Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

Penalty for losing connection.

22 comments in this topic

[-AP-]
Players
1,865 posts
4,627 battles

Serisously? I lost my internet due to my isps stupid dhcp server failaing to sent me a wan ip renewal, While this happened, i had just started a wows match, i get a message that i lost connection to the server, fine.

Now i have con again and im pink because i was afk? Like seriously, i have no control over my isps shortcomings, why am i getting punished for this?

I wouldnt be so mad if it wasnt for the fact that if my connection somehow fails during my three next matches, im pretty sure ill be banned for a week.

This system is stupid. // rant over

Point: Why cant the system distinguish between loss of con, and afking? @MrConway 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,440 posts

Wargaming has no control over your ISP either.

On top of that they can not differentiate between an intentional and unintentional disconnect. Neither could I and neither can you. They still give you 25 % of the match time to reconnect, which in most cases should be sufficient.

Your issue is with your ISP, not with Wargaming. Please adress your criticism to whom it actually belongs.

• Cool 4

[NED]
Players
4,375 posts
12,061 battles

I'd propose to give a warning first so the unintentional disconnects or emergencies won't be punished immediately.

• Cool 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,077 posts
21,909 battles
4 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I'd propose to give a warning first so the unintentional disconnects or emergencies won't be punished immediately.

To turn pink(be punished), you have to violate rules more than once in period of time.

[-AP-]
Players
1,865 posts
4,627 battles
Just now, Profilus said:

To turn pink(be punished), you have to violate rules more than once in period of time.

Nah, ive turned pink before, as im pretty sure every one has done a few times in their careers, by hitting a single torp on an ally and stuff like that, it happens. Pretty sure that one afk match is enought aswell.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,440 posts
15 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Well... as being pink does nothing except changing the color of your name and ship icon in battles it can be considered a warning. The real punishment would be the next step: The limitation to co-op battles.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,678 posts
11,301 battles

Hi all,

1 hour ago, thiextar said:

Serisously? I lost my internet due to my isps stupid dhcp server failaing to sent me a wan ip renewal, While this happened, i had just started a wows match, i get a message that i lost connection to the server, fine.

Now i have con again and im pink because i was afk? Like seriously, i have no control over my isps shortcomings, why am i getting punished for this?

I wouldnt be so mad if it wasnt for the fact that if my connection somehow fails during my three next matches, im pretty sure ill be banned for a week.

Point: Why cant the system distinguish between loss of con, and afking? @MrConway 

During summer I played on my good old laptop and using 4G Internet mobile connection.

I occasionally lost connection and my WoWs froze but when I restarted and reentered the game it always wrote something like this: "Player penalty lifted due to proper conduct" (i.e. although I was in game and I lost connection and WoWs froze I did attempt to go back and thus did all I could)... I never got pink because of that...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
1,865 posts
4,627 battles
5 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

During summer I played on my good old laptop and using 4G Internet mobile connection.

I occasionally lost connection and my WoWs froze but when I restarted and reentered the game it always wrote something like this: "Player penalty lifted due to proper conduct" (i.e. although I was in game and I lost connection and WoWs froze I did attempt to go back and thus did all I could)... I never got pink because of that...

Leo "Apollo11"

My internet was down for the entire match tho, nothing i could do about it

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

Because someone that wants to AFK can just pull their connection and get away with it in the scenario you propose.

Going Pink is the warning, it's not a punishment, it doesn't actually do anything. WG aren't responsible for your ISP and your client was disconnected the whole game therefore you were AFK to the system and more importantly your 11 other teammates.

Your rant is stupid, sorry the system isn't perfect, but in this case it's fine.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
2 hours ago, thiextar said:

1. You have more control over your connection than WG does. The AFK penalty system is there to minimize the number of cases where a player screws their team over by disappearing/being a no-show. If your Internet is bad enough that you end up dropping out of games often enough to get the system to really act - well, that means that you are a problem for the other players. Even if it's not something you directly control.

2. You won't get a week ban for being AFK. First you get pink. Then you extend your pinkness or go straight to orange, depending on circumstances. Only once you're orange does the punishment really begin - but it's not a time-limited ban but rather a requirement to play a number of coop matches for the restriction to go away. Obviously if you keep disappearing in these coops, it won't exactly help you get rid of the penalty...

[-AP-]
Players
1,865 posts
4,627 battles
2 minutes ago, eliastion said:

1. You have more control over your connection than WG does. The AFK penalty system is there to minimize the number of cases where a player screws their team over by disappearing/being a no-show. If your Internet is bad enough that you end up dropping out of games often enough to get the system to really act - well, that means that you are a problem for the other players. Even if it's not something you directly control.

2. You won't get a week ban for being AFK. First you get pink. Then you extend your pinkness or go straight to orange, depending on circumstances. Only once you're orange does the punishment really begin - but it's not a time-limited ban but rather a requirement to play a number of coop matches for the restriction to go away. Obviously if you keep disappearing in these coops, it won't exactly help you get rid of the penalty...

I rarely ever dc, this was just a one time hiccup on my normally very stable 250 mbit fiber connection, but this system can definitely be made better.

