, play ships that you have fun with, not just the ones you're grinding. Just my two cents, hope there's something useful :Smile_coin: Good luck out there, captain :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
2,269 posts
336 battles

rest...come back after 2 months

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles

You play almost exclusively solo. I try to avoid playing solo most of the time. Playing in a division while talking to companioned players is just SO much better!

You should at least give it a try. But as many others already said, don't force yourself into playing the game.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,263 posts
13,363 battles

Maybe not burnt out, but game lost its initial charm and with direction it is going, combined with not resolved issues bugging this game for months - I simply lost interest. Only things that keep me here are company of fellow clanmates, CB and longest recruitment thread... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 5

[CU]
Players
327 posts
3,564 battles

I have taken a break from this game quite often as I play mainly solo and it can become a frustrating experience especially in the direction it's currently going. I think the longest break was 6 months, but worth it, came back refreshed and quickly got back into sinking ships. I'm due one again soon as I keep staring at ships but not actually playing. 

Take the Fletcher for example. Used to be my go to ship when I just wanted a bit of fun, but due to the amount of radars, it's a ship I only take out if I'm in the competitive frame of mind, gone are the days of going out for a blast, as it's a more intense experience trying to pull off a decent game and I miss just playing for fun.

I am trying to mix it up and have rebought the Fiji which has given me some enjoyable, non-brain taxing fun. So we will see.

Players
7,656 posts
9,378 battles

Take a break, play other games. Go navy event and now "anniversary", suggesting daily login and play are especially tiresome.

• Cool 2

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
737 posts
11,967 battles

I did all the July daily mission completions (not always easy on those days where winning is difficult), then the GoNavy; all whilst clan battles was going on. Oh, and that was after grinding the Indianapolis marathon. Yup, I started feeling burnout before the end of the GoNavy competition and Clan Battle season. I'm currently playing games a lot less, playing a handful of WoWS battles and the odd WoT battle. The enthusiasm is slowly returning from the point of staring at ships in port wondering if I actually wanted to hit the battle button. There is always going to be something going on, best thing is not to feel compelled to get everything; that's going to be a full time job.

• Cool 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Why do you keep seeking validation amongst strangers?

Everything has a burn out potential, this is just a game, move on...

[TH2OW]
[TH2OW]
Beta Tester
74 posts
4,847 battles

Game is fine, its the teams full of 43% win rate players are the problem.

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
15,313 battles

Don't know what you've been doing but this past week of free captain skill redistribution was the most fun and engaging in a very long time to me. I had taken the time to grind out a few fully or nearly fully upgraded captains beforehand so there would be really something to play with. And also I have a fairly wide selection of premiums and kept every little promo ship, so it was a week of permanent switching and trying crazy builds and grinding more skill points in the process, and some surprising sealclubber clubbing. The only reason I'm a bit glad it's now over is it led to a really bad aversion against those redistribution sound effects.

[VAR]
Players
602 posts
7,695 battles
4 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

… and some surprising sealclubber clubbing

Careful dude, that crap can be addictive ...

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts

t10 is boring af and having it shoved down your throat for all competitive modes doesn't help... wg are shooting themselves in the foot big time, burn out is more or less inevitable.

• Cool 1

Players
1,558 posts
5,924 battles

You could always try Co-Op for a week, just to get your WoWS fix but without the stress, I mean you're 96%+ guaranteed a win so you can ignore "winning" and just concentrate on having fun with the aggressive, pushing bots (no 20k m sniping, no toxicity etc).

Players
642 posts

I'm getting tired of playing the same maps over and over and over again.

I've also been getting increasingly tired of being able to predict the outcome of the battle based on the number and type of premium ships on each team.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,251 posts
31,449 battles

18000 games and still not burned out. I think that my collector approach have helped. That means variation. I have also tried to find new goals, like getting 10 p captains on low tier ships.

It also helps to have an interest in warships that I have.

Nevertheless I understand that I will reach a point when the same feeling comes to me. Do not be afraid to have other games also, do other activities. The situation for every player is different.

Do not be stat obsessed  - play to have fun, and use stats, forum and guides to become better, becuse winning and becoming better is fun. But do not play ships that you perform good in just to have better stats - play them because you like it - then you perform likely better too.

Divisions and the social aspect of it can surely help even though I have left that out so far, have no voicecom and likes the variation too much. May be different later.

Accept that there is a grinding moment on captains not only in ships, several ships is a huge difference to play with good captains.

[7DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,557 battles

I suggest a break!

For myself i had also such a phase and waited to long for taking a break so my break then was about 1,5 years.......

The game should bring you fun, a good clan, with some guys where you can also talk about other stuff, is also helpful.

I hope will will recover you fun soon! :Smile_smile: