Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ZAMRAM

Why perfect shell hits by the Henri cause no damage

40 comments in this topic

[OP]
Players
41 posts
10,014 battles

Out of 182 perfect shell hits only 81 did any damage.

A WHOPPING 101 shell hits did NO damage at all!

Any tips how I can reduce this vastly "wasted" shell hits?

Your know-how is greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.58681b2d93c5dfa334918dd18decf076.png

• Funny 2

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,654 posts
16,767 battles

Overpens do damage.

Bounces mean the target area was too angled.

Non-penetrations mean the target area is too heavily armored to penetrate at your current distance.

Solution?

Learn when to shoot HE and when to shoot AP.

• Cool 8

[THROW]
[THROW]
Weekend Tester
992 posts
5,600 battles

Has 5k battles and still doesn't understand why armor is on ships.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,849 posts
3,634 battles
7 minutes ago, tenacious_torps said:

Might want to consider IFHE

For a Henri? Shirley you jest.

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts

given the recent buffs to moskva armour and iirc izumo too, it's become somewhat valid

not my preferred build, but it's not nonsensical, if you think shatters are an issue. gets you also over the treshold for GK deck, for example.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
48 minutes ago, ZAMRAM said:

Sorry, you're mistaken, the 182 hits were not all "perfect", just "on-target" or not misses. Only 81 were arguably properly aimed and only 2 were "perfect" scoring full damage and citadels. The 101 other hits only had 73 with no damage and some of those shatters quite likely set fires.

I wouldn't be too upset by the hits there personally.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
6,593 posts
7,498 battles
1 minute ago, tenacious_torps said:

given the recent buffs to moskva armour and iirc izumo too, it's become somewhat valid

Kinda weird for couple of ships only (+ khaba + some parts on German BBs and yamato? afaik)

Also he clearly shot AP aswell,  couldnt explain the Bounces and citadels otherwise.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,849 posts
3,634 battles
3 minutes ago, tenacious_torps said:

not my preferred build, but it's not nonsensical, if you think shatters are an issue. gets you also over the treshold for GK deck, for example.

I'd aim better personally. Aim for a softer spot to be more precise.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
1 hour ago, ZAMRAM said:

Considering that 21 of them bounced and 52 shattered on armor too thick to penetrate AND 28 failed to detonate because the armor sections hit were too thin - well, calling them "perfect shell hits" might be a big overstatements. They were DIRECT shell hits but they, respectively

- struck at an angle where they bounced off the armor (you know, that thing designed to stop shells)

- struck at better angle but at a heavily armored section (again, remember what armors are for)

- went clean through steel too thin to arm the fuse

If you really want good (penetrations) or perfect (citadels) hits, you need to hit targets in right places and at right angles (right angle being more often than not the right one :Smile-_tongue: ).

PS: Overpenetrations do deal damage. In fact, their damage - while much lower than that of normal penetrations - is, technically speaking, the most consistent source of damage in the game, because it ignores section saturation and - unlike fire and flooding - can't be stopped by DCP :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
5,939 posts
7,236 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

PS: Overpenetrations do deal damage. In fact, their damage - while much lower than that of normal penetrations - is, technically speaking, the most consistent source of damage in the game, because it ignores section saturation and - unlike fire and flooding - can't be stopped by DCP :Smile-_tongue:

Technically, same could be said about ramming damage. And you don't even need to hit a lightly armoured part of a crap to get that.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
32 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Technically, same could be said about ramming damage. And you don't even need to hit a lightly armoured part of a crap to get that.

True.

Although, on another note, the ramming is less easy-simple-convenient than you might think - I actually found out while testing in coop that it's actually possible to get a "ramming" so soft that there's little damage and even flooding doesn't seem to occur. It's interesting to know that the ramming system is much more complicated than the typical "boom, you (both) die" we are used to seeing. It USUALLY works like this but a soft tap reveals a whole different layer of ramming mechanics that are there, just don't see much use normally due to the extent to which they are nerfed for friendly ramming coupled with explosive effectiveness that most enemy rams exhibit.

[OP]
Players
41 posts
10,014 battles

Thanks aaaaalll for your great comments and your suggestions!