There could be a qouta of monthly disconnects like every player gets 1 or 2 disconnects a mounth, that should be more than plenty for random isp trouble, and way to little to abuse to leave matches you dont like. Instantly going pink seems a bit excessive

[HOO]
Players
1,602 posts
3,129 battles
2 hours ago, thiextar said:

If you know your  connection to the internet is not stable it is your responsibility, the game cannot distinguish whether you intentionally left the battle or if it was accidental. However before you go pink or get banned you must have gone AFK for a number of battles, so if you know your connection is unstable it is your responsibility NOT to play until you have a stable connection. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
4 minutes ago, thiextar said:

I rarely ever dc, this was just a one time hiccup on my normally very stable 250 mbit fiber connection, but this system can definitely be made better.

There could be a qouta of monthly disconnects like every player gets 1 or 2 disconnects a mounth, that should be more than plenty for random isp trouble, and way to little to abuse to leave matches you dont like. Instantly going pink seems a bit excessive

The system recorded your hiccup and painted you in a nice pink color that basically means that you're considered at risk. You didn't actually get punished. If your connection is really stable, you'll be back to green in no time. Even if something happens, you'll end up forced to play like 3-4 coop matches unless it happens AGAIN. And if THAT happens then it means that you've had three disconnections within 6-7 matches - and that's most definitely NOT something that happens to people with stable or even kinda-sorta-stable connections.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
2 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

If you know your  connection to the internet is not stable it is your responsibility, the game cannot distinguish whether you intentionally left the battle or if it was accidental. However before you go pink or get banned you must have gone AFK for a number of battles, so if you know your connection is unstable it is your responsibility NOT to play until you have a stable connection. 

Actually, no, just one "strong" AFK (not showing your butt for a single battle) is enough to go pink afaik.

Doesn't change the fact that pink is a warning, not yet an actual punishment.

[HOO]
Players
1,602 posts
3,129 battles
Just now, eliastion said:

Actually, no, just one "strong" AFK (not showing your butt for a single battle) is enough to go pink afaik.

Doesn't change the fact that pink is a warning, not yet an actual punishment.

If your connection just blips out and comes  and you rejoin the battle you don't go pink. Or at least that's the way I thought it happened.

How does the game handle a client crash? I've had two of those since the last patch, restarted and joined the battle and not gone pink.

[FMW]
Players
112 posts

I had d/c problems last week, I contacted support directly, they advised a number of things, one was Downloading and use PingPlotter to monitor network traffic to the WG servers. As It happened there was two European server in the hops at peak times showed packet loss. So now if I timeout from the game I fire up PP. If there are any problems I leave it till they subside. As to some point your are responsible for joining a battle, even if you have a bad connection.

Maybe this article will help:

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wot/article/10252/

ODB

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
7 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

If your connection just blips out and comes  and you rejoin the battle you don't go pink. Or at least that's the way I thought it happened.

How does the game handle a client crash? I've had two of those since the last patch, restarted and joined the battle and not gone pink.

Well, you rejoined the battle both times, right? So you didn't even get a proper AFK, it's not even certain that it was registered against you at all.

Anyway. Sometimes the connection hiccup is more serious and you can't immediately re-join. Not to mention that the game itself some issues - I've actually had times when there was a crash of some sort and after launching the client I got sent to port without a chance to re-join the battle.

I don't know why we can't have a manual "re-join battle" for ships that are out. It would make problems with auto-rejoin, some rage-quitters would get a chance to cool their heads and go back AND it would be possible to die, go to port, sort out some business and then go back to see why the game is taking so long to end...

• Cool 2

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,440 posts
31 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

If you miss more then 25 % of the battle you'll get pink. It doesn't matter if it is a client crash or a disconnect as both can be forced.

if the battle lasts for the whole 20 minutes, you have 5 minutes to get back in. If the battle is over after 5 minutes, you only have 1:15 to make it back.

From: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/anti-abuse-system/

Fleeing the battlefield is defined as being active for less than 75% of the duration of a battle (either by your own choice or in the case of technical failure). Example: a player participates in battle for 7.5 minutes, saves the ship, and leaves the battle before it ends. If the duration of the battle is more than 10 minutes, the player will receive a corresponding warning or even punishment, if there are other violations on the account.

• Cool 1

[WCWVE]
Players
908 posts
14,724 battles
7 hours ago, thiextar said:

It sound like you did not start to move at the beginning of the match, then had ISP problems, because you did not start to move, the system automatically classes you as AFK.  Easy remedy to stop being penalised for AFK even if you have bad internet.  There is generally a small amount of time between the connection time and the start of the battle.  Use the W key to go to either half speed or full speed and as soon as the match starts, turn either to port or starboard, this will then tell the system that you have joined the battle.   If you then lose ISP try and immediately reconnect even if you have been killed this still counts as being present.

Secondly, speak to your ISP provider and tell them that you are dissatisfied with the service they are providing 

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,732 posts
2,780 battles
22 hours ago, thiextar said:

Because we honestly don't care. The system is designed to stop people from being AFK - it doesn't really matter why they are AFK.

The system gives you a warning by making you pink initially anyway - and if you have such severe technical problems that you cannot play for several games, that is your responsibility to fix before queuing up again.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[NED]
Players
1,831 posts
7,009 battles

Can only agree with mrConway here.

If you have a car that breaks down a lot i would fire you when you call the job to say you cant make it in again after several times.

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,430 posts
Vor 16 Minuten, MrConway sagte:

Because we honestly don't care. The system is designed to stop people from being AFK - it doesn't really matter why they are AFK.

good attitude :Smile_honoring: (no irony)

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this