I will take these tips into account and 

- learn better angles

- learn softer spots of ships

- use AP / HE at the right moments at the right targets on the right places

- keep an eye on the hits see what shattered what overpenetrated and what bounced to get instant feedback from no on

- try out IFHE on the Henri and see what that does to battleships and cruisers

PS any of you also enjoying the Henri in Ranked battles??

Its not very popular... let me rephrase, at Rank10 ive not seen any other Henri except me and I started at Rank13 orso (was Rank1 previous season).

This is my first season in Ranked playing the Henri and so far I cant complain...

When it gets more tough probably I have to switch to something with radar tough...

Players
9 posts
890 battles

Maybe a little off-topic but I had exactly the same issue in a recent ranked battle in my Yamato against a Moskva.   He was 10km from me and bough on/angling/reversing.  I fired over 30 shells at him to cause only 1,480 dmg.  This means all but one of my shells either bounced or broke-up with no damage.   I may not be the most accurate shooter in the world but really?  Any ideas?  I thought Yamato can overpen anything, even Mexicans.

[XTREM]
Players
130 posts
7,852 battles
5 minutes ago, UpTheDonald said:

Maybe a little off-topic but I had exactly the same issue in a recent ranked battle in my Yamato against a Moskva.   He was 10km from me and bough on/angling/reversing.  I fired over 30 shells at him to cause only 1,480 dmg.  This means all but one of my shells either bounced or broke-up with no damage.   I may not be the most accurate shooter in the world but really?  Any ideas?  I thought Yamato can overpen anything, even Mexicans.

Who is this clown?  Imposter.  Nice post though.  

Players
751 posts
14,396 battles

I've got no issues with Henry, Since I've unlocked it and bought, it's my best performing ship. It's a ship that heavily rewards actively switching between HE and AP shells.

IFHE is situational and not worth spending 4 cpt points on it.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,433 posts
9,234 battles
5 minutes ago, quickr said:

I've got no issues with Henry, Since I've unlocked it and bought, it's my best performing ship. It's a ship that heavily rewards actively switching between HE and AP shells.

IFHE is situational and not worth spending 4 cpt points on it.

I am about to unlock it. Many reliable ppl said IFHE is recommended. I will listen to them and take it.

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
895 posts
8,507 battles
16 minutes ago, UpTheDonald said:

mosakva has 50 mm armour almost everywhere now, so you can't overmatch it

[JRM]
Players
3,097 posts
18,357 battles

I freexp it from stluis the other day and must say i regret not getting it before, best fun I had with my pants on for a long while, that speed boost and main battery reload combo is just hilarious, you can keep up with your dds even going over the flank, keeping at range can kite bb shells quite well due to the speed, but most hilarios is the moment the yoloing dd gunboat coming to harras your dd capping reallises there is a heavy cruiser there with him and that "oh fu**" moment when you start pumping 9x240mm he shells every 5 or so seconds downrange :Smile_playing:

IFHE wise im not so sure might be sort of circumstantial for henry, he penning 50mm sounds nice but moskva, stalin and such i feel you should try to flank and use AP on anyways and spening 4 points on it (and losing some fire chance as well) IDK i am at 15 pt with Honore so still have 4 left (when i finish him) doesnt seem to catch 2 many fires (due to not getting hit so much couse of speed) so its possible to take it as the second 4 pt but i ll decide when i have the points I guess 

Players
751 posts
14,396 battles
2 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

I am about to unlock it. Many reliable ppl said IFHE is recommended. I will listen to them and take it.

I'm just saying, IFHE is highly situational and when It comes to cpt perks I go with ones that I'll use 99% of the games rather than ones I'll use 25% of the games. 

Free cpt respec is available till 31.8., so you can try both setups and decide on your own. 

[SCRUB]
Players
3,433 posts
9,234 battles
2 minutes ago, quickr said:

I'm just saying, IFHE is highly situational and when It comes to cpt perks I go with ones that I'll use 99% of the games rather than ones I'll use 25% of the games. 

Free cpt respec is available till 31.8., so you can try both setups and decide on your own. 

Really???? They gave us free respec? Boss... I need a day off!!!!!!

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,132 battles
34 minutes ago, UpTheDonald said:

Just for the slight chance you are not the 2. account of a certain forumite....

Moskva recently got some fancy 50 mm plating on the bow as a buff and no even Yamato can't overmatch 50 mm. The 1480 dmg most likely was a stray shell that went into the superstructure for an overpen.